It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI to launch nationwide facial recognition service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

FBI to launch nationwide facial recognition service

www.nextgov.com

The FBI by mid-January will activate a nationwide facial recognition service in select states that will allow local police to identify unknown subjects in photos

The federal government is embarking on a multiyear, $1 billion dollar overhaul of the FBI's existing fingerprint database

Thomas E. Bush III, who helped develop NGI's system requirements when he served as assistant director of the CJIS division between 2005 and 2009, said, "The idea was to be able to plug and play with these identifi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Soon everyone will have to take a picture of themselves and be added to this database

And i'm sure the FBI will be using Facebook's Facial Recognition API to help them out as well, so the majority of people are already on file.

If you take a picture of yourself and facebook adds you to their facial recognition API is that part of their T&Cs?
Shouldn't you havet o agree to that?

Anyhow.... so it starts!

www.nextgov.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well thanks a lot FBI for your service to humanity.

I feel so much safer now knowing that the police have complete and total control over every aspect of my life.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I honestly wish I could use more colourful language on this forum, just for times like this.
DAMN. Looks like we are getting close to that totalitarian state of control.. I honestly don't know what to say, this has really got me quite anxious. I look at the next few years and I see.. well I see....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Soon everyone will have to take a picture of themselves and be added to this database

You mean like a gov't ID, say a "driver's license"? Already got us in their databases, but Facebook, that's just doing it for them. I say let them work for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I have enjoyed my anonymity on the Internet - and am beginning to recognize that it's long past gone. ...Always knew the alphabet guys could track and ID, but still, I wanted that sense of anon. At least with "the public" and marketers.

RIP

Good catch. S&F&

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
After reading the article...the way I am understanding this is.....the FBI will have a picture of someone...they don't know their name....this new system...will help to match the unknown person...to what their name is. The FBI will then be able to identify faster the criminal they are looking for.

So....I figure it this way....if you are not doing anything wrong...you have nothing to worry about!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So , lets look at the current protests in New York and other places around the US. Huge volumes of people , thronging through the streets, and some will be identified ( often spuriously and without any justifiable reason) as trouble makers, and be logged as such, so that when they travel with the intent of protesting (which is not illegal, and therefore should not factor into considerations over wether to intervene in a persons movements) they are tracked, unfairly , and made the focus of an anti crime drive.

I think there should be a stipulation, at least a lip service to freedom of expression here, in the shape of an amendment to the terms of use of such a service. For a start , no one who could be accused of a political crime should be tracked with this tech. It should not be possible for a government, or any organ in its body, to track a political activist around a nation. Only those who could be convicted of a finanically, or psychologically motivated crime, such as theft or rape/murder ought to be allowed to be tracked using such a service. The innocent must not only be free of speech and movement, but be free to move without scrutiny UNTIL or UNLESS they commit a serious crime. There must never be a nineteen eighty four in its worst possible way, never.

Too many have already died for the freedom of the free world, to allow one of its greatest bastions to become rampant with paranoia , behaving like a dictatorship.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

If you are doing nothing wrong, they shouldnt have a record of your face. Its a little bit much that they are allowed access to your birth records and the fact you even EXIST unless you have committed a crime, let alone having your likeness, so that they can pounce on you the moment you make a step in the wrong direction.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

So....I figure it this way....if you are not doing anything wrong...you have nothing to worry about!

That's how the Jews thought before the Nazis invented reasons to arrest them. If you let this stuff go, because "you aren't doing anything wrong", then you give them the opportunity to invent something you are doing to be illegal. New laws are always invented, how many laws are taken back and made legal from illegal? There's too much money in keeping normal human activity illegal.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Welcome to Kafka, Jack London, Capek, Orwell, Dick, Bulgakov, Bradbury, Huxley... World.

At least, this might spur some lazy buts to start educating themselves in order to defend their freedom.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Haha... Hello FBI, let me introduce you to my friend facebook.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

If you have a driver's license you're already in it.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This one if for you FBI and I hope you are reading, first I give you the finger then I will tell you to take your facebook and shove it in your rear end. Thanks you.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
DAMN.
Maybe the title of the book should have been titled 2012 instead of 1984.

So they got the date wrong, but got a lot of other stuff right.

There's a scene in the movie (based in the future) called "The Fifth Element", where a woman comes to Earth from somewhere else.

They scan her face, and check it against the database, and find she's not in it, and they are completely shocked. Apparently that scenario where it would be shocking to find someone not in the database is not so far into the future, it's already begun.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
hey folks, they already have your FACE---from the REAL ID act implemented from the feds to the state level with drivers licenses

i know..because i was forced to take off my glasses a few years ago for my license when in reality i can't drive without them and never take them off

why was it done? to get your face in their database with no glasses blocking the view they need

if indeed this is about to be launched..things might be close to pre crime and the big brother state/checkpoints, etc

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What happens if you gain 20 lbs?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
What happens if you gain 20 lbs?

Facial recognition system

In addition to being used for security systems, authorities have found a number of other applications for facial recognition systems. While earlier post 9/11 deployments were well publicized trials, more recent deployments are rarely written about due to their covert nature.
Unfortunately, if I told you how the latest covert systems deal with that, I'd have to kill you.

Seriously though, I don't think they are 100% perfect at recognizing faces even if you don't gain anything. The weight gain issue will just lower the accuracy from whatever it is, to something lower.

But they are getting better and better every year. At some point they may approach 100% accuracy and be able to deal with the weight gain. The 5 typical areas of the face referenced are eyes, forehead, nose, mouth, and jaw, and weight gain would have the most effect on the last one. The other 4 wouldn't be affected very much, so it should still be able to work based on the first 4 even if you gain 20 pounds, and it probably will at some point if it doesn't already.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

It can completely throw the system off. Where I live they use the facial recognition on driver's license pictures. The guy at the DMV had to over ride the system. I lost 30 pounds and the system said I wasn't me.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

That's how the Jews thought before the Nazis invented reasons to arrest them

Yes, people are such idiots. We've already had us citizens jailed indefinitely and apparently even sent to other countries to be tortured, but we're supposed to trust that they will never abuse this system??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join