It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 EQ Oregon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
That's a good sized one.

Will update.

Anyone feel this one?
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

No Tsunami warning so far:
ptwc.weather.gov...

22 minutes ago
Magnitude: 5.9
DateTime: Thursday October 13 2011, 04:13:59 UTC
Region: off the coast of Oregon
Depth: 10 km

Confirmed:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Location 43.450°N, 127.102°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 233 km (144 miles) W of Coos Bay, Oregon
277 km (172 miles) WSW of Newport, Oregon
277 km (172 miles) NW of Brookings, Oregon
365 km (226 miles) WSW of SALEM, Oregon
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 18 km (11.2 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)

ETA:

Just got an interesting U2U from ATS member Wrabbit2000. Makes a good point on a nearby volcano. Kindly gave me permission to share with everyone.
Thank you Wrabbit2000

I'd stumbled across this while back checking the quake, I wonder if you might prefer to add it to your own top post vs. seeing me drop it onto my own post and detract from yours... Either way, I thought this was quite interesting and figured it might add to the story. hisz.rsoe.hu... ^^ That map shows the undersea volcano just south of the Epicenter....and www.volcano.si.edu... ^^ That one explains why they may be related...or not. This volcano doesn't look threatening to anything but fish...but does have fairly recent history of putting out minor eruptions. Perhaps one is related to the other?

On a side note, Turkey and Greece are still rumbling at this time:

Posted an earlier thread and it's still swarming over there:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
That is a good sized one. Do you have any damage?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hmmmm.....right on the fault. A bit bigger than average, but not an usuall area to see some 5 mag quakes a few times a year. We'll have to see what it's followed by. Usually there are two or three at a time (in about a two day period)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

That won't cause damage anywhere. It's quite a ways off-shore.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Sorry, I had a bean burrito and man that bad boy gave one hell of a fight. I'll try not to make such a ruckus next time!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow, interesting but to answer your question i didn't feel anything in Portland, not a thing.. but saying that i was pretty engrossed at the time.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Cascadia event? Hopefully it's a stress reliever and not a precursor of bigger quakes to come.
Stay safe everyone on the west coast.
edit on 12-10-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Actually I live right above Washington in BC, Canada, about a 4 hour drive from Oregon to where I live and I didn't feel anything... Like WestCoast stated there shouldn't be any damage considering where it occurred.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I am in Ashland which is about 100 miles inland and I didn't feel anything. Hopefully this is not a foreshadow of events to come.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
Cascadia event? Hopefully it's a stress reliever and not a precursor of bigger quakes to come.

Hope you're right.

Lots of bigger ones this year and the NA West Coast has so far been lucky.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for the update.

Although I will second those who said let's wait and see how this fault's activity develops over the next week or so.

I am glad that it was isolated off coast and unlikely to case any real damage on the land.

Here is a USGS link to the event report

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm too close for comfort... Thanks for the alert.

I didn't feel a thing.
I like bubble-baths.

Sometimes I imagine getting chucked-out of my tub.
So much for any bubble-baths this week.

edit on (10/13/1111 by loveguy because:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
144 miles out may not have been felt inland much. Neither me nor my pets have noticed anything unusual. The Cascade Subduction zone is no joke however, and we are due for such an event.
Just checked for Tsunami warning and none has been issued thus far.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn

It didn't come from the subduction zone, but the Juan De Fuca Ridge. Doesn't mean that it can't have an impact on the zone, or be a symptom of stress...but it didn't originate from the actual subducting plates.

ETA: a quake of that size, on that kind of fault, is very unlikely to create any kind of tsunami
edit on 13-10-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'm right there on the coast...Didn't notice a thing

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I don't believe that was a 5.9.

Follow that list back up soon or in 7 days and watch it drop to a 4.9 to 5.3 in the back catalog.

Just my opinion of course, but I did pull the waveforms of that quake in GEE, and the amplitude just isn't there for a 5.9. You can see it also in the phase data:

neic.usgs.gov...
edit on Thu Oct 13th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

USGS is a bunch of bull. First they are reporting EQs to be smaller than what they were and now larger than what they are.. where can we get a reliable source?? In fact I don't even see it reported here www.emsc-csem.org... but we can see that there was also a 6.1 in Indonesia.

But, I think we all know that there wont be another EQ to report for another 2-3 weeks, when another 5.7-6.4 occurs. I won't lose sleep over it.... yet

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Look at all the activity in and near Greece too. Very strange.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Look at all those quakes. Too close for comfort.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Well I don't know what's going on up there, but this just happened recently exactly the same with a 6+ quake they eventually downgraded way down. After seeing the waveforms which I pulled for this "5.9" quake, and comparing to the years I have watching GEE, I say no way Jose that was a 5.9. The lack of long distance propagation of any meaningful amplitude argues the size of that quake by itself. I will update if I catch the downgrade- but I am just saying that a downgrade is likely in the near future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join