It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Dies: Apple Chief Created Personal Computer, iPad, iPod

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...
Lost iPhone 5: Apple Reportedly Assists San Francisco Police In Recovering Missing iPhone 5 Prototype

Well how is it that an iphone 5 was stolen (this from APPLES MOUTH and they sent there own agents with the police) and then some iphone4gs+ is released>?
Makes no sense to me unless THEY conspired a whole hoax
to garner attention. Or they released an inferior model to maximize profit with
the passing of Steve Jobs knowing they could get away with it without people thinking twice about it?
Would not be the first time an iphone was *leaked* because this happened with
the iphone 4!!!!
edit on 6-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Oh no, he made a bad call before... On no! Clearly this is proof that Apple and Pixar ( yes I know Disney now owns Pixar) are complete failures as companies.

Oh wait... :@@

No, it's actually proof that Jobs is a shameless, self serving person who takes other people's creations and passes them off as his own. The one thing he did attempt to create on his own, NeXT computer, failed dismally.

Besides, Lasseter was tinkering with animation long before Jobs ever darkened Pixar's doors. They're the ones who made the Genesis animation in the Wrath of Khan. It would have been George Lucas who'd be famous for Toy Story if he hadn't been forced to sell it to recoup the losses from Howard the Duck.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I never understand celebrity/rich people worship. Sure its sad when anyone dies. Sure he accomplished a lot in a materialistic sense in a materialistic world but it always baffles and disgusts me how people will care, be sadder and talk more about some celebrity they never met dying than say like.. their next door neighbor. Pretty sad really, especially considering many of the same people here on ATS supposedly hate this materialistic world and the rich people who "own" us, yet they're so upset steve jobs, a guy hording billions of dollars, died? Does not compute.

I'm sorry but there's a bit of a difference between someone like a Gandhi and someone who made billions of dollars selling you neat toys and gadgets and crushed plenty of small businesses in the process. As many have pointed out he also did some things of questionable ethics, this is no saint. It's not even like he actually personally invented the ipods, iphones and what not you're so fond of. Business tycoons don't deserve so much worship.. this is how we got in this situation of the rich having all the power and money in the first place.... doh.
edit on 6-10-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I wonder if I still lived in Silicon Valley CA maybe I could have had my friends who still work at Apple approach him. I do know how to cure cancer. I could have name-dropped as I had met other CEO's, and VC's as well, that Steve also knew. He probably would have thought that I was a crackpot just like a well-known local actor here did who also died of pancreatic cancer not too long ago. One of my in-laws worked closely with this actor and he suggested I contact him to see if he would try my treatment. But, I didn't contact him based on a comment he made about people trying to make money off of desperate people. Although, I don't charge any$$$$thing. Whatever. People are leery about this, so I just keep it to myself. The world isn't ready.

But I did cure my own cancer years ago. My background is in business management (within the hi-tech industry). I did minor in Biology but only because it comes easy to me and I had to select a minor.So, I don't have a background in health-care or medicine. He probably would have told his people he didn't want to meet with me. Most people including famous or wealthy want the latest and greatest treatment, not some alternative treatment from someone without medical credentials and who works in hi-tech, a totally unrelated field.

Doctors will take anyone's money; middle-class, rich, poor, and even the elite, for nothing in return. They especially like the wealthy patients and patients with top-of-the line medical coverage as there's more $$$$$ to get, so they drag out the process and try new treatments that are extremely costly ... the treatments most could never afford so they never even hear about it. It isn't even offered as an option. They are ineffective and don't cure anyway. It's all bs.

When it comes to cancer, wealthy people do not get better treatment than middle-class. That's not true. When it comes to cancer most patients don't get the best possible treatment even if they pay for it because it isn't available. There is no money in alternative treatments and cancer is big biz .. to the tune of $660 Billion.

IMO, when it comes to cancer, Doctors treat, they don't cure ... regardless of your socioeconomic background or status. It's all about cash cows and money.

Very, very sad news ... RIP Steve ... You made a huge difference and incredible contributions.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave

Oh no, he made a bad call before... On no! Clearly this is proof that Apple and Pixar ( yes I know Disney now owns Pixar) are complete failures as companies.

Oh wait... :@@

No, it's actually proof that Jobs is a shameless, self serving person who takes other people's creations and passes them off as his own.

So.... a business man....

Yep I agree and have agreed with you on that. You are repeating yourself. I agree. Jobs was a ruthless business man who destroyed companies and stopped people from being able to be successful.

He sure did.... Find me a CEO of a major company that didn't and I will show you a a janitor sitting in the CEO's seat.

So we agree he was a savage business man and that helped him get to where he got. His vision, intelligence and wit helped to make him a success.

Awesome. Now we can move on.

edit on 6-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Steve Jobs was a true innovator and visionary. He was a modern-day Thomas Edison of sorts. The "smart phone" is a revolution in communications technology. he worked at Atari. He concieved of the commercial appeal / need of the "mouse". Think about how much more impressive and sophisticated an I-Phone is compared to Captain Kirk's communicator on Star Trek.
He appeared to be a good person from my outsider's point of view. I like him a lot more than a former CEO of Microsoft that will go unmentioned here, that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Is this a parody thread?

This is the guy that forced Chinese workers -- since they were getting so "out of line" by killing themselves after working up to and over 100 hours of overtime a month -- to sign contracts that stated that if they committed suicide their families would receive the least possible payment from Apple...

Source

And all you guys can do is enthuse about your shiny glass phones... wow.

Seriously... all I can say is... Karma's a b#. Good riddance.

Hopefully the next CEO has something that us people with souls call decency.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkest4

I'm sorry but there's a bit of a difference between someone like a Gandhi and someone who made billions of dollars selling you neat toys and gadgets, business tycoons don't deserve so much worship.. this is how we got in this situation of the rich having all the power and money in the first place....
edit on 6-10-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

I agree with you actually. I ironically found myself in the position of defending the man, when I am not going to lose a bit of sleep over it.

Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing business man and did amazing things... But for what it is worth, I too would rather see people focusing on people such as Gandhi.

But here I am defending Steve Jobs just to keep the thread on track, and I don't mind, I am learning more and more about him and honestly, I am most impressed with his speaking. The man could speak and was rather inspirational with his speeches.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
So, I get it that everybody is bummed about Steve Jobs. But lets set the record straight: The hardware, circuit board, and operating system of the Apple I was created and solely patented by Steve Wozniak. Forbes referred to him as "one of the biggest egomaniacs in Silicon Valley" and on the list of "America's Worst Bosses". While we seem to cheer those bashing the greedy corporate types on Wall Street today, let us not forget that Jobs' net worth is $8.3 billion, and in 2001 was found to have been backdating $20m worth of stock options he never paid taxes on. He banned all books on the iPad by the company that published his unflattering biography. And while Bill Gates continues to be America's biggest philanthroper, in 1997, Jobs banned all philanthropic efforts by Apple completely.
Apple has been painted by the media and their own marketing as being the "cool tech" for the hipster/liberal crowd, while the IBM/Windows/Microsoft domain is chided as being "big blue corporate greed". Well, anybody who bought an Apple product has been hoodwinked; you gave your money to one of the least charitable and most personally greedy and egomaniacal people on the planet.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity
Is this a parody thread?

No, the man really died...

Maybe you should read through it though because there has been a very wide array of opinions...This has by no means been a Steve jobs ass kissing thread.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yep, that has been discussed quite a bit in this thread. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

So let me ask you SO, I am somewhat aware of your background and know that you do a lot of coding for this site and several other computer related things that I really don't understand.

Before I delved heavy into code, I was (and still try to be at times) an artist. My media of choice was pastels, pencil, and pen + ink.

For a time, I had a promising run at being a published children's book author/illustrator. While my books were not yet published, I was in high demand at elementary schools where I would read the stories and show the artwork to hundreds of kids at a time. I even had a reasonably well-respected literary agent in NYC.

But that never panned out... it's tough to get that first book offer.

However, at the same time, Macs were becoming popular... especially in schools and homes with children. So Mrs. Overlord suggested (since my education background was computer science) that I turn my children's books into CD-ROMs. I started a business and did just that. About 18 months later, the magazine "Mac Home Journal" named one of my interactive children's books the "Kid's CD-ROM Of The Year." I did it all on a shoe-string on a pretty inexpensive and low-end Mac (for the time), which still had far superior graphic arts capabilities than any comparable PC.

That eventually led to my starting one of the first digital/interactive departments in any ad agency (they didn't even have email at the time), which was a 100% Mac shop -- and that's typically still the case. From there, I learned online programming, and supervised others who also did.

So, it's probably reasonably safe to say, that if not for the value of the Mac brainchild of Steve Jobs (value in terms of overall capabilities and usefulness to creatives), there would likely not be any ATS today.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

Yep, that has been discussed quite a bit in this thread.

I haven't had time to go through all 13 pages...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave
Baloney! It's Steve Wozniak who everyone in the conputer field owes a debt of gratitude for their livelihood.

It took both geniuses to create the seed that grew into what Apple is today.

I like Woz, he's brilliant and deserves a great deal of credit. But make no mistake, it was a team that made it happen. Without Jobs, the brilliance of Woz's work may have been relegated to hobbyists, and without Woz, Jobs would have had nothing to sell. It was a synergistic combination, where each needed the other.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

No ATS would be horrible... Where would I get my news? CNN? Fox? haha

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

So, it's probably reasonably safe to say, that if not for the value of the Mac brainchild of Steve Jobs (value in terms of overall capabilities and usefulness to creatives), there would likely not be any ATS today.

I had no idea you are an artist or that you nearly had a career as a children's book author. That is really awesome and actually paints a softer side of the owner of ATS.

That said, wow. That is very interesting. Hey, I guess it gives even the Steve Jobs dislikers, something to be thankful for.

ATS very well might not exist, had it not been for Steve Jobs and his many visions.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

reply to post by jhn7537

ahah, I forget this thread is pretty big. Fair enough.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

That's very... "touching"...

...Was it "worth it"?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity

That's very... "touching"...

...Was it "worth it"?

Is being a member of ATS worth it? I mean, if you now have moral objections to ATS, no one is making you stay.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

reply to post by jhn7537

ahah, I forget this thread is pretty big. Fair enough.

But to add to that, I should always read the thread before posting a response...

I will say this, I am not an Apple-cult follower, i actually have never purchased an apple product (not even a IPod), but I will say that the company Steve Jobs co-founded has definitely impacted technolgy, and the growth of technology, in general.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join