It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All 50 States See Record Highs in July - 2,712 high temp records either broken/tied

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Europe record low, after last years blistering heat.
This year, much of North America has record heat....not just the US, also Canada shared our hot misery.

I heard something about a huge dome of high pressure stuck over the middle of the US causing much of the heat.
And La Nina playing a part?
Then, Environment Canada said this hot weather would be around until about mid August.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm sure it was very hot in Minnesota, but 134° ? No, I don't think so. Do you even know how hot 134° really is? So many people would have dropped dead from being outside, as Minnesotans are not acclimated to that sort of heat.

I've been in Iraq for 2 summers, and 120° was normal, higher if you were standing on asphalt or some other circumstance, and it is beyond excruciating and brutal. Honestly, I'm not even sure I ever experienced up to 134°, even in Iraq. That's pretty high, and I'm not going to factor in body-gear, or vehicle cabin temps. You really cannot imagine what over 130° is, so if it happened in Minnesota, it would have been a really big deal, more so than what we are hearing. Just saying.

We're talking Death Valley and Sahara desert temp. territory here.
edit on 1-8-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm surprised WA was breaking heat numbers. Summer here has felt really mild to me. I always bitch about the heat but haven't really yet. Had one night it was too hot to sleep, a few popsicles and benadryls later, I was OUT.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I just hope all of the coaches and instructors let the kids have multiple water breaks. My band instructor was brutal, but even he wasn't stupid enough to not let us have water when it would get hot like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm from WA too. I don't know about the westside,but here on the east side we haven't broke any records. In fact it's a cooler summer this year than it was last year.Not to say that it's still not hot.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KSprepared

Actually, La Nina affects the Gulf Stream, which affects Europe.

La Niña is defined as cooler than normal sea-surface temperatures in the central and eastern tropical Pacific ocean that impact global weather patterns.

Link

More Info

Please educate yourself and deny ignorance, instead of embracing it by flat out refusing to look at the facts presented.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It was not the whole state having record breaking temps. Just certain weather stations. From the article

--At least one weather station in all 50 states set or tied a daily high temperature record at some point during July.--

It is a sensationalistic article that fails to give the whole story, but implies something completely different.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This just in! Summer hot, winter cold!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Southeastern Kentucky is where I am...
I put a thermometer in the sun today around 1pm... to see how hot it was...
128.3 Degrees Fahrenheit is the result...
and to be honest...
today was one of the better days...
as far as heat goes...

the hottest I ever remember it here was 1993...
120 degrees Fahrenheit
Wasn't that a super moon year?
Maybe a connection?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I just spent at least 5 minutes looking for this thread!!

Ok well.... I am in Australia and it is supposed to be winter. it is 27 degrees again today and hot.

what is the reason for it? they always claim it is elnino or something like that...but it is definitely weird.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I think this article is a tad bit misleading. Even if some weather station in Oregon reported record temps, the state as a whole has experienced much cooler weather than is normal for the summer months. In fact, I just heard today that our annual blackberry festival is going to have to use frozen blackberries from last year because all the blackberries are still green. Also, because of the extremely mild weather, our cherry trees produced about two weeks later than normal, and our tomatoes are still a ways from being ripe.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Actuall,y not all 50 states:

Washington & Oregon have had the coldest spring in allmost 100 years:

www.brucesussman.com...

I totally love it.
Before last summer(2010) I actually begged that the summer would not be to hot, then asked tptb(mother nature? God?) to skip summer alltogether...

My wish has been granted a year later...

We had a couple warm days around here in Seattle in July, but NOTHING like a normal summer.

I have been very grateful for not being in the middle of the states during this heatwave tho...

Stay safe, move to the PNW!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
This may be a tad bit off topic but I live in Pennsylvania and we had the brutal heat from the midwest come in for about a week or so and since then I have noticed a LOT of dead leaves...the ground looks like its fall. Is this normal after a heatwave?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
the temps are part of the story, but the dew points and heat indexes are more worrisome by far. more water in the air coming from more evaporation resulting from warmer temps globally

heat waves are nothing new, and it gets hot in the summer, but when you have 3 decades in a row being "the hottest on record" that my freinds is a trend even rushbo could see

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
6:27 P.M. and Weather.com says temp is 99 with an index of 114. Our central air unit hasn't shut off all day. Been this way for a few weeks now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join