It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White chavs have become black': David Starkey TV outburst provokes race row as he claims Enoch Po

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

'White chavs have become black': David Starkey TV outburst provokes race row as he claims Enoch Powell was right

www.dailymail.co .uk

Historian David Starkey remained defiant last night after provoking a race storm by claiming the recent riots happened because too many young white people had ‘now become black’ The broadcaster was branded a racist yesterday after an appearance on Friday night’s Newsnight programme, when he blamed the riots on a ‘violent, destructive and nihilistic’ gang culture, which he said was being embraced by many white and black people He stunned his fellow guests on the BBC2 show, writer Owen Jones
(visit the link for the full news article)

David Starkey wiki
DailyTelegraph.co.uk

edit on 14-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I was reticent at posting this, but I realised my reticence was a product of politically correct progamming so overided myself.

I also think this is worthy of intelligent discussion, and by intelligent I mean not an excuse to be racist or vile

I will report all racist comments

That being said, I do not think David Starkey was being racist by his comments but was telling the truth.
I have experienced his views first hand and believe that gang culture has pervaded our society with violent music, games, even language.

I also believe that it is a nihlistic culture that totally dispenses of responsabilty till we get to the point of a feral underclass that is devoid of any natural affection, morals and empathy.

It seems that any excuse is used to act up violently and participate in criminality.

The differences between gang style culture, western and Asian were put on display for all to see over the last week.

One black man gets executed by the police. This man was known to have gangland links all over England. A riot ensues, then is used as an excuse for criminality.

3 Asian men get murdered by feral scum, note there were no riots. A white old man gets murdered by feral scum, again no riots.

The difference in the actions of the communities screams very loudly.

Was Starkey being racist? No, I just think he was telling the truth

www.dailymail.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

People are getting their colour codes mixed into how they see life. Gang culture isn't a racial identity or colour-scheme; there are gangs all over the world with differences. The UK gangs emulating the gang culture of the US has its roots in a few areas and media and immigration are two strong suspects. The 90s boom in movies like New Jack City and Boy n the Hood exported the characteristics and stereotypes of US culture around the world. Even the Ice-T and NWA stuff from back when has helped to unify an identity.

As an example of the power of all this, FBI investigators described how the behaviour and 'culture' of US Mafia gangs changed with Godfather ad Scarface. They began to emulate the screen reality and this spread. Even as recently as the court cases against Gotti (irrc), Feds pointed out that in wire-taps the gangsters were emulating Sopranos!

Because the stereotypes of US gangs has come to wrongly represent 'black behaviour' whenever any group are typifying gang culture it's seen by many as 'black.' Once more with the media, the behaviour of gangs in the US was directly inspired by the 70s Mafia movies too. Anyone who knows anything about hip hop knows this already. Starkey's out of his neighbourhood and hasn't a clue.

I guess what I'm labouring to say is that the behaviour isn't an aspect of genetics. It isn't dictated by skin colour. What do all the gangs across the world have in common beyond music and movies?

They're piss-poor and come from uneducated backgrounds in places were unemployment and crap jobs are the norm. Standard issue criminal sub-class. I'm not making excuses for criminal behaviour, but not accepting the racial accusations either.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I agree.

The inverse is also true when you see how those in government or have great wealth behave with impunity.

I laughed out loud quite a few times this week at the sheer hypocracy of Cameron and his cronies in parliament rightly denouncing the criminality but not seeing their own criminality in looting the public purse for their interests.

It was only revealed yesterday that the person in charge of the "company credit card" for the government will not reveal the BILLION POUND yearly bill.

As a taxpayer who is being looted at the till and bank account I demand to know wtf they are doing with my money!

We also see corperations and banks looting the economy without as much as a buy or leave from the government.

This country is sick from the bottom to the top, but that is no excuse for criminality.

The law abiding public showed their worth this week which was good to see.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

From examining the timeline of events the trigger point of the riots was when the 16 year old girl was getting brutally beaten by the police. Why is it that the media across the globe conveniently keeps omitting this point?
The Tottenham area and the surrounding districts have a long history of violent unethical police actions of framing, maiming and killing innocent people with no consequence.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
One black man gets executed by the police. This man was known to have gangland links all over England. A riot ensues, then is used as an excuse for criminality.

Although I get your points in your post, I have to pull you up about use of the word "executed". There is no evidence for this and the circumstances have yet to be fully disclosed as they are being investigated - as is the norm. What is known is that if the police deployed armed officers then there would have been likely intelligence that the person shot was involved in gun-crime.

By perpetrating the myth he was "executed" you are falling into the mentality of the gangs who think that they are "picked on" and discriminated against. They are often targeted by the police because these gangs are based on criminality, drugs and (of course) the violent wannabe gangster rap, gun culture.

The problem with branding Starkey racist just because he holds a view is frankly ridiculous. He’s not racist. He has just posed a question for society to ponder – a question which may have some truth in it if you peel back the layers and get passed the “politically correct censors”, who time and time again have demonstrated that they cannot handle difficult issues because it might offend their personal sensibilities.

It will be interesting to see the final statistics for arrests and convictions, i.e. the proportion of people from different ethnic backgrounds and the type of offenses. There was one person interviewed who said that police in Turkey would have been more robust and he was glad that he had moved to the UK a month ago! Work that one out!

Also, often people consider racism to be black versus white. However, in the UK the racism is often black versus Asian i.e. of Indian or Pakistani origin.

Regards

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

I get your point but that does not excuse anything.

Four innocent people died at the hands of thugs, where is the anger for those deaths?

Why are people not looting stores and burning down peoples homes about that?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's not racist when it's true, there is trash of all races. It just happens to be the chavs for once

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
What David Starkey said on newsnight is a completely valid and well made point.
The response it immediately had on the rest of the panel and presenter is of far more
concern to me, it shows that Political correctness has now become an institution in
this country and that real debate on very important issues is being stiffled and killed off.
Anyone brave enough to question the indoctrinated/hardwired thinking of this ultra lefist
regime is shouted down and branded racist ect ect, Starkey's career in the media is now
finished because he dared tackle a complicated issue by speaking plain truth, is this not
a form of fascism by any definition?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
What David Starkey said on newsnight is a completely valid and well made point.
The response it immediately had on the rest of the panel and presenter is of far more
concern to me, it shows that Political correctness has now become an institution in
this country and that real debate on very important issues is being stiffled and killed off.
Anyone brave enough to question the indoctrinated/hardwired thinking of this ultra lefist
regime is shouted down and branded racist ect ect, Starkey's career in the media is now
finished because he dared tackle a complicated issue by speaking plain truth, is this not
a form of fascism by any definition?

I agree and would hasten to add that many are not posting their views on this matter lest they get accused of racism and banned.

Racism is obvious when spouted, but it is difficult to raise critism or concern on certain elements of society without been branded a racist.

I personally think that many people are soo politically correct they would rather watch the country burn than be called an "ist" of any form.

Clearly this has to stop. There are ways to put across you point that does not insult, however this is not always possible. Political correctness is a form of oppression and anti freedom of speech.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I don't even know Mr. Starkey would waste his time trying to socially analyze what happened and why leading up to these riots? Why try to rationalize the behavior exhibited during the days London and other parts of England burned? There is no need for it. Just a bunch of wanna-be hoodlums trying to get attention, and used that police shooting as a means to get some plasma TVs, appliances, and new video game consoles.

What a bunch of losers and scumbags! What Mommy and Daddy are not coddling you enough, or spending time with you? The only place they need to go is behind bars. Arrest the whole lot of them, and throw away the key! All they did was destroy neighborhoods, private businesses, physically attack people on the street, murder, commit grand theft, and for no apparent rhyme or reason?

This has nothing to do about police brutality, social equality, Prime Minister Cameron's austerity measures, or any hot button issue at the moment. There is no rational explanation for any of it, and we should stop trying to put a label on it. Just a bunch of unruly wanna-be thugs and criminals. Maybe some time in the hoosegow will do them some good?

edit on 14-8-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I totally agree with you *

Respect and honesty trickles down from the TOP. eg. Children look up to and take a lead

from parent/s and family. Then as they mature and look to the the top (government,

employers,entrepreneurs, bankers, 'dare i say footballers
) And what do they see there?

government corruption, tax evation, expenses fiddles, theft. Can't blame people for thinking

'i want some of that!'

What makes me sick is i think only about 4 MP's have been made an example of - but there are

still a majority of offenders still serving in Parliament and quietly, under the table the same

fiddles are going on

WHERE HAS THE TRANSPARANCY GONE ?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
All too often I hear the race card being abused by those acting the victim when most of the time it is self-inflicted and has nothing to do with race but that is their ace up their sleeve that nobody will dare challenge and fear, being called a racist.

How many white people in Asia feel a hard done by minority and cry the race card everytime they want to get their way use it as an excuse? Now how many non white people in the west use that get out of trouble card?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Really.. why is anyone surprised at what this guy said? You see right there what he just said? It just goes to show that even highly vaunted historians have no idea what they are talking about, black culture my ass. You know what, it's starting to get sickening just to prove my point that dark skinned folks.. including black folks are just like everyone else on this dirtball.

As for this person, he's just ignorant. And he obviously forms to the common stereotype that prevalent in here in America.. all black people are "gangsta" or wanna be gangsta (wanksta) and are therefore violent, emotional and destructive.

*yawn*

So, this guy has no idea that this "gangsta" theme is only show cased by the youngins in school and the obvious thugs. This guy has no black friends, because if he did they would have broke it down. That "gangsta" stereotype is only supported by the low earning, poverty stricken areas here in America. But you know, it's really not worth breaking it down because like i said.. it's getting tiring just to show that black folks are just like everyone else. And their are constant research, studies, sound bits etc just to show to the world that we aren't.

Oh boy, i'll add more later i think.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This guy has obviously never heard of Vanilla Ice.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The problem is that everyone feels high on condeming them and setting a punishment that measures their anger.

How about solving the problems rather than becoming judge.

Too many judges not enough leaders.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This guy is smart...he has his finger on the pulse of whats happening and he is 100% correct...too many have gone over to the dark side
edit on 8/14/2011 by Homedawg because: dawgsbaine

Mod Note - Please Review - Courtesy is mandetory
edit on 14/8/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
David Starkey took one for the team! Respect.

He didn't say anything 'racist'. Starkey has a higher intellect than the rest of that BBC panel combined. He was talking common sense. His cultural observation was indisputable. Of course, If you so much as sneeze in the vicinity of a non-white the BBC will call you a racist.

The irony is, the BBC has become a seriously racist institution. However, it's racism against the white majority, so it's OK.

The good news, based on the support Starkey has received, is that the wind is definately changing here in the UK. People are sick to death of the liberal, politically correct, cultural marxists. Their days are numbered.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Firstly, allow me to congratulate you in entering the ignorant ranks of the racial opportunist Evan. Well done!

Let me start by clearing up the mistake you made about the 'different reactions from the different communities'. As you rightly pointed out 3 asian men and one caucasian man were killed over the course of these events, the difference being that they were killed by rioting members of the public... Not by the police force with which tensions remain on a constant high due to unnaccountability over injury and death caused by said police force against typically the black community. You can reject the notion but it has been a problem for a long while, even you must know that! People were outraged Evan and the police had questions to answer. My only problem with these riots is that its original purpose was diluted into this shameful and opportunistic free for all perpetrated by the youth of today. I would have been behind an uprising/protest/demonstration against the police but I definitely have to draw the line there.. No excuses for theft by any means! It wasn't a BLACK thing either Evan as I'm sure you would have seen in the activities in Manchester later in the week.

You also managed to sully the name of a dead young man too.. Well done again Evan! The has been no evidence whatsoever that Mark Duggan (the murder victim and precursor to the riots) had ANY repeat ANY connections to criminals ' all of England ' as you put it. It is even questionable that this poor guy was even carrying a weapon aswell because if the police can lie and say that he fired at them and hit an officer (when in actuality, he DIDN'T) then I don't believe it would be beyond them to plant a weapon to justify and conceal their brutality.. It wouldn't be the first time would it!

So please, the next you feel like being ignorant just don't. Its not really what this site is about Evan!!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Really.. why is anyone surprised at what this guy said? You see right there what he just said? It just goes to show that even highly vaunted historians have no idea what they are talking about, black culture my ass. You know what, it's starting to get sickening just to prove my point that dark skinned folks.. including black folks are just like everyone else on this dirtball.

As for this person, he's just ignorant. And he obviously forms to the common stereotype that prevalent in here in America.. all black people are "gangsta" or wanna be gangsta (wanksta) and are therefore violent, emotional and destructive.

*yawn*

So, this guy has no idea that this "gangsta" theme is only show cased by the youngins in school and the obvious thugs. This guy has no black friends, because if he did they would have broke it down. That "gangsta" stereotype is only supported by the low earning, poverty stricken areas here in America. But you know, it's really not worth breaking it down because like i said.. it's getting tiring just to show that black folks are just like everyone else. And their are constant research, studies, sound bits etc just to show to the world that we aren't.

Oh boy, i'll add more later i think.

So rather than READING his comments IN CONTEXT, you accuse him of racism???

THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE!

This is about GANG CULTURE that is BASED on Afro-American gang culture, which has been propagated by hollywood, the music industry and has been absorbed by every nations ferals on earth.

So I suggest you stop, breath, have a think, then come back with a more reasoned comment

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join