It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Solar Storm! Widespread POWER OUTAGES 11 cities & 11 million ppl affected as of 12am Sep 26

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MojoCeltica

He changed the title.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Still waiting for him to umm...downgrade that 'MASSIVE' word.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
To many pages to read, I had to go out for minute, I don't know if anyone has mentoned the alighnment that is suppose to occur with Mercury and Eilein, I think tomorrow?

Mercury is small I don't see how would have much effect, but it is close to Sun.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have a feeling that the power is out in 10 to 15 cities around the world at even given time, every single day of the year. Power goes out. It happens. It's a big planet.

Elenin is a comet, and has nothing to do with solar flares. Why even connect the two?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MojoCeltica
reply to post by aaron2209

He said "widespread" not "worldwide".

It now says "widespread". As others have noted it originally claimed "Worldwide" and was nothing but a sensationalist thread title.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
MASSIVE STORMY DAY on the Sun as usual. Even a quiet day there is like bazillion World War Three's down here. I'm sure glad about that as otherwise, it might be kind of cold. I don't mind being without "power" as long as the "heat" is on.

Cool link to Power outages though. Thank you for that. I checked and it seems that out of 10 million people in our general area anywhere from 0 to 1 are without power today. Oh Snap, thats MEEEE !!!(click)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ignant
[more

Perhaps you can explain how a "massive solar storm" can cause a power failure about twelve hours after it occurs on a part of the planet that is facing away from the Sun.

i believe the question contains the answer on that one

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Not a damn thing here. I presume you meant last midnight and not the upcoming midnight.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
oh, no's!

"A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field at approximately 12:15 UT on Sept. 26th. The impact caused significant ground currents in Norway. Also, the Goddard Space Weather Lab reports a "strong compression of Earth's magnetosphere. Simulations indicate that solar wind plasma [has penetrated] close to the geosynchronous orbit starting at 13:00UT."

www.spaceweather.com...

omgosh, it says solar activity not gm5 storms

Originally posted by aaron2209

Originally posted by MojoCeltica
reply to post by aaron2209

He said "widespread" not "worldwide".

It now says "widespread". As others have noted it originally claimed "Worldwide" and was nothing but a sensationalist thread title.

absolutely! he just changed it! the thread title is no longer sensationalist thread since he just changed one world. but the author is a blatant sensationalist. omgggg

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I live in Canada. What's your deal? Power is fine.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
absolutely! he just changed it! the thread title is no longer sensationalist thread since he just changed one world. but the author is a blatant sensationalist. omgggg

Ummm ok. I didn't read the whole thread but i'm guessing you got some grief throughout.

I was simply replying because others were questioning my original comment on page 1 and since I can not now edit it, I thought I would clarify.

Carry on.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

My Mother had a Caddy a couple years ago. She did not drive a lot but at least 5 or 6 times a week. The battery was always going dead...seems the computers in the new cars never shut down completly or at least that is what the dealer told her. Too many gadgets for the battery to power if its not driven on a regular bases for some distance. She got rid of it.

OP...I looked at your link and saw some outages but all had explanations...EX-Truck hangs on power line crossing the road and tore pole down in AZ...PA-some flooding issues early in the month that affected around 7 people total....A power outage in Diamond Back game that opposition Coach blamed as suspicious...they went on to lose the game. As for the foreign countries you listed the link did not supply any info on them. Power grids in some countries are not very relaiable as it is especially when lots of consumption going on like AC use.

Do not believe this is caused by solar wind as it is charged particles of electrons and protons...they do create geomagnetic storms which in turn cause havoc on the grid but not enough reports to form any opinions on. Just the cry of wolf again.

Explains some what

Also, GLP is down, where we have been discussing this. The Magnetoshpere and earth's magnetic field has been bombarded by the sun all day, incuding a CME around midday.

edit on 9/26/2011 by DJMSN because: add

edit on 9/26/2011 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/26/2011 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I checked out the recommended spaceweather.com - very cool!! Can anyone explain what the high k-index means? I'm totally unfamiliar with this. I tried to research it and found this site: www.swpc.noaa.gov... . If you look at the link, you see that the k-index has hit the top of the chart a few times between yesterday and today. Wikipedia had some information, but I couldn't tell if this K-index was worrying or not...? And since the chart maxes out, how do you know if it has gone wayyyy out of range??

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ovumcranium

The chart did not max out. The estimated planetary K index reached 8. The K index at Boulder reached 6.
The maximum is 9.

The K index is and indication of the amount of geomagnetic activity. 6 is consider a moderate level.

edit on 9/26/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ovumcranium

I believe it's a measurement of the temperature in Kelvins of the plasma/ionospheric layer of our atmosphere... Unless your power goes out or electronics start malfunctioning, I wouldn't worry too much but the right CME could ruin our day at any time, so don't get too dependant on 'the grid'.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209

Originally posted by ignant

Ummm ok. I didn't read the whole thread but i'm guessing you got some grief throughout.

I was simply replying because others were questioning my original comment on page 1 and since I can not now edit it, I thought I would clarify.

Carry on.

yea i dont believe any of us can change our titles or content after 4 hrs of the originating post, except mods/admins.

carry on!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

You Ignant.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I really think its high time we gathered up every single Elnin Doomsday nut, put them all on a massive rocket ship and send them out on a one-way trip to the remains of the comet, where they can then be safely detonated from here on earth.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by demetriandlucy
solar winds knocked down power lines? canada

what the hell is going on

They can fix them. West Coast/Fraser Valley has power. It was just a steady really strong wind from the CME.
I posted a video on that yesterday that said the CME would hit today and it did.

Chili has 9 million without power, and I don't know exactly what happened there.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Errr can you just explain to me how a CME in space, hitting the magnetosphere can cause wind down here on the ground.. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation I haven't heard of yet, that you'll be able to fill me in on..

The only thing I think we need to worry about down here as a result of the CME's that can do real damage on the ground is Increased Earthquakes. As the magnetic field of the earth is interrupted, it may effect the mostly iron core of the planet and that disruption could send shock waves up into yhr continental plates and cause some horrific EQ's.

At least the EQ theory is plausible, unlike the solar winds knocking over power lines...

edit on 9/27/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
imageshare.web.id...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

something is not right please check fast .....

not that i fully understand but i signed up just to post this hahaha have been following ATS as a guest for ages ahaha
edit on 27-9-2011 by SHERJIL because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2011 by SHERJIL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join