It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm not here to engage in name-calling.

But I don't need to be reminded of stuff I already know either.
edit on 23-8-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
We felt it here in Michigan as well. 15 minutes outside of Detroit.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I was 30 miles from the epicenter. Very scary day. People in my office, during the 15 to 20 seconds either hid under their desk or ran outside. The epicenter is in Mineral, VA the location of the North Anna Nuclear Power Plant, which is offline right now for inspection. There was some building damage in Culpeper and Louisa. Just a very scary day..

You see all this other stuff going on in the world and you know that it is bad, but you don't really know until something happens to you. Next up for us is Hurricane Irene.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200457
Has anyone noticed that HAARP was actively broadcasting in the LF range immediatley before the quake, and that the transmission ended just after the quake? Don't take my word for it, the information is publicly available on the HAARP website.

maestro.haarp.alaska.edu...

I also noticed that the same thing happened with the Japanese quakes, but I'm sure you are already aware of that. Anyway, has anyone done extensive research between HAARPs induction magnometer recordings and major quakes in the area? A time extensive project, sure, but maybe worth looking into. Two transmissions lining up perfectly with two quakes is a pretty big coincidence for a program with resources available that could easily cause such things.

New page, wanted these findings seen

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoriAnne
We felt it here in Michigan as well. 15 minutes outside of Detroit.

I live in suburban Detroit and I also felt it, my desk swayed back and forth for 3-4 seconds. I went through the 89 San Francisco Quake also, thank goodness this wasn't the magnitude of that.

Glad it wasn't more serious, amazes me that it was felt over such a large area.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12

Not when your eyes are closed as the water is splashing on your head like a typical rainfall. It's hard to sense it or to realize it until the shaking is already going on for awhile, not right away or even the first few seconds ... this is not only my experience, but that of others who had the same experience . .. didn't know it was happening until more towards the very end of quake, if at all ... unlike if the water was on low or was turned off or they were already out of the shower and then they would feel it right away with no delay ... but not with the water splashing on your head and eyes closed.

Well we obviously have different experiences and perceptions because I can categorically say that one can indeed feel earthquakes (and even hear the impending rumble) while their eyes are closed and water is splashing on their head whilst in the shower. This is not only my experience but that of those I have mentioned this to.
There are lots of variables as to why this may be so, so let's just leave it there then, aye?
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

I was in Alexandria on the 9th floor of a building too. Felt the first rumble that got my attention. The second time, when the surface wave came through I knew what was going on. I was on the phone, which i promptly threw on the desk, ran through the door and flew down 10 flights of stairs to get out of the building. The rumbling had stopped by the time I got outside.

And isn't that just like a "manager". "Everyone here, in the conference room. You'll be safe here!". Government agencies teach their middle managers to herd employees into one room so they'll "be safe" in event of a disaster. In reality, it's just so they can find all the bodies in one place.

When that second wave came through and the building really started swaying you couldn't have kept me in the office. Buildings around here aren't made to withstand earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I'm not here to engage in name-calling.

But I don't need to be reminded of stuff I already know either.
edit on 23-8-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

While I am not usually one to get involved in the snarky, I can't help myself.
You just told us that you don't need to be reminded of stuff you already know.
But I already know that.
Because you told us on the last page.
But, hey, thanks for the reminder?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
where is there a fault on the east coast. I looked it up but I could not find any evidence of an active fault line is the area? Does any know of any web sites that would show the sesmic/fault lines in this area.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
So some cars got munched and some grocery store shelves got emptied. Some walls buckled.

Was anyone killed????? Anybody severely injured? Anyone buried in debris? I can find no reports of any deaths or injuries.

FYI Earthquake insurance, a separate policy, will double your house insurance easily. I pay about $900 per year for earthquake insurance. Further, the deductibe is very high. I think mine is $7,000. I'm sure there are regional variations. I live on top of a fault zone.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
where is there a fault on the east coast. I looked it up but I could not find any evidence of an active fault line is the area? Does any know of any web sites that would show the sesmic/fault lines in this area.

I wondered the same thing....

It was felt in all the areas of the NMZ (New Madrid Zone), except the areas right over the NMZ ( Memphis, St Louis, etc)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Did everyone see them ram the market up today on news of this

dow up 322 the SKULL and BONES magic #

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, I know people have said it a million times already but I think it bears repeating.

If you haven't gotten prepared for an eventuality such as this already then you had better GET prepared and quick! And Yes, I am fear mongering, so, no need to go there.

This is not a joke and this is not a drill.
This is exactly the type of thing people keep yammering on and on about when they talk about the Drastic Earth changes and getting prepared.

I would like to hear from any of our ATS family in NYC who have beed forcefully removed from their apartments.
I would like to see what provisions/preparations they have made that helped them out today.
All HELL is getting ready to break loose and people in NYC are more worried about getting their tickets for the Broadway play tonite than they are about their own survival.

That is all about to change.
Humanity is about to get a well derserved ass whoopin.
Mother Nature is fixin' to yank us all by the ear, out behind the ol' woodshed and
tan our hides with the buckle end of the belt.

If you are a member or just a lurker, one thing is for sure.
You WILL NOT be able to say you weren't warned.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Pretty wierd the quake in DC.
I didn't even know that part of the US even got quakes!

Someone or something trying to tell us something perhaps

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Speaking in layperson's terms, these are the older mountain ranges of the U.S., including the Appalachians.

EQs have occurred here before--actually many times.

And the "New River" --ironically named-- that flows through Virginia, northward into W. VA, is supposedly the 2nd oldest river in the world; the 1st being the Nile.

I guess sometimes mother earth decides to move despite of new platonic discoveries?

edit on 23-8-2011 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Originally posted by schuyler
So some cars got munched and some grocery store shelves got emptied. Some walls buckled.

Was anyone killed????? Anybody severely injured? Anyone buried in debris?

None. Thankfully.

Hopefully that will be the full extent of it...and the risk of aftershock or that this was a foreshock will be minimal.

I wonder if EQ insurance (prior to this) would have been cheaper in this zone than elsewhere?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

They happen, though larger ones are infrequent. This article has a good summary of the relevant info you need to know about east coast quakes news.yahoo.com...

"Faults that rupture east of the Rockies usually create quakes felt over more than 10 times the area than those west of the mountains, according to the USGS. A magnitude-5.5 quake in the Eastern U.S. can usually be felt as far as 300 miles (500 km) away." just a snipit, pretty interesting.
edit on 23-8-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

I have been camping many many times at the New River Gorge. It is indeed one of the oldest rivers in the world. It is an awesome experience. Thanks for the memories

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Never one to miss a good opportunity to remind people about how afraid they should be, my favorite in this whole thing was when Fox News mentioned on multiple occasions that people in Washington and New York were especially freaked out because this happened "so close to the anniversary of 9/11." WTF does that have to do with an earthquake?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ltdan08

Wow, i never thought of this, but yesterday at 2pm i came home an suddenly became extremely dizzy, had to lay down immediately. I assumed maybe it was a virus or stress, I dont drink. Felt like i was! Well that lasted through the night finally subsiding about 11am an gone by 2. Hmmmm, I was thinking 24hr bug but it was strange I had no fever or other symptoms an this has never happened to me before. Im also in fairly good health no high blood pressure or diabetes. Then I read your reply an now Im curious what happened to me, Btw Im Southeast Long Island, Ny, an everyone here felt the quake. But I was napping, from not getting much sleep lastnight.

new topics

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join