It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was there an atomic war roughly 10,000 years ago?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli
reply to post by tpg65

There is nothing in what you have written to suggest we naturally evolved .

I'm not going to go over human evolution for you. If you are a creationist, or a Battlestar Galacticationist, no one can change your mind.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one the whole "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" is wearing thin for.

This has all happened before in season 3 episode 8 of the re imagined Battlestar Galactica and it will keep happening again all the way until the final scene in the last episode of season 4.

It was a clever line in a made for television science fiction drama, not some missing text from the Bhāgavata Purāṇa.

ATS, sometimes you are your own worst enemy.

edit on 27-11-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

How very human , to mock what threatens our beliefs

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think the text from the OP was very loosly translated.
The text is over 20000 years old. After modern interpretations the meaning could've changed.

By the way this line made me wonder:
"The first section of the Mahabharata states that it was Ganesha who, at the request of Vyasa, wrote down the text to Vyasa's dictation." Ganesh is god of art as far as i remember.
In case that the text actually describes an old atomic war one might think who the hell is this Vyasa guy is if his thoughts were written down by god of art. I don't believe in god/gods but ganesh sure must've been someone important.

By the way, how can it be that the Mahabharata itself is around 20000 years old and the atomic war was 10000 years ago.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
We should get back on topic.

ATS is allowed to be imaginative, no? People are going to come from all walks of life with all sorts of different beliefs. At the end of the day I don't know if I'm right. The thing is we're dabbling in a topic that is well beyond us. Cling to the ledge of the ivory tower of decided truths, or be imaginative or keep looking. The possibilities are really something else, and that itself shapes this thread for what it should be, a good discussion.

It's hard between here and youtube to find the difference of opinion not hurting someone. Look about it realistically, but don't be so serious and self-asserted, #.

Does anyone know what rural and strange places emit a lot of strange radioactivity? I haven't bothered reading into it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Another possibility is it was just an asteroid that hit the earth. That would explain the radiation.
edit on 27-11-2011 by planetdevildog because: typo

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spotless
The text is over 20000 years old. After modern interpretations the meaning could've changed.

I think you added a 0 there. There are no texts 20,000 years old. The Mahabharata was written in Sanskrit, a language that didn't exist 20,000 years ago. I assume it's based on an older oral tradition, but the text is not that old.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Not likely. The work that goes into and science to it all, its all but impossible. This could be caused by an impact of a meteor or comet perhaps. That is what some scientist have said happened in Sodom and Gorrorah.

edit on 26-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

It helps if you know the CONTEXT in which these accounts are made.

The Indian epics recount tales of actual people not gods. the characters in the stories were later exulted to mythic proportions but the ruins that exist to this day prove these accounts did occur. do some research on the topic first before voicing a malformed opinion.

Im from Sri Lanka and even we have an area of jungle that demonstrates higher than normal levels or background radiation where nothing grows. this all ties in with the wars that that were reported in the epic Ramayana. These are not meteor strikes and its a joke to assume such.

Truth is stranger than fiction because what you thought was truth was just a fabrication of your history to make you feel supreme. western scientific advancement is not the epitome of human civilization, its just the most advanced we have this time around. the cycle of rise and fall will continue until we learn to live more civilized and not just technologically advanced.
edit on 27-11-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli
reply to post by tpg65

There is nothing in what you have written to suggest we naturally evolved .

I'm not going to go over human evolution for you. If you are a creationist, or a Battlestar Galacticationist, no one can change your mind.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one the whole "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" is wearing thin for.

This has all happened before in season 3 episode 8 of the re imagined Battlestar Galactica and it will keep happening again all the way until the final scene in the last episode of season 4.

It was a clever line in a made for television science fiction drama, not some missing text from the Bhāgavata Purāṇa.

ATS, sometimes you are your own worst enemy.

How very human , to mock what threatens our beliefs

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

Correct me if need be, however was it not a little known author named Phillip K. Dick who wrote a short story titled "Do androids dream of electric sheep" that would go on to be the basis for Ridley Scott's 1982 seminal masterwork Bladerunner where the origin of the phrase "More Human than Human" first caught some notoriety within the lexicon of the English language?

Specifically, I recall the phrase was used to describe a type of breakthrough in robotics technology making the new product so lifelike they were described as being "more human than human".

The band White Zombie even wrote a song some years later in an odd ... tribute...of sorts...

I am compelled to ask by your comment, do you consider yourself to be something other than human?

Regardless, one persons beliefs on these boards are another persons memories of sci-fi nostalgia. Who I am to rock the boat(see where a passing familiarity with oddball literature can get ya)....

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jspencer98
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Good find! Most likely no, unless some kinda alien war

The government lies to us is because there are layers upon layers of civilizations and governments who have lied and covered up things, going back to the earliest ages of man on this planet. An atomic war before the manhattan project existed and before the atomic age. Easier to tell lies than suffer back cramps gorging out the truth.

Guy I was talking to at the salvation army was talking about a murder trial of this sick person who killed like six women, they were talking about it on MSNBC and the FBI just let this guy get away with it. Basically look at greece the Peloponnesian war there, you know absolutely Pericles would have used nukes on Sparta if he had them! Funny coincidences in life. Aliens would be the ones supplying the Nuclear Winter weapons to Mohenjo Daro humans. Does cosmic war profiteers sound real as today's black budget contractors?
edit on 27-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i know some stuff about this

a read about unexplained melted walls from fortresses...
radiation etc..

also there vere couple of these "greatest ancient weapons"
like en.wikipedia.org...

its no joke, but it wasnt a nuclear war, those weapons were better.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
reply to post by DrunkenDonuts

I appreciate what you're saying but how could we have advanced without industry?

Invention is almost never something created form scratch. There's a flow on effect from one thing to another. Radar becomes the micro wave oven. The telescope becomes the microscope. One discovery becomes something usefull to the next discovery or one invention is useful to the next invention. The circuit board we know today has its roots all the way back to the big clumsy copper wire strands of old connecting two big clumsy points of power together.

How could a civilisation which shows no evidence of mechanical electronic technology split an atom? Before you can build a chamber you first need to mine the materials and create all the little bits and pieces that would go into creating that technology. That can't be done with a few bits of iron ore sitting at the surface. And all those little bits and pieces must first be invented for other reasons.

The switch for a light bulb was invented before the switch to a nuclear powerplant. Could you imagine a couple of hundred years ago someone just poping up and saying "look I invented a hadron collider"? No because electricity had to come first.

Good point - I often wondered this myself. Then again, if we use up all the fossil fuels now - get wiped out and have to start over again - why would our decedents go down the same path as us. All the easy to get coal and oil are gone. Erosion/corrosion will make all signs of industry to vanish.

The old Atlantis tales might shed some light. There were stories of them using crystals as their only power source. If they had this unlimited power from crystals, why would they need to go along our same path of fossil fuels and coal mining? The crystals could have been everywhere...and over mined out of existence. Their industry/civilization footprint would have been considerable smaller than ours.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Correct me if need be, however was it not a little known author named Phillip K. Dick who wrote a short story titled "Do androids dream of electric sheep" that would go on to be the basis for Ridley Scott's 1982 seminal masterwork Bladerunner where the origin of the phrase "More Human than Human" first caught some notoriety within the lexicon of the English language?

Specifically, I recall the phrase was used to describe a type of breakthrough in robotics technology making the new product so lifelike they were described as being "more human than human".

The band White Zombie even wrote a song some years later in an odd ... tribute...of sorts...

I am compelled to ask by your comment, do you consider yourself to be something other than human?

Regardless, one persons beliefs on these boards are another persons memories of sci-fi nostalgia. Who I am to rock the boat(see where a passing familiarity with oddball literature can get ya)....

A Science fiction idea Cold-War Soviet era novel, more Raman than a Raman? I liked the movie Legend and Black Hawk down, but now his movies are losing that original Ridley Scott flavor. I had no idea Bladerunner was so old, back then director's guts were to tackle a problem and make it a masterpiece. I know I am old when I nod to a bladerunner comment on a post about ancient Atomic war. I am glad the Russians launched Sputnik.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I expressed myself in a wrong way. The text itself is not that old but the stories told there are.

"The Krita Yuga also known as the Satya yuga, the First and Perfect Age, as described in the Mahabharata."

Men neither bought nor sold;
there were no poor and no rich;
there was no need to labour, because all that men required was obtained by the power of will;
the chief virtue was the abandonment of all worldly desires.
The Krita Yuga was without disease;
there was no lessening with the years;
there was no hatred or vanity, or evil thought whatsoever;
no sorrow, no fear.
All mankind could attain to supreme blessedness.

But yeah,i guess you're right. Some stories could've happened more recently (if they even happened that is).

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
reply to post by Ph0en1x

"...(it was) a single projectile

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Without a doubt. Although I don't know if it was 'Nuclear' per se but more likely some other technology, given they describe it as an 'iron' lightning bolt then I'd hazard a guess it's some sort of laser/plasma beam with similar results to a thermonuclear device.

That and the elaborate design of the Vimana, also detailed in the Sanskrit texts.

HOW CAN IT NOT BE WHAT THEY ARE TRYING THEIR BEST TO DESCRIBE WITH THEIR LIMITED UNDERSTANDING OF PHYSICS AND TECHNOLOGY?

Although, the actual appearance of the design of the Vimana is an incredible statement in itself.

Anyone who thinks these texts are saying something other than what they are obviously saying, that is, THESE GODS FLEW AROUND IN VEHICLES IN WHICH THEY SEEMED TO LIVE IN, AND WAGED MIGHTY WAR OVER THEIR HEADS, those people who cannot see this, are........in denial.

Sorry for the shouting but it is just ridiculous seeing these texts and reading them and not see what is really being described. That is, descriptions no different than Moses' account of the cloud that he entered to get the 10 commandments.

They are all ET's. The entity higher than them is the infinite creator/creation. I don't think any Human can really even comprehend it therefore if it were to manifest here then it's message would be to steer people towards the right path.

Without bringing RELIGION into the discussion I have wondered if certain people throughout time have been this respective manifestation.

Sanskrits Veda— Skunkworks?

There was a nuclear war that involved them and up until that time they were advanced and had a high quality of life. Unless it was like today where the government (skunkworks) keeps things top secret, apocryphal that only people in the know would know how to technically describe these things. The layman are as dumb and kept down as we were in 9/11. Ok now it makes sense.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Maybe it was a random thing that took one day to complete.
An Alien having a bad day arrives in a small battle cruiser, to pick up some uranium and make some repairs.
His/Her/It's ship hovering over this part of India, is now spotted by the earthlings who begin hurling weapons at this ship.He/She/It hits the fire button on the joystick and dessimates 10,000 people.
Or 37, if the debunk is the correct story.
Then leaves.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat

Originally posted by yourboycal2
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Doesn't fit.
"An incandescent column....ROSE in all its splendor..."
I think that even primitive people knew the difference between "rose" and "fell". No way a comet would have "rose" from the ground.

I have no problems taking it exactly for what it is: a testimony of a new, terrifying weapon.
No need to filter it through our beliefs of how the past should look.

In actual fact. That sounds JUST like a meteor strike.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
history repeats itself...

humanity never learns...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
Im from Sri Lanka and even we have an area of jungle that demonstrates higher than normal levels or background radiation where nothing grows. this all ties in with the wars that that were reported in the epic Ramayana. These are not meteor strikes and its a joke to assume such.

Truth is stranger than fiction because what you thought was truth was just a fabrication of your history to make you feel supreme. western scientific advancement is not the epitome of human civilization, its just the most advanced we have this time around. the cycle of rise and fall will continue until we learn to live more civilized and not just technologically advanced.

Scandinavians are strange (some of them believe their culture was seeded by aliens). And they still talk about Frost giants and women sitting in cardinal directions in a church. The Ramayana makes the Westerner battle of Troy look (not like an epic) but like a recess quarrel over stolen toys. In actuality that isn't far from what the War of Troy was. The "Gods" were not real but the Human actors like Agamemnon believed so.
"Sing, goddess, of Achilles ruinous anger
And cast the souls of many stalwart heroes
To Hades, and their bodies to the dogs
And birds of prey."

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty

Originally posted by steveknows
reply to post by DrunkenDonuts

I appreciate what you're saying but how could we have advanced without industry?

Invention is almost never something created form scratch. There's a flow on effect from one thing to another. Radar becomes the micro wave oven. The telescope becomes the microscope. One discovery becomes something usefull to the next discovery or one invention is useful to the next invention. The circuit board we know today has its roots all the way back to the big clumsy copper wire strands of old connecting two big clumsy points of power together.

How could a civilisation which shows no evidence of mechanical electronic technology split an atom? Before you can build a chamber you first need to mine the materials and create all the little bits and pieces that would go into creating that technology. That can't be done with a few bits of iron ore sitting at the surface. And all those little bits and pieces must first be invented for other reasons.

The switch for a light bulb was invented before the switch to a nuclear powerplant. Could you imagine a couple of hundred years ago someone just poping up and saying "look I invented a hadron collider"? No because electricity had to come first.

Good point - I often wondered this myself. Then again, if we use up all the fossil fuels now - get wiped out and have to start over again - why would our decedents go down the same path as us. All the easy to get coal and oil are gone. Erosion/corrosion will make all signs of industry to vanish.

The old Atlantis tales might shed some light. There were stories of them using crystals as their only power source. If they had this unlimited power from crystals, why would they need to go along our same path of fossil fuels and coal mining? The crystals could have been everywhere...and over mined out of existence. Their industry/civilization footprint would have been considerable smaller than ours.

And there is something that people don't stop to think about. If we do go bottom up tomorrow there is no starting again. Well at least not for millions of years. We would be stone age after what materials are left have been used up time and again. All the resources are so deep in the gound today or are so rare that we have to blow up a mountian to get a few tons of material that without heavy machinery we can't do it. So if the engines stop tomorrow we're a stone age people and never to progress again. Not even to make bronze swords. We just won't be able to mine it.

300 years ago resources were sitting at or just below the surface and as we progressed in technology and machinery we could go deeper to get it. If we go bottom up tomorrow the resources are no longer sitting at or just below the surface. There'll be no pulling it out with pick and bucket as there was in the beginning.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ph0en1x
That sounds a lot like an atomic weapon. The author goes on to say that it might just be a poetic way to mention the ancient warfare. I am, however, very intrigued by this. I am not claiming that this is a proof of advanced civilization in ancient times or anything of that nature. I just wanted to get ATSers' opinion on what they think. It is curious to say the least.

10,000 years ago = 8,000 BCE. During the year 7911 BC, seven massive volcanic eruptions affected the planet. Ash, lava, rocks, and clouds blanketed large sections of the planet. Roughly 5,000,000 people were alive to witness the geological events that were taking place.

edit on 11/27/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join