It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study links vitamins to higher death rates in women

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Study links vitamins to higher death rates in women

news.sympatico.ctv.ca

The study involved about 39,000 women who were between the ages of 55 and 69 when the study began and were tracked for 19 years.

During that time, about 40 per cent of them died. When the researchers looked at who took vitamins, those who chose multivitamins had a slightly higher risk of death than those who took no supplements at all. The same was found for women who regularly took iron, vitamin B6, folic acid, magnesium, zinc and copper.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Ctv.ca
edit on 11-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have not yet had the chance to look into the study or the group who performed the study but this sure seems like another brick in the Codex Alimentarius agenda wall. If you are not aware of the codex, please look into it. It seems that TPTB are assisting the pharmaceutical companies in achieving their monopoly in the health industry. The recent crack down on supplements in Europe is a prime example. They will stop people from taking herbs that have been proven to work over millennia but will push harmful pharmaceutical chemicals to the population. It is clear that financial gain is their main concern and not the health of the people. They must think we are stupid if they think we are going to believe that taking vitamins will lower your life expectancy.

news.sympatico.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Here is a link to a related thread that discusses a study that claims vitamin D and calcium supplements are unnescesarry:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are not very good at hiding their agenda. The overral plan seems to be that they want us to avoid healthy supplements and focus more on patented pharmaceuticals that increase the wealth of large corporations with links to governmental organizations.

Here is a link to a great thread about the Codex. It also links to other threads and pages on the subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
They are gearing us up to take
vitamins off the shelf and leave
us with nothing but pharmaceutical
medications. I for one will continue
to take my vitamins.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
vitamins and should be PART of an healthy diet, supplements should only be taken by those with deficiency.
theres no substance people wont abuse.

what may be good becomes ill when consumed in excess.

this without touching on the codex and big pharma issue.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Reply to Corruption Exposed:

You are 100 % absolutely correct and you win the prize!

This is a quote from the actual study:

We documented cancers of the breast (invasive), colon/rectum, endometrium, kidney, bladder, stomach, ovary, and lung; CVD (myocardial infarction, stroke, and venous thromboembolism); and total mortality.

Results A total of 41.5% of the participants used multivitamins. After a median of 8.0 years of follow-up in the clinical trial cohort and 7.9 years in the observational study cohort, 9619 cases of breast, colorectal, endometrial, renal, bladder, stomach, lung, or ovarian cancer; 8751 CVD events; and 9865 deaths were reported. Multivariate-adjusted analyses revealed no association of multivitamin use with risk of cancer (hazard ratio [HR], 0.98, and 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.91-1.05 for breast cancer; HR, 0.99, and 95% CI, 0.88-1.11 for colorectal cancer; HR, 1.05, and 95% CI, 0.90-1.21 for endometrial cancer; HR, 1.0, and 95% CI, 0.88-1.13 for lung cancer; and HR, 1.07, and 95% CI, 0.88-1.29 for ovarian cancer); CVD (HR, 0.96, and 95% CI, 0.89-1.03 for myocardial infarction; HR, 0.99, and 95% CI, 0.91-1.07 for stroke; and HR, 1.05, and 95% CI, 0.85-1.29 for venous thromboembolism); or mortality (HR, 1.02, and 95% CI, 0.97-1.07).

Conclusion After a median follow-up of 8.0 and 7.9 years in the clinical trial and observational study cohorts, respectively, the Women's Health Initiative study provided convincing evidence that multivitamin use has little or no influence on the risk of common cancers, CVD, or total mortality in postmenopausal women.

This is a link to the actual study:
archinte.ama-assn.org...

You will notice that the reported hazard ratios were often lower than 1 (where 1 reports the hazard ratio of getting the disease in question if you were simply a member the of general population) and the confidence interval straddled 1.0 (the range started at some point below 1 and ended at some point just above 1).

This results indicate that there is no significant difference between the risk of getting these diseases if you take the vitamins or if you don't! Therefore the difference in risk of death between 40 and 41 % was also insignificant (ie no difference).

This study also has the weakness that the only true information that was gathered was through the use of questionaires. People often bias their answers in health questions in hopes of making themselves "look" better to the staff.

This is bona fide junk science! And the press release is deliberately misleading! This was published for the political reasons to support the Codex Alimentarius (ie we the government have to control the use of vitamins and nutritional supplements because you the people are at increased risk of death).

Ah - governing through fear.....and how many sheeple will fall for it! Never settle for just a newspaper article and a press release. Always read the original study and see what it really says.

Tired of Control Freaks

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

I understand your concern about abusing any substance. The thing is that vegetables and other foods are not as nutritious as they were a few decades ago. So it is safe to say that many people are deficient compared to a few decades ago. I personally don't see how anyone could abuse things such as vitamin C or calcium. I'm sure anything can be harmful in large enough doses, but when is the last time you ever heard of anyone overdosing on vitamin C?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I did find this in the article:

Nevertheless, they add that older women, and perhaps men, might benefit from vitamin D supplements, especially if they have insufficient vitamin D from their diet and sun exposure. As for calcium, that "may require further study," they add.

I don't think they'll take away Canadian's Vitamin D, we have a lack of sunshine here in the winter months, when we do get the sun, we're too bundled up from the sub zero temperatures.

Because our medical is government paid for, they will want us to stay healthy, when we get ill and have to miss work or get hospital care, it costs our government more than the individual.
When the US was pushing the flu shots, my doctor was not, he instead said "wash often, take your vitamin D"

Taking iron was particularly problematic: the more iron the women took, the higher their risk of death.

The above text I already knew about, iron overload can cause many health problems, anyone taking iron should get their levels checked first to see if a supplement is necessary. It's almost safer to have too little iron than too much.

People need to research the vitamins they wish to take, some you don't want to have too much in your system.
I've also heard that if taking calcium supplements, people need the vitamin D, and magnesium to move the calcium to the proper places in your body, or it could calcify around the heart. This was only with the supplements, not the natural ways of getting it, and could be that they were pushing the calcium so much that people are overdosing. Also helpful with the calcium getting to your bones is to eat lots of leafy greens.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I have had rheumatoid arthritis since 1999. I take no prescription medication for it. I used to, until I realized that those pharmaceuticals were killing my immune system and leaving me heavily addicted to opiate pain medication. On top of that, their recommended treatment still left me unable to function like a normal human being.

Over the years I have developed a vitamin and herb regime which has arrested the deformation and deterioration of my joints, stopped the constant fatigue and pain, and allowed me to live a semi-normal life, where most days I can actually forget that I have RA.

Now TPTB want to take away my ability to do this. I have no health insurance. I couldn't possibly afford buying these supplements if Big Pharma gets their way and makes them a prescription-only "drug" with hugely inflated prices.

I have been watching their carefully contrived PR campaign against vitamins and supplements for some time now. They don't care about my health, or yours. It's all about the money, honey.

In my mind, they are trying to doom me to a life of disability and pain, unless I can pay their exorbitant prices for something that should be available without their greedy interference. They are declaring war on me. I don't plan on going down without a fight.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I wonder if they looked at any other factors that could have killed them or if they just saw the one thing and ran with it? Isn't that the age at which most people begin to die anyway?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I personally don't see how anyone could abuse things such as vitamin C or calcium. I'm sure anything can be harmful in large enough doses, but when is the last time you ever heard of anyone overdosing on vitamin C?

Calcium must be taken with other things to get to your bones, see my above post.

Vitamin C - if your taking more than your body wants, you will pee out the excess, and get diarrhea. If getting "loose poop", back it off a bit, to get the body used to the dosage. The best way to get lots of vitamin c is to take little doses (well not too little, 500 mgs) throughout the day, because your body excretes it so fast.

I've always taken lots of vitamins, but researched what does what. I also still look younger than my husband, who is 10 years younger than me. I used to megadose some vitamins, but that was pricey, now I just take vitamin d, c, co q 10, and omega 3 oils regularly, and have ginseng handy in case I get a cold (rare), and vitamin b complex in case I get moody.....

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I seldom take a multi vit unless I am with child, otherwise I just take a one a day of things I think I need, like Vitamin D one week a month and Iron. Maybe this study hasn't actually taken us stereotypical translucent sun dodging goth anemic's into account.

Overdosing on Vitamin C will only make you feel extremely hot and give you the squits. My husband sometimes has to take a mega amount of Vit C and a tab of Lycine if he feels a coldsore coming on. The combination kills them before they get a proper hold.

It's true though that many people DO overdose on vits. They take their one a day religiously but also go mad with others. Folic acid as far as I am aware, can mask serious B deficiencies.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I just noticed something else about the study.

The last line of the results shows:

or mortality (HR, 1.02, and 95% CI, 0.97-1.07).

This says that the hazard risk of mortality was 1.02 (increase of 2 % of the risk), however....and this is important...in statistics the hazard risk is not just one number. It is a range of numbers. The confidence interval is 0.97 to 1.07 at 95 % confidence.

That means that the true risk of mortality from taking vitamins may be 3 % below people who don't take vitamins or 7 % greater than people who take vitamins and this answer is correct 95 % of the time.

But the real story is that the statistics in such studies are normally done to a 98 % confidence interval.

Further, observational studies cannot by themselves provide definitive answers. The purpose of these types of studies is to highlight areas that may be of interest to scientific enquiry. In order for an observational study of this nature to be taken seriously - there would have to be at least 200 % increase in the HR, better to be 300 % and even better at 400 %.

The statistics published in this study have been seriously played with and manipulated to provide an "appearance" that there is an increased risk of mortality (death).

Junk science at its finest!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The Yahoo news story about this did not include the ages of the women. Suppose though, 19 years ago when they studied the 69 year old women, they would be about 88 or 89 now and maybe they died of age related illnesses. They did not say which percentage of the women were younger.

I think if you take vitamins that have been expired for a long time some of those become dangerous. I think this study is really vague and within each study there is a control group and a group that does not include being given what they are studying the effects of. So that would mean there was a group of women studied that did not get vitamins, that seems very wrong to do if we need vitamins.

This isn't a very good study, the results are too vague.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is the published conclusion of the study

"Conclusion After a median follow-up of 8.0 and 7.9 years in the clinical trial and observational study cohorts, respectively, the Women's Health Initiative study provided convincing evidence that multivitamin use has little or no influence on the risk of common cancers, CVD, or total mortality in postmenopausal women."

Compare that conclusion ("little or no influence on the risk of .....mortality") to the newspaper article.

That tells the whole story!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I also have studied the pros and cons of taking vitamins. I have come to realize the only negative aspect is the cost. I can feel the difference if I don't take my vitamins. And I know it's not the placebo effect. I take a well known all natural multi-V, N-Acetyl, fish oil, and vitamin D daily. I also maintain a Healy diet. It bothers me that it is usually tax payer money that funds these studies by the way of government grants. I am also worried that people will fall for this propaganda. I am also Canadian and hope we cause more of a fuss than the Europeans did if they try and take away our vitamins.

You also made a good point about our government funded health care, so I do hope it is their intention to allow us to remain healthy.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I have had rheumatoid arthritis since 1999. I take no prescription medication for it. I used to, until I realized that those pharmaceuticals were killing my immune system and leaving me heavily addicted to opiate pain medication. On top of that, their recommended treatment still left me unable to function like a normal human being.

Over the years I have developed a vitamin and herb regime which has arrested the deformation and deterioration of my joints, stopped the constant fatigue and pain, and allowed me to live a semi-normal life, where most days I can actually forget that I have RA.

Now TPTB want to take away my ability to do this. I have no health insurance. I couldn't possibly afford buying these supplements if Big Pharma gets their way and makes them a prescription-only "drug" with hugely inflated prices.

I have been watching their carefully contrived PR campaign against vitamins and supplements for some time now. They don't care about my health, or yours. It's all about the money, honey.

In my mind, they are trying to doom me to a life of disability and pain, unless I can pay their exorbitant prices for something that should be available without their greedy interference. They are declaring war on me. I don't plan on going down without a fight.

Are you taking fenugreek for the arthritis? I hear it has beneficial effects.
However, I made the grave mistake of making tea purely from the seeds to boost my milk supply as it's also a galactagogue and ended up smelling like curry constantly until a week after I stopped drinking it.

Worked a treat for the milk supply, but I made everyone around me feel hungry.
edit on 11-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Actually if you eat right you shouldn't need Calcium. Diets heavy in animal protein tend to rob the body of calcium and most green leaf veggies are packed with the stuff. As for vitamin D,about 20 mintues a day of sunbathing should fix that for most older, white ladies. If you are darker you will need more time.

See, just saved ya some money =)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I seldom take a multi vit unless I am with child, otherwise I just take a one a day of things I think I need, like Vitamin D one week a month and Iron. Maybe this study hasn't actually taken us stereotypical translucent sun dodging goth anemic's into account.

Overdosing on Vitamin C will only make you feel extremely hot and give you the squits. My husband sometimes has to take a mega amount of Vit C and a tab of Lycine if he feels a coldsore coming on. The combination kills them before they get a proper hold.

It's true though that many people DO overdose on vits. They take their one a day religiously but also go mad with others. Folic acid as far as I am aware, can mask serious B deficiencies.

Suspira, you have the knack for making me laugh every time I read your posts.

I am one of those people who takes a multivitamin, but forget to sometimes for almost a week. I have the bottle sitting in a very noticeable place, right next to my drinking glasses. I think I took one this morning. I do know this though, because I have MS I take Vitamin B and it works for me, I have noticed a difference from taking it. But that being said, because it works for me does not mean it works for everyone. Aspirin is the same way, it works for some and not others.

Before people take anything they need to research what they are taking. I remember when people were recommended St. John's Wort, but it really hurt a lot of people. And many times people don't know interactions of medication with such things. I know that Gingko Biloba and aspirin cannot be taken together, those are both blood thinners. I did not know this and found out in very interesting ways when I started having very strange thoughts. After I stopped taking them together I was alright again.

So WarminIndy's advice for the day, do not take Gingko Biloba and aspirin together. They both are blood thinners and you will have crazy thoughts all day.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Thanks for the info

Luckily, I have a high calcium diet that does not require me to take a calcium supplement. My multi-V contains calcium just in case though. I sure would love to save some money either way though. Any other hints?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join