It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All 50 States See Record Highs in July - 2,712 high temp records either broken/tied

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

No state in the union was safe from July's blistering heat wave, according to data from the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.

The horrible July heat wave, lasting weeks in some cities, the entire month in others, affected nearly 200 million people in the United States at some point. Preliminary data show that 2,712 high-temperature records were either tied or broken in July, compared with 1,444 last year, according to the NCDC. At least one weather station in all 50 states set or tied a daily high temperature record at some point during July.

Some of the craziest temperatures in the article
Blythe Station in Riverside County, California - 120 degrees
Gila Bend Station in Maricopa County, Arizona - 120 degrees
Northway weather station in Southeast Fairbanks County, Alaska - 97 degrees
And those above were without the heat index

City of Morehead, Minnesota - Heat index of 134 degrees! Holy cow! Minnesota of all places! Although this one could be a little off,

The National Weather Service later said this reading could be an anomaly due to the local weather station's location in a very wet field, and not representative of the entire town

Im down in North Texas and today has been quite a heater again. I believe it was about 108 I think....and there dosent really seem to be an end in sight yet. We currently have had 30 days with over 100 degree temperatures. If we make it past 42, then we set the record for our own longest length of over 100 degree consecutive days.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Felt like middle east in michigan about a week ago. 105

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This is why I come to ATS. Thanks for the info. Atlanta is hot too!

I starred and flagged you, as I hope this will lead to some interesting discussions, as to WHY its this hot.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wonder if this is related to the epic drought ? maybe the air is getting warmed over the dry and arid landscapes, and moving on ?

cue the oil company shills who will come and tell us it's bad data or alarmism in 3....2.....1.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is why I came on to ATS today, to discover what members know or are saying about this incredible heat wave in the US.

I saw on the local news this afternoon we are expecting 121 degree's in Monett Mo. wednesday.

We are at about the same place you guys over in Texas are and there is no relief in sight here either.

You know, people do not seem to allow the reality to sink in, sort of like it has alwyas been this way in the hot summer or something.

Scary stuff.

Pets and the vulnerable need our full attention.
edit on 1-8-2011 by antar because: Spelling...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hot AND rainy here in Illinois. (I was going to say wet but it wouldn't have sounded very nice).

We broke the July record for rainfall.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sounds like a nice time to get a tan, i personally hate hearing on the radio and tv that its the hottest or coldest anything since records began, makes it even worse that records go back about 200 years, thats just 4 short lifetimes. And naturally the records are going to echo across a whole region,no one can expect north and south carolina to have different weather systems. weather doesnt follow state borders.
It means in the past 200 Julys this one has been the hottest, strange how people get scared by things like this if when your talking about odds it is nice to put it in context, in poker you have odds of 258 to 1 chance of drawing a stright, which means odds wise you have more chance of drawing the hottest july since records began than you do of drawing a stright (and i pull at least 10 strights in ever game of poker i play). I know its not really a fair comparison.

Still a great post and interesting to know.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Felt like middle east in michigan about a week ago. 105

You aren't kidding. I checked the temp last week when I went to bed one night.....90 with a heat index of 105, at 930pm! It's a good thing you can barely go 10 miles in any direction without walking in to a lake here in Michigan, haha.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

The drought is pretty bad. We've barley gotten any of the rain we are supposed to for the entire year. I think it has only rained twice in the past few months.

I dont think the drought in particular is the worse in history, but it is still very very bad.

www.mysanantonio.com...

The drought has spread over much of the southern U.S., leaving Oklahoma the driest it has been since the 1930s and setting records from Louisiana to New Mexico. But the situation is especially severe in Texas, which trails only California in agricultural productivity

About 70 percent of Texas rangeland and pastures are classified as in very poor condition, which means there has been complete or near complete crop failure or there's no food for grazing livestock. The crop and livestock losses could be the worst the state has seen — perhaps twice the previous single-year record of $4.1 billion set in 2006, said David Anderson, an economist with Texas AgriLife Extension Service.

reply to post by antar

Pets and the vulnerable need our full attention

I can only imagine how the wildlife is doing right now. I saw this link awhile ago. amarillo.com...

LUBBOCK - The extreme heat and persistent drought in much of Texas is taking its toll on wildlife, with animals abandoning or unable to feed their young.

That article came out about half a month ago. I would think the situation for wildlife would be worse now, getting worse day by day.

That article also gives a little bit more information on how dry it has been.

Texas A&M University researchers have found that February to June was by far the driest on record for that five-month period with a statewide average of 4.26 inches of rain. The next driest occurred in 1917 with 6.45 inches.

The drought has been going on even longer, however, with October to June also the driest since official climate record keeping began in 1895 in Texas.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
120F in July in Blythe is a record?

en.wikipedia.org...

The record high temperature was 122 °F (50 °C) on July 7, 1920, and June 24, 1929.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I believe the article was talking about the weather station, instead of the town, but Im not 100% sure. The article could be a little wrong. This is all what the article says in the Blythe station part.

Two weather stations tied for the hottest temperature recorded during July. The Blythe station in Riverside County, Calif., and the Gila Bend station in Maricopa County, Ariz., both hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit (48.9 degrees Celsius) in July.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by consigliere
reply to post by buni11687

This is why I come to ATS. Thanks for the info. Atlanta is hot too!

I starred and flagged you, as I hope this will lead to some interesting discussions, as to WHY its this hot.

It's happened before:

On this day in 1911 record temperatures are set in the northeastern United States as a deadly heat wave hits the area that would go on to kill 380 people. In Nashua, New Hampshire, the mercury peaked at 106 degrees Fahrenheit. Other high-temperature records were set all over New England during an 11-day period.

wattsupwiththat.com...

Heat waves are not new and if you look throughout the weather history for the last 100 years you will find quite a few. Do you remember the insane heat wave that hit Europe in 2003?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wait a minute...this can't be true for Oregon.

It's been overcast, cloudy, rainy, and cold for much of the month. When the sky is clear it has only hit about 80.

I just don't see "all 50 states" being accurate.

I'll have to look into it summore.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So this is normal? I have never seen the weather act like this before. All I know is that this is not normal. And many inueit people believe the sun/weather has changed.

But our science and technology has said otherwise. There is a conflict with these issues. WE have our humen senses for a reason, to see change. We have probably 100,000+ years of our senses versus science, telascopes.

Not only that, humen senses can not be bought out to create FALSE INFORMATION, such as science. not saying everything in science, but perhaps we are indeed ready for something new.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is about normal, for Texas, though. Maybe it is a few degrees hotter, but not much. Th panhandle is the place that is setting all the records, but below that, it is more or less normal.

As for the drought . . . normal as well. I have lived in Texas all my life. We go through rainy times, and drought times. It is always cycling on a 10-15 year rotation. But the media makes a big deal about it, just like they did in the 90's. Just like they did in the 80's.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
www.infiniteunknown.net...

This shows some evidence that the gulf stream has been damaged

Notice the 3rd link there, Coldest winter in 1000 years
en.wikipedia.org...

Record low temperatures
[edit] Sweden

Many cities in Sweden had their coldest December since the beginning of recording temperatures. The average temperature in Gothenburg was -6.2C. which was 2.5C colder than the old record. In Örebro the coldest temperature in December since 1886 with -26.6C was measured. The coldest temperature that was notfied in December in Sweden was -42.1C. in Nikkaluokta.[32]
[edit] Norway

Trondheim, Norway's third biggest city located in Central Norway, experienced the coldest November since the beginning of recording temperatures in 1788. Especially the last week of November saw temperatures 12–14 degrees Celsius (22–25 °F) below normal.[20] The average temperature in Oslo was -1.7C in November 2010, the coldest since 1968 which had -2.1C.[33] The record low for Norway in November 2010 was measured in Karasjok in Finnmark, the northernmost county, on the 27th, showing −35 °C (−31 °F).[20]
[edit] Northern Ireland

Castlederg, in western Northern Ireland recorded a new record low temperature of −18 °C (−0.4 °F) on the 19th December 2010.[34] The previous Northern Ireland record was −17.5 °C (0.5 °F).

The same location then beat this record on the morning of 23 December, reaching −18.7 °C (−1.66 °F).[35]

This guy won't allow me to post video here, but here is the link, How Gulf Stream affects Jet Stream - Jet Stream regulates the weather:
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-8-2011 by KSprepared because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
North Texas will probably set multiple record highs this week, which is quite an accomplishment for Texas. They're saying Thursday might be 110 *insert a smiley dieing here*. I plan on being a hermit for the next week, only going out when I have to. A little over a week and a half ago they were saying that we most likely wouldn't even come close to beating the all time 42 days of 100+ in a row. Now they're saying we will easily get to 38 days. I don't know what anyone else that lives in North Texas thinks, but I think we'll be giving that record a run for its money. I'm really happy I'm not in high school anymore, because this is when summer band camp really gets going. I would hate to have to be outside marching in the middle of this (especially since it was on concrete).

No matter where you are in this heat wave, make sure you stay hydrated and keep an eye on your neighbors (both 2 legged and 4 legged).

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSprepared
www.infiniteunknown.net...

This shows some evidence that the gulf stream has been damaged

. . . .

That is normal as well. The Gulf current is constantly changing due to the effects of El Nino and La Nina.

Please see this page for more info.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by riddle6

. . .

I'm really happy I'm not in high school anymore, because this is when summer band camp really gets going. I would hate to have to be outside marching in the middle of this (especially since it was on concrete).

. . .

Band camp and two-a-days just started for football.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Those patterns may affect the US, which they do, but patterns out of the Atlantic affect Europe. There was snow accumulation in Africa. I saw a video of a zebra eating snow. The weather is messed up, if you want to argue differently, I'll let you, but you will have to argue with yourself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join