It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just slammed the Sun?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
I just downloaded the GIF and it seems they may have edited that one too...can anyone confirm? I just watched it several times and saw nothing

Thats because the original gif is the 2nd Oct and the one
you d/loaded is the 3rd Oct.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhageBTW, here's what a "normal" sized comet looks like in the C2 imager.

Comet Machholz. It'll be around again next year. Maybe it will be visible to the naked eye this time.

edit on 10/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

This looks bigger than the one that impacted and, from what i can find, is only a few km wide. i can see now that this object is unlikely to have been of earth-like proportions.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Sorry, That was my fault.

I was tossing football with my kid and told him to go long.

Guess I don't know my own strength!

Sorry for the Rukus.

You don't think NASA will be mad do you???

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waratah

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
I just downloaded the GIF and it seems they may have edited that one too...can anyone confirm? I just watched it several times and saw nothing

Thats because the original gif is the 2nd Oct and the one
you d/loaded is the 3rd Oct.

Just for you, just since you seemed to miss it being posted in this thread the past 5 or 6 times, the OP video shows us that the footage from NASA and the Military is missing the data from approx. 0800 to 1300!!!

Yes, the feeds are live so if you go look at it you're seeing it in real time, however there was editing of the footage before it was released on the NASA and Military sites.

Do i need to repeat this on every page?
edit on 10/3/11 by djz3ro because: to fix my spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

To me, this is one of the best replies on this thread. I like the way you think. It's so easy to get carried along with all this, and miss the important things. Bravo...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

I honestly don't know how to read these satellite images but it's fairly obvious that SOMETHING huge hit the Sun a couple of hours ago.

Being the suspicious person that I am (thanks ATS) do you suppose that was Elenin? Or Comet 2005YU? That wasn't a teeny tiny 'comet'. Like the guy says, that was friggin' Earth-sized!

Does NASA really edit out their videos like this YT-er is suggesting? Wouldn't they realize people grab them 24 hours a day then upload them? So what's the point of editing them out (if they do)? They'd just calling more attention to themselves.

I don't know about the goings-on with the no-tell NASA boys but I thought this was worth sharing

Comment please.

lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil
(visit the link for the full news article)

Whatever it was we better hope there wasnt any iron in that thing because stars can't convert iron and our sun will start going supernova. Iron in a star is baaaad juju.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Pluto? More like Jupiter sized dude. You could literally fit thousands of Plutos' inside our Sun - it is that big.

Whatever this was, it was focking HUGE. Interesting few days should be coming geo-activity wise.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

spaceweather.com...

Near Earth Asteroids
Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time.

On October 4, 2011 there were 1250 potentially hazardous asteroids.

Recent & Upcoming Earth-asteroid encounters:
Asteroid
Date(UT)

Miss Distance

Mag.

Size
2011 SO5
Sep 29

5.5 LD

--

34 m
2011 SM173
Sep 30

0.8 LD

--

12 m
2011 TP
Oct 4

7.4 LD

--

23 m
2002 AG29
Oct 9

77.1 LD

--

1.0 km
2011 SE97
Oct 12

7.9 LD

--

50 m
2011 SS25
Oct 12

69.3 LD

--

1.1 km
2000 OJ8
Oct 13

49.8 LD

--

2.4 km
2009 TM8
Oct 17

0.9 LD

--

8 m
2011 FZ2
Nov 7

75.9 LD

--

1.6 km
2005 YU55
Nov 8

0.8 LD

--

175 m
1994 CK1
Nov 16

68.8 LD

--

1.5 km
1996 FG3
Nov 23

39.5 LD

--

1.1 km
2003 WM7
Dec 9

47.6 LD

--

1.5 km
1999 XP35
Dec 20

77.5 LD

--

1.0 km
Notes: LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon. 1 LD also equals 0.00256 AU. MAG is the visual magnitude of the asteroid on the date of closest approach.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

I honestly don't know how to read these satellite images but it's fairly obvious that SOMETHING huge hit the Sun a couple of hours ago.

Being the suspicious person that I am (thanks ATS) do you suppose that was Elenin? Or Comet 2005YU? That wasn't a teeny tiny 'comet'. Like the guy says, that was friggin' Earth-sized!

Does NASA really edit out their videos like this YT-er is suggesting? Wouldn't they realize people grab them 24 hours a day then upload them? So what's the point of editing them out (if they do)? They'd just calling more attention to themselves.

I don't know about the goings-on with the no-tell NASA boys but I thought this was worth sharing

Comment please.

lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil
(visit the link for the full news article)

...PLUS whatever it was, obviously withstood the heat, radiation etc. that would destroy most every material we know of, well before it hit the sun !!!!!

..."The Sun's outer visible layer is called the photosphere and has a temperature of 6,000°C (11,000°F)."...

source: temp of sun surface
edit on 3-10-2011 by eNaR because: just for the fun of it !

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What I dont understand is how anything could ever hit, or make contact, with the sun. With the sun being as hot as it is, wouldnt ANY object be totally decimated from the extreme heat before ever coming in contact with the sun?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Here's a very good video!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
What I dont understand is how anything could ever hit, or make contact, with the sun. With the sun being as hot as it is, wouldnt ANY object be totally decimated from the extreme heat before ever coming in contact with the sun?

Not if it was a planet the size of jupiter. A planet with sufficient mass could bust through the corona easily.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Even after 15 extraordinary pages of intriguing posts...I still can't wrap my brain around it.

I'm just totally amazed that this isn't the lead story and visual on every MSM.....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Not if it was a planet the size of jupiter. A planet with sufficient mass could bust through the corona easily.

....Absolutely, but a body made of whatever it is Jupiter consists of would break apart at the speed that whatever was travelling at !

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You are correct !!

..."The Sun's outer visible layer is called the photosphere and has a temperature of 6,000°C (11,000°F)."...

source: all about the SUN
edit on 3-10-2011 by eNaR because: because

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Aliens fired a planetary size missile at the sun to trigger the early release of a solar flare that would otherwise have burst out--as the sun rotated--sending the flare directly towards earth. NASA has a deal with the Aliens, they help protect earth...so NASA deletes the frames from the pics to hide the obvious Alien involvement.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DRAZIW
Aliens fired a planetary size missile at the sun to trigger the early release of a solar flare that would otherwise have burst out--as the sun rotated--sending the flare directly towards earth. NASA has a deal with the Aliens, they help protect earth...so NASA deletes the frames from the pics to hide the obvious Alien involvement.

Well....they must have crappy aim, it's heading towards us.....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Care to cite any sources to substantiate this claim?:

....we better hope there wasnt any iron in that thing because stars can't convert iron and our sun will start going supernova.

Because, a bit of easy research seems to refute it. Would be interesting to see what sources assert this, because....

....Firstly, the scientific and mathematical/physics models of star life cycles show conclusively that a star with the mass of our Sun cannot supernova. Not even a "regular", smaller nova, either. It will, as it nears it's end of life, expand into red giant size, gradually engulfing out to about the orbit of Mars...then, after another number of millions of years, will exhaust its supply of fuel, and collapse to a dwarf size, in the "white" spectrum:

Even as a "white dwarf", it is not immune to death. The fusion reactions will cease, eventually...becoming a "black dwarf".

Further reading: Life Cycle of the Sun

Although, of course, the vast majority of the mass of the Sun consists of hydrogen, it does have trace amounts of heavier elements, including iron, in its composition:

The Sun is a Population I, or heavy element-rich, star.....

(note) - In astronomical sciences, the term heavy elements (or metals) refers to all elements except hydrogen and helium.

Wiki source, quick and easy, to the rescue

See the values in the table.

Oxygen 0.77%
Carbon 0.29%
Iron 0.16%
Neon 0.12%
Nitrogen 0.09%
Silicon 0.07%
Magnesium 0.05%
Sulfur 0.04%

When you consider the sheer size, it would require a significant amount of added mass introduced externally, of any element or combination of elements, to make a difference enough to upset the Sun's equilibrium.

edit on Mon 3 October 2011 by ProudBird because: Spell...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by EleNoN
(how'd I do?)

>>
To tell you the truth I don't know why such people hover on a conspiracy website at all, other than to feed their egos.

>>

Wait..you are saying people "like Phage" are feeding their egos...but nut-cases who spread lies about the world coming to an end and spread and write lies IN ALL CAPS almost on a daily basis here are NOT feeding their egos?

85% of the postings here (IMO) are made for exactly that reason: To troll around by spreading lies and fear and feeding the egos of some basement-dwelling conspiracy nut who gets his only kick from writing on a forum like this to gullible people. THIS is feeding egos as good as it gets.
edit on 3-10-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

This happen to make the rounds last night and many people (albeit, novices) didn't and don't know what to make of it.
I personally posted it because to me, aka: novice, looked beyond impressive.

I can only speak for myself and, I am not about spreading lies or fears as you said rather I try to investigate all possibilities before I close in on one. And part of the problem I have with more stern members on ATS is: they seem to lack the ability to explore. They're more auto-reflective and quickly refer back to what was once thought.

I don't know about others but my world is rapidly changing. The things I thought I knew hardly even apply now-a-days.
So please, let up a little. This is a multi forum. Not a science class. We're all not as intense and serious and stern as some other posters.

And nothing for nothing, 'the world coming to an end' didn't start here my friend. Take that up with your local religious leaders! We're just the environmental bi-products. Left overs...if you will!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Someone was trying to explain it to me this way. And of course, it's just another theory but, when a comet gets close to the Sun, it sort of has the same effect as a tiny drop of water has to a scolding hot frying pan.
Another words...a tiny drop has an enormous effect.

When someone breaks it down like that, using kindergartner pictograms, I can better visualize it and then start to process it

Caveat: I am not saying that this is what happened yesterday but I s'pose we can use that imagery for all sun-grazers, right Phage?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join