It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix
I could care less what the Queen or any of the English think

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Americans couldn't care less what that old bag thinks.

A prime example of the subject matter, I think! One Yank says "could care less", which when you think about it makes no sense in context and the other says "couldn't care less", which is of course the correct and sensible way of saying it

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
'I could care less'

* bangs head against wall *

You mean you COULD NOT care less.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by Flyer

John Cleese ridiculing American football is also a good watch:

edit on 25-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

John Cleese kills me. One of my idols.

That football thing is spot on.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Here's another one that grates:

US English: I could use a coffee.

So how exactly are you going to ''use'' it ? It's a drink of coffee, so you're really only going to drink it.

Why not just say ''I could drink a coffee'' ? Or, as that sounds a bit awkward, why not just make a simple, clear and concise statement along the lines of: ''I would like a coffee'' ?!

:bnghd:

Ha ha - that was a good one!

Anyways, just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your replies.

And now I'm off to "take" my bath.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Huh? I was ready to jump in on your side, but according to the Periodic Table and International Chemistry designations, it really does have an extra "i"!! I would have never believed it.

Web Elements

Indeed, like most things the US has it's own version which hardly anyone else uses. For example, the rest of the World uses SDH in telecoms with a defined standard, whereas the US uses SONET with different standards or the US has it's own version of Imperial measurements, different from the actual Imperial measurements which, ironically, no-one really uses these days anyway.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
How Americans spell words doesn't bother me if they want to call it their own language... American. Or at least American English, and not just on drop down lists in MS Word.

But you can't say you speak and write in English if you spell it different from the English language... that just means you are spelling it wrong. I can hardly start writing 'compyouter' instead of 'computer' and still call it English. I could call it My own form of English but for some strange reason I'm not in my own country so I don't think anyone would take notice

Lets not get onto the fact that Americans don't know what a billion is, or any number above it.

100 = One Hundred
1000 = One thousand
10,000 = Ten Thousand
100,000 = One Hundred Thousand
1,000,000 = One Million
10,000,000 = Ten Million
100,000,000 = One Hundred Million
1000,000,000 - One THOUSAND Million

It follows a pattern people, we shouldn't have to change the way we count our money to match a country that can't count.

Of course I'm sure we don't need translators to sort this out so I suppose there just might, possibly, be more important things. Maybe.

Except the numbers, it can genuinely get confusing in England (And I guess the rest of the UK) trying to decide if someone is using Americas system of numbers or not.
edit on 25-11-2011 by StevenDye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
LOL at the bookworm inching along
in the background

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
How Americans spell words doesn't bother me if they want to call it their own language... American. Or at least American English, and not just on drop down lists in MS Word.

Thats another thing that gets me, they have to put "English (American)" on program installations because some Americans would be too stupid to install it thinking it was for English people only.

I mean, you dont see "German (Austrian)" because Austrians know they have to used the German installation.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It's hilarious seeing some of these replies - from who I can only assume are hillbillies, hicks and rednecks - about the US supposedly beating England in the late 18th-century.

OK. Fair enough. But why can't you get your own language, legal system, culture and goodness knows what else, which you slavishly adopted and followed from England's lead ?

Let's face it, the entire nation of the USA is little more than a ''mini-me'' satellite state of Britain.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Which country / region is it that pronounces "Solder" as "Sadur" ?

That's a really odd way to pronounce an "L" :-)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soldita
dear english midgets brush your teeth do some push ups and come here and say that to my face promise i will # you up little faggots

LOL.

Although, this is no laughing matter. This is yet more proof of the failings in the US education system. I heard, in a recent report, that the education standards are practically third-world in some parts of the USA.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by soldita

Behave young man (or woman)!

No need for that. Play nice or sod off. Ta.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yankees earned the right to bastardize the language when we saved the Brits from Hitler.
Otherwise, you would be speaking German, like your ancient ancestors.

Hilarious. Although I dare say you should get some REAL history lessons. What you mean to say was: You entered the war at the last moment (after debating whether to join and support Hitler's fascist regime), after hundreds of thousands of lives had already been lost and stole the glory?

Yeah sure.

We (yanks) should have joined Hiter's side. But we helped our sister country like a bunch of dogs. The world would be a safer place for democracy. All of the real advancements were made in Germany, only too bad Hitler and his Nazi brotherhood were psychopaths. Although Churchhill is a well noted dictator-type, just a few shades not as bad as hitler. The question of choosing the lesser evil there. I am still kind of mad that Hamilton discouraged Washington from helping france poor during their revolution.

We had to save their butts a couple of times. If our President wasn't Woodrow Wilson in 1914 (a head member of the KKK) then America would naturally have been on Germany and Bismark's side. We helped show Germany how to create a system that economically creates wealth of jobs and opportunity where you don't have to be a naval power. Try that for the ole British sense of humor. Starve ya boys, ok we'll feed ya now, cuz we gotta!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

Indeed..

In what is a light hearted thread, someone has to come and chest-thump, then to add icing on the cake, spouts tired old stereotypes. Would you do the same to a Chinese person or a Mexican (good at maths and lazy)? If you do, you're a racist...

What Americans are probably not aware of is this Comedian is famous for his hilairous ranting and does it as much towards British people as he might do against anyone else. Don't take it too seriously, he is a Comic after all. I don't think Chris Rock is a racist because of his ranting against Whites, because I can see the humour behind it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You Brits have alot of nerve!

Us american's are real good at making up some pretty potent swear words!

Bloody and Bugger don't cut it!

link   

link   
Reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Totally off topic, but yay, Nottingham! I used to live in Bingham
!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by soldita
dear english midgets brush your teeth do some push ups and come here and say that to my face promise i will # you up little faggots

LOL.

Although, this is no laughing matter. This is yet more proof of the failings in the US education system. I heard, in a recent report, that the education standards are practically third-world in some parts of the USA.

Enough of the "we're better than you" spiel. Lame, ignorant, and tiresome.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join