It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I'm a civil engineer who can design and make things.
I'm an experienced Gardener / farmer.
I make wine as a hobby.... Find me some grapes.

Why grapes, what about berries, cherries, or dandelions?
You can make wine from a heck of a lot more then just grapes.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by MikeZutch

I disagree, I've seen it happen at about a 50% chance. It could also depend on your skin thickness and texture, and how fast you are to swat it, because everyone swats the thing that stung them.

Not true, I have been both bee and wasp stung without swatting, and I regularly open hand knock them out of the air on my back porch.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

A small society that has been forced back to the basics will naturally come into a balance with the replenishment of resources, or it will fail.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

That's why the community pitches in on all tasks that may be too large for just one or two people.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
We need a blacksmithy...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by nenothtu

What fictional character would you like to see in the stockade with you?

Well, first I thought Captain Jack Sparrow, without a doubt, as that bugger seems to be able to survive anything, savvy?
Yet, Van Helsing ala Hugh Jackman would be nice as well, or perhaps even Rick Deckard aka Blade Runner Harrison Ford? Can I have all three?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IslandGirl

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

What fictional character would you like to see in the stockade with you?

Well, first I thought Captain Jack Sparrow, without a doubt, as that bugger seems to be able to survive anything, savvy?
Yet, Van Helsing ala Hugh Jackman would be nice as well, or perhaps even Rick Deckard aka Blade Runner Harrison Ford? Can I have all three?

Sounds like a *********fest to mne

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Keeping it alive? Funny, this thread took on a life of its own a while ago. I now know how Dr. Frankenstein must have felt.

'Glad to have the lot of you in the compound. You sound like a fun group.

What good is sure and sudden death if you can't have a little fun with it before you check out?

If you can't laugh at dying, you're probably living all wrong...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by spw184
Grace, this is 100% offtopic, but will you be bringing your avatar to our colony?

Hmm...I'm not so sure. My little Phillipine Tarsier freaks some people out. One guy even had nightmares over him. And then, there are certainly those who would jump at the chance to grill him and eat him. If I do bring him along, I'm concealing him in a hidden pocket.

Grill him and eat him? Why, who would do that?

Stay outta my head! It's dark and scary in there, and there are cobwebs!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by gamesmaster63

In my experience everywhere has at least one thing to worry about. I grew up in the mountains, next to a river that was about 20 feet wide. At least once a summer we had a "gully washer" that made that little river get 80-100 feet wide. It would destroy things pretty badly. Rarely did anyone ever have problems, because the river flooding was a fact of life.

Not to mention the REALLY big ones every 10 or 20 years. I've seen the Clinch gain 22 feet in a matter of 3 or 4 hours, going from 5 or 6 feet deep to near 30 just that quick. That don't sound like much, but when you figure all that is squeezed between two steep mountains or cliffs, that's a LOT of pressure to contend with!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gamesmaster63

That's actually very common in people that react well in the initial emergency, these are the same people that you see crying or puking just before the fight where they kick the other person's ##s in 10 seconds flat, then they just shake for awhile.

I'm also one of them. I don't usually cry and curl up, but the shakes are terrible.

Yeah, they ARE terrible. I have to force myself not to talk, because saying something stupid shakily just sound an awful lot like hysteria.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yea, our river was 80 feet wide at one point, and an old lady that was about 87ish said that when she was a little girl the river came all the way up to a certain tree, that was sitting in 5 feet of water at that point. It was the flood of the century there.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

lol, probably not, i'm only 24, just grew up poor, you learn how to do alot when you need to do it to eat.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

lol, that think is either too cute or to creepy to eat, i cant decide.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

I know.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

I know one, she's a good one too. She has worked at historic places doing standard stuff for tourists and light projects for the community.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
artist, psychologist and philosopher here ! I can offer cultural and philosophical development, i can also offer a means to truly explore the mind and all its potential, to help develop a 'free thinking' and 'knowledge sharing' society, something that is strictly forbidden in our current system.

My knowledge of psychology is expansive and all encompassing, i would encourage a Freudian / Jungian approach to life, meaning i would encourage spiritual development and the confrontation of our fears / shames instead of the repression of such issues

Art is an invaluable tool for instilling higher thought processes and intellectual development, something im sure you would want to incorporate into your new system

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthIncarnate
artist, psychologist and philosopher here ! I can offer cultural and philosophical development, i can also offer a means to truly explore the mind and all its potential, to help develop a 'free thinking' and 'knowledge sharing' society, something that is strictly forbidden in our current system.

My knowledge of psychology is expansive and all encompassing, i would encourage a Freudian / Jungian approach to life, meaning i would encourage spiritual development and the confrontation of our fears / shames instead of the repression of such issues

Art is an invaluable tool for instilling higher thought processes and intellectual development, something im sure you would want to incorporate into your new system

I dont think art is needed in a SHTF situation, but in THIS colony, we accept everyone.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

graceunderpressure, thank you for allowing us into the compound. We would never allow your beloved pet to be taken from you as I hope you would not allow Freud to be taken from us. Beatrice hates people who are abusive towards animals as do I.

Having shared my tobacco & fag supplies we kept knowing they would be good currency in a time like this, having helped the wounded with our medical supplies & soothed the confused playing my horn whilst Beatrice sang some classic Satchmo we have talked between ourselves and decided that a lot of people in the compound are unhealthy.

Therefore we ask that all those who aren't on duty in whichever line of work they are here to contribute towards be allowed & encouraged to take part in our fitness regime.

The regime consists of a circuit called The Dirty Dozen four times a week;

Two laps around the compound
stretch off's
The weight suited to the individual is found & then;
12 power cleans
12 squats
12 curls
12 dead-lifts
12 upright-rows
12 military-press
12 shoulder-press
12 lent over rows
12 press-ups
12 sit-ups
12 dorsal raises
12 squat thrusts
Then a lap around the compound after each completion of the circuit, this is repeated 3 times and then stretch downs are done.

We think that this will help some of the lazy, drunken and dazed individuals find better health, motivation & will help get them focused. A bunch of unhealthy and unmotivated people in our community is not what we need as it will only lead to trouble.

Beatrice & I have found other dogs in the compound that would be suitable for pupping with our dog. Freud comes from a lineage of dog that was used in farms around our area to bring sheep & small cattle down with its paws & claws, never once biting them. We also ask that we be allowed to set up a breeding and training program with other owners of useful dogs.

Our daughter, having been taught assassination skills by her biological father Bill has asked that she be allowed to find suitable candidates for training with herself after school time. We will present her purposed training regime to you for you to asses and to discuss with other parents.

Life in your compound is a lot better than out on the road and we see the potential here now, there are people from all aspects of life with multi benefits. We are proud to be members of this society but wonder, do we have an official name yet ? If not what are yours & other residents ideas on a name for us please.

Peace & love to all

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Oh, I think you will let me in.............................

edit on 12/10/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/10/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join