It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin breaking apart...

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

One thing to think about with respect to the smaller fragments is the fact that a very large quantity of smaller fragments can also have a devastating impact. Even though those smaller fragments vaporize in our atmosphere and never reach the surface, the aggregate effect of a large quantity of atmospheric entry events can be the heating the planet's atmosphere. As we've seen with global climate change, even small changes in our climate system can have catastrophic effects.

The small changes the school of global warming site are small LONG TERM climate changes, indicating a trend. Very short period climate changes quickly dissipate. I remember during Gulf War One and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I heard even the renown and respected Carl Sagan say that if all of the Kuwaiti oil wells were set ablaze it could have devastating global climate implications, yet it did not. The 1950's nuclear & hydrogen bomb testing did not alter global weather. Earth is subjected to annual meteor showers that don't effect the weather. Mt. Saint Helen and that Indonesian volcanic eruption (KRAKATAU (1883)) changed the short term weather more than things burning up below or in the atmosphere. I remember 1983, it was a relatively cool summer temperature wise where I lived.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
IT WAS THE LAST THING ON EARTH THEY EVER SUSPECTED
So the comet is no threat huh?...because it is breaking up and spreading apart making a larger distribution of gasses and cometary particles hmmm?

Um we still have to pass through the tail of the comet and if you need a refresher here is what I remember from 1984! Impact would be better then this creepiness LOL

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63c395f21aee.jpg[/atsimg]
I really hate Zombies!
thisdistractedglobe.com...
edit on 31-8-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz

But wait::::::what killed Elenin?
edit on 29-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

Damn you Yoko... extra DIV

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
People PLEASE!!!!!! Good GOD what idiots are out here. Its a freaking comet. And now folks think its breaking up into miniature spacecraft? Are you serious? This planet gets scarier and scarier everyday and its only because of what i read on here with the psycho delusional crap. Unbelievable.
Agreed.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck. It must be a duck.

The only true problem, is that you have a large group of people who really do not know about comets and they try to learn but get a lot of bad information. For example, if I were to move to California, I would be afraid of Earthquakes. I would probably completely freak out with the first Earthquake I experience, having never experienced one.

It's just a comet. Comets are not harbingers of death and doom and gloom. They are not messengers from the sky.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by potential_problem

Repairmen were sent.
Please stay patient, maintenance is in progress...

Just a ROFLz.

Brings back memories of the Maytag Man.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saige45

Comets are not bringers of doom, etc?

How sure are you about that?

For some reason, our very intelligent, YES, I said it, very intelligent ancestors knew differently.

Now whether all comets are a problem, I doubt, but some.......I am quite sure can be more than a pain in the neck. Our forebears knew something we have chosen to ignore, or been denied knowledge of. Perhaps our collective memory gives us a quick kick in the recall department every so often?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
reply to post by saige45

The sad thing is that a basic science book for a few bucks would answer all your questions.

There is still a difference whether ignorant, uneducated people and ancestors without knowledge THINK that comets "bring doom" - as opposed to the FACT that "comets bring doom".

People BELIEVING this (today and in the past) STILL does not make it a fact - it just proves that people in 1000s of years are STILL ignorant and supersticious.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandipants
posted on 30-8-2011 @ 11:28 PM this post

So Elenin is "supposedly" breaking up, which i understand to be a pretty common thing for comets to do at perihelion. However i decided to look into other observed comets that have done the same thing, and i found this...

www.space.com...

Comet 73P/Schwassmann–Wachmann is said to be "no more than about two-tenths of a mile in diameter" before its break-up in 1995. So my big question is why, being a considerably small comet, (nucleus) would it get brighter upon disintegration instead of dimmer, as in the case of elenin....or so they say. Is there something here that were not seeing? I have my personal beliefs on comet elenin and Nibiru and don't wanna waste my time to share them, especially on this particular thread, however i did find it interesting that comet elenin (being app. 3-5 km in diameter) is becoming dimmer in light mag as it breaks up whereas 73P increased in brightness times 100s.
Also...its not a f***ing spaceship...honestly.

"This was a huge surprise, because the comet didn't get any closer to Earth than 122 million miles and was not expected to get much brighter than twelfth magnitude. Yet, here it was, somehow having increased its brightness by many hundreds of times!"
www.space.com...

www.space.com...
edit on 31-8-2011 by Vandipants because: (no reason given)

Comet Elenin did get brighter when it broke up but then dimmed. This is a very accurate description of the event. Although noone has personally witnessed Elenin breaking up and leaving little baby comlets, the observation of this sudden brightening followed by a slow dimming alludes to a break up.

Here is why. Imagine for a second what is happening to the comet. The comet is passing close to the sun and becomming superheated because of it's relative distance. When the comet splits into multiple parts, you have now increased the surface area that is affected by the distance to the sun. What is a witness in brightening is the sudden superheating occuring amongst these newly exposed surfaces (imagine taking a single match and lighting it, now add about 6 or 7 additional matches and light them at the same time from the original match, these matches light up brighter than the singular match). Since the surface area exposed is greater than the original exposed surface area, the resulting outgassings cause more material to be blown away at a greater rate (think of it like burning fuel in your car, if you continue at a constanst speed you have a constant usage of fuel, but as you accelerate and push your car faster, you burn fuel at a faster rate). This then causes the comet to *burn out* faster than it would have originally, therefore, dimming.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz

But wait::::::what killed Elenin?
edit on 29-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

Damn you Yoko...

Heavens to Betsy! what ever will planet X hide behind now?????? But wait::::::what killed Elenin?

everybody got it but you!!! try again another day Pal!!
edit on 31-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
reply to post by saige45

For some reason, our very intelligent, YES, I said it, very intelligent ancestors knew differently.

Now whether all comets are a problem, I doubt, but some.......I am quite sure can be more than a pain in the neck. Our forebears knew something we have chosen to ignore, or been denied knowledge of. Perhaps our collective memory gives us a quick kick in the recall department every so often?
I never said that our ancestors were not intelligent. Far from it, they are the reason that we are where we are today. Everything that we see around us is a result of what has happened in the past.

That being said, those same intelligent ancestors deified fire because they thought it was magical and not a chemical reaction.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

One thing's for sure. The pics and videos supposedly showing the "comet" are obviously just pics of Chinese Lanterns.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

Well... That was unexpected, very cool though. I wonder how big the fragments are and if anything will make it here. It will be interesting to see anyways.

E

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Leo must be devastated.

The short lived comet.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I’m just glad we got a bunch of dedicated astronomers checking out “incoming” space stuff.

AND, I believe they should be compensated (amateur astronomers included) when they find stuff.

I mean all the money the government waste in crap...this science can really save the planet.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Seriously, I don't trust any sort of maths that breaks appart when you try to consider infinity and zero.

Certain basic arithmetic functions(namely multiplication and division) cannot work with "infinity" or "zero". Math handles them often, routinely, and easily.

The reason for this failure of some arithmetic functions in dealing with Zero and Infinity is because those functions are for working with numbers. "Zero" is not a number, it is an abstract concept. A symbol representing "nothing". "Infinity" is not a number either. It is an abstract concept, a symbol representing "all" when quantity is the context, and "forever" if distance or time is the context, etc.

Calculus, Trig, and other "higher" maths use Zero and Infinity all the time, successfully.

Incidentally, if you think Zero and Infinity are strange, take a look at the "irrational" number "i". It stands for the Square Root of -1, which is totally freaking impossible...or irrational.

It just occurred to me that I may be off topic. So......these supposed pics of the comet in this thread are just pics of Chinese Lanterns, of which there is an apparent infinite supply.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Its a significant event. What caused it to break this time around since this
geezer has been coming around our neighbourhodd every 3000 yrs or so.
Im quite sure there is more to this than just a chance happening

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with you people? Did anyone even read the article? There's zero proof that Elenin broke up. Some dude said it got dimmer so it must be gone huh!? When people bring "evidence" like this the "skeptics" tear it apart. But oh sure it passes for solid evidence the other way around huh?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
I still don't know where people are getting their information for the orbital period of Comet Elenin.

Given the orbital eccentricity of this object, its orbital period is not a fixed value, because it is frequently perturbed by the gravity of the planets. Near perihelion, using an August 2011 epoch, Kazuo Kino#a shows C/2010 X1 to have a heliocentric orbital period of 600,000 years, though more perturbations will occur.[22][23] For objects at such high eccentricity, the Sun's barycentric coordinates are more stable than heliocentric coordinates.[24] The orbit of a long-period comet is properly obtained when the osculating orbit is computed at an epoch after leaving the planetary region and is calculated with respect to the center of mass of the solar system. Using JPL Horizons with an observed orbital arc of 235 days, the barycentric orbital elements for epoch 2020-Jan-01 generate a semi-major axis of 518 AU and a period of approximately 11,800 years.[4]

Source

Nope, nope. 3000 is not defined there. Maybe it's somewhere else.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Puresilence

I don't actually believe that anyone has stated for a *fact* that it has broken up. Currently the theory is that the comet has broken up based upon emperical observations of Comet Elenin and compared with other bodies that exhibited the same behaviour.

-saige-

edit on 31-8-2011 by saige45 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by saige45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

From everything I heard about Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), this is probably the first time it ventured toward the Sun. You may be confusing the "3000 year" idea with those people who tried to connect (or even equate) C/2010 X1 to Nibiru.

Besides, it is not that unusual for a comet to break up. Another comet was observed to do the same just last year.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join