It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.S. carrier sent to Syrian coast as tensions flare

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by P12SOLD

The same thing could be said about World War II but look at how fast the USA and the World mobilized. NOw look at the drastic differences in the 21st century. Different world indeed but the mobilization in all apsects by all involved would be so damn rapid and the killing would be so far more immense in way less time. The whole dang thing is insane and the whole world knows it. Not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

I'm not so sure given that in the prelude to WW2 most people thought similar thoughts that "the bomber would always get through" mixed with the total war they thought would be fought (being bombed by chemical and biological WMDs) would make war nasty and swift yet the WMD gloves didn't really** come off until the closing stages of WW2.

So I'm inclined to believe a similar(ish) path of fighting around MAD would ensue until the closing stages and then all hell would be unleashed.. in my opinion the resurrection of weapons like the earthquake bombs from the 1940s in the guise of MOP leads me to assume they are working towards a more conventional style of war.

Just as in the same way every nation that could worked hard to built fighters to combat the threat of the "bomber will always get through" today we focus on ABMs combating the threat of ICBMs.. the similarities are there and I find them pretty scary.. the playing field fighter vs bomber levelled just before WW2 in the same way ABM vs ICBM is levelling today..

My hope is that humanity will find a way to avoid such a confrontation however it seems to me those in charge are heading in this direction and on this I hope I am wrong.

**excluding Japans use of such weapons on non westerners.
edit on 25/11/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You left the Belgian's out: They make the M249 SAW, M240, and the SCAR.
And Italians make our M9s and M1014s.

My point was our high tech gear: drones (Northrop Grumman, General Atomics, Boston Dynamics), railguns (General Atomics, I know BAE has a program too.), exoskeletons (Raytheon), electrolasers (Applied Energetics), etc. is homegrown.

I do have to thank the Germans though for the Abrams. I used to be on armor or "armour" as you call it years ago, before moving on to elsewhere.

If it hadn't been for the joint MBT-70 program there wouldn't be an M1.
edit on 25/11/11 by MikeboydUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The US attempts restraint.

I dont get it. How is pre-empive war showing restraint. Using the argument that the US could have killed 10s of millions as opposed to millions somehow makes it kind of ok does not make sense to me.

These wars should never have taken place....

Kind regards to you...

purp...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
THE “Admiral Kuznetsov” class aircraft carrier is currently off the coast of Malta and heading for eastern Mediterranean from their base in the Barents Sea.

Informed sources have said that the Russian navy and Israeli military will hold joint exercises next week close to Cyprus Exclusive Economic Zone.

The exercises are slated to begin on the 28th November and last a week.

Commentators say that Russia is determined to send the message that they have invested interests in the region and will secure them.

It is understood that the aircraft carrier is carrying 24-fixed wing planes and a number of helicopters. It has also been reported in the press that the Russian navy may request to use port facilities at Limassol.

The radio report also claimed that three Russian destroyers are currently anchored off the Syrian coast.

p00hbear

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I didn't say it was ok...please read what I posted again.

I clearly state that the amount of civilians killed is totally unacceptable and that the US has to try to do something about it.
There are far too many deaths as a result of mistakes, complacency and who knows what other reasons.

However, I think it should be recognised that a large number of these deaths are as a direct result of The Taliban and other 'insurgents' using civilians as human shields and deliberately putting them in danger knowing full well the possible implications for these civilians and the propoganda opportunity if anything should happen to them.

As an aside, I wonder how many innocent civilians have been killed by Sunni suicide bombers over the years.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I know it by no means excuses or detracts from the civlian deaths caused by the US but it would be refreshing if some people reserved some of their indignation for the perpetrators of these acts as well.

ETA
Just to add.

No wars should take place mate...but sometimes you just got to stand up and be counted.....
Should we have allowed Saddam to continue persecuting and poisoning his own people?
Should we have allowed The Taliban to regain control of Afghanistan, against the wishes of the vast majority of Afghans and impose their barbaric rule of Sharia on a people who don't want it?
Could we afford to let The Taliban spread their influence and probably control into Pakistan and other areas within the Middle East?
Could we in the UK allow The Taliban to continue training home grown terrorists who were intent on killing innocent British civilians?

Of course we were lied to.
Bush and Blair should be trialled for their crimes.
And we seriously misjudged the fierce Iraqi and Afghani sense of independance, ignored their wishes and arrogantly and condescendingly chose to impose Western 'democracy' upon them and install puppet governments.

Do we now pull out and watch them slaughter each other?
How will India react if The Taliban or their supporters gain control in Pakistan?

There are no easy answers and nothing is black and white.
Apportioning blame solely at the feet of the US / UK is grossly inaccurate, unfair and plain wrong.

I suspect for real change to occur it requires a degree of openess and honesty that far too few people seem to have.

Apologies for the rant.

Regards purp
edit on 25/11/11 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by p00hbear
THE “Admiral Kuznetsov” class aircraft carrier is currently off the coast of Malta and heading for eastern Mediterranean from their base in the Barents Sea.

Seriously? When will these dubious news reports cease?

The Russian Navy Commander in Chief just inspected the Kuznetsov Carrier Battle Group yesterday. Guess what? He didn't have to fly to the Mediterranean

www.itar-tass.com...

People really need to take a step back and think about these bogus and inaccurate news reports.?When the Kuznetsov Carrier Battle Group actually deploys in December it will be reported in Norwegian media as NATO monitors its progress through areas of interest. The Russians Air Force strategic aviation bombers will also exercise with the Battle Group as it deploys either via the North Sea or Atlantic as it routinely does every time it deploys. These will also be monitored and intercepted by NATO assets. The Kuznetsov Battle Group conducts regular routine deployments and this one was annouced as far back as September 2011.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

his son.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
See thread by Gliese581

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The whole initial 'three Russian warships near Syria' was complete hype.

As already reported the only Russian warship in the Mediterranean at the time was the Smetlivy. Russian Admiral Selvanov has now confirmed this and that no Russian warships are currently in the Mediterranean. Smetlivy returned to the Black Sea after her exercises with NATO assets. The Russian base currently in Syria, Tartus has just the normal compliment of support vessels.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I just can't seem to stay away.

I wanted to say one more thing, In now way am I advocating war, if I had the power, I would make war disappear from all of our cultures and languages, but I don't.

All I was trying to do was five a little information about our capabilities, and almost gave too much.

I wish peace for all.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
reply to post by P12SOLD

No, many American's don't feel the same as these warmongers on here.

For those that do, may they burn in hell.

They salivate at the thought of destruction around the world, even a charred earth, if they "win"

I would hope so that is the case. But i fear though things will get far worse if your country, elects a republican for president in 2012
edit on 25-11-2011 by P12SOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
reply to post by P12SOLD

The same thing could be said about World War II but look at how fast the USA and the World mobilized. NOw look at the drastic differences in the 21st century. Different world indeed but the mobilization in all apsects by all involved would be so damn rapid and the killing would be so far more immense in way less time. The whole dang thing is insane and the whole world knows it. Not going to happen.

Hitler overextended his forces and that is reason why the allies won easily in the end. That could the States downfall in the end. Of course this is the draft.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Just to put the war mongering in perspective.

Russia Retaliates Against US: Puts Radar Station On Combat Alert
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by USAisdevil
reply to post by Mister_Bit

then overthrow your govt.If you care so much about your loved ones,WHY DID YOU PEOPLE MURDER MY LOVED ONES IN SERBIA?

To prevent the continued genocide of the muslim population at the hands of radical wingnuts who believe they are racially / morally superior.

Funny how that works.

Yes, the anglo-saxon kangaroo trials .war propaganda BS by NATO.
NATO backed kla and the croats in the genocide against serbs.
----------
Yugoslavia allowed--until the NATO bombings began-- opposition radio stations and dissident publications. Over twenty political parties had their own newspapers. There are more opposition parties in the Yugoslav parliament than in any other European parliament. Yet the federation was repeatedly labeled a dictatorship. Slobodan Milosovic was elected three times, twice as president of Serbia and more recently as president of Yugoslavia, in contests that foreign observers said had relatively few violations. Yet he is called a dictator.

In 1992, another blow was delivered against what remained of Yugoslavia: international sanctions. Led by the United States, a freeze was imposed on all trade to and from Yugoslavia, with disastrous results for the economy: hyperinflation, mass unemployment of up to 70 percent, malnourishment, and the collapse of the health care system.

Divide and Conquer

One of the great deceptions, notes Joan Phillips, is that "those who are mainly responsible for the bloodshed in Yugoslavia--not the Serbs, Croats or Muslims, but the Western powers--are depicted as saviors." While pretending to work for harmony U.S. leaders have supported the most divisive, reactionary forces from Croatia to Kosovo.

In Croatia, the West's man-of-the-hour was Franjo Tudjman, who claimed in a book he authored in 1989 that "the establishment of Hitler's new European order can be justified by the need to be rid of the Jews." He further asserted that only 900,000 Jews, not six million, were killed in the Holocaust. Tudjman's government adopted the fascist Ustasha checkered flag and, for its army, the straight-arm Nazi salute.

Tudjman presided over the forced evacuation of over half a million Serbs from Croatia between 1991 and 1995, replete with rapes and summary executions. This includes the 200,000 from Krajina in 1995, whose expulsion was facilitated by attacks from NATO war planes and missiles. Needless to say, U.S. leaders did nothing to stop and much to assist these atrocities. Tudjman and his cronies now reside in obscene wealth while the people of Croatia wallow in economic misery. The Croatian leadership has imposed a tightly controlled one-party press on the new "democracy." Anyone who criticizes the president risks incarceration. Yet the White House hails Croatia as a new democracy.

In Bosnia, the U.S. supported the Muslim fundamentalist Izetbegovic, an active Nazi collaborator in his youth, who wants to establish a religious Islamic republic (for Muslims only), and who has called for strict Islamic control over the media. Bosnia is now under IMF and NATO regency. It is not permitted to develop its own internal resources, nor allowed to extend credit or self- finance through an independent monetary system. Its state-owned assets, including energy, water, telecommunications, media and transportation, are being sold off to private firms at garage sale prices.

Meanwhile, the Serbian segment of Bosnia had its democratically elected president removed by NATO troops because he was thought to be a "hardliner" against free market reforms. This too was reported in the press as a necessary measure to advance democracy

NATO created KLA and encouraged the croats to start mass murder on serbs during the yugoslav civil war and NATO helps KLA in sex trade,drug trafficking and organ trafficing.So like how did NATO save us? Russia is our savior ,saved a number of serb families from NATO genocide.
www.newyouth.com...
--------------------
www.wariscrime.com...

dissidentvoice.org...

WHO'S THE KLA? GERMAN DOCUMENT REVEALS SECRET CIA ROLE By Gary Wilson The forces generating and sustaining the so-called Kosovo Liberation Army have remained mostly hidden. What's really behind the KLA has become more important now that President Bill Clinton has started a war against Yugoslavia. Many reports in the past have mentioned the covert forces involved with the KLA. For example, on July 15, 1998, PBS Newshour reported that U.S. Vietnam War veterans were training KLA mercenaries in Albania. Funding for the KLA has been shadowy, much of it funneled through drug sales. Almost every European newspaper has reported on the known ties between the KLA and the sales of illegal drugs in Europe. Only the U.S. media have ignored this story. The European media, however, don't mention the history of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency's use of illegal drug sales to funnel money to various covert operations. This record--from secret operations in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War to financing the contra war against Nicaragua-- has been documented. Recent media reports tie several imperialist military and spy agencies to the KLA. This is significant since both U.S. Secretary of Defense William Cohen and the top U.S. general, Henry Shelton, have said in the last week that the goal of the U.S. military operation against Yugoslavia is a victory for the KLA. On April 19, Canadian Member of Parliament David Price told reporters that 50 Canadian soldiers are working with the KLA in Kosovo to help report "where the bombs are falling" so they can better target "where the next bomb should go," UPI reported. Opposition to Canada's participation in the U.S. war on Yugoslavia is growing rapidly in that country. Jane's Defense Weekly reported April 20: "Special forces involvement confirmed." The report said that that special units from Britain, the United States, France "and other NATO groups'' were working undercover in Kosovo. The April 18 London Sunday Telegraph reported that SAS, a unit of the British special forces, is running two KLA training camps near Tirana, the Albanian capital. According to the Telegraph, the KLA units trained by SAS are infiltrating Kosovo, using satellite and cellular telephones to help guide NATO bombing missions. The same report said that the KLA also has contact with the Virginia-based MPRI, which is apparently expanding its role. MPRI is a shadowy operation--the Telegraph called it a professional mercenary organization--which was set up by top U.S. military officers.
www.serendipity.li...

www.resistance88.com...

edit on 26-11-2011 by USAisdevil because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2011 by USAisdevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

You really need to deal with your anger problems. NATO never wouldhaave needed to go itno the former Yugoslav republics had the wing nuts there not gone all genocide on muslims. Since you are incapable of fighting on your own, you know want Russia to do what you are incapable of doing.

When russia decides its in their natioanl interest to work with Europe and the US, instead of all sides nuking each other back into the 1990's yugoslavia, what then for you?

Will you toss Russia to the side and hope china nukes them to retaliate for not doing what you demand?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Hasn't this carrier group moved on now?

It was only in the area for a day or so while passing through..
No conspiracy or secret mission..

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333
Hasn't this carrier group moved on now?

It was only in the area for a day or so while passing through..
No conspiracy or secret mission..

Yep it passed by already and is in France.

Doesn't even appear to be gunboat diplomacy, but just hype by the media.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yep!! Gotta love ATS ans all the hype posted on here. Kids LOL. Go out and have fun....folks have fretted about WWIII for the last 40 years and there have been WAY MORE tense situations than going on right now...in fact what is happening now is so minor in comparison i wouldnt even call it a situations.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
What fun...whats next, o its laready started, Pakistan strafing, India to take out Pakistan. Over there to join the next WW3 hot potato.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join