It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizzly Bear Attack? Shut him down with a telescopic baton

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Bolos

edit on 27-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Better example.

Well, the thing is you could make those if you were you know in the bush and had some light rope.

edit on 27-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Something like that doesn't so well on a 800lb animal that's got most of it's weight in the legs. Please don't throw that at a bear. It's not going to work right on him, and it might anger him. Some things in the wild deserve a wide path. A grizzly bear is one of those animals. If you can't take his life, which is something I do not support, then don't mess with him. Just make plenty of noise where ever you go and try to stay out of their way. Best defense if you have no gun.

Whoops they're only 800 lbs.
Yea, only.
edit on 27-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Think of it this way.

You lay down and play dead, and get partially eaten, maybe die from loss of blood, or you go ape sh*t on him with your baton.

And I mean you go nuckin futz.

A fastball is 70 miles per hour, so the end of that baton is doing 70, and it is hitting with enough force to break its forearm.

If you hit it in the side of its face, you will break its cheek bones.

You need to be as insane and mad as it is. And just whack the livin sh*t out of it in a wild insane fury.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I'm not a bear expert, but if the bear isn't trying to eat you, don't hit it. If you hit him he may decide that anything fighting back must be prey, and prey gets eaten.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

... don't mess with him. Just make plenty of noise where ever you go and try to stay out of their way. Best defense if you have no gun.

Word.

For interest's sake:

Polar/Grizzly Hybrid killed with .303

Besides the Canadian Rangers, the Danes like it too:

The advantage of an 'old fashion' bolt-action rifle in the high arctic is obvious – no matter how cold or icy it gets, that bolt can be worked by the shooter. Under severe arctic winter conditions, the bolts of automatic rifles may jam. The use of 'full-sized' cartridges was dictated by two factors: range and effectiveness against polar bears.

www.casr.ca...

And, when you get really well acquanted with it:

The British equivalent of the German Mauser has one trump on it, a 10 round magazine, compared to 8. The British adopted it into the army in 1895 and used it exclusively until 1957. Soldiers were drilled until they could perform “the mad minute,” firing 30 rounds in 60 seconds and hitting 30 targets. This required reloading twice, and working the bolt back and forth in less than half a second.

The rifle is accurate to 1,000 yards with open sights, and served in India (notoriously used against unarmed civilians), the Boer War, both World Wars, and many others.

listverse.com...

I like my old .303 and trust it for its reliability. Lent the heavy old prybar to a buddy for moose.

edit on 27/10/11 by masqua because: BB Code

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I'm not a bear expert, but if the bear isn't trying to eat you, don't hit it. If you hit him he may decide that anything fighting back must be prey, and prey gets eaten.

Well I quoted an example in this thread where a guy laid down to play dead and the bear was eating him.

It came from out of nowhere practically and he had an axe, but didn't have time to swing it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
is this thread a joke?
i've got a hilarious response if it is...

edit on 27-10-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I think playing dead is a really stupid idea. A bear is an omnivore, that means if it doesn't eat him he's going to eat it. They're generally scared of humans because humans eat bears and they actually understand this (most of them). Playing dead just seems like the exact opposite thing to do. It's not like bears are picky eaters. That's why I say beware bears when food is scarce. The more hungry they are, the more liable they are to not care what you are.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This guy could do it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
is this thread a joke?
i've got a hilarious response if it is...

edit on 27-10-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

Well its funny, but bear attack is no joke.

Throwing a ball with your left hand, is funny, if you are right handed, less so if you are trying to throw it at a bear.

Give us your best shot.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
Throwing a ball with your left hand, is funny, if you are right handed, less so if you are trying to throw it at a bear.

I'd suggest keeping your hands away from balls entirely so that they're free to bang pots with.

Honestly?

The baton thing?

You wouldn't have a hope against a ticked off young black bear just free of it's momma.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Now I've seen everything.

How could anybody deduce or even suggest that that would shut down a Grizzly?

Seriously, a Full Grown Grizzly would use that baton as a toothpick when finished with the fool attempting to use it on it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ok here is one, the high tech one.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I wouldn't hit these guys with a crown victoria.
You crazy.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I wouldn't hit these guys with a crown victoria.
You crazy.

They are fat,
and they are srow.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

when/if i die in my next bear fight i'm totaly gonna sue ur a$$.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

A grizzly can run at 30 mph. That's 2 mph faster than the human body is capable of running. Most humans can't hit 20 mph.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

You know at first I thought you were joking, but now that I see you might actually be a little serious. In that case all's I got to say is.....WTF are you smoking bro? Taking on a bear with a baton...really?.....Dam dude I would not recommend even taking on some people with those baton's, much less a bear that weighs over 600 pounds easily for the small ones.

# I didn't even know they even had "bear repellent spray" I thought you were joking till I goggled it up. It sounded like something out of the old batman show with the "bat repellent shark spray" from one of episodes. You learn something new every day on ATS.

In fact though most wild animals including bears will avoid people unless really hungry, from what I read of you on this thread op, I would not even recommend you engage a bear with a gun. I hope your kidding, because I assure you it wont turn out like this commercial did.

Sorry bro your kung fu is no good.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

You know at first I thought you were joking, but now that I see you might actually be a little serious. In that case all's I got to say is.....WTF are you smoking bro? Taking on a bear with a baton...really?.....Dam dude I would not recommend even taking on some people with those baton's, much less a bear that weighs over 600 pounds easily for the small ones.

# I didn't even know they even had "bear repellent spray" I thought you were joking till I goggled it up. It sounded like something out of the old batman show with the "bat repellent shark spray" from one of episodes. You learn something new every day on ATS.

In fact though most wild animals including bears will avoid people unless really hungry, from what I read of you on this thread op, I would not even recommend you engage a bear with a gun. I hope your kidding, because I assure you it wont turn out like this commercial did.

Sorry bro your kung fu is no good.

See?

humans are smarter than your average bear.

Hit im where it hurts. If you only have one shot, make it a good one.

I still think I will practice with the bolos. Slow him down a bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join