It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Grizzly Bear Attack? Shut him down with a telescopic baton

page: 1
1
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Although it is against the law to carry almost anything in Canada, you can own one.

If TSHTF, then you can pull this out for personal protection including when you are hiding in the bush in Grizzly bear country.



Another good idea is to carry some bear spray repellent, as a first line of defense.

And you can get some for dogs for 8 bucks a can, bears for 28 bucks a can and up to 69 bucks a can and wear it on your belt.

You should also have one of these rechargeable air horns

at 115 db thats as loud as you need to scare away most things.

In Canada you cannot carry stun guns or things of that nature. Any other ideas for personal protection that might be legal in Canada?



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Personally myself id rather throw the baton like a stick nd hope it would run to fetch it buying me precious seconds than go mano-e-bearo with that thing man!



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
And people wonder why I support the right to keep and arm bears.


Trying to take on a bear with a baton is asking to be torn to shreds.

Guns. That's about the only chance you have.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If a bear was charging you, you'd be lucky to have more than 2 seconds to get out that baton to wave it in its big wide toothy maw before it's going to bowl you over like a pile of styrofoam.

Go with the bear spray or a really loud whistle before it even sees you.

The best protection for EVER getting into a confrontation with any kind of bear is noise.
edit on 27/10/11 by masqua because: sp



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420
Personally myself id rather throw the baton like a stick nd hope it would run to fetch it buying me precious seconds than go mano-e-bearo with that thing man!



Yeah I know. Its a horrible thought. I live on an island Vancouver Island, and I thought there was no grizzly bears. But then I heard they can swim 30 miles to an island from the mainland and have been spotted carrying antelope around in their jaws.

The thing is, if you don't have anything you are screwed. If there is a wind, you can't use your spray, if your blast horn is ineffective, the next thing is to play dead. Which might result in you not playing dead but actually being dead, when he grabs your head in his jaws.

So then its you or the bear, and these batons will in one stroke, break bones. You hit him on the nose, he will know he has been hit on the nose.

Check it...




posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I do not think the bear would feel that baton, even if it was swung by Albert Pujols...I have to agree with the other people here...to survive in bear country you need to be armed with a gun...A lot of people do not realize just how powerful these animals are...a grizzly can break the neck of a bull moose with a single swipe of its paw...and they can run as fast as a race horse...No...that bear would get extremely irritated you bopped it in the nose, but then it is all over but the screaming and terror as you find yourself a morsel...
edit on 10/27/2011 by jeichelberg because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7
 


This guy says, "sticks and stones (and batons) may break your bones, but they just make me angry."

If you can't carry a gun or bear spray then don't go into bear country.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7
 


I agree,whilst i do not doubt for a second the damage batons can cause(everyone has lately if theyve watch the OWS coverage lol!) i wouldnt want to have to get that close to the bear in the first place,but i would take the batton rather than nothing,imagine if you took it down with a baton!!!!!C'mon that must merit a handshake from chuck norris himself



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
remember to pack toothpicks so the grizzly bear can pick his teeth after lunch... And napkins..



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Rocketman7
 


This guy says, "sticks and stones (and batons) may break your bones, but they just make me angry."

If you can't carry a gun or bear spray then don't go into bear country.


I'm not planning on going into bear country but whats to stop the bears from going into beer country?



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'll take his word for it.. who am I to try and prove him wrong.
ASP type batons are definitely deadly, and can break bones and put large attackers to sleep.

But I just have this mental image of a 2000lb grizzly looking amazed that a 150lb hiker would have the sack to hit him with a baton.

I guess hitting a Grizzly with a collapsable baton could save your life.. if the bear thinks you are tainted with a brain infection.

This is like the "slow friend" bear defense system.
"you don't have to outrun the bear.. just out run the slow friend".

Wanna go hiking?




posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7
 


The availability of bear sized beer cans?



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg
I do not think the bear would feel that baton, even if it was swung by Albert Pujols...I have to agree with the other people here...to survive in bear country you need to be armed with a gun...A lot of people do not realize just how powerful these animals are...a grizzly can break the neck of a bull moose with a single swipe of its paw...and they can run as fast as a race horse...No...that bear would get extremely irritated you bopped it in the nose, but then it is all over but the screaming and terror as you find yourself a morsel...
edit on 10/27/2011 by jeichelberg because: (no reason given)


So what are you saying? I better forget the 26 inch and go for the 28 inch?

Here is another video, don't try this at home folks. Unless you are a qualified professional.

Its a little long, you can fast forward through it or skip through it if you want to just see the good part.
(well ok, there are no good parts)


edit on 27-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: fixed link



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7
 


Bears are great people. I'm serious, if a bear knows you're around you'll maybe catch a glimpse of it leaving the area quickly. They just don't hang around people unless they're really hungry. They don't come to eat us, they come after trash in dry times. Other than that if you're making noise a bear is the least of your worries.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There was an episode of cops where some crazy guy was walking around making threats while holding a brick.

The police got on scene and told the guy to drop the brick. He refused.
So after talking for a few minutes. One of the cops whipped out his baton.
One shot to the arm holding the brick was all it took to get the guy to drop the brick.
LOL



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
And people wonder why I support the right to keep and arm bears.


Trying to take on a bear with a baton is asking to be torn to shreds.

Guns. That's about the only chance you have.




Are you kidding this is the new civilized age, no shooting animals . You can talk nicely to them but don't bring up religion, you can offer them a sex change and that's ok but no shooting them and of course if they attack you no fighting back because that's bad and not civilized.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Noey777
 


I don't go into the Sierra's or into the Northern Nevada desert without being armed to the teeth.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
I'll take his word for it.. who am I to try and prove him wrong.
ASP type batons are definitely deadly, and can break bones and put large attackers to sleep.

But I just have this mental image of a 2000lb grizzly looking amazed that a 150lb hiker would have the sack to hit him with a baton.

I guess hitting a Grizzly with a collapsable baton could save your life.. if the bear thinks you are tainted with a brain infection.

This is like the "slow friend" bear defense system.
"you don't have to outrun the bear.. just out run the slow friend".

Wanna go hiking?




"Wait up! I hurt my knee! Wait up!"



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noey777

Originally posted by projectvxn
And people wonder why I support the right to keep and arm bears.


Trying to take on a bear with a baton is asking to be torn to shreds.

Guns. That's about the only chance you have.




Are you kidding this is the new civilized age, no shooting animals . You can talk nicely to them but don't bring up religion, you can offer them a sex change and that's ok but no shooting them and of course if they attack you no fighting back because that's bad and not civilized.


Don't forget you cannot skin them, even if they die of natural causes.



posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If only he had a baton instead of an axe.

"A Vancouver Island man who survived an attack by a grizzly bear said he was working in the bush when a sixth sense told him he wasn't alone.

"I have a really keen sense. I had a feeling somebody or something was watching me," said Brent Case, 53, whose encounter with a grizzly occurred last week while he was taking photos near Bella Coola, about 300 kilometres north of Vancouver.

Prowling nearby was one of Canada's biggest predators, waiting for the right moment to pounce.

"I said, 'This is not happening, this is not happening,'" Case said when he saw the bear coming. |


link




top topics



 
1
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join