It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Foreclosure Firm Threw Homeless-Themed Halloween Bash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

If you're one of the nation's top "foreclosure mill" law firms—representing Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo in their attempts to foreclose on homes and evict homeowners—what better way to celebrate Halloween than by throwing a party where everyone comes as a dirty, homeless victim of your practice? The New York Times' Joe Nocera was sent a series of photos from a Halloween party thrown last year by the firm of Steven J. Baum—the "merciless" foreclosure mill, subject of a Justice Department investigation, and defendant in at least two class-action lawsuits over its shady foreclosure practices. In one photo, two women with fake dirt on their faces hold a sign that says "3rd party squatter. I lost my home and was never served!!"; in another, a woman holding a beer bottle in a paper bag pushes a shopping cart with a sign saying "will work for food." They're pretty horrible! Like, "would offend the richest, whitest frat at the most conservative university in the south" horrible.

I don't know if this should be taken as some form of dark humor similar to what first responders seem to develop, or if these people re just uncaring scumbags but either way not a good idea. Making fun of people who just lost their home in desperate times is pretty low. Lives are ruined when a home is lost. I would expect a bit more compassion. The company sounds pretty bad if you read the above text, and we all know that lenders were not exactly on the up and up.

Link

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I just saw this on Google +. Seems the thread on there has the address and phone number of the firm. This is one of those things that doesn't seem like it could really be real. I guess it's hard for people with morals and decency to believe people would act this way. I don't wish bad upon anyone but I wouldn't be too upset if a few of these people hit a large "rough patch" in their lives.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
ive allways considered myseld a nice person, and never wished misfortune on anyone. but i have limits.
i hope one day these people experience having to live each day as it comes. for their own sake.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

It almost does seem fake but sadly I doubt that it is. These folks need to take a look in the mirror and realize they could be met with the same fate.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This isn't humour this is a total Piss take. Sick, Sick, Sick.

People have lost their homes and this company has been complicit in many of the foreclosures. Absolutely NO shame at all!!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Already posted
edit on 29/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I could see it being thrown around the office as a joke or something but actually having the company endorse it is what really surprises me.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If this is true (and I suspect it is) it is representative of the way many younger (or more well-to-do) Americans are today. When you've grown up in a good environment and everything has fallen into place for you throughout your life you tend to view things differently. We’ve all witnessed or experienced this type of thing at some point in our lives. There has actually been research about this behavior.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The rich are different — and not in a good way, studies suggest

Psychologist and social scientist Dacher Keltner says the rich really are different, and not in a good way: Their life experience makes them less empathetic, less altruistic, and generally more selfish.

In fact, he says, the philosophical battle over economics, taxes, debt ceilings and defaults that are now roiling the stock market is partly rooted in an upper class "ideology of self-interest."

“We have now done 12 separate studies measuring empathy in every way imaginable, social behavior in every way, and some work on compassion and it’s the same story,” he said. “Lower class people just show more empathy, more prosocial behavior, more compassion, no matter how you look at it.”

In an academic version of a Depression-era Frank Capra movie, Keltner and co-authors of an article called

“Social Class as Culture: The Convergence of Resources and Rank in the Social Realm,” published this week in the journal Current Directions in Psychological Science, argue that “upper-class rank perceptions trigger a focus away from the context toward the self….”

In other words, rich people are more likely to think about themselves. “They think that economic success and political outcomes, and personal outcomes, have to do with individual behavior, a good work ethic,” said Keltner, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley.

Because the rich gloss over the ways family connections, money and education helped, they come to denigrate the role of government and vigorously oppose taxes to fund it.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
ive allways considered myseld a nice person, and never wished misfortune on anyone. but i have limits.
i hope one day these people experience having to live each day as it comes. for their own sake.

you don't have to wish it upon them. to be that mentally ill to not see anything wrong with mocking people who lost their home thru your clients fraud and mocking homeless people by pretending to be filthy, is a worse misfortune than losing your house or living on the street.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I know people living in poverty with more class than these people.

One day, I was at work when I mentioned that money was really tight that week and after paying bills, I didn't have enough money to go to the grocery store, so my family and I were getting by with the foods in our deep freeze. One of my co-workers, a young single mother of two offered me her food stamp card and pin number to buy groceries. Of course I refused, as we are better off than some by having a partly stocked freezer, but her complete, unconditional generosity made me tear up. Some people may look down on her, but she is more beautiful inside and out than any of the women in the pictures above. And she doesn't need money for that!!

Someday, I hope all those who mock the less fortunate get the life they truly deserve!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

I'm sure there are many living in poverty with more class. Class is not something you can buy, I doubt these idiots feel the same way though.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

is a worse misfortune than losing your house or living on the street.

It really is unfortunate to see.

top topics

join