It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin breaking apart...

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh well. Now that Eleinin isn't going to destroy the world, I suppose we'll have to wait for that next comet -- C/2011 L4 -- that's supposed to come to the inner solar system and potentially be visible from Earth in March of 2013 (I mean, as long as HAARP gets its Nibiru-deflecting ray going by December 2012, so we're still here to see that comet
).

Comet C/2011 L4

Existing ATS Thread on C/2011 L4

edit on 8/31/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus
Does anyone else find it odd that this comet comes around every 3000-something years and it just happens to "break apart" while it's within observable distance of the Earth... actually, I thought it was confirmed that there were "multiple" objects inbound with Elenin... hmmm
edit on 29-8-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

Rumours of a manned mission to Elenin, hidden technology (often speculated about over the years online) used to get there in under an hour, a multi millennia old space body, suddenly fractures into multiple pieces just as it get into view, a reported RF signal received from Elenin's direction (which to my ears sounds like voices with an American accent) all adds up to an interesting, if speculatory mystery.

Could it be that the RF signal that was picked up, presumably in the calibration phase of the recommissioning of the UC array (for SETI), was in fact a transmission from the American team that was sent to blow the comet (or whatever it is if not a comet) to bits, back to mission control?

Yes mate, i do find it odd.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

If I remember correctly, many of the Zombie appocalypse movies have something to do with Comets too...

I think I remember there being a comet mentioned in Daqwn of the Dead...

Dude, it's a comet...!!

Thats all it is.. Anything that enters our atmosphere as we pass through the debris, will burn up... (including microbes)...lol

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus
Does anyone else find it odd that this comet comes around every 3000-something years and it just happens to "break apart" while it's within observable distance of the Earth... actually, I thought it was confirmed that there were "multiple" objects inbound with Elenin... hmmm

Given that it's never actually come around" earth before at all...EVER, yeah - I find it amazing that anyone thinks it comes around every 3000 years!!

edit on 31-8-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Yeah -- I'm not sure exactly where this "3000 year" stuff is coming from. All I can think of is that people are confusing Elenin with the Nibiru myth.

As you mentioned, from what is known about Elenin, this is almost certainly the first time it ever came into the inner solar system. Also, why are so many people shocked that Elenin broke up? Granted, it may have been unexpected, but it's not like that is totally unheard for a comet to do that. This is not the first time a comet has broken up. It happens occasionally.

edit on 8/31/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
All i know is that ALL of this comet/Niburu crap and 2012 is the biggest junk and folks on here (and of course 12 year old kids) are eating this stuff up. Unreal that folks are just that freaking DUMB.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Cant' agree with the first half of your post sorry - there are much sillier things on ATS than Elenin - it does exist and comets/asteroids/meteors have and do hit earth all the time.

ther are things on here that have much less basis than Elenin.

nibiru is one of them...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Yeah, the Bible Code even says the comet will break apart
and that a fragment of it will hit earth.

The Virgin Mary also says the same thing about 30 years ago.

If you believe in those things.

Either way, it's interesting!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
Chronicles of Riddick comes to mind, as well as the new Battle L.A.. Let us all just hope this isn't a Beachhead Offensive...and if it is...well lets just say I will have a 12 ga. welcome for em.

I haven't read the link, but does it mention why it broke up? Possibly because of it's nearing our gravity well or something else? Maybe NASA did have a reason for those employee emergency prep emails? I would pay attention to any and all military movement in the next 2 months...Thanks Op.

Seems to be because of solar heat.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

What caused it to break this time around since this
geezer has been coming around our neighbourhodd every 3000 yrs or so.

No, it hasn't. C/2010 X1 Elenin is a new arrival from the Oort Cloud, where it will have been perturbed by a passing star hundreds of thousands (or maybe even millions) of years ago. It has never had a 3000 year orbit. That figure comes from idiots who have tried to associate this comet with the mythical Nibiru.

The orbital period of C/2010 X1 Elenin after it leaves the planetary region of the Solar System would have been around 11800 years (due mainly to gravitational perturbations by Saturn and Jupiter). However, if the comet is indeed disintegrating, then there will probably be nothing left to make another return in the distant future.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Rumours of a manned mission to Elenin, hidden technology (often speculated about over the years online) used to get there in under an hour, a multi millennia old space body, suddenly fractures into multiple pieces just as it get into view, a reported RF signal received from Elenin's direction (which to my ears sounds like voices with an American accent) all adds up to an interesting, if speculatory mystery.

There are no rumors of a manned mission to Elenin. There is someone claiming to be a US naval pilot claiming it as a fact on a BBS. He also claims that the US navy has sent men to the distant stars. He says a number of other bizarre things, but the point is they are not rumors, they are personal claims. Not one of his claims has been backed up by anyone else, and most of them have been shown to be highly improbable or wrong. The report of the "RF signal" was made by "Starviewer Team," a known hoaxer. Their claim has been thoroughly debunked. It all adds up to overly credulous people being played by con artists.

Could it be that the RF signal that was picked up, presumably in the calibration phase of the recommissioning of the UC array (for SETI), was in fact a transmission from the American team that was sent to blow the comet (or whatever it is if not a comet) to bits, back to mission control?

No, because if the US navy is sending spacecraft to other stars, they wouldn't be communicating by radio. Radio waves would take years to reach a starship exploring another star. If you're going to believe part of "bluecoat's" ridiculous story, believe all of it.

I find it rather sad. Is critical thinking dead?
edit on 1-9-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

I know you used "presumably" but isn't this a bit of high speculation until you find out for sure that the array is even capable of picking up signals at this time?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
...Rumours of a manned mission to Elenin, hidden technology (often speculated about over the years online) used to get there in under an hour, a multi millennia old space body, suddenly fractures into multiple pieces just as it get into view, a reported RF signal received from Elenin's direction (which to my ears sounds like voices with an American accent) all adds up to an interesting, if speculatory mystery....

One guy online has made this claim, and had nothing to substantiate that claim. That's not enough for me to call it a rumor.

If you believe this guy enough to put some stock into what he is saying, then perhaps you should give some credence to EVERY person on the internet who has claimed something. There was a guy I read online one time who said that those little ceramic garden gnomes (red pointy hat, beard, and all) were actually aliens hiding in plain sight. He had nothing else to back up that claim except his word on it.

Heck, while you're at it, perhaps you should give some credence to the idea that Elenin is simply a very normal and unremarkable comet that is not going to harm the Earth (and never was), and in fact would have probably been extremely unspectacular as seen from Earth with the naked eye, if it could have even been seen at all....

...I read somewhere online that someone said this was true.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

There was a guy I read online one time who said that those little ceramic garden gnomes (red pointy hat, beard, and all) were actually aliens hiding in plain sight. He had nothing else to back up that claim except his word on it.

Well we now have video proof of this. This gnome talks and everything.

-saige-

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by saige45

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck. It must be a duck.

The only true problem, is that you have a large group of people who really do not know about comets and they try to learn but get a lot of bad information. For example, if I were to move to California, I would be afraid of Earthquakes. I would probably completely freak out with the first Earthquake I experience, having never experienced one.

It's just a comet. Comets are not harbingers of death and doom and gloom. They are not messengers from the sky.

-saige-

Interesting giving the fact that not every duck is of the same species or behaves in the same fashion; some ducks cannot even Quack!

As for comets, well I am sorry you cannot open your mind, one comet is not the same as another and none are related unless of course they come from the same formation (such as fragmentation). Given the fact it was only a few seasons ago the entire world used to believe that comets were nothing but ice-balls I think it best to keep your ducks in a row; unless of course you still believe the ice-ball theory.

As far as I can tell none of what was stated above has any basis in Truth yet you probably keep telling yourself that Donald is a real Duck!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
...As for comets, well I am sorry you cannot open your mind, one comet is not the same as another and none are related unless of course they come from the same formation (such as fragmentation)....

I wish people would stop using the phrase "you need to open your mind" to people who use science and logic to debunk unsubstantiated internet claims. As far as I can see, the close-minded people are the ones who automatically give credence to a guy on the internet who makes a claim that either cannot be backed up, or is backed up using junk-science.

It is the open minded person that will look at a claim and attempt to substantiate that claim using reputable knowledge -- knowledge that science has shown to be reputable through observation and/or experimentation with repeatable results.

There are people who say they have an open mind only because they believe wild claims they read on the internet -- and believe those internet claims OVER the claims of mainstream scientists simply because those scientist are "mainstream".

A person who automatically treats all claims on the internet as something that should be believable based solely on the fact that it goes against mainstream (and not because they did any research of their own in an attempt to substantiate those internet claims) are the ones with closed minds, in my opinion.

edit on 9/1/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I didn't read the entire thread as it is 24 pages, but just the other day I heard something on the TV about Elenin breaking apart into a really fine dust and is beleived to be something that will block out the sun, don't know how true that is, but is this a possibility? Also sorry if someone mentioned it here, I just can't take the time to read 24 pages, I don't & never did think Elenin is/was a threat, the real threat is our governments and banks and Corporations, they'll be the downfall of the Earth.
edit on 1-9-2011 by ldyserenity because: left out "AND"

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

The comet would have to be at least 3 km from you to block out the sun, (from your perspective), if it broke up into dust it would have to be in your eyes to block out the sun due to temporary blindness. Your actual milage may vary.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Comets in general do not have enough "stuff" to block out the Sun. The dust and tail associated with most comets is very thin and tenuous, and they would not block out the Sun. There is no reason to suspect that Elenin is not like most comets. In fact, it seems to be quite an average and unremarkable comet.

Elenin's nucleus is thought to be no more than 5 km wide and it will be 22 million miles away at its closest point. Even if it broke up into fine dust, that dust would be too far away from us to be noticed, relative to the Sun.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Comets in general do not have enough "stuff" to block out the Sun. The dust and tail associated with most comets is very thin and tenuous, and they would not block out the Sun. There is no reason to suspect that Elenin is not like most comets. In fact, it seems to be quite an average and unremarkable comet.

Elenin's nucleus is thought to be no more than 5 km wide and it will be 22 million miles away at its closest point. Even if it broke up into fine dust, that dust would be too far away from us to be noticed, relative to the Sun.

Cool, thanks someone who can answer my question without being a smart ass, Thank you very much, as Comets aren't my thing (which is why I didn't want to read 24 pages of replies). It seems like anybody asking a question is immediately jumped on as if we're ignorant or something here on ATS any more. I guess I should be thankful at least one person can answer without being an ass. If I could applaud you I would.

ETA: ESP. an asstard who didn't seem to read my entire comment thoroughly like the commentor above yours.

edit on 1-9-2011 by ldyserenity because: edited to add

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join