It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizzly Bear Attack? Shut him down with a telescopic baton

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
reply to post by Rocketman7

If you think a tiny baton can take out a bear then you will definitely win the Darwin Award

Um don't look now, but we all did.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't think many want to be within breath length before being able to defend oneself against a Grizz

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

I'm glad I avoided this thread. I live in Adelaide, South Australia. We have Drop Bears. They make Grizzlies look like childs play things. To avoid being eaten by a drop bear just smear vegemite all over you. Works every time.

Now, seriously.

We don't have Bears, but us Aussies like to think we are pretty good in the wild and I would imagine a....baton....versus a Bear.....it just ain't going to do anything. I know they can run faster. I know they are super strong and I know they can climb.

Solution. Gun. Crossbow. Bow. IF you have to run...I'd imagine maybe running in a straight line and then maybe veering off at 90 degrees every 10 seconds (I know Bears are agile but I'm not sure they can turn as quick as Humans)

Otherwise....ultimately....you are a dumbass for not taking a projectile weapon with you when going into Bear territory.

That's all I got, and thinking about it....even veering ain't probably going to do much.

I hear Red Bull gives you wings. Maybe try that.

I have a better idea. Telescopic BACON. That might work.

edit on 28-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

I got chased by a black bear once when I was in the Rockies near Bamff. I got between a mother and its cub.

I saw the cub and I was like, wow, how cute is that? Then it dawned on me, and so I turned and guess whose turning towards me looking protective? So its starts to run after me, and I ran like the wind down hill.

Bears can not run down hill. They will tumble because of their short legs.

But about Australia, I guess Koala's aren't actually bears they are marsupials (marsupial bears), and if you ever, and I mean ever dared to wear a skin of a Koala, they would put you in leg irons I'm sure.

Them and baby Panda bears.

I don't know why we ended up with the man eating variety.
edit on 28-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorthStreet1
I don't think many want to be within breath length before being able to defend oneself against a Grizz

This whole idea of bear spray frightens me.

Take a can of hair spray and then imagine there is a 800 pound grizzly standing in front of you. Look up, he is way up there. Or charging at you, with his mouth open.

You are going to just calmly stand there and hold your spray can and forget to pull the pin, or lift the tab, or twist the top, or won't be able to get it out of the holster or the wind is going to be so strong that day, it will blow sideways.

You know I thought that if there were some trees close by, even if you couldn't climb them, maybe he would be too fat to get through them. And if worst comes to worst, you keep the tree between you and it, and just keep reaching out and whacking it with the baton on the nose. Get it really pissed off, maybe it will tire itself out.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcade425
I like the idea of the shock baton but, I think if I go into bear country I shall bring my 12 gauge mossberg and my 10mm Glock
. If you want to scare the bear off with loud noise, just fire a few 00 buck shots off.

What they need is the ninjaCop stun alarm flashlight 12 gauge baton loaded for bear.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You know when I was a kid living outside of Toronto, my dad had a drinking buddy who trained bears.

He had a big bear cage at his farm. Him and my dad were drinking buddies and they had kids so we used to go to the lake as a group and go swimming and that, then one day I heard he got killed in that cage by a bear. I am not sure what kind of bears they were. Maybe I can find the story.

Oh it killed his girlfriend. I thought it killed him.

Bear trained to wrestle humans (oh yeah that was what it was lol I remember now he was a wrestler, old school, fake wrestling was big back then in small town Ontario) enters house and kills woman.

edit on 28-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: edited link

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292

Can you have Bows or Crossbows in Canada? You wouldn't even have time to bring the baton to bear , no pun intended. I prefer 40 S&W as a carry gun, it's loaded with 165 grain Golden Sabers, which is apparently powerful enough to kill a hog, I'm pretty sure it would just really piss off the Bear there would probably be more of a chance of the noise scaring him than the bullets. I'd forget about the Baton and stick with an air horn and the mace.

You can own cross bows, but I am not sure you can carry them, since there have been a number of cross bow slayings in recent years.

When I was living outside of Ottawa a number of years ago, I remember reading that a guy (maybe even a cop) killed his girlfriend on main street with a crossbow, after she got off a city bus.

Oh the horror.

You can own a crossbow without a license, but you can only hunt with one in New Brunswick and Yukon Territories.

I have no idea what they are for then if you can't hunt with them.
An Ottawa man is accused of killing his father with a crossbow in a Toronto library. Here are some past crossbow incidents in Canada:

•In July, a Mission, B.C., father was charged with attacking his son who was shot in the forearm with a crossbow.

•In November 2007, a 26-year-old man was charged with murder and attempted murder after his mother was killed and father was injured by a crossbow in St-Cesaire, Que.

•In October 2002, a dairy farmer was shot in the back and injured with a crossbow in St.-Bonaventure.

•In August 1998, a man asleep in his Hamilton home was shot in the head and injured by a man who fired a crossbow.

•In 1998, Edward Stuart Walker shot a pregnant Stephanie Celestine Thomas with a crossbow, then stabbed her 46 times in Central Saanich on Vancouver Island.

•In September 1994, Yvon Gosselin was driven to a gravel pit near Terrace, B.C., where he was killed with two bolts from a crossbow.

•In May 1995, a man armed with a crossbow entered the Winnipeg Convention Centre shortly before then prime minister Jean Chretien arrived to deliver a speech. The suspect was arrested.

•In January 1993, B.C. Institute of Technology student Silvia Leung, 22, bled to death in the campus parking lot in Burnaby after being hit in the shoulder by a crossbow.

•In November 1991, Ottawa lawyer Patricia Allen was killed with a crossbow by her estranged husband Colin McGregor.

Time to get one of these maybe

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In British Columbia it is ok to shoot black bears with a cross bow. It just has to be a damn good one with lots of force.

See table entry i

Trapping in BC

Don't even need a license for this baby here..

But will it bring down a grizzly?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by GringoViejo

If you've been, then you know the borders are a lot tighter they ever were before. Thank you Janet Napolitano. You'll also know that the Ministry are everywhere all the time, even in the backwoods of the far north.

I never have any problems at the border. I travel a lot though, so security doesn't really bother me anymore, especially if its not overseas. Its just another place to wait around for awhile.
edit on 28-10-2011 by GringoViejo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420

I agree,whilst i do not doubt for a second the damage batons can cause(everyone has lately if theyve watch the OWS coverage lol!) i wouldnt want to have to get that close to the bear in the first place,but i would take the batton rather than nothing,imagine if you took it down with a baton!!!!!C'mon that must merit a handshake from chuck norris himself

Here is a baton vs helmet video.

Look what happens to the baton...

edit on 28-10-2011 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You would have to be a suicidal idiot to even think about hitting a grizzly bear with that piece of crap.

You would piss him off, and you would be lunch about a split second later when his paw would rip through your body and you would be flying through the air from the rage that you would have sent that bear into. You would not survive hitting a grizzly bear with a stick like that.

I'd have to side with the bear in this case. If you are so stupid to go out into his territory with a stick like that, thinking that you had the right to be in his territory, then you might as well be prepared to be dinner. The bad thing is, that you would cause the bear to be destroyed. Do the bear a favor and stay out of grizzly bear country.
edit on 28-10-2011 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Ok Jimmy Jack's got it all goin on here.

Do this first, then ht it with the baton after.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420

I agree,whilst i do not doubt for a second the damage batons can cause(everyone has lately if theyve watch the OWS coverage lol!) i wouldnt want to have to get that close to the bear in the first place,but i would take the batton rather than nothing,imagine if you took it down with a baton!!!!!C'mon that must merit a handshake from chuck norris himself

Here is a baton vs helmet video.

Look what happens to the baton...

edit on 28-10-2011 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

But that baton is made in Thailand.

The ASP won't bend.

There is a video in youtube about the ASP and it is hardened, tempered and will not bend. It costs a 100 bucks though. As opposed to 20 bucks for cheaper ones you can get.

There is also a light weight aluminum ASP that is 80% as strong as the hardened steel one.

I think 26 inch, hardened steel, and just go nuts. Scream like a banshee, and whackwahckwhackwhackwhack and don't stop. If you stop for even a second, you will be done. And don't forget, they can smell fear.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

See? humans are smarter than your average bear. Hit im where it hurts. If you only have one shot, make it a good one. I still think I will practice with the bolos. Slow him down a bit.

I see your point. But believe it or not I to have thought of what I would do, or what it would take of fighting off a bear or even killing it, if the situation came up for whatever crazy ass reason and I only had my bare hands or a knife/close range weapon.

The only real solution I see if that were to happen and you are empty handed is to run up a tree or something, but if you had no choice and it's you or him. Then I think a frontal assault would be suicide, they weigh to much and are way to strong, but if you can somehow get behind him and get on his back you can grab on to his fur and try to punch his head in from behind, like your life depended on it, because it does.
And before he gets smart, or tosses you off. At best you would make him back off and be wary and go looking for easier pray. # you could even try choking the bear out...but I do not think that would work, one can always try though.

Though I do not think it would work either way barehanded....If you had a knife! it could work and you can kill him if you got behind him, but if he comes on you from the front you are a dead man, even if you somehow killed him he would of mangled you so badly, that you would not live long after that.

If you had another weapon such as a sword or better yet a spear, then its a whole different ball game, and the best bet is to do like the native did it...That is! wait till he charges you and stands on his hind legs then let him fall on your spear or sword with all his weight, though you would be trapped under him as he dies, and still be trapped under after he dies. Either way do not expect to come out unscathed.

Plus if that does not work a bear is still a wild animal, and he would think first of survival if he was not backed in to a corner and in fight or die mode, and as soon as he feels pain and blood from you spear or sword or knife. His first instinct would be of "is this worth it, or should I move on" all wild animals are not looking for a fight to the death, they are just looking for pray or an easy meal. So as soon as it becomes not worth it they will move on.

Exempt the wolverine that is, you know I cant find it now but once I seen a vid of a really huge bear walking up on a wolverine....And the bear actually got attacked by the wolverine, it was freaking hilarious like a squirrel attacking a dog....But anyways eventually the bear turned around and ran the hell out of there.....One of the reasons is because of what I said above. The bear is not thinking of fighting to death and taking life threatening injuries even if it wins, and its just looking for a meal....A wolverine tough! once it got threatened and attacked, it literally would not stop fighting till it's dead no matter the outcome. It only fights to the death, once it attacks something or something is attacking it.

Guess that is why the other predators such as bears and wolves and big cats go around them, when they see one walking by on it's way to whatever they are going.

With a gun however a bear should be a no contest. Unless your really suck at shooting, or it somehow got close in your face type of thing. Then the gun would be pretty useless, unless he was bleeding to death already, and even then if they were that close they can kill you before they die. But like I said there first instinct is to fight or flee, so in this case if it got shot and could still move, it would most likely try to flee.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

See? humans are smarter than your average bear. Hit im where it hurts. If you only have one shot, make it a good one. I still think I will practice with the bolos. Slow him down a bit.

I see your point. But believe it or not I to have thought of what I would do, or what it would take of fighting off a bear or even killing it, if the situation came up for whatever crazy ass reason and I only had my bare hands or a knife/close range weapon.

The only real solution I see if that were to happen and you are empty handed is to run up a tree or something, but if you had no choice and it's you or him. Then I think a frontal assault would be suicide, they weigh to much and are way to strong, but if you can somehow get behind him and get on his back you can grab on to his fur and try to punch his head in from behind, like your life depended on it, because it does.
And before he gets smart, or tosses you off. At best you would make him back off and be wary and go looking for easier pray. # you could even try choking the bear out...but I do not think that would work, one can always try though.

With a gun however a bear should be a no contest. Unless your really suck at shooting, or it somehow got close in your face type of thing. Then the gun would be pretty useless, unless he was bleeding to death already, and even then if they were that close they can kill you before they die. But like I said there first instinct is to fight or flee, so in this case if it got shot and could still move, it would most likely try to flee.

Well Davy Crocket killed a bear with his bare hands when he was 3.

But he was big for his age.

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free,
Raised in the woods so he knew every tree,
Kilt him a b'ar when he was only 3.
Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier!
From "The Ballad of Davy Crockett"

Man to bear combat is maybe not a good idea. Their skull on top is something like 4 inches thick.

You know you could dive between its legs, and try to scoot out from behind, but unless you run downhill, it will catch you.

They can climb trees.
And not slowly either.

I am thinking make your self look big. Open your coat, and try to stand tall, and shout and pee yourself, and pray and lol

Its like man vs freight train what are you gonna do? Unless you are armed with something and I would suggest that the baton would work, in the hands of an experienced professional.

They can whack anything that comes into their zone and being hit by a metal rod even if you are a bear is gonna hurt like hell.

Hit on the hand then whacked on the snout? Man that smarts. You hit him hard on the snout, and his eyes are gonna water, he is gonna turn tail and run. In extreme pain. And maybe with a broken snout, it will hurt to even open his mouth.
Hit him hard enough, you will break that bone and then he cannot bite you.

His face is broken. He could claw you, but you have whacked the back of his paw and maybe broke his hand. Because if you don't you are going to die so you have clenched your teeth and mean business. Just like a wolverine.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You see in here it says don't run down hill, thats a myth. Well not a gentle slope, of course thats a myth.

If you are in mountainous country, then you can run and jump downhill, the bear cannot. You can fly down a mountain much faster than a bear but you still have to keep your knees well bent, or else you might mess yourself up and be athletic.

Climbing a tree well thats easier said than done and while you are trying to climb a tree the bear is running.

Now if it hasn't started running at you maybe thats ok, but not if you are waiting for someone else to get up the tree and if you spend a lot of time in the bush, you know that trees you can climb are not easy to find.

You cannot climb up a fir tree. So what sort of tree are they talking about? A maple tree? An apple tree?

Back slowly away they say well yeah, what else you gonna do? The carry a bell so it knows you are there works if it is not hungry.

They say use the pepper spray, then discard the can, because the pepper will attract more bears.

Wonderful.

Carry a jar of honey and throw the honey at the bear. That will work. Then shoot it with an exploding tipped arrow if you are Canadian, you don't need a license for that except a hunting license, and well, it was self defense, and if you are an American, select your weapon from your gun cart, and let him have it.

Tear gas grenades would probably work and fireworks, like those rockets but you might set the bush on fire with one of them.

A bunch of firecrackers. Light the whole pack and throw it. Again fire hazard.

Broken beer bottles have been tried I am sure, without success.

So in the what to do listed in this post it says fight back with anything you have. Play dead only as a last resort because it might REDUCE the injuries.

Trust me, if you are really aggressive and whack the thing hard on the face, it will know that it had better get out of there. Women have protected their children with a stick and fought off a black bear. They just decide its not worth it.

But a grizzly, yeah you better be vicious and forget about the emails from PETA. You better try to whack its face off and break its nose. Like a dog, thats a very vulnerable spot and very painful. Especially if you can come down on it as opposed to a side attack. Come down on it with all your might with the baton, you will hear bones crack.

It has claws and teeth but you have a 6 foot reach and a lot of pain in your hands and its a fast weapon.

If you are old and fat and out of breath well, but if you are fit and athletic and have had martial arts training at all, yeah, man is the king of the beasts.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If you put some force into it, it would not be difficult to break off a couple inches of that upper jaw with a baton. There is no padding on the top of that bone.

When two bears fight they can't bite each others upper jaw because it will drive a fang into their own lower jaw.

You are not hindered by that and so that is where you want to hit him.

Coming down on it with full force. Break that he cannot bite you. There is nothing more painful for an animal like that other than perhaps the gonads, but they are well protected.

If pepper spray hurts, imagine how much that hurts. He won't come back for more.

He will know his life is at risk. Without his nose he cannot smell, without his jaw he cannot eat.

He cannot fight if he cannot move his jaw. If he wants to stand up and do the bear open jaw thang, guess what? Extreme pain.

Hit him on the ass he will not feel it. You need to hit him where the bone is close to the surface like the forearms or the face. Like a side shot to the elbow. Crack, that arm is not going to bother you any more.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg
I do not think the bear would feel that baton, even if it was swung by Albert Pujols...I have to agree with the other people here...to survive in bear country you need to be armed with a gun..

Not necessarily. It feels pain like anything else.

The bear attacked as they were preparing dinner, grabbing Perry and dragging her into the bush. Jordan got the bear in a headlock and punched it, causing it to drop his wife.

from www.thestar.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Man survives polar bear attack by punching the bear in the nose.

A 67-year-old man says he survived a polar bear attack in Nunavut by punching the bear in the face, a tactic he learned from an Inuit elder.

Death destruction and pain. Don't mess with man.

link

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I thought the general rule was to crap yourself and play dead. And I am not trying to be funny, I know I have read or heard that somewhere.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join