It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Previous seismicity in the Central Virginia Seismic Zone has not been causally associated with mapped geologic faults.

USGS

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Damn you Brown Dwarf star (shaking fist at sky...)!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Did anybody's dog start to bark before the earthquake? What's weird is that our neighbor's dogs started to bark 10-15 seconds BEFORE the earthquake started.

No, but my office mate started to piss on his desk.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

the last large east coast earthquake was 114 years ago...the New Madrid fault zone

has had much larger (7.7) in the early 1800's. There was a 5.3 in CO earlier in the am.

Im sure someone has posted already about Elenin's orbit, and maybe even HAARP.

but there are more coming; this uptick in EQ activity is global.

And if you haven't notice via the PTWC (pacific tsunami warning center), there's been

and increased frequency of EQ's large enough to generate tsunami alerts in the last 3 months;

alerts have been arriving nearly daily in the last month!

edit on 8/23/2011 by drphilxr because: added

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by The Sword

the last large east coast earthquake was 114 years ago...the New Madrid fault zone

has had much larger (7.7) in the early 1800's. There was a 5.3 in CO earlier in the am.

Im sure someone has posted already about Elenin's orbit, and maybe even HAARP.

but there are more coming; this uptick in EQ activity is global.

And if you haven't notice via the PTWC (pacific tsunami warning center), there's been

and increased frequency of EQ's large enough to generate tsunami alerts in the last 3 months.

No, it's because Ron Paul finally exploded and is causing all this global phenomena.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by mossme89
Anybody know if earthquake damage is covered by insurance?
edit on 23-8-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Nope. It's not included in a typical P&C insurance policy:

Earthquake insurance is a form of property insurance that pays the policyholder in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. Most ordinary homeowners insurance policies do not cover earthquake loss.

link

because it is contractually defined as an "Act of God":

Act of God is a legal term[1] for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.

link

This basically means that what would have been dirt cheap insurance coverage for northeast policyholders yesterday will be ubber-inflated coverage for them tomorrow.

I'm sure the insurance companies are licking their lips and having their actuaries work overtime tonight...

Timidgal

yup, NO ONE has earthquake insurance on the east coast

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

i do love that!

Go Ron Paul!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why do religious fools have to make EVERYTHING about them? Something good happens? "God blessed us!". Something horrible happens? Either silence or "we deserve it, god's punishment!". Something neither good nor bad but newsworthy happens? "Its a sign from god!". Get over yourselves.

Earthquakes happen, even on the east coast, they are rare but they happen and whenever they finally do of course it will seem significant to us with short lifespans compared to the earth, even though it is statistically normal. If we start getting 5.0+ earthquakes every week on the east coast, then I'd start worrying and considering outside explanations other than mother nature doing its thing. Until then, stop with the ridiculous religious, end of the world, elenin, haarp etc claims just because the east coast gets hit by a moderate earthquake it was probably overdue for.
edit on 23-8-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

You're telling me stuff I already know.

Why can't people chill out on this site?

link   
gl america
ul........... need it

link   
Washington Post quotes USGS director "What the concern is...is that this is a foreshock. If it's a foreshock, then the worse is yet to come"....

link   

edit on 8/23/2011 by drphilxr because: duplicate (?)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I just got word the news is saying down here that Virginia is getting hit with Hurricane Irene Cat 3 next week and earthquakes.
This was on Bay news 9 anybody else hearing this?

Not sure what map you're looking at but the storm will not go that far inland and if it does, it won't be a hurricane by then.
I was on the 9th floor of a building downtown. It's right by the train tracks that roll through town (by HUD and FAA). It always rumbles and shakes a bit when the trains roll through. I've always felt a little nervous when those trains roll by as the 8 stories were added on top of a two story structure to make a 10 story building and it's only about three years old. When this thing hit, I was talking to one of my fellow office mates who happens to be from Cali (I spent almost 30 years out there before DC). When the first part hit, I said that's an earthquake! Then the other part hit and we all knew what it was. The difficult part was when the boss herded us all into a conference room! I said that we needed to get out ASAP (I started to have visions of the WTC "Stay in your offices! It's all OK"). Anyway, after about 15 seconds, they said everybody out and we started walking down.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I felt a small earthquake here in Colorado Springs last night! Freaked me out for a moment, and no one else in my house felt a thing lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Not when your eyes are closed as the water is splashing on your head like a typical rainfall. It's hard to sense it or to realize it until the shaking is already going on for awhile, not right away or even the first few seconds ... this is not only my experience, but that of others who had the same experience . .. didn't know it was happening until more towards the very end of quake, if at all ... unlike if the water was on low or was turned off or they were already out of the shower and then they would feel it right away with no delay ... but not with the water splashing on your head and eyes closed.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
If you can believe it, I felt the quake all the way off in southeast WI! I work on the bizzilionth floor of a high rise, and both me and my cubemate were like, "WTF, is the building moving?!" I thought it was a thunder storm coming through (the area was expected to have severe storms today). An earthquake was the last thing I imagined...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Feedback: North Country People Feel Tremors From Virginia Quake
www.wwnytv.com...

People Felt it here too...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Temors were felt in Raliegh and Fayetteville, NC

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed that HAARP was actively broadcasting in the LF range immediatley before the quake, and that the transmission ended just after the quake? Don't take my word for it, the information is publicly available on the HAARP website.

maestro.haarp.alaska.edu...

I also noticed that the same thing happened with the Japanese quakes, but I'm sure you are already aware of that. Anyway, has anyone done extensive research between HAARPs induction magnometer recordings and major quakes in the area? A time extensive project, sure, but maybe worth looking into. Two transmissions lining up perfectly with two quakes is a pretty big coincidence for a program with resources available that could easily cause such things.

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join