It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

All presidents vacation.

Bush vacationed.

Did you complain when he did?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Did anybody's dog start to bark before the earthquake? What's weird is that our neighbor's dogs started to bark 10-15 seconds BEFORE the earthquake started.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
reply to post by karen61057

My apologies are in order then! I am very frazzled from being on the phone with the mother of my god children when the quake struck and the sounds of her terrified screams.

I apologize for mistaking your post as pro chemtrail. I was in error.

Its ok. Hope your friend has calmed down now.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

My Son and I was watching Cowboys & Aliens at the AMC 24 in Hamilton NJ ... when we both felt at the same time like someone behind rocking our seats. We both trying to play it off thinking that someone being a wise guy... Now my son is a BIG dude, you don't want to shake his seat too much... well when it didn't stop he turned around, he didn't say anything but this elderly Lady with her Husband said: "it's not us" ! Two minutes later I received a called to let me know we just had an Earthquake !!!!
BTW: Cowboys & Aliens Good Movie :-)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Felt it here in Finksburg Maryland. My house shook as well and I could hear rumbling. Fun fun fun!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Did anybody's dog start to bark before the earthquake? What's weird is that our neighbor's dogs started to bark 10-15 seconds BEFORE the earthquake started.

I'm sure there were a lot more dogs barking 10-15 seconds before the earthquake hit.

/facepalm

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
@ TimidGal

I work at an environmental consulting firm, chock full of geologists, hydrogeos, etc. They said the fact that the east coast is mostly bedrock accounts for the fact it traveled so far. That, and the fact it was only 3.5 miles deep, versus twice that in Cali (typically). Rock is a great conducter versus a sandy/silty loam.

One odd footnote worth mentioning....

The people in my office that were standing did not notice the earthquake. I was sitting right next to someone standing, talking on their cell phone and I got up and started pushing him out of the aisle and he yelled "What are you doing??" lol

I wouldnt have thought there would be that much a difference depending on what position you were in. When we evacuated, most of the people were talking about just that.
edit on 23-8-2011 by dtrock78 because: (no reason given)

We experienced the same thing here. The people who were standing didnt really feel anything. I was standing but I was leaning on a metal chair. The chair vibrated . I thought to myself. Tremor but I didnt say anything because no one else was reacting. A few minutes later someones wife calls and says did you feel the earthquake. He started to laugh it off but asked around. I spoke up then. The guy still thought his wife was pulling his leg. Then it came on the radio.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

I see the pattern.

But, I'm not interested in panicking like a sheep that believes everything they read on here. No offense to you. It's just a general observation of some of these posts.

It doesn't make sense for an earthquake that big to happen. Then again, I don't think I was alive the last time such an earthquake came through.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

The only time I ever felt like crap and vomited when I woke up is when I was pregnant. Its called morning sickness. I never heard of or ever had morning shock. What the hell is that. I get up at 4:30 or 5:00 every day.
Yes we all get headaches. I am pretty sure you're the cause of some too.

not to mention the fact that this earthquake happened at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. even if there was such a thing as morning shock, it was hardly morning anyway. lol. and for the record, i googled "morning shock" and all it brought up was links to morning shock jocks (radio), some kind of Harry Potter fan-fiction, and a news article about how noisy trucks are a morning shock (to wake up to).

morning shock? seriously?

(btw, karen i was adding to your post in agreement with you, that is why i quoted you, not misunderstanding you and acting like you are saying something you aren't... just to clarify
)
edit on 23-8-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is now FOUR in a row and I think it's too much of a coincidence at this point. Check my data below:

C/2010 X1 (ELENIN)/Seismic Activity

Below is 3 months of alignments and correlating seismic data I’ve collected in a weekly format of 5.0 or greater earthquakes. I was unfortunately unable to collect data from 7/6/11- 7/16/11 due to
unforeseen circumstances. However, I checked daily reports and didn’t see any significant earthquakes during that period. No alignments between the Sun, ELENIN and any other planets occurred during that time.

Date Range Earthquakes 5.0> Alignment(s)

4/25/2011-5/1/2011 34 None
5/2/2011-5/9/2011 36 None
5/10/2011-5/17/2011 58 Sun, Venus and ELENIN
5/18/2011-5/25/2011 32 None
5/26/2011-6/1/2011 29 None
6/2/2011-6/8/2011 35 None
6/9/2011-6/15/2011 36 None
6/16/2011-6/22/2011 36 None
6/23/2011-6/29/2011 36 None
6/30/2011-7/6/2011 24 (7.8 on 7/6/11) Sun, Mercury, ELENIN

I added “largest earthquake magnitude” as a metric on the data below:

Date Range # of 5.0> EQs ELE Alignment Largest EQ Magnitude

7/16/2011 - 7/22/2011 34 None 6.3
7/23/2011 - 7/29/2011 45 Sun, ELE & Jupiter 6.4
7/30/2011 - 8/5/2011 31 None 6.6
8/6/2011 - 8/12/2011 34 None 5.9

Future Alignments and Events Date Note

Mars, Sun & ELE 8/22 – 8/27 Colorado & East Coast Earthquakes

8/31/2011 ELE will be visible by the naked eye

Mercury, Mars, Earth & ELE 9/6/2011

9/10/2011 ELE will come closest to the Sun

9/11/2011 ELE will pass above the ecliptic

Sun, Mercury & ELE 9/25/2011

9/26/2011 ELE minimum angle relative to the sun will be 1.9º

Sun, ELE & Earth 9/23-9/28 The Sun, ELE and Earth will be at their closest alignment distance. ELE and Earth will come within .352 AU from each other on 11/28. For comparison, the Sun is 1.00 AU from Earth and Jupiter is 5.2 AU from the Sun. One AU is ~93 million miles. If you include the nature of gravity, it's wells and portals that hold our solar system in place, the end of September of this year may be when we experience the most havoc on our planet. I make this assumption based on the data above, which suggests the incoming celestial body is MUCH bigger than a "comet" as NASA suggests.

10/17/2011 ELE will be at it’s closest distance to the Earth (.232 AU)

10/20/2011 ELE will enter our orbit and Earth may experience gravitational effects

11/02/2011 Earth will enter recent location of ELE "comet" tail

Mercury, Venus, Earth & ELE 11/11/201

Sun, Mercury, Earth & ELE 12/4/2011

Mars, ELE & Jupiter 12/25/2011

Last alignment with Earth and ELENIN on this ~3600 year cycle
(Beginning of the Age of Aquarius)

Sun, Earth & ELE December 21, 2012

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Is this the same one that was felt in kentucky, w. va., ny, nj, and tennessee? Everyone was asking me if I felt it.. I didn't. The lights apparently went out at my gf's college though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I lived in California for a long time and I went through the trauma of some violent quakes and I also endured many tremors, not only from aftershocks, just tremors out of nowhere. I lived close to the fault-line (San Francisco & Silicon Valley) and also spent time in SoCal b/c that's where all the cool jobs were. Those who downplay earthquakes didn't go through the worst of them. They were in a location where the shaking wasn't nearly as violent and so they assumed that others were exaggerating. I had noticed after returning to work, those who lived in certain areas where the shaking didn't last as long, nor was it as violent, accused those who were (including myself) of exaggerating. This happened during every major earthquake. Those who were not in the worst place at the worst time were annoyed at those who experienced the absolute worst. They simply lack the ability to step out of themselves and to put themselves in the place of others.

Today I'm in South Jersey, and although I immediately knew it was a quake, what happened for me was that it re-traumatized me. I brought me right back to a dark place and a dark event that I had put behind me years ago after moving back to the East Coast. My experience today maybe wasn't the same as those who never went through a quake, especially with the really strong 6.5+ shakers ... feeling powerless and not knowing when and if the shaking will ever stop. The noise and sounds of the violent shakers are as bad as the shaking. It's an awful feeling. I didn't experience that feeling today. But, to some, like myself, although I've been through worse than today, it was re-traumatizing. Not everyone is desensitized, for some people, it re-traumatizes them.

I don't pay attention or give the dignity of a response to those who trivialize any kind of major event or disaster. They aren't worth the energy.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Is this the same one that was felt in kentucky, w. va., ny, nj, and tennessee? Everyone was asking me if I felt it.. I didn't. The lights apparently went out at my gf's college though.

lol, yes. "same one".

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
NOW more people will start paying attention to the END TIMES warnings going around.

This IS real.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
What fault line was the East Coast quake?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Anybody know if earthquake damage is covered by insurance?
edit on 23-8-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Nope. It's not included in a typical P&C insurance policy:

Earthquake insurance is a form of property insurance that pays the policyholder in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. Most ordinary homeowners insurance policies do not cover earthquake loss.

link

because it is contractually defined as an "Act of God":

Act of God is a legal term[1] for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.

link

This basically means that what would have been dirt cheap insurance coverage for northeast policyholders yesterday will be ubber-inflated coverage for them tomorrow.

I'm sure the insurance companies are licking their lips and having their actuaries work overtime tonight...

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
I hope there is some kind of after shock later today (of course with no one being hurt),and I hope we can feel it here in Chicago.... Ive never been in a EQ and id like to experience one in my life time...

I know this much, you don't want to experience a big one. It's not very fun at all. ~SheopleNation

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MCL1150

was thee movie good
i wanna see it

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AstroBuzz

No thanks.

That's just hyperbole with absolutely no proof, touted by those with religious convictions.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
NOW more people will start paying attention to the END TIMES warnings going around.

This IS real.

End of times warning? It was just an EQ, they have been happening since the beginning of time, I think it's safe to say you're overreacting...Everyone will be fine....

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join