It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study links vitamins to higher death rates in women

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Let's not forget the article wraps it up with:

"The researchers note that previous research has shown that vitamin users tend to have healthier lifestyles, in general. But they also say it's possible that some of the women took vitamins to remedy health problems or diseases that may have influenced their death risk."

'Possible'... eh.. I'd say 'more likely' and that the article title is completely misleading.

This would explain why there is the phenomena. People can be healthy without taking vitamins, as it isn't absolutely vital to them should their vitamins be given to them through their diets. However, those who do typically take vitamins, are likely already sick, and try to use vitamins as a means of improving some deficiency in their health (I speak from experience).

Let's get a study showing us who buys vitamins - people with zero health problems, or people with health problems - and we'll have the answer. Though, I think we already know what it'll be.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Suspiria-
Ahh yes, Fenugreek has a smell that only a mother could love, for that reason alone I found it works very well as birth control

Well, I guess it's time to get back to work making herbal tinctures and medicines. If you ask me, this most certainly qualifies as propaganda against the vitamin aisle.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

Beyond Perception:

How about a study that actually measures vitamin levels in people who chose to take vitamins against people who choose not to take vitamins and comparing the results to recommended minimum levels / and then correlating the results to those who have diseases?

Michelle

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I eat a very healthy diet. If I don't take nutrients on top of this diet, my skin breaks out. It cracks, peels, and doesn't have the oily sheen seen in very healthy individuals. Taking molecularly distilled fish oil, evening primrose oil, vitamin c, and vitamin e clears up all these issues. My hair gets super soft, and shiny, too!

Now, seeing that the skin is the largest organ in the body, and it's noticeably improved in health, how could I not conclude that my internal organs are becoming nice and shiny as well.

I don't care for the studies, sorry. I have common sense.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I thought the same thing after seeing this article posted on yahoo and Daily News. It's laughable really. Aspirin has killed more people than any multivitamin. There's a really good documentary on this subject called Food Matters. It’s Definitely recommended.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Dietary Supplements and Mortality Rate in Older Women

The Iowa Women's Health Study

Jaakko Mursu, PhD; Kim Robien, PhD; Lisa J. Harnack, DrPH, MPH; Kyong Park, PhD; David R. Jacobs Jr, PhD

Arch Intern Med. 2011;171(18):1625-1633. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.445

archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/171/18/1625
edit on Tue Oct 11 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My college prof. brought this up in class today. Its a health and aging class

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

That abstract of the study is about as vague as all the articles that just came out in the last day.

Were all the women of the same exact or even relative health? How were their diet habits? Were each of them using supploements at the same consistency? Did any of them take prescription medication? Who paid for the study?

These are the things CNN should be asking.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oh Noes! I better tell my Grandmother! She's 98 and in perfect health. She walks, rides her bike, cleans her house and loves to go out to the mall for lunch and shopping. She's been taking vitamins for the last 50 years. I'll let her know about this 'research'.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by BeyondPerception

Beyond Perception:

How about a study that actually measures vitamin levels in people who chose to take vitamins against people who choose not to take vitamins and comparing the results to recommended minimum levels / and then correlating the results to those who have diseases?

Michelle

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, no one has said anything about the quality of the vitamins these women were taking. What really matters is absoption. There is a much wider variety of higher quality supplements available today than in 1986 when the study began.

It makes me crazy when "scientists" selectively report such "findings" on MSM because it affects the quality of life for many people. "Now we can't get Grandma to take her Flintstones."

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You should not be trusting this source. Interesting how the main supplements mentioned in the OP are the most important for overall heath and well being.

Yep this is the same group looking to find funding through the big pharma who we all know have the vested interests of a healthy tomorrow in mind for everyone.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Oh so true! That was my first hit upon reading the Op.

I can just imagine all of the pharmaceutical supplements and their chemical affects.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Funny how this study mentions nothing about the 100,000 + that die
each year from Big Pharma drugs.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

I am surprised we haven't had members barging in and telling us the pharmaceuticals are safe and the vitamins are unsafe due to a lack of enforcement standards (they frequent every thread on this topic). The FDA in the USA allow poisons in the food and medical industry yet they discredit natural healthy things that come from nature.

We know damn we they don't care about our health as long as they practice this crazyness. We should also every study they put out, such as this one since it isn't our well being they are considering.
edit on 11-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

I am surprised we haven't had members barging in and telling us the pharmaceuticals are safe and the vitamins are unsafe due to a lack of enforcement standards (they frequent every thread on this topic). The FDA in the USA allow poisons in the food and medical industry yet they discredit natural healthy things that come from nature.

I have to take pharmaceutical drugs but I know this, sometimes I have been prescribed things that are very dangerous. For instance, I was prescribed Ritalin and Topamax at the same time. I do not have epilepsy but was told it would help me lose weight. Ritalin is almost the same thing as coc aine. It was really a bad experience and I had only taken them once.

But on the other side of the coin, as a person with a chronic illness I am constantly bombarded by claims that natural cures will cure me of all my illness. The problem is there is no proof it actually does. So what I think is this, do not take anything unless you do research on it. Don't assume that either side is the cure-all because neither side is.

I take Copaxone and Vitamin B12, those both work really well for me. They may not work for someone else. If someone were to ask me, I would just simply say that this is what it did for me.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I wonder how many drink milk in this study? Milk leaches calcium from your bones and can give you all sorts of nasty medical issues. Milk is NOT good for you.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Milk is another reason why we shouldn't trust anything these studies and applicable organizations say. We are told that milk is good and we are urged to consume lots of it. Commercial milk is so full of junk and you don't hear them telling us about that very often. Whole milk straight from the cow is great for you, but it's illegal. What a freaking joke.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I suspect this report is accurate - most vitamins aren't "natural source" and even 'real' ones are problematic - manufacturing processes often create infectious misfolded proteins.

Also, chronic disease caused by misfolded proteins is pandemic - vitamins can bump immune reactions, which bumps inflammation - and causes progression of already present underlying diseases. Sort of the mini-version of a cytokine storm.

I stopped taking vitamins years ago - and I'm better off. Fish oil doesn't count btw.

S&F though - important info

edit on 11/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

There are definitely risks with anything that is processed or mass produced, including vitamins, foods, and yes...pharmaceuticals including vaccinations. The overall risks of these vitamins are minimal compared to the benefits. Some people literally urinate their money buy buying low quality vitamins and supplements but there are good ones available for not much more money.

Protein folding is possible, but is usually caused by pre-existing conditions, hereditary many of the times. Pharmaceutical products such as medications and vaccinations are known to contribute to some degenerate diseases that promote protein folding. There is no proof that vitamins can cause protein folding. May I ask where you heard this from?

edit on 11-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: can't type today =(

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's really important not to take such studies to heart. Associations are not always causations. It's quite likely that the correlation is positive because women on the brink of death tend to load up on vitamins to try and post-pone the inevitable.
edit on 11-10-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join