It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Someone here just predicted this a few days ago. Does anyone remember or know the thread it was on? I am trying to find it, but there are so many new posts, it is hard trying to find it in search.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I just got word the news is saying down here that Virginia is getting hit with Hurricane Irene Cat 3 next week and earthquakes.
This was on Bay news 9 anybody else hearing this?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Earthquakes of magnitude 6.0 or greater have been on the rise for the last 40 years. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but the Governments own website provides the data.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Anybody know if earthquake damage is covered by insurance?
edit on 23-8-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
If the world is going to end I guess I'll order some Domino's Pizza tonight and keep my TV locked in on the news!

edit on 8/23/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

I am eating dessert. For breakfast lunch and dinner. Icecream, cake, pastry. I dont care. If the world is going to come to an end I am eating dessert.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hello Loam.

Thank you so much for the thread. With a bit of time invested, I've read it in its entirety and thanks to you, there have been scores of folks who have been able to contribute in their own unique way...

Star and Flag!

With that said, I'd like to take a moment to state what is to me an obvious "truth". Here on the East Coast it is painfully apparent that occasionally we (the East Coast populace - I'm a Maryland resident) DO tend to "overreact" to what is to some an almost everyday occurrence. And I can see how those who view this type of reactive activity could find some measure of humor in it. Good for them, for humor is sometimes the best kind of medicine.

Those who seem to find the "Chicken Little Syndrome" so rampant on the East Coast would do well to keep in mind that here (again, on the East Coast) on September 11, 2001 as well as the Northeast Blackout of 2003 are still relatively fresh in our rather impressionable minds. Thusly, we admittedly DO appear to overreact to what is commonplace to some. When placed in this context, perhaps our collective overreaction is, in this regard, somewhat understandable and even [dare I say it?] - forgivable.

The scale of these occurrences, while individually paling in comparison to the Haitian Hell which occurred on January 12, 2010 and, in the form of shanties and disease, continues to this day OR the ongoing Fukushima Earthquake/Tsunami/Earthquake/Radiation Nightmare, the denizens of the East Coast of the USA are simply not accustomed to events such as this. Hurricanes are our specialty...

I'm certain that all the contributors who are attempting to somewhat "diminish" the impact of this East Coast earthquake event are doing so in order to allay the possibility of over-concern and worry by some AND to contribute to the avoidance of "panic in the streets" by others - and to those contributors I say "Thank You" for your efforts. Your concerns for the residents of the East Coast is both sincerely and greatly appreciated.

I'm absolutely certain that long term...all is well.

Mindpeace.

p.s. I could have included the Katrina adventure thrust upon the Gulf Coast in 2005, the Indonesian Tsunami of 2006 or many more, but just the above two I cited in the post brought me to the brink of depression. The list could be unending, and I figured that those two were sufficient.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Mindpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12

-- you cannot feel an earthquake while showering, while the shower water is running on you ... unless it's greater than 7.0.

I'm sorry, but that is just plain wrong.
As stated before, I have felt Mag.4.0 earthquakes while in the shower.

I wouldn't bother about trying to close blinds or curtains either. Use that time to shelter. If it's a violent enough 'quake to break windows it's violent enough to throw you through the window.

Just try to stay clear of windows.
Since September we've have duct tape across our windows.
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

Having an emergency prepareness kit is a good idea, however.
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: kit

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I hope there is some kind of after shock later today (of course with no one being hurt),and I hope we can feel it here in Chicago.... Ive never been in a EQ and id like to experience one in my life time...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Anybody know if earthquake damage is covered by insurance? I know some insurances don't cover "acts of God" but we could just say it was HAARP, so.....

You have to buy separate coverage - I have it because I live on Vancouver Island.

Watch what you buy, though, some policies slip in a line which stipulates they will only cover damage from the initial shock, not any after-shocks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by loam

My birds were trying to tell me this was coming. But I didn't listen!

Hope you and yours are okay - and don't forget, Winnipeg is a quake-free zone. You all are welcome any time.

Now that you mention it. This morning my birds ( a pair of parakeets) were running their beaks over the bars of their cage. They usually do this when they want food or if their water gets poop or feathers in it. I had just changed everything last night so I didnt think they needed food or water. I checked and all was good. I thought well they're just being fussy or something.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm in SW VA about 2 hours from where the epicenter hit. It started off as a slight shaking and then it got stronger. My husband was sitting in the recliner chair and said "wow I feel the chair shaking" then I felt the couch shaking. All of a sudden everything was vibrating and rocking. Our hutch was making a racket with the glass vibrating and the plant on top of it looked as if it was dancing. It seemed to last about 40-45 seconds. We went outside and found our elderly neighbor outside thinking a tree fell on his house. The strange thing I found, that even after a couple of minutes after feeling the stronger shaking, I could look at my neighbors glass door and still see it vibrating but we couldn't feel it.

I've heard some people right down the street say they didn't feel a thing and others said they thought something had crash down their roof.

I still bring up the post where they were predicting a strong 9.0 eq close to Roanoke in September 2011. I don't know how someone can predict an eq months in advance but I do know that this quake was strong enough for me and I don't think I would like to experience one much stronger.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Felt it here too Western Mass. I was in my apartment having lunch when I felt the shaking. Freaked me out a bit since it's been a while since I felt an earthquake. Last one was last year when I was still living in Puerto Rico. I think it was a 5 point something too.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Jana12

-- you cannot feel an earthquake while showering, while the shower water is running on you ... unless it's greater than 7.0.

I'm sorry, but that is just plain wrong.
As stated before, I have felt Mag.4.0 earthquakes while in the shower.

I wouldn't bother about trying to close blinds or curtains either. Use that time to shelter. If it's a violent enough 'quake to break windows it's violent enough to throw you through the window.

Just try to stay clear of windows.
Since September we've have duct tape across our windows.
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

Having an emergency prepareness kit is a good idea, however.
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: kit

Yep agree that you can totally feel earthquakes in showers in the less than mag 7. We've had enough here to know.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Just saw this on Fox news website. It makes me sick.

Obama and many of the nation's leaders were out of town on August vacation when the quake struck at 1:51 p.m. EDT. The shaking was felt on the Martha's Vineyard golf course as Obama was just starting a round.

Does this mother "F"er do any GD work?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know other presidents played many games of golf and had several hobbies but damn dude!!!! This guy is on the the fracking golf course every damn day!!!!

Does the guy not get to take Vacation? Do you? Does not every american take what ever vacation time is given to them. And what does this have to do with the earthquake. Other than it being mentioned that it was felt where he was playing golf?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

We are watching the track of Hurricane Irene. I read from local meteorologist that if the hurricane takes the track that the NWS is saying that the damage to our coasts will be so devastating like nothing we have seen in the last 4 decades. Boy I hope this is not the case!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
what is wrong with you people?

I feel like crap and vomit when I wake up too early too. It's called morning shock.

and for f***'s sake, you didn't have a headache because of an impending earthquake...

WE ALL GET HEADACHES. ALL THE TIME

The only time I ever felt like crap and vomited when I woke up is when I was pregnant. Its called morning sickness. I never heard of or ever had morning shock. What the hell is that. I get up at 4:30 or 5:00 every day.
Yes we all get headaches. I am pretty sure you're the cause of some too.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Just saw this on Fox news website. It makes me sick.

Obama and many of the nation's leaders were out of town on August vacation when the quake struck at 1:51 p.m. EDT. The shaking was felt on the Martha's Vineyard golf course as Obama was just starting a round.

Does this mother "F"er do any GD work?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know other presidents played many games of golf and had several hobbies but damn dude!!!! This guy is on the the fracking golf course every damn day!!!!

Does the guy not get to take Vacation? Do you? Does not every american take what ever vacation time is given to them. And what does this have to do with the earthquake. Other than it being mentioned that it was felt where he was playing golf?

He has about 190 vacation days LESS than Bush this far into his presidency. It's one of the most stressful jobs in the world, he needs vacations. I don't like the guy, but I have no problem with him going to chill out every once in awhile.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
check out all the loser nibiru/ron paul spam bot posts

seeing the pictures roll in of the damage...the people who have been mocking what happened today need to get a life

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
ALL MAJOR GAS LINES MUST BE CHECKED,

include those running too stores,,houses,, etc,,,

it was shallow,,,

anything that required "swing elbows"

MUST BE CHECKED.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_journey_in

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by ProgressBar
reply to post by karen61057

Me too!

I went outside and I'd never seen so many! I'm not a normal chem-trail follower, but it was noticeable.

I'm only about 20 minute drive from the epicenter. Fredericksburg, VA

I am not a chemtrail follower either and I usually laugh even when I see the contrails in the sky. I went outside for a smoke and I looked up. (like always I am looking for those little green men) And I saw this long FAT contrail and I had a little private giggle about it. I had to tell someone on here though cuz some people take this very seriously.

Could you estimate the length of time you giggled? Were you disrupted in your private giggling, or did it just stop naturally?

Now you went and did it again. Length about .5 seconds. Intensity, slight. just enough to say I have amused myself. Tee hee.

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join