It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin breaking apart...

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by np6888
Take a look at this site and see what you think about spaceweather.com

www.godlikeproductions.com...

Also, take a look at the spaceweather.com site, on the upper right corner, and you can see that they are indeed working with NASA.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteobserver

Originally posted by DJW001
Don't you think its a bit rude to call well intentioned people "rude?"

You really think flexy123, illustronic, shamatt, annella, fluffyflufff and nenothtu are well intentioned?

You know it's funny, people like the above like to complain about all the "garbage" on ATS but at the same time don't have any trouble contributing their own...

PS - I starred and flagged the RF signal and tetrahedral spaceship threads just to piss yall off
edit on 30-8-2011 by infiniteobserver because: (no reason given)

Don't presume to know my intentions. I call it like I see it, and I see cleverer people than you giving informed and intelligent opinion. I am happy to read, and in some cases laugh at everyones opinion on this. But sometimes looking at what is most likely in the face of observations made, and experience with similar objects, comes up with a simple solution.

You may not like it is I share this simple solution and it does not correlate with your complicated one, but hey,, such is life.

My intentions are always just to share what I see, or point put dumb stuff when it is really obvious. Is that not the point of this site? Too have an open discussion with every viewpoint included?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Originally posted by infiniteobserver

Originally posted by DJW001
Don't you think its a bit rude to call well intentioned people "rude?"

You really think flexy123, illustronic, shamatt, annella, fluffyflufff and nenothtu are well intentioned?

You know it's funny, people like the above like to complain about all the "garbage" on ATS but at the same time don't have any trouble contributing their own...

PS - I starred and flagged the RF signal and tetrahedral spaceship threads just to piss yall off
edit on 30-8-2011 by infiniteobserver because: (no reason given)

Don't presume to know my intentions. I call it like I see it, and I see cleverer people than you giving informed and intelligent opinion. I am happy to read, and in some cases laugh at everyones opinion on this. But sometimes looking at what is most likely in the face of observations made, and experience with similar objects, comes up with a simple solution.

You may not like it is I share this simple solution and it does not correlate with your complicated one, but hey,, such is life.

My intentions are always just to share what I see, or point put dumb stuff when it is really obvious. Is that not the point of this site? Too have an open discussion with every viewpoint included?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So, let me get this straight:

There are several ways that a comet may disintegrate:
- Gravitationally: External forces acting on the body. Ex: Mercury's and Sol's gravity wells.
- Structurally: Density / Intra-gravitational forces can no longer keep the rubble pile intact, given the body's angular momentum and gravity of the sun.
- Thermally: Perihelion of the comet's orbit causes solar thermal effects to disrupt the structure of the body.
- Kinetically: High velocity impact from an object of sufficient size and density to disrupt the structure of the body.

I can see where the gravitational and structural disintegration scenarios may produce only shallow separation velocities of the comet fragments. The magnitude of those effects vary in a linear fashion with respect to the position of the body and its density.

On the other hand, thermal and kinetic effects are less predictable.

Thermal effects would disrupt the structure based on both the density and chemistry of the body. The density of the body could be such that the forces released by thermal interaction with the body's chemistry cause the structure to remain intact until a threshold is reached where the structure can no longer contain the ever increasing pressure generated by the chemical reaction. An analogy would be a steam explosion in a boiler. The sudden release of the internal pressure would impart additional energy to the fragments and increase the separation velocities.

It appears that there was a CME that coincided with the disappearance of the comet. While the solar wind itself would have minimal impact on any object with even minimal mass, the multi-billion ton high energy blast of a CME would have a significant kinetic effect not only on the body's structure, but the orbital characteristics of the body itself. Of course the vector of the CME impact would be the most important factor in determining the effect of the impact.

I figured I would just interject a couple of thoughts about how the comet's fragmentation could make it into a real threat to Earth. We must keep fear alive!

Dex

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
People PLEASE!!!!!! Good GOD what idiots are out here. Its a freaking comet. And now folks think its breaking up into miniature spacecraft? Are you serious? This planet gets scarier and scarier everyday and its only because of what i read on here with the psycho delusional crap. Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus
Does anyone else find it odd that this comet comes around every 3000-something years and it just happens to "break apart" while it's within observable distance of the Earth... actually, I thought it was confirmed that there were "multiple" objects inbound with Elenin... hmmm
edit on 29-8-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

I find that strange also, are they still hiding something?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MolochMarduk

LOL leave Giorgio alone!!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think if its been coming around for that long then ITS ABOUT TIME IT BREAKS UP INTO PIECES!!!!

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Does anyone else find it odd that this comet comes around every 3000-something years and it just happens to "break apart" while it's within observable distance of the Earth... actually, I thought it was confirmed that there were "multiple" objects inbound with Elenin... hmmm

I find that strange also, are they still hiding something?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Please tell me you kids on here really dont believe in this Elinin/Wormwood stuff??? PLEASE!! If so, this world is in more trouble than i thought but moreso for the idiots inhabiting it than from any outside force.
edit on 30-8-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

All of that is somewhat fact based, but how does CME's effect orbital trajectories?

I was in the understanding that this is the first trip to the inner solar system for this comet. Outgassing must have caused some big debris loosening, the big chunks would continue the sam trajectory as the comet before it broke up. We have no firm data of the alleged breakup. If it broke apart it would become LESS of a threat to earth. If solar heating broke it apart, what do you think earth atmospheric entry would do to it, especially as smaller pieces, when it's projected size as a whole would not create an Extinction Level Event?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Well, we are pretty close to the sun here, which is a bit warm if your a big ball of ice. And I don't beleive this 3000 year business - just some more of their maths trying to explain stuff. This couls just as easy be it's first run in.

Yeah...Because that math stuff is pretty silly stuff right?
Universal language? Pft... No way...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart.

spaceweather.com...

Repairmen were sent.
Please stay patient, maintenance is in progress...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This world really needs a hero/savior and quick because this thread explains it all. Sad. So freaking sad.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
LOL the 14 year olds (or 90% of this site) will actually believe that. Something like: "They Greys are going to go fix Elinin-yay"

Originally posted by potential_problem

Originally posted by bjsmi2
SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart.

spaceweather.com...

Repairmen were sent.
Please stay patient, maintenance is in progress...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Somebody had a dream back in early July that the comet would disappear from view and appear once more, followed by something else:

Make of it what you will.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I don't really find it odd. In fact, it is not uncommon for a comet to break up into pieces, especially as it gets closer to the Sun, which is usually closer to an observable distance to Earth. This happened to a comet just last year (Comet C2007 C3), but the general public didn't seem to take notice of THAT comet breaking up at an observable distance from Earth (observable with a telescope).

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I don't really find it odd. In fact, it is not uncommon for a comet to break up into pieces, especially as it gets closer to the Sun, which is usually closer to an observable distance to Earth. This happened to a comet just last year (Comet C2007 C3), but the general public didn't seem to take notice of THAT comet breaking up at an observable distance from Earth (observable with a telescope).

There is no evidence (outside of prophesies) that this comet ever entered the inner solar system. Why does this 3,000 year thing keep coming up when the projected trajectory is way over 10,000 years, and many different actual orbital periods were stated as high as 14,500 years. 3,000 years is a total fabrication.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Well, we are pretty close to the sun here, which is a bit warm if your a big ball of ice. And I don't beleive this 3000 year business - just some more of their maths trying to explain stuff. This couls just as easy be it's first run in.

Yeah...Because that math stuff is pretty silly stuff right?
Universal language? Pft... No way...

Yeah! Now y'er gettin me! LOL

Seriously, I don't trust any sort of maths that breaks appart when you try to consider infinity and zero. There was a thread on here about it. Monstly I disagreed with it though! LOL

Hey - I just read this article, which made me laugh about this whole story.

Is Comet Elenin Burning Out?

The end result if this comet does indeed completely burn out would be so many people looking like fools I do believe. Which would be cosmic justice in itself on so many levels

So true! Can;t wait for that headline to be confirmed lol!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Please tell me you kids on here really dont believe in this Elinin/Wormwood stuff??? PLEASE!! If so, this world is in more trouble than i thought but moreso for the idiots inhabiting it than from any outside force.

Elenin really is a moot point now, otherwise all the amateur scopes out there would be screaming "Nay Nay I say"
What I do refuse to believe is just about every thing I see on youtube.Anything can be faked to a 100% authenticity. Anything any time FAKE....

while I am here I gotta wonder about all the people that USED to be bandwaggon jumpers that are instead of riding on a would be hoax are now the debunkers only because of the reverse psyc involved. Reason I say is cause I see it in sports all the time
edit on 31-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added content

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
posted on 30-8-2011 @ 11:28 PM this post

So Elenin is "supposedly" breaking up, which i understand to be a pretty common thing for comets to do at perihelion. However i decided to look into other observed comets that have done the same thing, and i found this...

www.space.com...

Comet 73P/Schwassmann–Wachmann is said to be "no more than about two-tenths of a mile in diameter" before its break-up in 1995. So my big question is why, being a considerably small comet, (nucleus) would it get brighter upon disintegration instead of dimmer, as in the case of elenin....or so they say. Is there something here that were not seeing? I have my personal beliefs on comet elenin and Nibiru and don't wanna waste my time to share them, especially on this particular thread, however i did find it interesting that comet elenin (being app. 3-5 km in diameter) is becoming dimmer in light mag as it breaks up whereas 73P increased in brightness times 100s.
Also...its not a f***ing spaceship...honestly.

"This was a huge surprise, because the comet didn't get any closer to Earth than 122 million miles and was not expected to get much brighter than twelfth magnitude. Yet, here it was, somehow having increased its brightness by many hundreds of times!"
www.space.com...

www.space.com...
edit on 31-8-2011 by Vandipants because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join