It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by DisIllusioned PatRiot

My intention wasn't to lump all Americans in to one bracket. I know that some Americans appreciate the finer points of the English points. In fact, I'm really not too bothered how much someone outside the UK chooses to bastardise the Queen's English.

However, I'm more irritated on two parts:

1. That some American English ''lazyisms'' have permeated into British English.

2. That many yankees, when they're abroad, tend to totally disregard and disrespect their host nation, and arrogantly act as if they're still in the US.

If I went to the US, then I would change the British English terms that I use, if they were not understandable in the US, to the commonly recognised US English alternatives, such as footpath/sidewalk, motorway/freeway, shopping trolley/shopping cart, etc.

Although, I may still use a term like ''wanker'', if some of them really irritated me.

Why would you change your speaking habits overseas? I can understand your behaviour, and really get bent out of shape when overseas travellers come here and act like they would at home, but the way people speak is often ingrained into them from the moment they can speak. It's more about manners and decorum than changing a personal habit when dealing with others.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

Slightly off topic, I live in PA USA, I am English and have an American wife. Her friend came over for thanks giving and we got chatting. I asked, if you (Americans) clearly hear that my accent is English why do you call me British? I get that I am British but the country I am from is England, I don't call Canadians North American. Well I rattled their cage big style with no answers. I said if you heard a Scottish accent would you call them British too . .no they wouldn't. They were saying well someone from Texas bla bla . .I had to stop them and say well . .although Texans want to be their own country, they are not, they are part of America, there for Americans. Wow . .what a debate .. is it just me or does it tick anyone else off (by anyone else I actually mean English folk) when Americans call the English British? Oh and I have no problems with America, I love the country and my adorable American wife
. . .oh and just one more thing, someone posted something about teeth, we don't all have bad teeth, I have seen some terrible gnashers while living over here .. is there a silent G on that ha ha

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Here's another one that grates:

US English: I could use a coffee.

So how exactly are you going to ''use'' it ? It's a drink of coffee, so you're really only going to drink it.

Why not just say ''I could drink a coffee'' ? Or, as that sounds a bit awkward, why not just make a simple, clear and concise statement along the lines of: ''I would like a coffee'' ?!

:bnghd:

I actually get that one. It is just a shunted statement. "I could drink a coffee," is just silly, we know you could drink one. "I would like a coffee," isn't descriptive for what you are trying to say. "I could use a coffee," with the implied to get me going, is a more descriptive sentence.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

We drink a lot of Real Ale (TM) beers. We also brew our own, and in fact, we operate a small business selling supplies to the home brew market.
Out in the hill country of Texas, Obama voters drink REAL beer right next to Ron Paul supporters. The yahoos drink the "American" beers as the foreigners call them. Budweiser got bought out by a European company.
It is really funny how everyone has their stereotypes.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Coffee contains Caffeine. A drug. You use drugs.
Do we have to tell the Brits EVERYTHING?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Funny! He's adorable. But what's wrong with "sidewalk"? What do you guys say?

Just one other thing. Veneers. Crowns. Caps. Braces. Whiteners. lol. Apparently the English don't have a word for those because they've never heard of them. lol. Just joking!

English people are way cool, and the accent is sexy.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

Haha, excellent! I take it all back. I'm an ale fan (pale ales, I like them to taste like grapefruit and be light, I'm not a fan of beers with tons of molasses).

A couple of my local pubs sell various ales on rotation, plus a few of my closest friends brew their own beer and wines. It's a bit off topic but what kind of ales do you brew?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Funny! He's adorable. But what's wrong with "sidewalk"? What do you guys say?

We say "pavement." To be fair I agree with him that "sidewalk" makes a lot more sense.

Just one other thing. Veneers. Crowns. Caps. Braces. Whiteners. lol. Apparently the English don't have a word for those because they've never heard of them. lol. Just joking!

That's alllll you lot have got?!

English people are way cool, and the accent is sexy.

I'm glad you think so. My accent is Scottish, my lovely girlfriend is a big fan of it, especially when I have a cold & a sore throat.

She sounds quite like David Mitchell, all posh like.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

We do a fair amount of IPA recipes. Some Porters and Wheats. No Scottish Ales, nothing too sticky.
Great thread, btw. A lot of fun.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hey whatever gets the point across works good enough for me! I don't expect or need proper sentences and correct spelling of words to understand what someones trying to tell, unless it's in a formal piece then its to be expected.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I never understood why the British pronounce "aluminum" as "aluminium".
There is no second "i" in the word...

edit on 11/25/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Er yes there is.

en.wikipedia.org...

Aluminium or aluminum (US English) is a silvery white member of the boron group of chemical elements.

Like armour not armor, Colour not colour, grey not gray, axe not ax.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

You mean "ask" not "axe."
That isn't a UK/USA difference, that is one right here inside the US that is extremely annoying!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

The IPA's are nice, my local sells Jaipurs, it's one of my favourites.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I'm half dying of the flu and it's been an entertaining and interesting way to pass the evening, it's great loads of people put in their 2p.

I do love ATS, where else would you end up chatting to an American about IPA's?

edit on 25/11/11 by eightfold because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This guy gave me a headache.

I couldn't care any less about him since I care nothing at all.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I believe the correct way to phrase it is ; "yeah we kicked your limey asses, get over it !!!!"

two times !!!!!!

Pfft if we're going down that route, you beat our arses with OUR inventions. Our tactics, our experience and our methods.

We burned down your whitehouse AFTER we lost and drank your wine, stole your goods and had a great time on the retreat.

Good thread though, all in fun.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by satellite1

It sort of annoys me a bit when English people call me British, I'm Scottish, so I can see where you're coming from. It's silly and pedantic but it comes from the in built patriotism that all Scottish people seem to have (because you English ******** kept on trying to invade I imagine!).

The whole thing is very tongue in cheek (this whole thread is), it does generate interesting conversation tho, as you found out in your debate with the Texans!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Your just jealous that American English is more civilized and advanced then the primitive British English usage. That aside remember that most American's are not of English decent, and the only reason most American's speak English is do to the whole "fear of being lynched/murdered by crazy, bigoted English American's". The English really are a barbaric and uncivilized people, but I digress.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Just evolution of language my good man. My Scots, Irish, Cajun French and Indian (Native American for all the PC puppets out there) accent would probably drive you nuts. Much the same way Mexican Spanish would drive the Spaniards crazy and let's not forget Brazilian Portuguese, vastly different from that spoken in Portugal and having picked up some Portuguese from my wife, trying to listen to Brazilians drives me nuts. Being removed from the mother tongue and exposed to other languages and dialects creates new ones. Not necessarily right or wrong, just different. I guess that's why the English language has some elements of French, German and Latin in it.

Fun thread by the way. Love the Scots accent and you have a beautiful country. Want to come visit again sometime.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
One of the UK's best comedians and commentators produced a video educating Americans on the use of proper English. A search for it turned up nothing so here it is for your pleasure and derision, which one likely depends on what part of the world your from. It made me laugh in any case.

Unlike David & the Queen, "aloominum" and "tomAAto" do get on my nerves a tiny bit.

However, colour/color provokes a fury that would put the USA's recent "war" based aggression to shame. It comes up in my job on a daily basis and it, to use an English phrase, does my nut in.

Americans, sort it out. At very least put the U back in colour? Please?

PS Any correction of my inevitably ropey grasp of my own language will be met with derision, ignorance and pointing out that I am in fact Scottish. I'm entitled to use and abuse the language in the same way the Americans do.

As far as I know the letter U is in the word OUT as in BAIL OUT, about 300 billion went to the UK. Of the trillion dollar Congress Bailout about 300 billion went to the UK. It's a question thesis analysis. London bankers become the de facto advisors to Obama, so UK comics make fun of Americans now the way American comedians made fun of Bushy Jr about eight years ago.

UK comedians aren't very funny anyway, I heard one once, and they are like Black comedians here in the states. The Blacks punchlines, "Well you know, those WHITE people.. They like to, and those White people!!" The UK comedians are the same substitute WHITE people for, "Well yous know those AMERICANS, they like to.. and AMERICANS well you know." The English people are the worst to educate anyone on proper english. They haven't come up with any new vocabulary words in Ages except all the dirty folk slang. Bullocks, Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff He's Winnie the Pooh.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I don't know where the guy from the video got his information from, but I've always said "I couldn't care less".. I think the English make things up to dog America. The UK is what? miles and miles away... we freed ourselves from your tyranny over 200 years ago and we changed your language.. so what? We don't talk about how pasty, and frail English people look when they are at the beach. Pool shoes at the beach? Really? How about the fact I literally threw up in my mouth because this lady had absolutely no clue that in America a bikini line is NOT attractive. Point is we all are annoying in so many ways.. but I always have kept my opinions to myself.

edit on 25-11-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join