It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh wait, wait, wait... I have another reason to let me in...
I have a signed permission slip from my mommy

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That was the way my tribe lived back in the day - sort of. They'd come together in the villages as a community during the spring and summer, for planting and harvest, then the ones who could would disperse out into the woods as smaller group camps for hunting and foraging in the winter. That left a "skeleton crew" in the villages who did their part maintaining and guarding what stores had to be left there and the village itself.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave

I don't know... you sound a little too put together for this ragtag group.

I mean, you still have paper...

AND a mommy!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Who is lostsock?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

She's the TN gal who knows how to make cornbread in an iron skillet, and knows what a "grampus" is.

I'm starting to feel awful lonesome over in the Story Thread that was inspired by this one and spun off of it. I've got 5 posts in it, 4 of them in an unbroken string, and I'm starting to hear an echo in there every time I drop another one in.

Where are the rest of the writers over there? There's some thoroughly creative folk in here who could make my posts not sound so stupid by putting entertainment in between them!

The back-room discussion thread where all the coordination and idea tossing can go on is here.

Bring your own cigars to add to the smoke-filled atmosphere!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
why should I risk having them beside me? I 've got my own stuff. I'm not risking somebody being upset about having to pull guard duty, discipline his kids, do without sex, put his injured/ill kid out of his misery, etc, being where I have to let him be on my blind side.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

WHy cant I star this ;-;

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthIncarnate
artist, psychologist and philosopher here ! I can offer cultural and philosophical development, i can also offer a means to truly explore the mind and all its potential, to help develop a 'free thinking' and 'knowledge sharing' society, something that is strictly forbidden in our current system.

My knowledge of psychology is expansive and all encompassing, i would encourage a Freudian / Jungian approach to life, meaning i would encourage spiritual development and the confrontation of our fears / shames instead of the repression of such issues

Art is an invaluable tool for instilling higher thought processes and intellectual development, something im sure you would want to incorporate into your new system

All of that sounds really great...if our brains are not eaten by the zombies first.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by TruthIncarnate
artist, psychologist and philosopher here ! I can offer cultural and philosophical development, i can also offer a means to truly explore the mind and all its potential, to help develop a 'free thinking' and 'knowledge sharing' society, something that is strictly forbidden in our current system.

My knowledge of psychology is expansive and all encompassing, i would encourage a Freudian / Jungian approach to life, meaning i would encourage spiritual development and the confrontation of our fears / shames instead of the repression of such issues

Art is an invaluable tool for instilling higher thought processes and intellectual development, something im sure you would want to incorporate into your new system

All of that sounds really great...if our brains are not eaten by the zombies first.

pfft we all know zombies dunt exist, its common knowledge that the world is going to end when nyan cat finaly reaches the end of his song.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theguygeeza
reply to post by graceunderpressure

...whilst Beatrice sang some classic Satchmo we have talked between ourselves and decided that a lot of people in the compound are unhealthy.

Therefore we ask that all those who aren't on duty in whichever line of work they are here to contribute towards be allowed & encouraged to take part in our fitness regime...

We are proud to be members of this society but wonder, do we have an official name yet ? If not what are yours & other residents ideas on a name for us please.

Keeping in mind that this crowd is heavily focused on producing beer and wine, I'm not too surprised at the stony silence in reply to a suggested fitness routine. I think most of our men believe that chasing women and picking up the carcasses of animals they've shot is sufficient. Sigh. What can one do about basic human nature?

As for a name...anyone?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IslandGirl
Wondering if this is a safe enviro for my two daughters.. hmmm. May have to watch from afar for a bit first.

Very wise, my friend!

And, no one has said very much about language skills but I think they would be very important.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

No, we are not letting in any slot machines!

Yeah, what he said! Never had much luck with the slots myself. All take, no give.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BarmyBilly
I'm a good writer and storyteller.

Would i get in?

As long as your writings do not consist only of your own memoirs and your storytelling isn't a balanced budget.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I think this thread has possibly hit upon a best possible survival scenario.

A well placed compound, with an outward appearance of being heavily defended, but inside are sparse supplies and occupants. The real community lives in smaller, migratory groups outside the compound and they observe and lie in wait. Legitimate traders or refugees are given opportunities to trade or join any of the groups, while marauders and bandits are lured in, ambushed and disposed of. Agriculture is accomplished by intelligent foraging. We plant native plants in clumps and groups and then migrate according to the weather and the wildlife. We hit each area at the appropriate harvest time to collect our resources and prepare the plot for the next growing or hunting season.

Since there will always be competing personalities and leadership roles, the multi-pronged groups can live in peace without the drama and political turmoil apparent in a single large group.

Just like the Native Americans, each of our small units can be part of a collective tribe, and we can hold periodic meetings in the compound. The groups can intermarry/interbreed to ensure sufficient DNA pools and no incest.

Everyone's differing skill levels are optimally utilized, whether it be story telling or lone-wolf scouts. They are part of the overall collective, but the play their own chosen role.

It seems to me, just the few dozen people on this thread could easily occupy, defend, and thrive on several hundred acres, and likely reach out to other groups. As long as we stayed lean and mean and skeptical of outsiders, we would likely thrive!

Freakin' brilliant, GetReady! The compound is just a front for all the activity going on behind it. Since we're looking for a name, how about "The US Government? "
Kidding. But I do like the idea.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mantarey
I have worked in construction and know some electronics and how to make my own soap.

Soap? Did you say soap? Oh please, please do come in! We've been here a few days now and some of these folks are getting ripe!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

WHy cant I star this ;-;

It looks like GrandpaDave got banned. Probably because it was a duplicate account, where DaddyBare was changing his screen name. He'll probably get it sorted out shortly. I'm guessing he's prefer having the old account deactivated instead of the new one, since it was a name change, rather than a sock puppet sort of thing.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

So, the kids were walking through Books-A-Million, and they scream! They say, "It's the monkey from the internet." I had no idea what they were talking about, so we turn around and go back, and........................ Here ya go!!!! Grace's avatar in the flesh. And it didn't taste like chicken, LOL!

edit on 12-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

pfft we all know zombies dunt exist, its common knowledge that the world is going to end when nyan cat finaly reaches the end of his song.

Don't look now, but I think the zombies just ate nyan cat's brains...

edit on 2011/10/12 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Keeping in mind that this crowd is heavily focused on producing beer and wine, I'm not too surprised at the stony silence in reply to a suggested fitness routine. I think most of our men believe that chasing women and picking up the carcasses of animals they've shot is sufficient. Sigh. What can one do about basic human nature?

As for a name...anyone?

"Dew Drop Inn" seems to have a nice ring to it, and appears applicable....

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

So, the kids were walking through Books-A-Million, and they scream! They say, "It's the monkey from the internet." I had no idea what they were talking about, so we turn around and go back, and........................ Here ya go!!!!

OMG THERE SO CUTEE!!!! YOU HAVE TO BRING THEM TO OUR COLONY!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join