It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yankees earned the right to bastardize the language when we saved the Brits from Hitler.
Otherwise, you would be speaking German, like your ancient ancestors.

Hilarious. Although I dare say you should get some REAL history lessons. What you mean to say was: You entered the war at the last moment (after debating whether to join and support Hitler's fascist regime), after hundreds of thousands of lives had already been lost and stole the glory?

Yeah sure.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

Add to that the confusion caused by variable enunciation of Arkansas the state with Arkansas the city in Kansas.

For instance if you live in Kansas then you commonly enunciate Arkansas as r-kansas, whereas if you live in the state of Arkansas then you commonly, mostly, or perhaps always enunciate Arkansas as r-kan-saw.

At any rate, the Scottish have a way of expressing a particular line that I find amusing (in a good way): "I think you'll find that's LEGAL TENDER!"

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Before I go into town for the annual lighting of the courthouse in Johnson City, I must tell you this. I used to get the flu before I started taking Bee Pollen daily. I started Bee Pollen to fight allergies, and it works. But, not getting the flu anymore is a great side affect.
Off topic, I know.
Enjoy a good Ale when you get better!
Cheers.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

We don't talk about how pasty, and frail English people look when they are at the beach. Pool shoes at the beach? Really? How about the fact I literally threw up in my mouth because this lady had absolutely no clue that in America and bikini line is NOT attractive.

Hey "Situation", has Jersey Shore already wrapped shooting for this season?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kovenov

At any rate, the Scottish have a way of expressing a particular line that I find amusing (in a good way): "I think you'll find that's LEGAL TENDER!"

Haha, yeah, the English don't like our money much. ASDA (now owned by Wallmart) are the worst for it.

"What do you mean you won't take my money?!"

Give an English person a Scottish fiver if you want a real laugh.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The English language had no standardization until/about the 18th century.

British English spelling standards follow closely to the "A Dictionary of the English Language" by Samuel Johnson, written in 1755.

American English spelling standards follow closely to the "An Amercian Dictionary of the English Language", written by Noah Webster in 1828.

Americans and Brits do not sound the same when the language is spoken so it's clearly fair and righteous that the spellings of a few words be different.

It's like that argument about what side of the car should the steering wheel be placed, or should a multi-tenant building's individual units be called "flats" or "apartments". Each nation is correct in their own respect; and nobody else in the world really cares.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Hey, we had to go save the Chinese too. It takes a while to manufacture the kind of hardware it takes to save the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I never understood why the British pronounce "aluminum" as "aluminium".
There is no second "i" in the word...

edit on 11/25/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Yes there is but rather than spell words correctly, they have to change the spelling to an easier one.

Colour, aluminium, sulphate etc.
At least the Canadians keep the right spelling.

John Cleese also has a good clip on youtube with the "could care less" which virtually all Americans say but it makes no sense and I have a big laugh at someone proving me right about 5 posts from the start.

edit on 25-11-2011 by Flyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

We don't talk about how pasty, and frail English people look when they are at the beach. Pool shoes at the beach? Really? How about the fact I literally threw up in my mouth because this lady had absolutely no clue that in America and bikini line is NOT attractive.

Hey "Situation", has Jersey Shore already wrapped shooting for this season?

What are you talking about? Did I hint at being Italian? Either you read into that more than you should have, or you made a feeble attempt at being funny.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
Why would you change your speaking habits overseas? I can understand your behaviour, and really get bent out of shape when overseas travellers come here and act like they would at home, but the way people speak is often ingrained into them from the moment they can speak. It's more about manners and decorum than changing a personal habit when dealing with others.

LOL.

I'm not saying that I would put a fake American accent on !

What I'm saying is that I've met ignorant yanks in my city who ask me where the nearest ''freeway'' is. If they don't know that these are called motorways in this country, then perhaps they should look at another holiday destination ( sorry, ''vacation'' ).

I've even had some yanks asking me where the ''downtown'' area of my city is. I don't even know what ''downtown'' means. I just have to politely ( through gritted teeth ) inform them that I can't help them with their question.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Say it how you like, but spell it properly!

The thing is, the differences in spelling are both proper. The problem is that there is no regulating body that can regulate spelling and grammar within the language. Until then, I guess we'll just have to get along.

While I'm thinking about it, I remember a few months back, I did some reading to about how the colonialists would have sounded. I was surprised to learn that the accent that Americans have now is more akin to the British accent from back then than the British accent from today! At some point after the Revolutionary War, the aristocrats in Britain started talking differently and this way of talking eventually made it's way down to the common folk. That said, it sort of explains why people in New England sound the way that they do. The New Englanders had more contact with the British than the rest of the US and the accent started to rub off on them.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Aaaaand the winners of the "Completely missing the point of the thread" award go to 31Bravo, MarkScheppy, korathin & aaaaaaand cluckerspud!

Thanks for your contribution guys, I'm glad you could join us and share your insight.
edit on 25/11/11 by eightfold because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

"Can someone translate that into English for me?" - An American.

Truth is I could care less.

S&F

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
ah 'I could care less' the source of all my hatred for america.
pls we don't really care what you say aslong as it make's sense.
oh and don't use no double negative's.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
Aaaaand the winners of the "Completely missing the point of the thread" award go to 31Bravo, MarkScheppy, korathin & aaaaaaand cluckerspud!

Thanks for your contribution guys, I'm glad you could join us and share your insight.
edit on 25/11/11 by eightfold because: (no reason given)

No my friend, I didn't miss any point of the thread
I simply threw back some cultural differences that may have seemed to be considered stereo typical. I'm not upset at all, in fact, I S&F the thread
I simply threw back reverse jokes and two people members obviously don't like come backs
By the way, if this was meant to be a joke it's in the wrong forum.. just sayin.

ETA: If you're going to make threads that throw punches like this expect to have some comin' back at ya.. point is we're all on this mud ball together.. get over the petty differences already

31b
edit on 25-11-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

link   

Really made my day!

Cute and wish I could give you more than just one star for the video.

link   
reply to post by octotom

While I'm thinking about it, I remember a few months back, I did some reading to about how the colonialists would have sounded. I was surprised to learn that the accent that Americans have now is more akin to the British accent from back then than the British accent from today! At some point after the Revolutionary War, the aristocrats in Britain started talking differently and this way of talking eventually made it's way down to the common folk. That said, it sort of explains why people in New England sound the way that they do. The New Englanders had more contact with the British than the rest of the US and the accent started to rub off on them.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

I think you're correct, I read a similar thing a while back (maybe the same thing) and another poster mentioned it somewhere in this thread.

That said... put the "u" back in colour please. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

John Cleese ridiculing American football is also a good watch:

edit on 25-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Och, fair enough. It didn't seem in keeping with the very tongue in cheek nature of the thread, apologies, I'll take the award back and save it for someone else.

It's in the right forum... "education & media" pretty much exactly descibes what it is? It's not a joke anymore than the American's bastardisation of our language is!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by 74Templar
Why would you change your speaking habits overseas? I can understand your behaviour, and really get bent out of shape when overseas travellers come here and act like they would at home, but the way people speak is often ingrained into them from the moment they can speak. It's more about manners and decorum than changing a personal habit when dealing with others.

LOL.

I'm not saying that I would put a fake American accent on !

What I'm saying is that I've met ignorant yanks in my city who ask me where the nearest ''freeway'' is. If they don't know that these are called motorways in this country, then perhaps they should look at another holiday destination ( sorry, ''vacation'' ).

I've even had some yanks asking me where the ''downtown'' area of my city is. I don't even know what ''downtown'' means. I just have to politely ( through gritted teeth ) inform them that I can't help them with their question.

Yeah I get that lol.
I find a civics and language lesson is order when I have friends from overseas staying here, I do have to admit I get a little laugh at the blank stares when we use an Aussie colloquialism here, like "goin to the dunny", it does cause some confusion.
In my travels overseas I have had some confusion, I just try to remember my manners and be polite when asking for things. First time I went to the US I asked someone where the toilet was and got a blank look until my friend established I was after the "bathroom."
Oh and btw, if you are English PLEASE do not put on an American accent!! It is possibly the most horrid thing my ears have ever heard, as most of you Sanctuary fans will know

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join