It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study links vitamins to higher death rates in women

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Personally I think the study is BS. Vitamins offer a lot, especially since today's food are subpar and most do not eat healthy to begin with. What I also want to know is, where these test subjects taking any DRUGS (prescription) along with the vitamins, and the vitamins got the bad rap. I want to know WHO funded the study or had it commissioned????

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by soficrow

There are definitely risks with anything that is processed or mass produced, including vitamins, foods, and yes...pharmaceuticals including vaccinations.

….Protein folding is possible, but is usually caused by pre-existing conditions, hereditary many of the times. Pharmaceutical products such as medications and vaccinations are known to contribute to some degenerate diseases that promote protein folding.

Most misfolded protein diseases are "sporadic" - about 90% by most reports - not familial or hereditary. More to the point, pharmaceutical products like medications and vaccinations do much more than 'contribute' to degenerate diseases and 'promote' protein misfolding - infectious misfolded proteins are created in the manufacturing process or during storage.

A Role for Protein Misfolding in Immunogenicity of Biopharmaceuticals

…..misfolding of therapeutic proteins is an immunogenic signal and a risk factor for immunogenicity. ……Over the past decades, the use of therapeutic proteins has become common practice in medicine ……

Protein misfolding is an intrinsic and problematic property of proteins, which underlies a variety of degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer disease. These diseases are characterized by the occurrence of fibrillar deposits, classically termed amyloid, containing aggregates of misfolded proteins.

……experiments pointed out that biopharmaceuticals, like any other protein, are amyloidogenic and that misfolding, detected by amyloid markers, takes place in several preparations. These markers, however, are not necessarily specific for fibrillar amyloid, but also for smaller misfolded protein species.

….. Various Biopharmaceuticals Display Amyloid-like Properties upon Exposure to Conditions of Stress, Indicating Protein Misfolding — During manufacturing and storage, biopharmaceuticals may also become exposed to various conditions of stress that can potentially underlie protein misfolding and the formation of amyloid-like properties.

…….Our results point to a common mechanism by which the immune system perceives misfolded proteins. We hypothesize that this lies in the changed conformation of the protein backbone itself. This implies that the innate immune system may be activated by recognition of the amyloid-like properties of misfolded protein. …

There is no proof that vitamins can cause protein folding. May I ask where you heard this from?

…I don't have any specific references - or the time to research. But the protein in vitamins subject to misfolding during manufacture or storage would be gelatin or another filler, depending on the formulation.

The overall risks of these vitamins are minimal compared to the benefits.

I'm anti-Big Pharma, and pro-alternative medicine - but I'm really not sure I'm behind that statement. Partly because boosting the immune system is absolutely the wrong thing to do all too often (re: cytokine-related inflammation), partly because too much is too contaminated by infectious proteins and other things, and mostly because vitamins -like any other medication or herbal remedy- should be individualized as in personalized medicine, with the dosage adjusted daily and at need. No one size fits all. Not ever.

Some people literally urinate their money buy buying low quality vitamins and supplements but there are good ones available for not much more money.

You only urinate away the excess if the vitamin is water-based - if it's oil-based you don't excrete it, it accumulates to toxic levels and you get really sick, maybe die. Quality has nothing to do with it.

.......I have not evaluated this study - but on my own, several years ago, I stopped taking vitamins because I learned too much about the dangers (except Vitamin C and cod liver oil in the winter). For what it's worth.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am providing here a link to the october 2010 publication of Archive of Internal Medicine. I have determined that this "study" is the exact same study that was published in 2009

Now why would the authors publish the same study TWICE - with press releases each time. Is it possible that they are following Hitler's advice on the BIG LIE (tell a lie so outrageous but tell it over and over again?)

Apparantly this "new"? study was funded by the women's health institute from monies provided through the National Health Institue by the US government under the Economic Development and Recovery Act.

Now this is a bit surprising isn't it? Money provided by the government under Economic Development and Recovery Act was used to fund a study that was conducted and published in 2009? Or am I mistaken here.
Tired of Control Freak

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

TiredofControlFreaks left this link to the actual study mid way through page one. You get most of the information you requested on that page.

I'm with you though, the study sounds like complete BS.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
here is a description of how useless this study really is from the Linus Pauling Institute.

lpi.oregonstate.edu...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

You're right! It's the same study! Unbelievable

This is another pathetic attempt on their behalf to spread the same disinformation. Just in time for flu season too. What will it take for people to finally realize that we are nothing more than profit generating guinea pigs?
edit on 11-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Anyone here on ATS should have seen this coming anyway,.
There have been numerous threads on the war against vitamins.
This is just the beginning and I would wager that the study will somehow
be connected to Pharma..I dont really care either way,.But it does piss me off
that they are starting this in the first place. cause in my earlier statement. the stats
are clear that more people die from prescribed drugs than those from vitamins, like 2%
of 100,000,. watch the movie "Food Matters" that gives ya an Idea
edit on 11-10-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This really doesn't supprise me after looking up some of the ingredents in those multi vitamines...

potassium chloride - "Some cardiac surgery procedures cannot be carried out on the beating heart. For these procedures, the surgical team will bypass the heart with a heart-lung machine and inject potassium chloride into the heart muscle to stop the heartbeat. Some recently developed methods now allow surgery on the beating heart."

cupric sulfate - "Because of its irritating effect on the gastrointestinal tract, vomiting is automatically triggered in case of the ingestion of copper sulfate. However, if copper sulfate is retained in the stomach, the symptoms can be severe. After 1–12 grams of copper sulfate are swallowed, such poisoning signs may occur as a metallic taste in the mouth, burning pain in the chest, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, discontinued urination, which leads to yellowing of the skin. In case of copper sulfate poisoning, injury to the brain, stomach, liver, or kidneys may also occur."

sodium selenate - "Caution should be used if considering a selenium supplement, as it is easy to consume too much. The current RDA is 55 micrograms a day. As little as 400 mcg selenium a day is capable of causing selenosis. Selenosis can cause traumatic changes, including neurological ones and even lead to death."

sources mostly wiki

Lol wow though those are just some of the ingredients for the 1 a day multivitamine... the dose might be small enough that it appears safe but is it really now because of that study?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I don't have time to read all the replies. I skimmed two pages of 'em and nobody mentioned this, so I will.

The study was on women 55 to 69 y.o.

Tracked for 19 years.

55 + 19 = 74 ( a reasonable age to die)

69 + 19 = 88 ( a more than reasonable age to die)

40% of the women died roughly, on schedule. The over whelming majority of them lived beyond the average life span.

SO! What's the problem?

The setup for this study is bloody hilarious!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Codex is not your friend. They are constantly chipping away at US laws protecting us. They wanted codex in affect years ago and some of us have been fighting against new laws for years. They tried to fully implement codex in this bill but the outcry of millions of americans got the language changed. They passed this is a countless vote if i remember right. I wrote tons of letters to my representatives and only got form letters... if anything. This bill innitially would have fully implemented codex: Food Safety Bill.

If you haven't seen this. Please, Please take an hour and watch this. This is not just another ATS conspiracy... this is one of the scariest agendas being pushed on us. They want to put codex in effect no if ands or butts. This woman explains codex completely and fully. Research what she says, she does not exaggerate.

They deem healthy food illegal yet push GMO foods:
atst hread 1
link 2
link 3

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ermm... Vitamins are absolutely essential and large quantities can actually cure disease.

Your average processed multivitamins are an entirely different matter.

...Whatever you do, DON'T DRINK TOO MUCH FRESH VEGETABLE JUICE!

I just found this study entertaining because I think that age group of women, unless they are wise medicine women or mystics, aren't particularly useful in society. As far as I'm concerned, they can pop out some fresh ones and go. This is from a purely practical mindset, of course...

edit on 11-10-2011 by ImplodeThisExistence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's just waaaaay too convenient that a study like this would come out right after the FDA starts talking about taking multi-vitamins and dietary supplements off the market.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

It is pretty convenient isn't it. Too many coincidences when it comes to these studies, always.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

They were taking the vitamins for a reason. Maybe their condition is what killed them. Some people try to go an alternate route and take vitamins as opposed to taking meds. Maybe this study was done by a Big Pharma agency trying to scare women away from vitamins and towards their meds.

I take vitamins. I'm not in my 50's , but I'm not gonna stop on account of this "survey"

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
I am providing here a link to the october 2010 publication of Archive of Internal Medicine. I have determined that this "study" is the exact same study that was published in 2009

Not quite.

The 2009 paper is....
Multivitamin Use and Risk of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease in the Women's Health Initiative Cohorts

The new, few days old, 2011 paper is...
Dietary Supplements and Mortality Rate in Older Women

...but I havnt yet gone through it to find if its the same numbers just rehashed in a new way to get another paper published, or its actually the results of a further follow on study with 2 years more observational data of the subjects.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have taken vitamins on and off for many years. I take them as an addition to an already healthy lifestyle. When I have experimented and not taken them - I definitely feel the benefit when I resume.

Now factor in that I read widely and I know that fresh food is becoming a myth. Chemicals are in the ground where the food grows - chemicals are sprayed on the food as it grows - chemicals and processes occur after the food is harvested - how do we get away from chemicals?

Then we factor in everything that science is doing at the seed and germination level...
Is it any wonder some of us want to include vitamins and herbal remedies in our day to day diet.

The article definitely has spin on it - with regard to turning people away from vitamins. As for the ages - to start a study with people at the age of 55 years let alone 69 years - is ludicrous. The people could have had the onset of many debilitating diseases to start with and let us not forget - at the end of the study the participants would have been 74 years to 88 years - pretty good innings by some standards.

Where did the participants live - a war torn country - third world country - middle class - upper class ? Depending on where you live there are a multitude of factors that can contribute to a persons death. Vitamins not helping - they can't bloody hurt considering the state of the Earth and her atmosphere.

When will the cabal/illuminati/whatever realise that people are waking up - are reading books - making their own decisions - and realising that lies and 'spin' are not working.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I just want to include the fact that the nuclear disaster in Japan is the worst that the Earth has seen. Worse than Chernobyl. How can we grow fresh food when the wind and water are contaminated.

Have a look at an Australian doctor by the name of Helen Caldicott and her description of what we have done to our Earth. Youtube clip titled Why I Am Leaving Vancouver-British-Columbia-Canada-Thanks-Fukushima.

My heart goes out to all the people in Fukushima.

God/Heaven/Someone help us - because the cabal/illuminati/whatever are not helping us.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just found a very interesting article on my favourite news website. The title of the article really sums it up!

Go to sott.net (signs of the time)
Go to Health & Wellness
Title of article is - 27 Years; No Deaths from Vitamins, 3 Million From Prescription Drugs.

I visit this site daily - there are different sections - I thoroughly recommend this site for accurate up to date news.

Much Peace

NB: I can hear you asking why I don't post a link. I am a Teacher and when you press a button without engaging your cognitive skills you are playing into the plan of the cabal/illuminati/whatever I Teach with reason and purpose and I Teach so that people can learn with me or without me - that - as I have been taught is the benchmark of a dedicated Teacher.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

And tonight, I saw on the "news", that they are trying to link VITAMIN E (for godssakes) to prostate cancer.

abc News

I love these studies. You know, you can pretty much get any result you want if you work at it long enough. No mention about the lifestyles of these men.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Sorry if it has been mentioned but i thought there was an interesting point made in the article i read,
That the people taking the supplements may have been doing so, because of illness,
Therefore already at a higher risk of death?

edit on 12/10/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: made no sense

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join