It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Student Suspended Over Border Patrol Shirt

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Fact: The illegal immigration issue is very polarizing right now, especially concerning Mexicans & Latinos.
Fact: The Border Patrol represents the enforcement of stopping illegal immigrants from entering the USA.

Safe Assumption: These students wore these shirts in an attempt to show their support of US laws against illegal immigration at a school function where many Mexican & Latinos were in attendance.

Question: Would the principle be blamed (either appropriately or wrongly) if he allowed them to wear the shirts and a riot was caused by it? What if these kids or others were hurt or killed at this possible riot? This principle would never work again, you can bank on it.

Opinion: The principle made the right decision in order to assure the safety of the students on his watch, but went about it in the worst possible way.

Fact: The principles actions violated the students freedom of speech, maybe for they're own good. Much like you would stop your child from saying something offensive at an inappropriate time.

Question: Where can I get one of those shirts?
edit on 10/5/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
well i just have to step in here

Seeing that One ! Im a Mixed Race European and Iroquois Mohawk Mix just as HISPANICS!! ARE !!!! in which Became a New Pedigree ! Human Race! ( Considered ) Spaniards & South-North Native Americans Spanish Speaking Indians with Son & Daughters OF Spain Blood Running though Them !

We have a Similar Problem with Border Patrol & Coast Guard & State Troopers Too!! On the Other Side of the Nation The Northern Side Canadian Border Side.. Native Americans Here DO get more Looked Upon Then Caucasians as the Smuggling Trade is Rampant Here as the Natives American Indian at the Border of Canada & US Has Duel Citizens at the Boarder in New York Yet are Legal !

But I Wouldn't get Offensive About it as for Some people little do they Know is that
There is Boarder Patrol Officers !!!! With Hispanic Descent! Too..Yet American

A Whole Lot of Them ! So I Would NOT Call it a Racial Issue I would Call it a Country Issue a Illegal Immigrant Issue That Falls On Race as The Majority at the Mexican Side of the Boarder is Obviously
Hispanic as The Term has the Tendency in the U.S. Means Spanish Indian Mix Race ..

Some call it For Spanish ( Mexico )

Mestizo
en.wikipedia.org...

Some Call it for French/British (Canada) more Like Me!

Métis
en.wikipedia.org...

So Lets Call this a Illegal Immigrant National Culture Issue ...

Not a Race Issue Please ...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Okay, guys. Correct me if I'm wrong as I am not an american citizen and I do not quite understand how your system works.

Are your schools not funded by tax payer's dollars? Would the bus not be funded by taxpayer money? The driver, if not a member of the school board, would probably be hired and paid with the tax payers money, correct? The principle is paid by tax payers money, and in my honest opinion not only, went again those students rights and freedoms, but those of the parents as well. There is a reason the police didn't do anything. If this happened in my local, we would get a petition together, or at least a group of parents with signatures, address the school board and request said principle be removed from duty for abusing his position of authority. The students did nothing wrong, as well the students were told a quack excuse like " Your tax payer funded t-shirts, are not allowed on our tax payer funded bus. Zieg Heil, eat the cock meat. Oh and their Racist, get off my bus you little bigots. " I am all for listening to any and all of the schools, and principles rules no matter how ridiculous they may be, but if he made it up on the spot for some unknown reason(my first thought was he had a personal vendetta with the students in question.) I feel a good structure builds good men. How ever, I find this a blatant abuse of authority, with the most ridiculous excuse.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? The principle should have warned the boys, asked them to remove the shirts, or turn them inside out, only then if they did not comply could they be removed or denied access to their bus !!! Their parents pay taxes, it's their bus not the principles.

As well, any time anyone does something wrong they have the right to know exactly what they did wrong and why it's wrong. No matter, how obvious the offense, may seem. In this case, the offense didn't harm anyone else. There is no mention of anyone aside from the principle being bothered by the t-shirts and even then, he didn't make it clear it was a problem.

The principle just like the teachers, as well as those cops are supposed to be civil servants!!! They are there to serve the public !!!! If a student asks a question it is their duty to answer, and make sure the student understands the answer! He has gone against everything he is to stand for!!! Sports keep kids out of trouble! The border patrol keeps trouble out of the country. Perhaps the principle is an illegal immigrant, or perhaps the driver he hired is and is being paid 25cents a day to drive that bus, and he has to pay his own gas.

I believe an investigation is necessary! Please, if this is in your local school district, do something about it. I can't even imagine the other injustices that take place. He could use his " Power " to do who knows what, and his attitude doesn't convince me he's a good principle. His reaction to the investigation, should and will tell that even more. If he cooperates he cares, if he tries to play cat and mouse there is something amiss.

Disgusting abuse of power, in an area an honest, caring, responsible, fair and trustworthy individual is a must. Children/teens are our most valuable asset. They should be treated as such.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

I can't believe that MY tax dollars have to support MILLIONS of individuals living in this country illegally. As an American citizen I don't feel i should have to help people that ren't making any attempt whatsoever to become legal. There are places in this country where you don't even feel like you're in America. Places where most of the population can't speak english. When i go to them ATM at my locale bank? The very first prompt that comes up is a language selection. English isn't even the first language to selct from.
You're right. There is a world outside of the U.S. and I and quite a large amount of the legal population here could give a sh*t less about it.

I'll respect others living in my country when they respect me and this country that they're milking dry.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

We may not get to pick and choose what people wear, but unfortunately, the school does. Like it or not, that is the way it is. I don't think the kids were trying to be racist...they were trying to be funny. The principle obviously didn't find it funny. The kid getting suspended is a bit over the line.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I find this all very amusing. You really can tell who is who just by seeing the responses to this thread. Let me say it again. Those boys had every right to wear those shirts. Every single right under the constitution.

Let me also say again, the first amendment protects the right to you have an opinion. It does NOT protect you from having other people form an opinion about your opinion.

So they decided to wear border patrols shirts to a game with a majority of kids that are of Latino descent. Ok, that's all good and dandy, they were trying to be cute. Some people don't have the same sense of humor.

So lets say that the kids did in fact get the snot beaten out of them by people who didn't get the "joke". Now all of a sudden parents want to sue the school for not doing enough to protect their precious children.

Was the principal in the right for how he handled the situation? No. He should have pulled the two aside and explained just why he thought it wasn't a good idea for them to wear their shirts. Maybe he should have called the parents to express his concerns.

If the parents still insisted that their children go to the game with those shirts on? Then they accept responsibility for what happens next. Maybe nothing would have happened. Maybe a few cat calls. Maybe a fist fight.

for everyone once again saying only an illegal would be offended? Hi there, legal citizen. Hispanic descent. Accused of being an illegal because I dared to speak Spanish to some colleagues who were also Hispanic but looked more.... European. Flashed Id card let them have it.

If you've never been racially profiled, you won't get why the shirts are offensive. I have been and I absolutely understand why someone would find it offensive. for those of you who claim that the border patrol does not racially profile and they would never ever harass a legal citizen, perhaps you should take a look at the many lawsuits being brought against them by legal citizens.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwc273
I don't have a problem with folks that come into the USA LEGALLY just as our ancestors did - but I have a BIG problem with illegals. I will give them credit that they will work on jobs our lazy Americans won't.

JOE vs. JOSE
Interesting when you work the numbers.

You have two families: "Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal".
Both families have two parents, two children, and live in California.

Joe Legal works in construction, has a Social Security Number and
makes $25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.

Jose Illegal also works in construction, has NO Social Security
Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Ready? Now pay attention...

Joe Legal:
$25.00 per hour x 40 hours = $1000.00 per week, or $52,000.00
per year. Now take 30% away for state and federal tax; Joe Legal now has $31,231.00.

Jose Illegal: $15.00 per hour x 40 hours = $600.00 per week, or
$31,200.00 per year. Jose Illegal pays no taxes. Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays medical and dental insurance with limited coverage for
his family at $600.00 per month, or $7,200.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $24,031.00.

Jose Illegal has full medical and dental coverage through the state
and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal makes too much money and is not eligible for food stamps or welfare.
Joe Legal pays $500.00 per month for food, or $6,000.00 per year.
Joe Legal now has $18,031.00.

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for food stamps
and welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,200.00 per month, or $14,400.00 per year.
Joe Legal now has 9,631.00.

Jose Illegal receives a $500.00 per month federal rent subsidy. Jose
Illegal pays out that $500.00 per month, or $6,000.00 per year.
Jose Illegal still has $ 31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays $200.00 per month, or $2,400.00 for insurance.
Joe Legal now has $7,231.00.

Jose Illegal says, "We don't need no stinkin' insurance!" and still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal has to make his $7,231.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline, etc.
Jose Illegal has to make his $31,200.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline,
and what he sends out of the country every month.

Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.

Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family, and drink beer .

Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend the same school.
Joe Legal pays for his children's lunches while
Jose Illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch.
Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program.
Joe Legal's children go home.

Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same police and fire services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.

Do you get it now?

If you vote for or support any politician that supports illegal aliens you are part of the problem!

We need to make changes ASAP!

It's way PAST time to take a stand for America and Americans!

What are you waiting for?

BRAVO FOR THIS POST. I printed it out as it lays out the biggest problem with illegals that exists. You all out in California need not think your the only ones dealing with illegals. I'm in N.C. and it's abundantly clear we have been invaded in silence by 25 million illegals from the southern border.

So all this we protect our border talk is pure bullshat. If there were terrorists, I feel as though there arent any. But if they were I'm sure if they were willing to learn to fly a jetliner and crash it into some buildings, Then moving to Mexico,learning some spanish, dressing like the locals and just walking across or pourous southern border and blow ths f-ing shat out of us. Would be a cake walk for them.

Our gov does not care about our security. That pourous southern border is proof of that. Bring the troops home. secure our borders, secure our coast's. And let it be know, again, " Don't tread on us" And this time mean it.
edit on 5-10-2011 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Where were the people defending this Border Patrol shirt back when I was in high school and kids were getting suspended for wearing black nail polish and "satanic" Marilyn Manson T-Shirts? Don't see many people jumping to defend their First Amendment rights.

It seems to me the only reason anyone has heard about this crap is that the gun toting nutbags who wanna shoot every "tan" person who crosses our imaginary line,have picked this up to promote their agenda.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwc273
reply to post by colloredbrothers

The implied point of my post is that only ILLEGALS would be offended...

Wrong. I was born in the United States and served five years in the military, one of which spent in Iraq. My girlfriend is a legal immigrant, who went through the incredibly ridiculous immigration process. Both of us are offended by this separatist mentality, wherein illegal immigrants are demonized and dehumanized. "Illegal" is just an excuse for you to not give a # about another person. All sexual positions other than the missionary position are illegal in Florida, but there is no crusade to get rid of all the girls girls who do it doggy style in Florida. Oh no it's fine to be illegal in that case, right? So why are illegal immigrants such a big deal?

Guess how the United States was founded? Did we all fill out paperwork and submit it to the Native Americans for approval? Did we pay them regular payments and hire lawyers to deal with their tribal councils? Nope. We murdered them and appropriated their # ILLEGALLY. Yet because we think somehow that we now "own" the land, we are entitled to keep other people out. Do you think every illegal immigrant gets paid $15/hour and pays no taxes? If so you are utterly mistaken. Many illegals indeed do pay taxes, under official tax ID numbers, because they just plain do not understand the system. Thus many a "Jose" pays into the system just like the "Joes." Not to mention that Jose spends every damn penny of his money, which means he is paying his fair share of sales taxes to the states. Income tax is unconstitutional anyway, so people not paying it are essentially patriots of the United States.

Now let's talk about how great the immigration system is, shall we? It costs thousands upon thousands of dollars at every step of the immigration process, unless you are somehow familiar with the US legal system prior to your entry into the country. Most immigrants are not. So we must assume most immigrants also have to pay large amounts of lawyers fees, which means you need a decent job. What are the job prospects for an immigrant? Do they become highly paid executives? Not generally. Do they become middle-class workers? Probably not. Do they take #ty jobs which pay minimum wage or maybe slightly better? Judging by how many janitors and maids are educated professionals, doctors, scientists, who came to this country to pursue a dream and had to work their way up the social ladder, I would assume that this is most generally the case. Thus if you make minimum wage and have to pay enormous fees just to go through the naturalization process, it is going to be a rough ten years for you to do this the legal way. Not much incentive there, would you agree?

Many of these immigrants are actually imported or recruited from other countries by employers who WANT TO HIRE ILLEGALS. So who is perpetuating the problem? Ignorant peasants trying to come to another country and work their way towards their dreams or predatory business-owners looking to exploit the country's labor system as well as fellow human beings? But who gets the blame? DAMN THOSE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TRYING TO DESTROY OUR COUNTRY! Pure ignorance. So who DOES get every opportunity to come to this country and go through the naturalization process LEGALLY? Wealthy people, corporate employees, drug dealers, thieves, etc. People with money or access to money. In other words, people who have to put in minimal effort to become an American. If you have money, you can do it legally. It's really that easy. Just sell a pound of coc aine, and you can become a citizen of the US no problem. The incentives for legal immigration are completely contrary to the boot-strap mentality many of these anti-immigrant people have.

I support free speech, but there is a certain point where a person entrusted with the safety and well-being of a large group has to identify and neutralize possible threats to that safety. I would say that kids wearing border patrol shirts is unlikely to lead to a dangerous situation in itself, but I think it's also unlikely that these kids were innocently trying to "express themselves." They were most likely trying to stir the pot, and that's suspicious. If an Iraqi looked that suspicious he would have been "neutralized" by the military, no questions asked, and the same people complaining right now would have been waving flags and honoring the "heroes" who killed that "terrorist." It would be interesting to see what this kid's history looks like; perhaps he was a notorious instigator? In any case the principal definitely could have conducted himself more professionally, but he did what he thought was in the group's best interest. I see nothing wrong with telling a kid to change his shirt or find his own ride.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Horselover Fat

maybe you don't see anyone now jumping up to defend their rights because that was what? 10 years ago? why would you jump up now to defend the rights of satan worshipping "nutbags" who got suspended from school that long ago?

and FYI.....when i was in school during that same time period, not a single student at my school got suspended for that style of dress.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

I agree whole-heartedly. Especially about how they're taking over Colorado. I've been in the same situation where I had to go to a manager at a restaurant because the Hispanic person taking my order didn't understand one word to me. When I got upset, I was called a racist. It was complete and utter bulls#it. The love of my life has a Hispanic father and both of them hate illegals with a passion.
edit on 5/10/2011 by Believer101 because: None

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
reply to post by Propulsion

The love of my life has a Hispanic father and both of them hate illegals with a passion.

How can you hate your own people with a passion? Sounds like self-effacement to me.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wagnificent

So you're going to try and lump an obscure state law about sexual positions into the same level of national priority as immigration law? Do i really have to point out the flawed logic in that one?

You're right, we did not treat with the Native Americans fairly. However, I can also say that we conquered them, same way we conquered the british when it came to the revolution. We fought for this and and won it, therefore, it's ours. If you think that "Jose" is spending every damn penny of his money, then you also are utterly mistake. "Jose" sends quite a large amount of the money he makes here back across the border to his family in Mexico. If you'd like, the next time I'm at my local grocery store i'll take a picture of him sending it by Western Union. He works at a local tree farm.

So what you're telling me is that you support a freely open border where anyone can come in and easily be declared a citizen of this country. That's a straight path to the U.S. becoming a thirid world country. We don't have enough jobs to support our curent population, let alone what would happen if we did something like that.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Are all illegals now Hispanic? Maybe what's being said here is that they hate illegals, meaning the people living here illegally and milking this system for everything it's worth are the ones they hate.

You ever drive past the projects and see brand the brand new cadillacs on 20"s sitting out front? Yeah, i hate that as much as i hate illegals.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the comedy in this thread. It made my morning.

If you don't see why wearing this kind of shirt to a mostly Latino populated town is offensive and obviously done with malicious intention, then you are stupid. There's no other way about it. You are just plain ignorant.

The rationalization I see in this thread is laughable. Why can you not simply admit that these little punks were trying to start trouble? They aren't heroes, they're stupid teens who were trying to be mean. If you can't see that, I feel sorry for you.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by babuthegreat

Are all illegals now Hispanic? Maybe what's being said here is that they hate illegals, meaning the people living here illegally and milking this system for everything it's worth are the ones they hate.

You ever drive past the projects and see brand the brand new cadillacs on 20"s sitting out front? Yeah, i hate that as much as i hate illegals.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

2nd.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Are all Hispanics illegal? Are all German people Nazis? Are all Americans slave owners? No, I don't think so. Way to be ignorant

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Fact: The principles actions violated the students freedom of speech, maybe for they're own good. Much like you would stop your child from saying something offensive at an inappropriate time.

Fact: People must suffer the consequences of their own choices in expressing their opinions in their wardrobe.

Fact: The principal had no right to "assume" he knew the kid's "intentions/meaning" other than the two words on the shirts.

Fact: The students actions violated no part of the school code of conduct.

Opinion: The mom has a very nice gift-wrapped civil rights suit, that lawyers are salivating over right now. Good luck Mom!

Exactly what I took from this whole ordeal. I'm sure the OP is the parent of one of those brainless hillbillies and was trying to defend the actions that he planted in his kids head. It's not racism for the OP, it's just his way of life.

You have a very loose definition of racism. Where does it end? If I wear a shirt with the outline of Africa (and I'm white), am I a racist? Oh, you didn't look closer, it was from Busch Gardens (and Africa-themed theme park). Etc., etc. Is a white t-shirt now proclaiming white power? It's ridiculous! If they wore DEA shirts, do we throw them off the bus for offending the potheads? To allow this to stand would create a very slippery slope indeed, as to what can be called racism...and racism is a VERY serious allegation and term to just throw around lightly...
edit on 5-10-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here is from the School online newspaper: my.hsj.org... ools/Newspaper/tabid/100/View/frontpage/NewspaperId/3039/EditionId/34345/articleId/451075/Default.aspx

What may have been funny to these students was disrespectful to many. “I have worked at DRHS for 15 years, and rarely have I ever felt unsafe within my school,” declares Mrs. Buchanan, “I have numerous students this year who are Latino; I have Asian students; I even have a student from Africa. This message of hate sent by these students causes me to fear for the safety of my students as well as us teachers.”

Last Friday, September 2nd, several boys wore t-shirts that read “Border Patrol.” After four trips to the office and a stern talking to from the cops at the game, the boys were allowed to wear the shirts in school and to the game. What did their message mean?

MOD (Men of Dakota) squad member, Sean Dimoff (12) states, “This is an embarrassment to the school. We are a school with ethnic diversity, and the fact that a few in the student body would go out and alienate part of our school and the rival’s school populace is disgusting.” Dakota students strive to achieve the goals of to learn, to love, and to leave a positive legacy. Other students’ actions reflect on our school as a whole, so when students from Dakota wear a “Border Patrol” shirt, the entire Dakota Ridge community is affected.

“While we want all students to Live, Love, Learn, and Leave A Legacy, we collectively – students, staff, and parents – should seek to ensure the actions we bring forth daily are those of honor and integrity and include a foundation of positive support, caring, and compassion for one another. This is the learning community we should all strive for at Dakota Ridge High School,” describes Jelinek.

Students have to live in this environment which the staff and students create. Although, legally, no one can stop someone from wearing a shirt like this, students must ask themselves “Who we be?” Immigration is a complicated and complex issue that congress continues to debate. So, students have to think about the message they want to represent. Do we want to be a student body whom allows this kind of negative vibe to go around while being frowned upon by others, or do we want to be the ones to leave a positive legacy and be looked upon with a high regard from others?

“Regardless, there is always a time and place to express one’s freedom of speech. The boys who wore the shirts in an environment with a significant Hispanic population created the potential for a substantial disruption and danger to themselves and those around them,” states Dr. Jelinek. Many students and the staff have taken this to heart and feel very uncomfortable. “It was offensive because I think that it’s a pretty touchy subject. I mean my boyfriend is Mexican, so to me that is definitely a hate crime,” comments Hannah Warren (12).

Jeffco students are not allowed to wear clothing that relates to drugs, sex, or alcohol, so, why should wearing racist clothing be allowed? “I would challenge each boy who wore a shirt to reflect upon his actions. Was this a political statement or was it simply founded in immature, hateful, ignorance? Was this truly the time and place to selfishly take the attention away from the student athletes on the field, the community spirit being promoted by the cheerleaders and fans, and the pride within the stands felt for the men on the field from their parents who had traveled multiple hours to support their sons?” Not only is this a challenge for the boys to reflect upon their actions, but it is a challenge for everyone at Dakota to truly think about their actions and the reasons for them.

Wow where to start.....

Message of hate??? It's a shirt of a part of the U.S. government. What is hateful about the Border Patrol? We live in strange times I guess.

Negative vibes in the school??? What???

“While we want all students to Live, Love, Learn, and Leave A Legacy, we collectively – students, staff, and parents – should seek to ensure the actions we bring forth daily are those of honor and integrity and include a foundation of positive support, caring, and compassion for one another.

No wonder our schools are in such sad shape,learning gets demoted to third priority in a school. Why am I not shocked. I'm sure they are being prepared well for the loving world outside the school doors.

“It was offensive because I think that it’s a pretty touchy subject. I mean my boyfriend is Mexican, so to me that is definitely a hate crime,”

Hmmm, stretching on that one. I assume the Mexican boyfriend is a legal alien or they would have been described as a Hispanic American. Since when did implementing the laws of our nation regarding immigration become a "hate crime"?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join