It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Member Claiming To Have Important Warning/Information. You Be The Judge...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

Everything you mentioned is exactly why I asked the question(s). Trying to put it all together is half the fun...though, the results of the "fun" could mean the loss of thousands of lives. Which, off course, makes it all the more imperative.
Though, even if we did find the answers we're looking for, I'm not sure what we could do about it.

But, then, here's some irony: I have 2 really good friends online. One lives at the north end of the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The other lives in SoCal.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow you guys, I am blown away by what you found ***CLPrime and JadedAndCynical***

It echos what a lot of us have been saying all along: we live in a CLOSED ecosystem. One basic law of physics is that energy does NOT end. It transfers...but always continues on. So if there is a 9.1 quake on one side of the world, imagine the energy released. I say 'released' specifically, because prior to the quake, that energy was contained in the ground....'creeping' from who knows how far away across various plates to collect, grow and finally be 'released' in that monster quake. That energy was then 'transferred' to the water (tsunami) which was then transferred to the land (flooding). It was also transferred to the surrounding land, resulting in movement and fracturing. The energy that created all of this did not just disappear. It cannot. St Louis actually rose and fell one inch. What does that tell you??

The ETS (Episodic Tremor and Slip) that I have been studying and following for sometime is what got me thinking more about global affect with quakes. It is also what got me thinking about my theory on the cascadian subduction zone extending.

I am almost tempted to think that this poster has read all my threads and is just teasing me. Although, i would think they would have posted on one my many topics related to this if that were the case.

As to anyone thinking about the NMZ quakes in relation to the california ones....I put up a BIG post HERE about half way down.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Have you seen this?

Space-time correlation of slip and tremor during the 2009 Cascadia slow slip event
Received 28 June 2011; accepted 25 August 2011.

Seems to not be published yet.

Draft of the paper.

We conclude that our findings support the hypothesis that tremor results from local heterogeneities within the slipping region that accelerate to high enough slip speed to radiate seismic waves. ...
If ETS events can trigger or evolve into dynamic megathrust earthquakes, locating active slip via the tremor may prove to be a powerful method for monitoring subduction zone activity.

edit on 9-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I've been putting some brain power (what little I have) into the implications and connections between quakes in So Cal and the NMSZ in relation to the tmiddlebrook posts (interesting that the mods haven't shut down the latest account, no?) and why that person is posting in the Arkansas thread rather than the general quake watch thread.

In light of the post CLPrime just made (fantastic find btw) what comes to mind is this:

We suggest that the migrating tremor records triggered slow slip of the San Andreas fault as a propagating creep event. We find that the triggered tremor and fault creep can be initiated by distant earthquakes as small as magnitude 5.4 and can persist for several days after the seismic waves have passed. Our observations of prolonged tremor activity provide a clear example of the delayed dynamic triggering of seismic events. Fault creep has been shown to trigger earthquakes10, 11, 12, and we therefore suggest that the dynamic triggering of prolonged fault creep could provide a mechanism for the delayed triggering of earthquakes.

From the article posted in Nature.

What comes to mind is the idea of resonance. I play the violin and if someone plays a D note on their instrument, the D string on my instrument will vibrate in response to that frequency without any action on my part. This is how singers are able to break crystal wine glasses with their voice.

What if the event tmiddlebrook is hinting at causes these seismic waves to propagate through CONUS setting up a resonant vibration within the NMSZ (or a possible not yet found fault) triggering a largish quake in the middle of the country?

That scenario certainly presents the possibility of the huge loss of life and damage estimates mentioned (millions dead and trillions of $ of damage), does it not?

Now, I don't know enough about the difference "radiating seismic waves" and "passing seismic waves" to know if I am off with this speculation or not but it seems like a possibility at the least to me.
edit on 9-9-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Have you seen this?

Space-time correlation of slip and tremor during the 2009 Cascadia slow slip event
Received 28 June 2011; accepted 25 August 2011.

Seems to not be published yet.

Draft of the paper.

We conclude that our findings support the hypothesis that tremor results from local heterogeneities within the slipping region that accelerate to high enough slip speed to radiate seismic waves. ...
If ETS events can trigger or evolve into dynamic megathrust earthquakes, locating active slip via the tremor may prove to be a powerful method for monitoring subduction zone activity.

edit on 9-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

And now we have a 6.4 quake in the same region of the last ETS on Vancouver Island. I am really concerned you guys, because I see as three possibilities:

It is just an isolated quake. No worries.

Yin-Yang.....this event will now be echoed by a larger event on the Southern end of the subduction zone (Which I think is in California)

OR...this is a fore-shock just like what happened in Japan. I started another thread about this. Please read and share your thoughts. I value them.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

This quake is of great concern,
let's hope its just a single quake
and nothing follows. However,
I will be watching things very closely.
I have friends in Vancouver, will give
them a ring tonight, see if they felt
the quake.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hi all, I've been viewing ATS for a while, but not yet posted intro. Will get round to it soon! However, felt an urge to come in on this... From tmiddlebrook36 response of 8 Sept in Arkansas thread this part made me think if it were a read between the lines clue (I have emboldened text), or am I reading too much in...

By teaming what is called "prolonged triggered creep episodes and their effect on major slips" and recent GESS results, the research is phenomenally convincing; a major event is at the doorsteps of southern california, again, "imminent". I stress, timing is everything, and thus why there is no current public data. New information if pouring in daily, however we're moving in the wrong direction.

Could that be a hint? I'm sure the plates have a set direction to their movement (lovely little pointy arrows), so maybe whatever has been found in the reports but not yet published is going against what is known? Could that be a bit dodgy??

Hopefully you guys who are very well versed in this subject can just laugh at me! I won't mind!!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugglesby

however we're moving in the wrong direction.

I've been wondering what this means
myself.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thank you Crazydaisy for corroborating my thoughts... Hopefully the others will pop back in here and pick up on what we both honed in on...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You know, I didn't want to say anything but I lve got to admit when I went back and reread the posts as a whole those two lines stood out like they were highlighted in neon.

And this was before anyone said anything.

Make of that what you will.

I will add further that I thought it odd that we were told to "read between the lines" and them there was a get specific declaration

Originally posted by tmiddlebrook36
If you think outside of the box, you may be able to read between the lines here. I'm posting as much as I can, and more info coming in constantly. I can't really post what I "hear" as it's all hearsay and that's not right.

Minutes from a closed door that was forwarded to me, based on recent information connected to earlier posts

"A 7.0 quake in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area would potentially kill millions and cause upwards of $1 trillion in damages,"

I shouldn't be saying this but there has been new studies that are not yet published. The risk is "imminent".

I'm sorry I can't print more.

Stay alert.

What should we make of that?

Are we being told that they're listening to the earth and are picking up something that tells them about when it's about to snap and combining this with the InSAR/GESS imagery to tel them where?

Picture listening to a spring as you stretch it to the point of mechanical failure, the metal would stress and strain and then break. Just before the metal ruptures it would emit a specific sound.

I keep thinking of puterman and his audio conversion of seismic waves.

Tell me how I'm wrong here.

Please.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well,take a look at this.
I have holding on to it for some time.
Maybe it might help.

There is some intriguing research about whether large earthquakes are associated with ionospheric changes caused by electromagnetic signals released by the crushing of rock crystalline structures. If so, then this might be a mechanism for major earthquake prediction. One of the primary researchers in this area is Friedemann Freund, of NASA Ames. He has written several articles introducing the concept of ionospheric and atmospheric changes as earthquake precursors:

solar-center.stanford.edu...

Earth is a restless planet. Occasionally – quite often, in some regions of the world – the restlessness turns deadly. Of all natural hazards, earthquakes are the most feared. They are feared because they seem to strike so unpredictably. Yet, for centuries, and even millennia, people living in seismically active regions have noted premonitory signals. The historical records talk of changes of the water level in wells, of strange weather, of ground-hugging fog, of unusual behavior of animals (both domestic and wild) that seem to feel the approach of a major earthquake. With the advent of modern science and technology the list of premonitory signals has become even longer. Among them are (i) Sporadic emissions of low to ultralowfrequency electromagnetic radiation from the ground (ii) Occasional local magnetic fi eld anomalies reaching a strength of half a percent of the Earth’s main dipole fi eld (iii) Changes in the lower atmosphere that are accompanied by the formation of haze and a reduction of moisture in the air (iv) Large patches, often tens to hundreds of thousands of square kilometers in size, seen in night-time infrared satellite images where the land surface temperature seems to fl uctuate rapidly (v) Passing perturbations in the ionosphere at 90 - 120 km altitude that affect the transmission of radio waves Deciphering these signals and learning how to “read” them has remained a source of great frustration. Many seismologists have lost faith that earthquakes would ever become predictable beyond statistical probabilities which leave uncertainties of by Friedemann Freund Collapse of Hanshin Expressway in Japan National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering, University of California, Berkeley

Almost forgot about this stuff.

What I find intriguing is the satellite imagery of land surface temps fluctuating rapidly.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Are we being told that they're listening to the earth and are picking up something that tells them about when it's about to snap and combining this with the InSAR/GESS imagery to tel them where?

The poster seems to be telling us there is
a proven scientific way to predict a quake
and where it will occur. Interesting that
you mentioned sound and imagery - do
you have a link for anything in regards,
would love to read up on the topic.

I had forgotten to think of the earthquake
satellite - lots to include in our thinking here.

BTW isn't it close to the time frame for the
event as the poster said about 2 weeks?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
You know, I didn't want to say anything but I lve got to admit when I went back and reread the posts as a whole those two lines stood out like they were highlighted in neon.

And this was before anyone said anything.

Make of that what you will.

I will add further that I thought it odd that we were told to "read between the lines" and them there was a get specific declaration

Originally posted by tmiddlebrook36
If you think outside of the box, you may be able to read between the lines here. I'm posting as much as I can, and more info coming in constantly. I can't really post what I "hear" as it's all hearsay and that's not right.

Minutes from a closed door that was forwarded to me, based on recent information connected to earlier posts

"A 7.0 quake in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area would potentially kill millions and cause upwards of $1 trillion in damages,"

I shouldn't be saying this but there has been new studies that are not yet published. The risk is "imminent".

I'm sorry I can't print more.

Stay alert.

He's only posting in the Arkansas thread, that is important I'd say, ant the sentence with millions killed and trillions in damage may not necessarily refer to LA. Good thinking Jaded
edit on 9-9-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow,so I came across something interesting.

But now the data are flowing in like hot lava. Scientists from Greece, China, France, Japan and the United States all presented findings at the recent AGU meeting that support the possibility that ULF signals may precede earthquakes.

This is from 1991.

Twelve days before the Loma Prieta earthquake Fraser- Smith's detector recorded a large signal. The signal remained high until three hours before the earthquake, when it shot up even further. "The signal was off scale, 20 to 30 times bigger than what we usually measure," Fraser-Smith said. "We nearly shut down the Corralitos system because we thought something was wrong with it." Then the earthquake hit, disabling the system for eight hours.

www.stanford.edu...

Now,someone posted a thread on here about a reading thats was so high that they thought it was erroneous

Going to check it out..

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This is what I found.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't know what it means,maybe nothing.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

InSAR Workshop Report - 6.5 MB .pdf

I post a few excerpts from that report in the thread linked below.

In the Earthquake Prediction thread I started in response to the original posing which stated this thread links a couple of other documents of interest also regarding use of the prediction algorithms.

I know it's only because of this thread that must not be named, but I had a dream last night that I looked at my Quake Feed app and saw an 8.0. I don't remember the name of the location, but I want to say it was one word and began with an "A."

I also took a nap this morning after helping to get 4 of my kids off to school in the morning and then the one we home school started on his lessons. I awoke suddenly and looked at my iPhone and saw that I was within minutes of the Vancouver quake. Don't think I was dreaming as I had not been asleep for very long and when I take a mid morning nap like that, I'm usually out for a while so for me to awake suddenly like that was very uncharacteristic.

I must say seeing PMs posts in your Vancouver foreshock thread (WC) really puts my mind at rest.

But then I think about "we're headed in the wrong direction" and then the specific mention of So. Cal as a possible purposeful bit of "reverse psychology" as it were and think it's possible we should be looking elsewhere?

tmiddlebrook, are you reading this thread too?
edit on 9-9-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: clarification

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
From what I posted on the other thread.

The latest earthquakes in So.Cal.
Notice activity to the north on the fault line but none to the south of the fault line.
Like a big rubber band being stretched.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Well,take a look at this.
I have holding on to it for some time.
Maybe it might help.

There is some intriguing research about whether large earthquakes are associated with ionospheric changes caused by electromagnetic signals released by the crushing of rock crystalline structures. If so, then this might be a mechanism for major earthquake prediction. One of the primary researchers in this area is Friedemann Freund, of NASA Ames. He has written several articles introducing the concept of ionospheric and atmospheric changes as earthquake precursors:

Earth is a restless planet. Occasionally – quite often, in some regions of the world – the restlessness turns deadly. Of all natural hazards, earthquakes are the most feared. They are feared because they seem to strike so unpredictably. Yet, for centuries, and even millennia, people living in seismically active regions have noted premonitory signals. The historical records talk of changes of the water level in wells, of strange weather, of ground-hugging fog, of unusual behavior of animals (both domestic and wild) that seem to feel the approach of a major earthquake. With the advent of modern science and technology the list of premonitory signals has become even longer. Among them are (i) Sporadic emissions of low to ultralowfrequency electromagnetic radiation from the ground (ii) Occasional local magnetic fi eld anomalies reaching a strength of half a percent of the Earth’s main dipole fi eld (iii) Changes in the lower atmosphere that are accompanied by the formation of haze and a reduction of moisture in the air (iv) Large patches, often tens to hundreds of thousands of square kilometers in size, seen in night-time infrared satellite images where the land surface temperature seems to fl uctuate rapidly (v) Passing perturbations in the ionosphere at 90 - 120 km altitude that affect the transmission of radio waves Deciphering these signals and learning how to “read” them has remained a source of great frustration. Many seismologists have lost faith that earthquakes would ever become predictable beyond statistical probabilities which leave uncertainties of by Friedemann Freund Collapse of Hanshin Expressway in Japan National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering, University of California, Berkeley

Almost forgot about this stuff.

What I find intriguing is the satellite imagery of land surface temps fluctuating rapidly.

Okay.....I am quoting this because I want to refer directly to your second quote about the ground temp fluctuations and fog.

We have finally gotten our summer here in the Pacific northwerst this past week. Best weather of the whole darn season. Beautiful clear skies, highs in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Only downfall is cold nights...but its good for cooling the house off. Typically, when we have clear/warm days, we have clear/cold nights...espeially this time of year.

It WAS following this pattern until last night. Might be totally because of a normal front off-shore or something, but the forecast is for more of the same so I am unaware of any other systems at play. Last nights weather was different. It felt VERY humid....and we had a bunch of ground fog. may be just a coincidence, but i remembered commenting about the odd weather last night so to now just read this.....has me a bit spooked.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
To be honest, that is one of my main areas of concern when I check EQ maps. I check Cali first, and look over it closely. It's very complex and extremely difficult to judge accurately as I lack a sufficient database to compare with past events.

However, we can rest assured that Cali will have a big one sometime, and that's why I choose to not live there back in 1998. I lived in Fresno, and got out of there within under a year.

I have been very concerned and worried about a potential quake rocking LA or SF in recent weeks. And check this out guys, it has nothing to do with these threads or anything posted on ATS.

It is purely my intuition and own assessment based upon what I know. So know that you are not the only ones going over the West Coast with a fine tooth comb.

I am totally expecting something to happen, I wouldn't be upset or surprised if nothing happened, in fact I would feel a bit relieved, but isn't that when it's most likely to happen? While I am taking that breath of relief...

I am also very interested in the rare quake activity throughout mainland North America which has got me very intrigued and looking closer than ever to try and piece the puzzle together.

I just don't want to be caught by surprise again, it sucks. I want to be ready this time, and prepared to help people in case they may need it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just seen and read this thread and I have to ask....

Is this a proven hoax then or just put here to stop people looking since the [HOAX] section I expect most not to read also (this is only my second foray into this part since joining)?

Otherwise, so far I don't see how this is a hoax or why it's in here and not Fragile Earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join