It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Dies: Apple Chief Created Personal Computer, iPad, iPod

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Partisanity

Do you have any proof that the Chinese govt put guns to their heads and forced them to work?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Steve is up in icloud heaven
playing angry birds with God...

RIP Steve we love you!

I wonder if Steve Jobs even forced God to have to jailbreak his Itouch?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It is sad. Almost like he held out until the iPhone 4S launched the same way you hear of cancer patients holding out until their kid gets married or start their first day of school...

Interesting, I learned of his passing on my iPhone with the breaking news push notification, it's like his device sent one last message about its maker.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Out of the million posts about this on dozens of boards this is my only response.

So, some guy who invented a bunch of gadgets to keep the masses mesmerized has died. Woopie. I have never owned or used any Apple Products. I am glad someone who helped make people less social and more dependent on technology and made billions doing it, is a hero to some of you. Oh I realize some of you think cell phones actually helped you! LOL. Good thing it's like smoking a cig every time you use it. Whatever.

My heroes fight for the common man and Justice, and often don't make any money doing it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Do you have any proof that the Chinese govt put guns to their heads and forced them to work?

Are you going to start paying me at some point for teaching you basic history, science, and foreign policy?

No work, no basic provisions necessary for life.

Who needs a gun when biology can kill you just as easily?

And honestly, the Chinese government isn't exactly known for being conservative with their weapons against the general public when they need the to be "in line".

Perhaps you could paint me some adorable little picture of what you think China is like?
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by midwest
reply to post by Domo1

He is due no credit? You do realize that he is on dozens of patents at Apple. He wasn't just a "marketing guy" as you put it. He was the visionary, creative force behind the company. The company faltered and failed after they kicked him out in the 1980s. What did he do? He started Pixar, the best animation studio in the world, and Next computers, which just happened to produce the world's first web server and was later purchased by Apple for their operating system,

(Sigh) one more time...He's on "dozens of patents at Apple" because when an employee invents something as part of his job duty, the patent belongs to the company, not the inventor. He didn't start Pixar, it was a computer Graphics company started by George Lucas, and NeXT was really running Unix under the hood so of COURSE it's going to be "the first web server".

Jobs genius was to take other people's ideas and pass them off as his own. Take a look at this thread that describes Jobs as having "created the personal computer". It was Steve Wozniak who did that, not Jobs. I'm not saying the guy wasn't expert a making money, but I am saying that it's ridiculous to be crying in your beer over the guy when all he did was market other people's stuff (or like Psystar, occasually crush them if he couldn't take the credit for it).

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
One less thief in the world.. Hope the employees at the factory that he drove to suicide met him at the gates of hell..

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

There is no such thing as exploitation. I mean, when the pyramids were built, it's not like anyone put a scimitar to anyone's head to make the slaves build the great wonders. You should know no sympathy for the so-called downtrodden and enslaved. One should only respect that the pyramids were built in the first place! Surely the great pharaohs should be worshiped as gods, because they were great visionaries and the pyramids couldn't have happened without them!

The meek shall inherit the earth?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by alldaylong

What apple did was completely legal. The patents ran out.

it doesn't matter who invented something if they can't revolutionize it.

Yeah it does matter who invented it. You can't just go around say Steve created it if he didn't.

Now if you say that Steve took an existing design and updated. You would be correct. If you said that Steve took an existing design, updated, and in a stroke of genius packaged it with a software/music store interface that was relatively easy to use, you would have hit the nail on the head.

The revolutionary thing about the iPod was the iTunes store. There were other mp3 players on the market. Some better and some worse. What set the iPod apart was that Steve Jobs teamed up with the music industry to make millions of songs easily accessible. Teamed with the proprietary file type it basically knocked other services out of the running.

Steve Jobs was a great sales man that knew how to package things. He knew how to make people want things and feel special for buying his version.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You know what, GOD BLESS THE MAN, I remember 1986 walking into 4th grade computer class and seeing from floor to ceiling white boxes with a big rainbow apple on the front and thinking wtf? what is this, apples? and seeing a computer room completely changed from boring punch card computers with green screen monitors burned with every image possible to one of the most amazing experiences of my childhood school years ever, seeing my hippy computer teacher jumping for joy at his new toys and sitting down and playing my first computer game "where in the world is Carmen San Diego" in friggin COLOR! and I will never forget that it was those APPLE boxes that brought happiness to an underfunded poorly supplied inner city Chicago school and I know that it was APPLE and STEVE JOBS that did this.

So little kitty cat joker DOMO who has to be under 20 or just a little over, please don't open that pussy derrr cat mouth of yours and act like you actually know something when you don't, all you are doing is throwing up what you think and you cannot be MORE wrong, and by the way take that bullsh*t urban dictionary "Fanboi" and shove it, it's stupid and embarrasing, your making a fool out of yourself, go read up some and then come back. Until then leave this thread for the people who can actually relate.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs, God Bless him and his family.
edit on 6-10-2011 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
RIP Steve. I am not one truly devasted by this event but I'm not going to come on here & say anything negative to his death like some do. He was a very influntial leader in the technology world. I have never ownded anything Apple but millions do & absolutely love his stuff. If you don't care then don't post on here & continue to bang your wooden stick in your little cold cave.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Very sad. It's truly the end of an era. Men like Jobs and others have changed our world forever. For this I am grateful....

I was born in 83 and have watched companies like apple revolutionize the way we communicate time and time again. Steve jobs helped to bring us all a little closer to one another. Thank you Steve for everything. You will be missed.

May he find peace.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Steve Jobs really care about what people wanted, the iphone is one of them, we have hundreds of androids, pocket pc, blackberries phones everywhere, but none compared to the technology Apple offers on the iphone. Like he used to say "It Just Works" ........ I have owned top of the line Android phones, they crash, the are slow, the battery sucks, etc. Apple is where it is because of Steve Jobs........An example is something that androids phone have that the iphone didn't and its the voice to text feature, well for me that never worked ok on the android phone, the iphone didn't had that feature until now and it's called SIRI, Steve wanted to be sure that if he added a feature to the iphone it HAD to work properly that's why the iphone is very popular IT JUST WORKS.

Apple will not be the same without Steve Jobs input, he loved his company and products, I couldn't say the same about Tim Cook agenda.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity
It seems that you're missing my point entirely. My only point was only that the success of ATS does not overwrite my sympathy for the workers that Apple exploited -- literally to death -- and in no way changes my opinion about either of them.

Not to diminish the tragedy at Foxconn at all, but what happened there is a "drop in the bucket," and Apple did respond and made an effort to improve things.

There is a near certainty (if not absolute) that right now you're either wearing something, or there is something in your room at home, manufactured by someone under far worse conditions and with far less pay than at Foxconn. The conditions for garment, toy, furniture, etc. manufacturing in China/Pacific Rim are horrid, and none of the companies involved (Walmart, GAP, etc.) are doing anything about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
So little kitty cat joker DOMO who has to be under 20 or just a little over, please don't open that pussy derrr cat mouth of yours and act like you actually know something when you don't, all you are doing is throwing up what you think and you cannot be MORE wrong, and by the way take that bullsh*t urban dictionary "Fanboi" and shove it, it's stupid and embarrasing, your making a fool out of yourself, go read up some and then come back. Until then leave this thread for the people who can actually relate.

I'm sure mr "kitty cat Joker DOMO" can fight his own battles but as for his observations he is absolutely spot on. I remember seeing Apple II+ coming out in my senior year in high school and the game Choplifter was one or two steps less below my first girlfriend. You could not only do so much with it, you could create so much with it. Do you remember Beagle Brothers? Do you remember Steve Cartwright? Do you remember Infocom? I do.

Let's face it, Steve Jobs was a self serving promoter who only cared about himself, and his expertise was to create a vortex where everything around him was sucked into his self promotion. First it was Steve Wozniak who invented the Apple computer, and then next it was John Lasseter who built Pixar. Even then, the Apple II system would have gone straight to the land fill without the immense genius behind the army of software vendors who supported it, and Pixar fims would be as unknown as No Neck Joe cartoons if it wasn't for Disney distributing them.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Such a great loss for the materialistic folks

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Partisanity
It seems that you're missing my point entirely. My only point was only that the success of ATS does not overwrite my sympathy for the workers that Apple exploited -- literally to death -- and in no way changes my opinion about either of them.

Not to diminish the tragedy at Foxconn at all, but what happened there is a "drop in the bucket," and Apple did respond and made an effort to improve things.

There is a near certainty (if not absolute) that right now you're either wearing something, or there is something in your room at home, manufactured by someone under far worse conditions and with far less pay than at Foxconn. The conditions for garment, toy, furniture, etc. manufacturing in China/Pacific Rim are horrid, and none of the companies involved (Walmart, GAP, etc.) are doing anything about it.

"BUT MOMMMM! TOMMY STOLE THE COOKIES, TOOOO!"

Sorry if that variety of "argument" doesn't stir well with my logic, and hasn't since I graduated kindergarten. Probably why I find political slander campaigns so hilarious.

It needs not be said that yes, there are things in my possession -- the majority if not entirely of which were gifts -- that came from worse circumstances, but that doesn't make it all peachy with me at all.

And no, Jobs did not give half of a damn about factory conditions and worker extortion, as he made quite apparent.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Something to think about....

Steve Jobs was the most famous Arab in the world. (He's Syrian).

Link: img.ibtimes.com...

“Don’t be sad because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Who cares. This pompous billionaire wouldn't have posted a thread on a board for your death.

Of course not. He didn't know of me....

What's your point?
edit on 6-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join