It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White chavs have become black': David Starkey TV outburst provokes race row as he claims Enoch Po

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

I watched David Starkey making his comments. I actually burst out laughing with sheer incredulity. The man basically destroyed his credibility and his future in a few moments on television.

You are absolutely spot-on in your analysis of what he said. He may have meant to say something different, but he failed to put it across. What did come across was his hilarious yet obviously heartfelt anger and outrage. He was so angry he could barely speak – which was, perhaps, part of the problem.

He came across as someone in the grip of an uncontrollable passion. I’m sure he didn’t mean to say what he said. It erupted from deep inside him, probably a part of him he didn’t know existed, and he just couldn’t hold it back.

Poor fellow. I understand he had quite a reputation once.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
David Starky is a very knowledgeable historian, especially on royalty and constitutional affairs, but as a contemporary commentator I find much of what he says rather unintelligible. He come across as a man who has spent so long shut away in his academic ivory tower, that he's forgotten how to speak to real people.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia
His comments were racist and anyone who can't see it is also racist.

That is an awfully big brush you paint with there, my friend. Sure you're not a closet xenophobe/racist yourself? Weilding a broad brush is a habit that is hard to break, afterall.

Surely you have seen other races partaking in what is stereotypically "black gangster culture", right? Even down to the Asian kid who uses "ebonic" type gangster slang, but with a heavy and broken Asian accent?

Around here, it is so ingrained with the hispanic population that they call each other the "N" word. The older ones would call each other "Messkin" (Mexican, but with a flair). I have a video of my wife from this past Friday where we were driving through Ranger, TX and there was a wildfire. This tree was burning, and i heard the chopper overhead about to drop water on that area. Since i wanted it on video up close i was going a little slow, and she yelled, "Don't slow down, Messkin!!!" (she is latina....*sigh*

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
One thing I cannot stand is when people come up to me speaking in all that gangsta lingo. I don't like being approached in general, but I certainly don't like that. I deal with it in one simple way. I tell them to either repeat themselves in clear, concise English, or not to speak to me at all. They only have to be told once, and they don't do it again, at least not to me. If they did I'd walk off and ignore them.

When it is all said and done, I do not desire to be approached, and if someone takes it upon themselves to intrude on my space, they will do so only on my terms.

edit on 14/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: spelling

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

This issue has nothing to do with some meme black cultural slang or habits. All you need to do to identify the problem is to watch two babies with a single toy. Baby A will pick up a toy. Baby B will most often try to take the toy from Baby A. Materialism is humanistic behavior. Nothing to do with culture.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
His comments were incredibly ignorant; I'm not surprised by the amount of people who think the same way about black people though which is a shame. I grew up with more of a black culture, Bob Marley, Hip hop, Family and so on. I am NOT a criminal; neither are my dad's side of the family.

But hey we all need a bogeyman, once all those Asians have finished blowing up the world we can start combating the black terrorists with all their Jamaican slang and looting.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If England had a Paul Revere equivalent he would be riding around shouting at the top of his lungs,
"THE WIGGERS ARE COMING, THE WIGGERS ARE COMING!"

But it may be too late because they have obviously arrived in the UK.

The guy is concerned for his country, and he gets called a racist for stating the obvious?
Balderdash!

The Japanese are probably the most racist people on the planet, yet when they have a crisis, no one would ever think of rioting, much less looting.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

This issue has nothing to do with some meme black cultural slang or habits. All you need to do to identify the problem is to watch two babies with a single toy. Baby A will pick up a toy. Baby B will most often try to take the toy from Baby A. Materialism is humanistic behavior. Nothing to do with culture.

Boo!

It most certainly has everything to do with culture.
Case in point, Japanese don't loot.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

Boo!

It most certainly has everything to do with culture.
Case in point, Japanese don't loot.

You're point is ridiculous, or are seagulls culture also a threat?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I guess our culture can indoctrinate or brainwash the behavior out of someone who wants to take stuff from others, but the desire to take others' stuff comes from humanistic or dare I say animalistic behavior.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I agree to a point with David Starkey in fact I am surprised anyone thinks its odd. We have had for some years black rap in the charts and played everywhere. White kids listen and the ethos of the music spreads. Kids emanate each other, if one kid is perceived as cool then they all want to be the same. Also distinct racial lines blurr once kids are born living next to each other in the same environment, generation after generation, especially when school life cloisters them collectively together.

I do think we are in danger of missing a few things when we get embroiled in the race card. (Yes its a small issue)These riots have or are breaking out in a number of countries, they are not unique to the uk. Our government is desperate to deflect blame from itself and its institutions and to create the illusion that this is about criminal looting only and not that many people have a grievance against their management of this country. The grievance is about the increasing distance between the wealthy and the poor and a middle class that is fast disappearing and the austerity cuts that only the rich seem to ignore or even get richer on. I suspect all governments are hoping to keep their snouts in the trough but the public living in austerity are fed up with it. Isn't there a £billion credit card for parliament expences scandal lurking?

So many people also are pretty fed up with the policing in their countries. The police here have changed from the role of British Bobby' to the political leaders private army, especially when policing protests. However, I have never seen such fast processing of law as is going on today. If you think that what happened in our riots is being sorted immediately, how come that ghastly thug (a PCSmellie) who beat the young girl infront of CCTV got away with what was clearly an assault and it took months for him to be dealt with? It is one rule for the police and quite another for the rioting public However for anyone not in the 'know' in England the poor or ordinary people may not damage property especially belonging to the rich. As most of our government reflects the will of the landed gentry property is sacrosanct.

The trouble we are facing in England is simply one of too much immigration and not enough work to go round or the infrastructure to support everyone. This policy is government responsibility, they had access to the statistics and the for-knowledge of what was happening when they saw firms haemorraging jobs abroad. I don't think there are many in our current government who are capable to dealing with this problem simply because they have all had it too cosy in their priviledged lives. Cameron schooled in Eton, who on earth does he relate to, hardly anyone except royalty as in his cousin and a few toffs. He's even offended the Police here by his decision to bring in some super-hard cowboy to sort us English out, purely because he hasn't a clue of his own, his attitude practically guarantees a police strategy of non-cooperation.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

'White chavs have become black': David Starkey TV outburst provokes race row as he claims Enoch Powell was right

www.dailymail.co .uk

Historian David Starkey remained defiant last night after provoking a race storm by claiming the recent riots happened because too many young white people had ‘now become black’ The broadcaster was branded a racist yesterday after an appearance on Friday night’s Newsnight programme, when he blamed the riots on a ‘violent, destructive and nihilistic’ gang culture, which he said was being embraced by many white and black people He stunned his fellow guests on the BBC2 show, writer Owen Jones
(visit the link for the full news article)

David Starkey wiki
DailyTelegraph.co.uk

edit on 14-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

He's not far wrong!
Most of them are members of black gangs in the London area's with high immigrant density's.
The whole 'wigger' thing and mind-numbing 'gangsta' lifestyle they follow is another factor in it.

Why is it when someone brings up the ugly truth it get's shouted down by the media?
While I don't support A Brevik this is something he mentions repeatedly in the thing he sent out on the internet.
The race-issue must be addressed and politics put aside.
The rioting outside of London was somewhat less a race issue than a copycat excuse.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Nice video, thanks for posting, but I think you have the words "instinct" and "culture" confused.
Seagulls have no culture and they have no concept of thievery, it is their instinct that tells what they have to do to survive. Based on the video it appears they are now adapting to their surroundings, which includes knowing what can be found in convenience stores.

Nice try at defending the looters though, by posting that video you are basically conceding that these trouble making, self serving looters are more animal in nature than they are human.

I thought there was some humbling element somewhere that separates us humans from animals.
If that element is culture, then obviously some cultures may be reverting back to primative, animalistic behavior.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Ok maybe this has happened, but hey how often must it have happened when the white person had a better chance of getting the job. This sort of talk just goes round in circles and goes on and on, i think its time to draw a line under who you are, what colour you are ect ect ect, this is what TPTB want us to think, keep every one apart like oil and water that way we never mix and no one is together, hows about working alongside each other, with each other, embracing our different cultures and religions and begin to learn from each other, maybe if we done this things maybe a little less stressful, or am i just a dreamer?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't hate black people or black culture or black music and the rest of it, of course I’d help charity towards Africans who need it because of famine, I think as a minority they need help here and there.

But once you live long enough and the negative aspects of living come from particular experiences with people from certain skin colour then you could be labelled racist.

There are a lot more black people in the world who come from countries with high crime rates, look at Africa and its war zones and look at the Caribbean islands and their crime rates, even Brazil has these problems so they emigrate to richer countries like the USA and Britain.

I live in an average size town but the most reported crimes I seem to notice is from the Black populations, even the new arrivals seem to be on a killing spree as soon as they arrive so what picture does it paint for everyone?

Do people deny it and try and be politically correct about it all the time or people forced to think maybe something is wrong in some particular group?
It is like letting Lions out in the streets and you say well we cannot say they are different from us because we are all life forms.

There is a large drink problem in the UK amongst teens, with binge drinking. But that being something more related towards British culture it is part of its history. When another culture being foreign arrives with its negative issues you can find it harder to accept because now it’s not just your problems at home but theirs too to deal with and in a way it makes people feel separated by them, it can only take a minority to spoil that particular groups reputation and make people become racist towards them.

But if that particular group hold people with murderous ideologies and ideas which go beyond your own settled lifestyle then forget the racist issue but get real, deal with the problem regardless of who they are and deal with it before it is too late for society.

In the end it is their loss, regardless of colour and culture of a foreign origin, if you decide to threat the majority population even in small amounts even to speak to them in rude manners or even if you know you have been set up to answer back in an angry way, you will always make the largest negative impact for that society and country so they have to tread carefully, even when people visit other people in their houses you expect some form of manners and rules as a visitor in hw you behave there.

edit on 14-8-2011 by The time lord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
Multicultural London English
I must say im looking forward to the translation of the bible into this, our future language

edit on 14-8-2011 by moixa because: added link

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by moixa

Must be the Brit version of ebonics.

Are they saying things like "baby daddy" yet?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Scum is Scum. they come in all colour's..
not to sure why they are so mad? i mean it was there System that created the monsters.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
White people sure do try to blame minorities, just so they can lash out at them.

Calm down white people, blacks could care less about you, or anybody for that matter.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It is a real shame, he meant to attack Urban culture, he just didn't know how to express the thought in the politically correct framework. It was incredibly funny watching them all turn on him for being a racist whilst he desperately tried to defend himself with something as flimsy as verifiable facts.
edit on 14-8-2011 by maskfan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join