It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Oh, they're coming! The big one is "Quinn." He is a super-hero in training.

"Mighty Quinn" part doesn't start until 1:50. Whole Movie and original Manfred Mann song is awesome though.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by graceunderpressure

So, the kids were walking through Books-A-Million, and they scream! They say, "It's the monkey from the internet." I had no idea what they were talking about, so we turn around and go back, and........................ Here ya go!!!! Grace's avatar in the flesh. And it didn't taste like chicken, LOL!

OMG, that's AWESOME!!! Tell your beautiful kids that the Internet Monkey says, "Hello."

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

AHAHHhhHHHHAAAA

My wife finally picked out the best tough guy actor for me!!

Eric Bana

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think I could beat him up, he doesn't look so tough.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Wait... He died, right?

*Kidding, Bana is great. hehe

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
as one Mexican said to another in THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, "we don't want the man who is all scarred up, we want the man who GAVE him those scars". :-)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Wait... He died, right?

*Kidding, Bana is great. hehe

Well sure, but it took a 1/2 God to kill him.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

True getreadyalready; I wasn't thinking in the box about usage of calories and the rations we would be surviving on, I got carried away with the thread as it has been funny & an eye opener

Seriously though we would have to have some of us in peak physical condition. We hunt better & function better too, I suppose the hunting parties, security patrols, scavenging and sentries would be able to maintain optimum fitness and I think I would qualify for most of those duties; "aye I make a fine scavenger do I, it's that pirate blood that be in me agggghh agggggghhh agggghhhhaaaa"

I like the idea that it would be like rewinding a couple of hundred years though, things then were a lot more simpler & less confused. Fair enough sanitation would be at a price but this is a post apocalypse world we are surviving in. We would have to move about, manage crops, trade, discover things and as Nathanel sang on the War of the Worlds L.P "we'll start all over aggggggggain"

If this was a nano type plague or zombie/alien/invasion menace then things would have to be on a much tighter & organized level. With some of the people that are in our community we would surely survive no...having looked through the pages & over our joint credentials we have an A* squad of survivors here.

By the way Ellora knows the 36 of our 108 points to heart, she is ten and kicks ass. She would like to be like Beatrice Kiddo when she grows up but without having had to go through any of the bad stuff. I'd never shoot her Mom though so she doesn't need to be worried about any of that, less her Mom became a zombie/infected/whatever because then I'd happily spit a piece of Mr 38's lead through her cranium

:Off topic post: The story thread has taken some reading, respects to the OP's for their work on it, descriptive...maybe a little too much in places though

edit on 12/10/2011 by theguygeeza because: spelling mistakes

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theguygeeza
The story thread has taken some reading, respects to the OP's for their work on it, descriptive...maybe a little too much in places though

So you think I should tone it down for the next installment at the Ranch House? I had a real doozie being worked out in my head before writing it, and hadn't committed it to electrons yet.

I thought I was holding back already!

Sometimes, it gets ugly. That's the reality of it. I mean, this thread has been fun, and we've gotten some good points across in a joking manner, I believe, but just like mom used to tell me all the time, "it's all fun and games until someone puts an entire civilization out".

For the next installment at the ranch House, the heads on pikes wasn't going to be the grisly part. With that in mind, perhaps I ought not to mention what the grisly part was going to be... I'll say this much - it would sure as shootin' keep MY nerves jangled up if I woke up and saw it! That's really the whole point of what Walt is up to - he's keeping the Raiders on edge, their nerves shot, so that they can't effectively fight back, and may make stupid mistakes instead, out of fear, because fear will do funny things to a person.

Walt is getting them one at a time - some times in batches over a couple of hours, but one at a time all the same.

Oh, and I decided the Compound didn't have the explosives necessary to crater the road to block passage, so I had another trick up my sleeve for that one...

I've tried to salt in some information into my posts there, while keeping them somewhere near the edge of entertaining. You think maybe I ought to pull back on the gore descriptions, or what?

Believe it or not, I HAVE been holding back (particularly at the throat-cutting - you really don't want to know what that sounds like), but the reality of what some folks may have to do to survive sort of calls for at least SOME idea of what it will entail, and some of the gore is a part of that. Anything less will leave people with a false notion of rainbows and unicorns. It ain't pretty some times.

Most of the initial posts I made were along the lines of "teasers" at the beginning of a book - something to grab the attention. Not all of them are going to be like that, and some will likely be downright mundane and boring, but mundane and boring is part of the package. it's not all - or even mostly - endless sword fights leading to a seat in Valhalla.

One idea I've been working around is a fairly serious injury to Walt while he's out by himself. Stuff happens, and injuries do, too. As a teaser, I'll just say here that yes, I HAVE thrown my own stitches before, and it's not even a little bit fun!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by theguygeeza

:Off topic post: The story thread has taken some reading, respects to the OP's for their work on it, descriptive...maybe a little too much in places though

It has not been (IMHO) too descriptive, It's a story and that is what writing is about - painting a picture for the audience. Perhaps you might enjoy perusing the Writer's forum a bit more, get a feel for it, read some of the projects. There are a lot of really good collaborative projects, consider joining one, it's fun once the story gets going...
edit on 12-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I dunno, I didn't take it so much as a critique as I did an expression of discomfort at something he read there. I'm not sure exactly what, but I took it to probably be the gorier parts, since that is what would discomfort most folks.

It may, however, have been the scene involving Products Which Shall No Longer Be Mentioned In This Thread at the OP's request. Writing that made ME uncomfortable!

In all honesty, I'd like to see him write in that thread. Everyone has ideas, and other folks would come up with things I never thought of - which is what the collaborative part is all about.

It's starting to sound sort of like an echo chamber in that thread.

I noticed YOU have "writer" under your handle over there....

Seriously, this little community has grown to the point that no one could keep all of this straight in one head to write about, but I'm convinced it'll make a heck of a story!

edit on 2011/10/12 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I noticed YOU have "writer" under your handle over there....

I was sorta hoping the Zombie story would come back to life!

(get it, hehe) ...

Ah well, re-work a few of the posts I've already written and I might have a good head start on the SHTF story, maybe I will try to do that in the next day or two...
edit on 12-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
OFF TOPIC POST...in 3. 2. 1.....

To all of you writers out there come join the story that spawned off of this thread, we still have many many roles that need filled in the camp, maybe other lone wolf types and even raiders if you so wish. Get your imagination in gear and help make this one epic story.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Hello nenothtu & fellow survivors, you have been bang on target so far with the thread, I have read it as it is supposed to be read and admired yours & the OP's style. I should not have edited my post as I originally wrote how I am enjoying it but am not sure I am capable of contributing sufficiently just yet. It is descriptive, deep, up tempo, well thought out and all kinds of other great things, I also agree that many everyday household items can be used for all kinds of things in a SHTF scenario including plugging, gluing & stitching yourself back together. Yes it did make me dread the fact that my daughter will be getting to that age in another three years but hey I got over it.

These threads are enjoyable and educative/informative also, to me that is the right combination.

I would write more and maybe have a page on the storyboard but it is 5:30 in the morning now and I am just going to be able to find out what Walt does next before I fall asleep sat here & knock the candle off that has burnt besides me since returning home from a late night out under the moon. When my mind is in hibernate mode I shall try to think up something benificial to contribute to these thread as I will be dropping by again late tomorrow evening I'm sure. No soaps, T.V, crumpets & supper for this fella it is either read a book, continue writing my book or spend a couple of hours on our site.

May peace be with us all

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave
Oh wait, wait, wait... I have another reason to let me in...
I have a signed permission slip from my mommy

Dude got Banned !!! By Grampa Dave !!!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by theguygeeza

No problem. I wasn't offended or anything. It helps to know where improvement is needed - that only makes the story better. I'd be proud to have you U2U me with what you though to be perhaps too much detail. Whether it's too grisly, too embarrassing, or just too tedious in detail, I'd like to know where you think improvements need to be tweaked. It's all about the story, and how to make it better, not about me and my ego.

I've read some stuff in this genre that goes into way too much tedious detail - "Bill lifted his shiny M16A2 with 3 round burst, a tripod, and M203 grenade launcher and an AN/PVS-4 Starlight Scope and blew the bejesus out of the bad guys" is just awkward as compared too "Bill blew the bejesus out of the bad guys with his M16".

For some odd reason, "survivalist" literature runs into way too much of that sort of technical detail. In my mind, it ain't what you've got, it's how you put it to work that's the meat of the matter. The details that are necessary can be filled in on the fly as you go, here and there, rather than try to choke folks to death with it all in one gob.

I'd hate to be guilty of that and have folks not have the heart to tell me, trying to spare my little old feelings!

edit on 2011/10/13 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

If you use almost dry sand and cover the sand with damp burlap, changed about once a week, potatoes and carrots will stay crisp for longer.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Could the all important cellar be back in style? OMG! I love the cellar. Always the right temperature.

I wouldn't own a house without one, it's the best place to store root veggies, as well as apples, canned goods, and potent potables.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Was this SHTF scenario based on before or after the second asteroid hit earth? From what we can tell the joint missions of the worlds space programs were successful in breaking up the huge asteroids but we were still hit by at least two chunks. I still can't believe they didn't even tell us what was going on, no one even had the chance to prepare. It looks like to me that when some of the asteroids hit the sun we started having huge coronal mass ejections and the resulting geomagnetic storms caused alot of activity in the pacific ring of fire area. Once the plates started to shift from the geomagnetic storms and the impacts there were so many earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis we didn't think we were going to make it ourselves. After the earths poles reversed, so many areas became completely submerged for over 60 days we weren't sure anyone else had survived. All I can tell you is that so far we found most survivors in the cascade islands. In the new south western area of what we're calling "AmeriCanada" there was less flooding for some reason and we've heard spotty communications on the radio about whats left of the US government re-organizing there. Given that so many of the Nuclear reactors melted down the rain isn't safe to drink, so I wouldn't drink anything other than your well water. We don't have any potassium iodide left or I'd leave you some. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on there, we're just glad to see so many of you survived. Well, hope the wood gasifier holds out. We're heading out to look for more survivors. We'll be back this way as soon as we can and will try to bring as many supplies as possible. By the way, nice jeep, you know thats a collectors item now.
edit on 13-10-2011 by CaptainKostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
any way , getting back to - what whould we do - ....... i would say "well, good luck with that", and keep walking in search of a river for water to boil
..... You can guarantee that living as a group , a small society , would cause trouble within (who`s in charge, mutiny , yada yada) , plus, you can guarantee , the military will be looking for survivors to kill, and a big old compound full of nutjobs with guns and alcohol is gonna make their day...... BUT, if it WASNT, an NWO, situation, then there`d be someone wanting to get in for your food / water / weapons and women , so no ........ no thanky ...... its waaaaay too soon to be thinking like that , you need to live in small groups for a long time when it hits the fan, in sensible places - like , near a river , with foliage and cliff faces , you need a cave because shelters are too much hassle, and building them will damage the area your gonna call home for the rest of your sanity... aslong as theres trees around , theres food somewhere .... using the river as a guide you can travel and scout your area for food/supplies/survivors .... and never , NEVER, let your fire burn high, keep it low, you want heat, not light and smoke, you could be attracting unwanted attention....(you know , like a great big plucking fenced compoud ...
) Everyone needs a crash course in what you can and cant forage , and yall need to learn how to clean, sterilise, and stitch a wound.
Dont forget to add alot of needles and thread to your bug out pack - and i mean ALOT (there`s always room), you might end up injured , or someone you travel with / come across, could be. Try to start repopulation early and dont teach religion to the kids whatever you do
we`ve seen what it does to man .......... and for fcuk sake , this time around ..... lets not invent the wheel

I know i sound crazy , but still, ive been up all night on Red River , and i was sorta caught off guard with this thread
..... i`ll know what i`m on about when ive had some sleep

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join