It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Solar Storm! Widespread POWER OUTAGES 11 cities & 11 million ppl affected as of 12am Sep 26

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Is there another storm going on right now?

My wireless has been horrendous over the past 48 hours "during this solar activity" and worst than ever right about now aughhh its doing my head in,

Can someone fill me in on "how" all this effects wireless broadband i'm sure somebody mentioned it on this thread somewhere, oh and can somebody point me to somewhere where i can monitor these storm my self online etc?

I feel like doing some learnings. thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
imageshare.web.id...
fishy

edit on 27-9-2011 by SHERJIL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chuan
How is this not related to ELEnin? From what I understand and from what I read it caused the sun to be more active, releasing more flares and of a higher class, this doesn't sound like anything hard to believe for me.

It's aligned tomorrow as well, and the next day from what I can see off of JPL and we'll see if the effects get bigger or diminish, then you can say it wasn't this and it was that, etc.

I do hope these people get their power back promptly, god what I would do without internet...

It's hard to believe because Elnin is only 4km across...

It's even harder to believe because Elnin disintegrated over a week ago..!!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

There was an uptick in activity but it wouldn't have any effect on your wireless unless you're on a satellite system, in which case it could very likely have an effect.

There are all kinds of things to monitor depending on how much detail you want but for a basic idea of what's going on you can use this:
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

The data there is based on magnetograms like this:
geomag.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
LOL well for one since I live in PA there is no Pennsylvania, PA as stated in the OP. Also there are no power outages in PA either. Once again another BS post.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I was searching online and I can't find some of these places on your list as having any power outage? Just curious where you found that info.?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Morning

Appreciated Phage, thank you very much indeed

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

hey ATSers! i am from Bangalore, India.. Bangalore is supposed to be cool till December, but since 3 days the temperature here is quite high... the weather is HOT.. humidity is high.. i have a strong feeling that something bad is gonna happen...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mudbeed

Originally posted by ignant
Obama and top NASA staff as well as other elite nwo leaders will allegedly be @ Denver on the 27th most likely hiding underground.

OMg TH3 SH!+ IZ Heer!!!

I think I will make siren noises to alert everyone

WeeeeOooooo WeeeeeOoooooo

Haha, I'm probably in the minority here, but I got a good chuckle out of that. I really don't care what happens...as long as it is something I myself can not prevent with the help of EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!!! Suppose every outlandish claim came true in 15 minutes, Nibiru, Elenin causing one side of the Earth to cook up while the other side is stricken with riots and violence only to be squashed by a hail of meteors/comets/asteroids/etc., nuclear war, nuclear meltdowns...freak weather, earthquakes and volcanoes...I mean really? What in the hell am I or is anybody else going to do about it? I'll get the loves of my life and I'll squeeze them until it's over, one way or the other. All of that being said, I love ATS, not so much for the fear mongering and ridiculousness that comes with many threads, but for the very interesting subject matter, and sources. I've loved these threads about the Solar Activity and since joining ATS over a year ago during my deployment, SOHO's site has become one of MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE things on the internet. Just amazing to press play and watch that stuff. ATS has peaked many interests I once had as a youngster that have since passed me by. So to all of you posters who provide very strong, in some cases very convincing arguments, and to those posters who come up with the ABSOLUTE best science fiction theories, and the posters who just share AMAZING factual information that I have never before seen or heard of, THANK YOU for giving me something to do on many, many sleepless nights!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
BS
I run a CB radio and solar flares are good for using skip to talk to places like Japan and Australia.

I am not seeing any good skip so these solar flares are not really very strong or are not hitting earth.

Even with my foot warmer i am having problems hitting the east coast.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I asked about that much earlier today and someone posting at the time was asking her husband, a ham radio operator. He said skip was really running then. I that was like at least 10 hrs ago though.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This elenin crap is starting to give ATS a bad name, when there's a problem? OMG it must be elenin!

this is getting ridiculous

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I am pretty sure it was this thread that I said I would be watching for the aurora borealis tonight on. Well I have and they are out. Pretty much a typical night a person would expect to see the northern lights, it's clear and cold in Alaska tonight.

I saw them earlier but it wasn't that dark, I just went back out to look and they are pretty vivid. I think they look naturally occurring and not like the man made ones that are created when they *seed the clouds* as the locals say. Normally when out this spectacularly they are also audibly heard but I am too close to a hwy and a town to hear them at all.

The only thing I would say appears unusual is where they are in the sky. Generally when they are out you see them all over the sky or in a tighter defined area. Right now they are almost making a semi circle in the sky.... while the rest of the sky seems more dim that usual. Also, they don't appear to be *dancing* or waving and moving through the sky like a giant ribbon.

I wouldn't call it freaky but I would call it different and not completely typical. I would say they seem unusual but not extraordinarily so.

The time is midnight Alaska time or, 4am on the east coast of the united states.

We also had a 5.2 quake around the Rat Islands earlier which I think it out on the Aleutian Chain, but this is not so unusual either. The magnetometers seem normal enough too, that said it's time for this old woman to get some sleep.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
hey u guys, its now the 27th, and Aurora's are being reported around the globe - dare i say worldwide?

nah. but actually to list them from spaceweather.com, New York, South Dakota, Maine, Michigan, and many more, maybe widespread?

heres an aurora forecast from alaska edu: www.gi.alaska.edu...

i hope u do see some Aurora's. its already 430am where im at and i cant see the horizon well but theres a faint gold cast to the usually grey-black sky.

this one on YT looks amazing. hope to see something like that in person one day soon.. if ELEnin doesn't wipe us out first hehe.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by UnholyBones

I believe I read something yesterday on the net about this possibility, But the scientists did mention that although this was in-fact going to happen, most of it would actually miss the earth, and we would only begetting hit by a small percentage of the flare

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by raceway40

Also there are no power outages in PA either. Once again another BS post.

I had an outage, just had to change the kitchen light bulb

My guess any outages are still in the Bloomsburg area from the recent flooding. Not related to anything the OP stated.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
There has been no unusual geomagnetic activity for days. There has been no storm.
The arrival of the CME occurred about 5 hours ago. It is of low density and unlikely to produce much geomagnetic activity.

I was talking about conditions at the time and previously.

The solar wind now has low density but but fairly high velocity. That isn't what's causing the geomagnetic activity.
What is causing it is the fact ...

reply to post by Chuan

The activity seen now is due to a CME which occurred several days ago.

Electrical and electronic devices are not affected by CMEs or geomagnetic storms. Only long conductors (powerlines, pipelines) are affected by the fluctuations of the magnetic field. Unless the devices are plugged in and turned on at the time, the resulting power surges cannot affect them.

Perhaps you can explain how a "massive solar storm" can cause power outages.

I don't know much about CME events or geomagnetic storms, but honestly, the last several posts of yours on this thread sound like alot of double talking to me phage.
"There has been no unusual geomagnetic activity..."
What does your signature say?

edit on 27-9-2011 by twitchy because: I hate double talkers

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinaed

It's been years since I've seen the northern lights - but I had no idea until I read your post that they could be audible! Thanks for piquing my interest.

I did a little research and found this article from the Alaska Science Forum

Before scientists discovered that the northern lights were caused by charged particles from the sun colliding with gases in the earth's atmosphere, people were left to their imaginations to explain the dancing lights in the sky.

The Eskimos of Labrador, Canada, believed the aurora to be the light of torches of spirits illuminating a pathway to heaven for souls of people "who have died a voluntary or violent death," according to Canadian Anthropologist Ernest Hawkes, who published an account in 1916. The Labrador Eskimos believed spirits who lit the torches could be seen in the aurora kicking around a walrus skull in a game like soccer.

Hawkes added: "The whistling crackling noise which sometimes accompanies the aurora is the voices of these spirits trying to communicate with the people of the earth. They should always be answered in a whispering voice."

I also discovered that some scientists claim that reports of sounds are impossible, while others disagree, such as this guy, from the same source:

Tom Hallinan, a professor of geophysics at the Geophysical Institute, has studied the aurora for decades. He said he's heard the aurora and has talked to many others who have."There's something going on," Hallinan said of the aurora's whisper. "It's scientifically unreasonable, yet people do hear it."

Hallinan says the thin air of the ionosphere--where the aurora dances from 60 to about 200 miles above the earth's surface--can't carry sound waves. Even if it could, Hallinan says, we're so far away that it would take several minutes for the sound to reach us.

Hallinan suggests a few possible explanations for auroral noise. He said the brain may sense electromagnetic waves from the aurora and somehow convert them to sound. Another theory is that electrical currents induced on the ground by the aurora (which also corrode the trans-Alaska oil pipeline) may create an audible electrical discharge from nearby objects such as spruce trees or buildings.

I found that idea quite interesting, our brains converting electromagnetic waves - maybe that's why some people hear things that other people don't..?

And finally, I went to utube to see if I could actually hear some of this. I had a hard time finding one, because I discovered there is a band called aurora boreolis. But here I found some sounds - very fascinating!! I wish there was less talking on this clip.
(I hope I embedded that correctly, 1st try for me.)

I also did not know that the electrical currents induced corrode the pipeline. Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
FYI - Jersey also had power cuts yesterday

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm from Northern Illinois, just south of Chicago, and we had a power outage over the weekend. My cellphone has been on the fritz as well, but all is well as of now..besides for the stupid storms that have been circling the area for the past few days.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join