It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photography of ATS Members

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Using Photoshop isn't cheating at all. If it helps you make a more incredible image, by all means use it. Not that it should be used in place of technical skill on the camera, but there are always mistakes to fix, branches to get rid of, things to crop out - especially on my camera where the image taken is slightly larger than the image shown in the viewfinder), colors and contrast to adjust, etc. If someone wants to do everything in camera and can come out with good results, all the better. But using the tools available does not make you a lesser photographer - it doesn't necessarily make you a better photographer either, HOWEVER, sometimes the thing that makes or breaks a photograph is that one tiny contrast/color adjustment.

Here are a few I've taken lately that I'm proud of:

And I can't remember if I posted this one before:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
some wonderfull photographs guys.
Its very impressive.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I love this one, it's fantastic.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
LC, that one that par pointed out, was it at an archaeological or paleontological dig? Or is it a work site that they are using the sifter for?

Again, your pics are excellent.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A few of mine...

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You want to use the url of the photo, which you can get by right-clicking the photo (in IE) and then selecting "Properties" and then you can see the "Address" right there.

For example, in some of them, you have the url of the page that is part of that website that they are displayed on, rather than the URL of the photo.

But I looked through them, they are great. I like the parot especially!
Were you on vacation? Cuz if you actualyl live in surroundings that please, I am going to have to smack ya!

Oh good, I see you are in canada. mwa hahah!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

dragonfly - rouge valley

feeding hippo - toronto zoo

couple-o-bugs - rouge valley

geese formation - lake ontario

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
nice photos.
especially 1 and 4 in my op.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Nice, fattyp. I was at the Toronto Zoo a few weeks ago. I unfrotunately forgot my camera. If I'd had it I would have gotten some awersome shots of the prangutans and their new baby, the baboons and their baby, the cheetahs and the lions. We went on a sunny sunday afternoon and the lions were out sunbathing. Such gorgeous creatures. Lots of the animals were just hiding that day, though whcih sucked but it was still fun.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamJ
this is an inspiring thread.

what camera do you recommend getting,

www.polaroid.com...

can you get good quality ones for cheap

Heck yeah.

or should i spend alot of money?

Absolutely not. One of the peopel that's been posting great pics here is using a disposable camera. The money's got nothing to do with it, especially in the begining. If you have a camera on your phone, use it. If your parents have an old camera, use it. The polaroid instant cameras above are supposed to be great to learn with, because you can get your results right away. True, you can't muck around with the focus, shutter speed, etc (i don't think anyway), but if you mess around with one of those for a while, and pay attention to what yer doing, then you've got something great!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Nygdan: It is not an archaeological dig site, but, in fact, a pile of dirt (dug out of the ground by myself, last year) being strained to remove rocks before putting it in a garden bed. I think.

I wanted to further emphasize my opinion regarding the use of Photoshop with several examples. The first image contained objects which were a bright red - too similar to the color of my foreground object and distracting away from it. As you can see, the removal of all bright red colors in the background brought more attention to the pot in the foreground and the sunset, which looks like a nuclear explosion, leading to the title: Two Suns In The Sunset, referencing the Pink Floyd song about nuclear war. Note that this image was processed with Photomatix before the point that it is shown here.

This one is one I included in my previous post, and I thought I'd show what it looked like straight out of the camera before any adjustment. I sharpened, boosted saturation and contrast a bit, warmed it up a bit, and lightened/desaturated the background. (The warming and saturating caused it to get too colorful.)

So, in conclusion, I heartily recommend using Photoshop or a comparable photo editing program to everyone who is not already doing so.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Great attention to timing and composition fattyp – Number two just makes me say over and over in my mind “hungry, hungry hippos”

If I can make one suggestion…I think your first three shots would have benefited from positioning the camera vertically…And on most occasions, placing your subject more or less at the center of your image makes the overall effect less dramatic – Sometimes this can be rectified by a simple crop – I hope you don’t mind that I made a few examples of what I mean below ;-)

I also gave them this once-over with this quick tutorial – Take it or leave it, just wanted to share ;-)

It’s a huge pleasure to see this thread so active….I only wish I had more time to spend on the boards, but I’ve been so busy with work these days!

Here are a few recent images I’ve gotten…Most of my brief hours of sunlight left after work are spent strolling around town looking for something of interest to snap…

My niece is most definitely destined to become a model

Edit: Rusty bbcode - Can't fiugre out what's wrong with that last image, but you can copy and paste, can't you?!

[edit on 4/11/2006 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamJ
this is an inspiring thread.

what camera do you recommend getting, can you get good quality ones for cheap or should i spend alot of money?

Personally, I would recommend getting a decent used film SLR first and either taking a photography class somewhere (giving you access to the darkroom) or just having the photos processed somewhere (though that gives you less control). The main reasons for this, aside from the advantage of the class and the darkroom, are that you can start out higher quality results for cheaper, and you'll learn all the technical parts of the camera quicky since most old SLRs are full manual.

However! You can certainly get good photographs with point-and-shoot cameras. A majority of what makes a photograph is the composition, lighting and post-processing. My friend and co-contributor to Photon uses a point-and-shoot Canon for his digital photography and he's able to take fantastic images such as this and this.

So, since you're interested and probably want to start taking some photos of your own right away, you may very well want to start out with a mid-range point-and-shoot. I'd recommend looking at the Canon PowerShot series. Just from my quick glance at Froogle, they range from around $230 - $500.

But that's just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Ohhh – Great example on Photoshop Logan

What a stunning image…I often find you take oridnary objects and place them extraordinary settings…

However, I also get the impression you must live in a charred nuclear waste zone! LMAO

I think I’d put a mask over that desaturation….You loose the tinges of red and green in those barrels off to the right, which conflict less with the tone of your pot…

At any rate - If you shoot digital, Photoshop is must in my opinion….It’s the digital darkroom…I think you would find that there are very few film photographers who do their own developing and do not dodge and burn…

True, Photoshop offers many other alternatives and an endless degree of creative expression….But it’s a remarkably diverse piece of software that is designed to give the user the option to either leave very subtle or incredibly dramatic variations….It depends on your knowledge of the software and your comfort with altering the true image….

I would agree that if you decide you’re going to make heavy alterations in Photoshop and then post them here, you simply give a heads up in your post – “Hey, I used Photoshop on this image…” – Sometimes it may be obvious, but at other times it may not be – Not giving fair warning can create a negative impact/impression on some…

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Can't fiugre out what's wrong with that last image, but you can copy and paste, can't you?!

You mean like this?

(You forgot to put a space before the img-tag in the link...)

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
You mean like this?

(You forgot to put a space before the img-tag in the link...)

Show off.....

Thanks

See what happens when you go without your ATS fix for too long....I must be suffering from Cosmic-Dehydration

Quick! I’ve got to ban someone – stat!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Why is this guy paranoid?

Could it be that everyone is LOOKING AT HIM?

It ALL looks good to me! woof.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

awwwwwww! This kitty looks like the one that has adopted ME in my area. Almost 2 years ago, this neighborhood cat befriended me and has since come to visit at least twice a week. I feed him, pet him and provide him with company and toys.

2 weeks ago when it was still cold, kitty came to visit and noticed the pond fish underneath the melting ice. He ventured out onto the thin ice which prompted me to run for my camera, expecting a SPLASH!!!!!

While kitty was exploring the frozen tundra, I envisioned kitty falling through the ice, me rushing to save it, and getting my arms bit and clawed to death... so I made a couple silly noises to distract the cat so it left the thinning surface of the ice.

anyhow... here's a couple pics of the kitty I've grown to love and would adopt if it were not for my serious allergies!

LOL.... he's on such thin ice.... when the ice started creaking... kitty slowly started ninja-stepping his way backwards towards the grass.

kitty enjoying some garden spices

stand tall kitty... stand tall.

ps. thx for the tips everyone, nothing wrong with sharing ideas!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
some very nice shots.I.m impressed.Nice work

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Checkpoint Charlie memorial

tall buildings - downtown Berlin

a couple sections of the Pergamon Alter

holocaust memorial

I miss Germany!

edit: those sections are the Zeus and Athena sections!

[edit on 12-4-2006 by fattyp]

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join