It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.S. carrier sent to Syrian coast as tensions flare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Report: U.S. carrier sent to Syrian coast as tensions flare

news.yahoo.com...

The USS George H.W. Bush, the Navy’s newest aircraft carrier, has reportedly parked off the Syrian coast just as Americans are being urged by the U.S. embassy in Damascus to “immediately” leave the country.

“The U.S. embassy continues to urge U.S. citizens in Syria to depart immediately while commercial transportation is available,” began a statement released Wednesday on the embassy website. “The number of airlines serving Syria has decreased significantly since the summer, while many of those airlines remaining have reduced their number of flights.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24/11/11 by MikeboydUS because: url

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Amidst calls for all US citizens to leave Syria, the USS George H.W. Bush has arrived off the coast of Syria in clear defiance of Russian warships sent to help deter NATO from any action in Syria.

A perfect storm is brewing in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, with Russian President Medvedev threatening US installations in Poland, the delivery to the US Air Force of new 30,000 lb super bunker busters, Israel preparing for strikes on Iran, and Turkey providing sanctuary for rebel Syrian forces.

The stage is being set for a major conflict in the region, one that would provide a massive stimulus to the US/EU economies, but will NATO call Russia's bluff or will Russia back Syria and Iran militarily, leading to a wider war that could spiral out of control?

news.yahoo.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24/11/11 by MikeboydUS because: url

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Feels like that often used scene in movies, car teetering on the edge of a cliff, half on half off, cut to the people in the car, and someone says "Nobody move!" and everybody just looks at each other wide eyed, waiting for what we all know is going to happen next...

Who's gonna make a move?

I know with America and Russia, we've been playing this game for decades....Who's the Toughest Kid On The Block? Nothing new there...but it's still a little scary.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Springheel Jack because: meh

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The stage is being set for a major conflict in the region, one that would provide a massive stimulus to the US/EU economies

how is that ? war costs money, doesnt it ?
edit on 24-11-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Good post mate, makes you wonder wtf is going on hey

Especially where Russia is concerned.

The Russians have a Naval Supply base there as well.

A Russian military base is located in the Syrian port of Tartus, which serves as the 720th base of material and technical support to the Russian Army.

Link

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Large wars provide stimulus to multiple sectors of the economy. The money the governments spend doesn't vanish, it goes into the economy and if done right more will come back in the form of tax revenue. Many people forget that it was World War 2 that brought the world out of the Great Depression.

It could even be argued had it not been for the spending from the global war on terror, the fallout from the housing sector bubble collapse in 2008 could have been much worse. The military industrial sector of our economy has provided numerous jobs since 2008, while other parts of the economy have struggled.

If it is ensured that we get optimum revenue from the sector, it would provide a major source of revenue for the US and allied nation's treasuries without the need to raise taxes.
edit on 24/11/11 by MikeboydUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Have they entered Syrian territorial waters, if so I believe thats an act of war.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

Have they entered Syrian territorial waters, if so I believe thats an act of war.

I am sure if they had, Syria and probably the Russians would be making all kinds of noise about it.

Keep in mind, a carrier strike group doesn't need to be that close to a coast to engage.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Whoa! STIMULUS? So So Wrong! You mean spending on military adventures again? How do you think these get paid for???????????? How do you think Iraq and Afghanistan were paid for and are being paid for? BORROWING MONEY!!!!!!!!!! How do you think we got into this mess? Besides the Wall Street and Banking looting going on, it was getting into TWO wars at once, cutting taxes at the same time, and borrowing to pay for everything! We don't have the money! What we have is "Credit". What we have is IOUs. What we have is selling off future notes in Treasury bills. ITS ARTIFICIAL STIMULUS!!!!!!!! It's gigantic new bills that will have to be paid or defaulted on! If we need to STIMULATE our economy, we can do something better with it than killing people and increasing the power of the military industrial complex, which is already basically in control along with the bankers! War DID force us into great production in WW2, but we HAD to. Starting wars to stimulate economies is insane. How about stop letting Defense Contractors tell us something will cost X dollars and then multiply that with cost overruns almost every single time, while often not producing quality products? F35 put off for years and starting to cost so much we may cancel many of them. F22 fleet grounded on and off recently. The new destroyers too costly to build. the Seawolf too expensive. Faulty body armor. Cancelled projects that had already cost billions and billions....... HOW DO WE PAY FOR IT ALL OTHER THAN BORROWING IF WE ARE SPENDING MORE THAN WE TAKE IN??????? Owing the Chinese? Tell me.... who is it that actually has enough money to lend to whole countries? Who is in debt? Greece, Spain, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, Hungary, the US.... the list is long. So where does the money come from?????????? WHO IS LENDING ALL THE MONEY AND WHERE DID THEY GET IT?
edit on 24-11-2011 by jaxnmarko because: grammar

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

You may want to do a bit of research on Economic Mobilization and War Economy.

We would be one of the Richest nations once again if a Major war breaks out.

Most civilians dont know this , but we have nearly 60 facilities for war production ready to be activated for manufacturing war materials.

America isn't dumb. We have already prepared for war before war happens. Not because we want it to happen , but because it would be negligent not to prepare for a total war scenario.

I was also told they could house nearly 70 million US citizens in fortified Nuclear/Bomb/Missile shelters , and have a seperated network to house 4 million US military personnel.

If you take Military Operational Studies / Diplomacy , you will learn LOTS of interesting information that you actually cant get off the internet. A lot of it is Military manuals / Informational book for military personnel at the War College.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by weirdguy

A Russian military base is located in the Syrian port of Tartus, which serves as the 720th base of material and technical support to the Russian Army.

I wonder what anti ship/air defenses that base has..

The US should watch where they park their carriers maybe.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

If you look at the US federal budget, you'll see the biggest vaccum in our budget is entitlements.

Unlike defense spending, social security, welfare, etc. does not help prop up sectors of our economy. About half of the country doen't pay taxes and that same half draws some form of aid from the government.

That is a huge blackhole from which nothing returns. Even worse, its steadily growing and eventually will consume the entire US budget.

That is what happened in Greece and is happening in Italy and Spain.

Now as to where we borrow most of our money? We borrow most of it from the Federal Reserve, US insurance companies, US investment companies, etc. We have around $15 trillion in debt and more than 2/3 of it is to US entities. The Federal Reserve, the largest US debt holder, has around 6 times the debt China holds and about $2 trillion more than all foreign debt combined. It should also be noted that the foreign debt the US holds from other nations is at least 4 times higher than what we owe the entire world. The planet owes us far more than we owe it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Just to put the war mongering in perspective.

1. I would expect the US to park a carrier off the costs of a potential conflict zone. If Syria goes into full meltdown then someone has to rescue the trapped Westerners. This seems like good planning to me.
2. The Russian naval presence in the Mediterranean is not that significant. In the great scheme of things the total Russian Black Sea Fleet numbers only five significant (frigate-size-plus) warships. The Mediterranean has never really been a place where a ship from a non NATO nation could feel really safe.
3. Is there any evidence that the US or NATO are planning to flatten Syria?

Regards

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trustme333

I think I read the other day that there was an anti sub destroyer at the base at the moment.

The base itself is an old Syrian one that is currently being upgraded for the Russians by the Russians.

Stage one is to be completed next year

It is being reported as having both Syrian and Russian military gaurds.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Why wouldn't the same rules apply to entitlements as to war as far as the dollar making its trip?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

No, that would not be an act of war, but don't take my word for it - www.un.org...

Regards

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333

Historically, we have often used loss of naval vessels as a casus belli.

If the Syrians or Russians, for whatever reason, acted first and sunk a US carrier, it would ensure that we would go all out and not hold back, especially in regards to Russia. It would be plastered all over US media and they would be painted as monsters that need to be slayed in order to keep the world safe.

In other words, sinking a US carrier would be the worst thing they could possibly do. The US military without a leash or gloves, something not seen since World War 2, would be by far the most lethal fighting force on earth.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

The stage is being set for a major conflict in the region, one that would provide a massive stimulus to the US/EU economies

how is that ? war costs money, doesnt it ?
edit on 24-11-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

War is also the best thing to restart an economy because it bring manufacturing home. Every time a bullet is fired, a missile launched or a tank destroyed, they need 100 more to replace it...this is how you stimulate an economy! This has already happened twice in the past 100 years!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Just to put the war mongering in perspective.

1. I would expect the US to park a carrier off the costs of a potential conflict zone. If Syria goes into full meltdown then someone has to rescue the trapped Westerners. This seems like good planning to me.

Yeah your right because they plan to use their aircraft on the carrier to land at the runways and pick up 1 passenger at a time in their jets...

If they were planning on using US assets to "rescue" people, they wouldn't send an aircraft carrier...they'd send crew boats.

ETA: This aircraft carrier is being sent their to enforce a NO FLY ZONE. How can people be so blind to this fact?
edit on 24/11/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333

Although a very short time from now....all Nimitz class as well as the new Ford class carriers.....the ford has yet to be launched...well all be equipt with the newest and most HIGHLY ADVANCED Weapons system ever developed....that we yet know about....THE FREE ELECTRON LASER.

A seperate NUCLEAR REACTOR specificly designed for powering this laser system....will be installed in each carrier as well as possible deployment of this system into othe U.S. Navy Ships. The combination of this power source as well as the capabilities of this BREAKTHROUGH Laser system....will not only render the U.S. Navy carrier groups untouchable....but bring into the World Wide Military Balance...which is already tipped way to the U.S. side....a Weapon of such magnitude that countries are already lining up to deciede what to do about it....almost nothing in reality.

The FREE ELECTRON LASER works similar to a PARTICLE BEAM but without the nasty effects such as killing the people opperating it via irradiation. But this Laser is not efected by atmospheric conditions and a recent article in Discover Mag....states a fully powered version of this Laser has the ability to cut a hole through 1000ft of STEEL in seconds.....that is not a mistype!

If I were a country with a U.S. carrier battle group off my coast....I would be VERY worried. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join