It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer pepper-sprays seated, non-violent students at UC Davis

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
nvm
posted already.
edit on 21-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Our forefathers have to be rolling in their graves. Standard procedure MY A$$!

And sociopaths still make a moot argument and defend tyranny, just as disgusting see shrink asap

edit on 21-11-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Not responding to a police order is a felony. It's how the law system works, the officers shouted move very loudly. They didn't, they were most likely warned of the consequences, that don't care, they probably wanted to get sprayed.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ
reply to post by mileysubet

So to you its ok to be pepper sprayed for sitting in a public place.

What a load of BS
edit on 19-11-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

Public place? Why didn't they sit on the grass out of the way?

Hey guess what i will go and lie in the middle of the road and stop everyone getting to work.

Try and stop me its my right!LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The law about blocking rights of way in the UK.

"It is illegal to obstruct a public right of way. Landowners may apply to temporarily or permanently alter a PRoW, or even remove a PRoW, but they are not allowed to simply block or interfere with a route. Illegally obstructing a route is a criminal offence."

www.essex.gov.uk...

If this happened in the UK it would class as a crime.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by godofme
Not responding to a police order is a felony. It's how the law system works, the officers shouted move very loudly. They didn't, they were most likely warned of the consequences, that don't care, they probably wanted to get sprayed.

I am willing to bet the farm that you would love Nazi Germany.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by godofme

If this happened in the UK it would class as a crime.

BUT IT DIDN'T IT HAPPENED IN THE USA

This is irrelevant, you are grasping at straws.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by godofme

LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This alone, even without the rest of your comments, is disturbing.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You know what, this whole thread is B.S.! Im seeing people talking about "the law is the law." Well you know what, what are people suppossed to do when their entire livelyhoods are being looted by a system that is setup to rob the ones that are the least capable of doing anything about this situation!!!!! The people on here, and you know how you are, can post what you like, its your right. On the flip side of the coin, its the right of the people to stand up for what they believe in given the fact that the ENTIRE PLANET is in agreement! People say, "well if they didnt want to get pepper sprayed, they should have moved. Well, how many times have the politians and CEO's that run the show had the oppurtunity to do the right thing? I can personally tell you, DECADES! At least these people are standing up for the bigger picture, although they need to quit complaining about the retaliation, it comes with the turf. So people need to wake up, because one cant say "Hey the law is the law and thats why A or B happened." Why is it that the little guy/gal has to follow some rule that really doesnt have an effect on anything, but the big guy gets over on the law time and time again that literally can put the whole world into economic chaos, oh wait its already happening! This is so backwards its sickening!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by godofme

They can bend the rules and steal the wealth of entire nations, but harmless college kids cant sit in a non-violent position with out either being pepper sprayed or getting the s**t kicked out of them. Yeah the law is the law, but you need to realize who makes the the law, and most importantly, why they make the laws they do! This is injustice to the 10th degree and regardless of whoevers opinion we ALL know that this is the case.

And oh yeah, GE makes 14 Billion in profits, and thats with a "B" But G-d forbid we make a living to support our families, because you know what that means, we owe uncle sam 25 to 40 percent!!!!!

edit on 21-11-2011 by 1978BELIEVER because: Additional Information

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Yeah.. when someone finally does stand up to the abuse the MSM will parade those images around yelling about how violent the protesters are, yadda yadda.

And where do you think this is going, without the violence?

These people peppersprayed in the eyes, will have eye damage for life. Do you see the cops care one bit? They walk and pick one up, and the next ... like bags of sand. People stand by, watching ... like vaulchers hoping to see some action ... without having to participate in the action, themselves.

Society, as such, is made out of individuals ... the cop, serves the people. And thus, the individual and not the establishment. Because society, is made out of individuals ... it is the individual that is the core of society. However in this case, these cops are militarized ... they are working for, payed for and their heart is "protecting the establishment from the people".

Do you really think you can do anything, worth while ... without a revolution? if so, then I say "shame on you". The point of all of this is, and always will be ... if you aren't ready to take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. These movements have no idea where they are, and aren't ready to take the next logical step ... they are not organized, and have no leadership ... no attorney's that will "demand" release of the accused ... they have no legal case, no legal voice ... etc. And if, or when, that legal voice fails ... they have no means to take their claims to the next logical step, which is organized violence ... or, their own police and military, or revolutionary force, which is what it is called.

The people's right, to use violence ... in these case, is actually a human right ... funny as it may sound, but it is.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

I completely agree, unfortunately.

Peaceful tactics may have worked for Ghandi when they were relatively new, but since then, the governments have had time to develop effective methods to counter, or simply ignore them. They are no longer relevant or effective due to the evident epic failures around the world.

Its sad its coming to that point where the only method left is violence. And you cannot possibly say that its not been provoked either, the first punches have already been thrown by the government, and the protestors have excercised remarkable restraint. But its only a matter of time before enough is enough and they fight back.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1978BELIEVER
reply to post by godofme

They can bend the rules and steal the wealth of entire nations, but harmless college kids cant sit in a non-violent position with out either being pepper sprayed or getting the s**t kicked out of them. Yeah the law is the law, but you need to realize who makes the the law, and most importantly, why they make the laws they do! This is injustice to the 10th degree and regardless of whoevers opinion we ALL know that this is the case.

And oh yeah, GE makes 14 Billion in profits, and thats with a "B" But G-d forbid we make a living to support our families, because you know what that means, we owe uncle sam 25 to 40 percent!!!!!

edit on 21-11-2011 by 1978BELIEVER because: Additional Information

And guess how much taxes GE paid on that $14 Billion?

You guessed it - ZERO. Zip, nada, zilch.....

They paid NOTHING in taxes on $14 Billion in profit.

Are you f*cking kidding me?

This is just one example of the things that "the 99%" are pissed off about....

edit on 11/21/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/21/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
On monday the news will say officer John Pike will be suspended.

so what he did was wrong....and the police are not saying it was because they were blocking the sidewalk but rather the police officers said they were surrounded and needed to get out which video and photographic evidence has proven not true.

The police are making themselves the enemy, it is sad some of you are defending this.

Yup.....2 officers on leave announced Monday morning....

The officers were wrong, they are now being punished.....macman you need to stop making a fool of yourself and wake up

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I just saw this footage on Canada AM, (a morning show in Canada)...... I'm not almost 100% convinced this was staged. Dis/misinformation perhaps?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by macman

But calling for the resignation of the chancellor of the school ,I do believe is not standard procedure.

Overly emotional response from that area?
Not surprised.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory
reply to post by macman

You're using the terms "turn on the police" and "clashing with LEO." I'm sorry but I really didn't see any of those things happening. It was a peaceful sit in. They failed to disperse because they were exercising their freedom to protest peacefully. Was LE really called in to just clear the sidewalk then leave? So when peaceful protesters don't do what LE orders that's considered clashing with police. I would think clashing would be more physical. Here's one definition I found.

Clashing: Meet and come into violent conflict: "protestors clashed with police".

I imagine the students felt somewhat safe in protesting on the very school grounds they support via tuition. In fact one of their issues was an increase in tuition. It's a bit disturbing to know you're starting out life with enormous debt and few opportunities. They're upset and rightly so.

If you're considering the responses in this thread as showing "clashing" or "turning on police" well that's public feedback.You can't dictate the opinions/feelings of others. Public opinion/violent protest wasn't what caused LE to act the way they did.

Not obeying a lawful order to disperse is clashing. No matter how it is twisted.
Clashing can be non violent, or violent.

When you go against the cop on the street, you are doomed to lose.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

The point was the act, not the fact that the police SGT made the decision to withdraw and possibly regroup.

They still arrested those sitting and the main focus, the people sitting and blocking were dealt with and removed.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thaxter
reply to post by macman

"The use of pepper spray dispersed the people that it was intended for. The use was successful."

LOL. If you call hundreds of thousands of dollars that UC Davis will need to pay for legal expenses to defend this, as well as John Pike being targeted on the net, i.e., all of his personal information is given out there, including his $100K plus salary (40 plus percent paid by fees by students he attacked), and all the phone lines of the university police department as well as university administration units being clogged by outraged people calling from all over the nation -- if you call this a success, it's simply laughable. It's an utter FAIL.

The police failed miserably. They were all dressed in riot gear, wielding rifles and batons and pepper spray, strutting about and attacking people, and they were *forced out* by peaceful chanting protesters who used no force at all. Very successful operation, indeed -- by the protesters!

edit on 20-11-2011 by Thaxter because: Shortened

Any Department in the US has Lawyers on retainer for such things.
The fact that most Departments have lost their spine and will settle out of court is the cost at hand.
Everything else you state is mob rule by people who cry when the rules are used against them. Stupid
The officer's salary means nothing, and posting his person info, in some states is a criminal offense. Stupid
Stupid + Stupid = Stupid.
Just another reason to have nothing to do with Kommiefornia.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Thaxter

Just read it.
You did not see the part in the tail end that states 2 things.
The "Repeated Use" of pepper spray is a main issue.
And the the "With holding of water" is the other issue.
That is why the ruling went the way it did.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join