It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Dies: Apple Chief Created Personal Computer, iPad, iPod

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
We've lost an incredible visionary. So powerful his impact, that all of us move up one notch in the creativity scale.

Anyone who is in the creative arts and relies on a computer for their trade has felt Steve over their shoulder, I know I have. Thankfully, that's not likely to change.

May his family find solace in his many contributions.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

So sad to hear this. Many suspected it was near. I guess he knew the same. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends. He revolutionized the world.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave

I was about to correct the OP's horrible mistake when you beat me to it. Steve Wozniak was the genius who invented the personal computer,

I never said he invented it. Only that he took ideas and made them better.

But thanks for clarifying this for those who may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We've lost an incredible visionary. So powerful his impact, that all of us move up one notch in the creativity scale.

Anyone who is in the creative arts and relies on a computer for their trade has felt Steve over their shoulder, I know I have. Thankfully, that's not likely to change.

That is a great way to put it. We all move up one spot now.

So let me ask you SO, I am somewhat aware of your background and know that you do a lot of coding for this site and several other computer related things that I really don't understand.

I am curious to know, how Steve Jobs and the many things that exist because of his visions, have directly or maybe, indirectly, affected your work with computers and more specifically, ATS.

Does that make sense? Was struggling to write my question down in a coherent manner.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
reply to post by OmegaLogos

and yes, a very appropriate quote from a movie that would not exist with out the company he co founded/created,Pixar.

Nope, it was George Lucas who created it. Pixar used to be a CGI division of Lucasfilms until Jobs bought it from him. It was originally intended to be a computer graphics hardware company until Pixar employee John Lasseter created Luxo Jr. to showcase what his animation department could do.. It was Lasseter who turned it into a computer animation company by directing Toy Story.

Pixar was just one example of a long line of incidents where Jobs came along like a carpetbagger and stole the credit for other people's work.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Baloney! It's Steve Wozniak who everyone in the conputer field owes a debt of gratitude for their livelihood. If it were up to me everyone in the computer field should buy a copy of IWoz as a token of gratitude.

After reading Iwoz I found out Steve Jobs was such a incredibly petty person that he even worked behind the scenes to destroy Woz' remote control startup company after Woz left Apple. We could have had universal remotes twenty years ago if Jobs coud have only been just a little less of a punk.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

reply to post by OmegaLogos

and yes, a very appropriate quote from a movie that would not exist with out the company he co founded/created,Pixar.

Nope, it was George Lucas who created it. Pixar used to be a CGI division of Lucasfilms until Jobs bought it from him. It was originally intended to be a computer graphics hardware company until Pixar employee John Lasseter created Luxo Jr. to showcase what his animation department could do.. It was Lasseter who turned it into a computer animation company by directing Toy Story.

Pixar was just one example of a long line of incidents where Jobs came along like a carpetbagger and stole the credit for other people's work.

Yup, it was aquired by Apple and Steve Jobs in 1986.... Again, he took something and made it better....

That said... I understand that he never directly invented things. I have not once disputed that. I have repeatedly said that he took things/ aquired things and made them better...

Hey, how many people heard of Pixar before Steve Jobs got his hands on it?

Now, all this aside, a man died.... It just kind of irks me to see us all arguing over what he did and did not do.

Yes, I know. he took other peoples ideas, tweaked them to make them better and sold them as his own package... It worked. that is business. He did with a product what so many others could not do.

That is his genius.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Yes, not all the ideas are from Apple or has been Steve's. But it was very often his genius, to transform just the idea into a big success. I am not an iPhone owner, but its just another example. Where others are trying to streamline their products economically, to make more bucks per sold unit, Apple and especially Steve was putting his entire heart into it. Many of their products has been a success, because the people love them. This is not a discussion about Apple or Microsoft. I don't believe there are any 'good' companies on this planet, have the sake of mankind in mind. But he contributed a LOT and we haven't lost one visionary, we have lost THE visionary in IT. Bill Gates is just a salesman...

He was and is my hero. Thank you Steve, I will never forget you.
edit on 6.10.2011 by C64Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

We could have had universal remotes twenty years ago if Jobs coud have only been just a little less of a punk.

Business is really ugly sometimes. But he did not do what a million other business men have not also done.

Not to say it may have been ethically wrong, but you know... Anyone who ever thought the business world was fair.... Has never been in the business world.

It's all about getting to the top and Steve knew exactly how to get there and stay there. He would take ideas, programs etc... tweak them to make them better, more accessible and often easier to use, and would market them perfectly.

He was a visionary and made it to the top for a reason. The mans influence and power was very noticeable.
edit on 6-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I was about to correct the OP's horrible mistake when you beat me to it. Steve Wozniak was the genius who invented the personal computer,

Nope. It was his direct technical meddling that destroyed ideas. It was his decision to remove the fan out of the Apple III that directly caused it to overheat and gave it a 100% failure rate, Jobs ordering Woz to design it specifically to make it incompatable with the Apple II made it a complete kludge.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Nope. It was his direct technical meddling that destroyed ideas. It was his decision to remove the fan out of the Apple III that directly caused it to overheat and gave it a 100% failure rate, Jobs ordering Woz to design it specifically to make it incompatable with the Apple II made it a complete kludge.

Oh no, he made a bad call before... On no! Clearly this is proof that Apple and Pixar ( yes I know Disney now owns Pixar) are complete failures as companies.

Oh wait...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
What are you serious! I honestly thought this was some sick kind of prank...
Dam that's horrible i thought he was going to beat this.
RIP Steve Jobs, a true Visionary of our time.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The apple hive-mind dies. Now a lieutenant will take his place as the birth-giver.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JoBee

Nope, no prank. He really is dead.

Sad to say.

abcnews.go.com...

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimevoyager
The apple hive-mind dies. Now a lieutenant will take his place as the birth-giver.

Okay, that was funny.

Never really wanted to join the apple colt... Couldn't afford it if I wanted to.

Joking aside, sad to see him go though.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Yup, it was aquired by Apple and Steve Jobs in 1986.... Again, he took something and made it better....

Nope, Jobs sold off the hardware division of Pixar and he was about to sell off the CGI division and ditch it altogether until Disney announced they were going to distribite Lasseter's Toy Story. This is in the public record.

Hey, how many people heard of Pixar before Steve Jobs got his hands on it?

Everyone in Pixar. The name came from the graphics computer system they were using. Jobs didn't even come up with THAT name, either.

Now, all this aside, a man died.... It just kind of irks me to see us all arguing over what he did and did not do.

Then you should be pleased to know that the man disgusted me to no end back when he was still alive. He destroyed Psystar even though they were buying legal copies of IOS for little other reason than he was a dictator and he wanted everyone to install it on Apple manufactured machinery. Did your car's manufacturer ever demand that you can only drive it on officially sactioned roads?

The guy even forced me to pay $10 to upgrade the OS on my Itouch one month after I bought it. Heck, Microsofts's downloaded upgrades are all free.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimevoyager

Is that a good thing, and what does that exactly mean?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Just woke up and funnily enough there was a notification on my iPhone. Although I do have small issues with some of Apples ways and means - this takes nothing away from Steve Jobs.
I enjoyed his enthusiasm, motivation and innovation - I can’t think of anyone else like him apart from Bill Gates and there is no comparison there in my opinion.

RIP and thanks for the contributions man.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

There IS a cancer cure ... patients say they are open to natural cures, but when it really comes down to it, then they aren't open to a natural cure and they don't follow through. So, the doctors put their patients through 'the system', rich and poor alike. Plus, mainstream Doctors work for 'Big Pharma', not their patients.

I lived within walking distance to Apple Headquarters for 15 yrs, yet I never worked there, as I'm also a PC person. Friends and former co-workers would refer me, but I told them bringing in my PC wouldn't fly, so I never worked there. I passed by the HQ everyday, but Steve was never outside waving (LOL). I could see part of the campus from my second-floor bedroom window .....if I tilted my head 90 degrees. But, I've since relocated back East a few years ago and I'm still a PC person.

Anyway, I met Steve briefly in the early 90's at a convention at the Santa Clara Convention Center with a group of techy people I worked with back then in Silicon Valley while the internet was still in the developmental and (alpha) testing stages.

Steve told it like it is. Most liked his style ... straight-shooter, very direct and forward and being a native East Coaster I appreciated his straightforward, but non-arrogant approach. I thought that many of the people there would beat around the bush or sugar-coat everything which annoys me. Steve was refreshing -- upfront and honest.

Sometimes friends who worked for him would forward Steve's customer service reply emails to me that they knew I'd get a good laugh out of. They were so funny, but I only remember a few .... Steve's reply to a complaining customer who was late for a college class b/c she had to wait in line for one-hour to buy one of his new products - he replied ...

"My mission isn't to make sure that you have immediate access to a new product launch and get to class on time. I'm not apologizing that you had to wait in a long line. I do understand how this must have affected you, seeing that you are entitled and privileged. Now, whose problem is that -- surely not mine".

Hey I thought it was funny ... at least at the time.

... and here's another beaut ... "Had you read the instructions first that the technical writers and dozens of other staff members prepared before sending me this unnecessary message you wouldn't have wasted your time -- I do not provide personal one-on-one technical instruction". "I do not field customer calls from the 1-800 lines". "Now, if you'll forgive me - I HAVE A COMPANY TO RUN". (we were ROTFL over this one, which is why it stands out in my mind)

These are just a few that I remember. If you saw the original request you'd see that he was right on.

He was a great leader and didn't take any bs from anyone. RIP Steve

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Nope, Jobs sold off the hardware division of Pixar and he was about to sell off the CGI division and ditch it altogether until Disney announced they were going to distribite Lasseter's Toy Story. This is in the public record.

About to. He saw an opportunity to make pixar better and he took it... Exactly as I said.

Everyone in Pixar.

Anyone else before he came around? Not really....Admit it... He improved Pixar. Or are you still going to sit there with your hands over your ears pretending that Apple is not a very successful company thanks to him and Pixar became what is is now thanks to his involvement...

Either way

Then you should be pleased to know that the man disgusted me to no end back when he was still alive. He destroyed Psystar even though they were buying legal copies of IOS for little other reason than he was a dictator and he wanted everyone to install it on Apple manufactured machinery. Did your car's manufacturer ever demand that you can only drive it on officially sactioned roads?

Good for you. You were disgusted by a man. I am proud of you. No really.

He was a tough business man and took down other businesses and stopped other people from achieving success like millions of other business men... Clearly....Proof that Apple and pixar were utter failures as companies....
Try again... Your point failed.

The guy even forced me to pay $10 to upgrade the OS on my Itouch one month after I bought it. Heck, Microsofts's downloaded upgrades are all free.

Yet you still paid it. You still bought his product even though you were disgusted by the man. Go figure.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join