It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trillion Dollar Coins That Could Save America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

There's one thing i don't get about this coin idea, wouldn't it cause massive inflation?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how much money they print. Money is simply a means of exchanging goods. Eventually someone is going to want to turn exchange those dollars for goods or services and if too many dollars in circulation then there will be a shortage of goods when everyone tries to exchange money for real things. Of course this means that some people will find they can't get what they want despite having money so they'll outbid other people and offer more for the same thing. This is what devaluation of the dollar is.

Printing more money in any form is a joke because you can't use money. You have to trade it to get something useful.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Lets fix the problem that was caused by exploiting loopholes in the system by yet again exploiting a loophole in the system.
Kinda like spending more to get out of debt. This cant be the best we can do.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by asmall89

lol , I dont think the value of money has to match the material its made from. It would be hard to find a substance worth 1 trillion that could be made into a coin. I think Anti matter comes in at 62.5 trillion a gram though

Woo Hoo! Now is the time to sell! Storing that stuff was getting expensive.

Actually, though, Federal Reserve Notes are backed by something even rarer. The "Full Faith and Credit of the United States Government." I don't think you'll find an ounce of that anywhere in the Universe.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

SAVE?!?

This would destroy America! The dollar would become worthless overnight!

You can't just print up $2 trillion out of thin air!

What are we, the Weimar Republic?!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Yes. The dollars you have in your bank account would lose value literally overnight.

edit on 30-7-2011 by FTD Brat because: spelling

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

SAVE?!?

This would destroy America! The dollar would become worthless overnight!

Going to happen sooner or later... Why prolong the agony?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I knew the fall of the dollar would be fast... but almost instantly?

The instant the treasury deposits the coin or coins (I figure they'll just make one $2 trillion coin) the markets will go into a tailspin as the value of the dollar falls dramatically.

Oh well, at least we know how it'll all end.

I agree with Ron Paul on this issue though. Don't raise the debt limit, and recuse the debt owed to the Fed by the treasury. The default might be painful, but the situation a pair of $2 trillion coins would create would be catastrophic.
edit on 30-7-2011 by FTD Brat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This literally makes my head hurt it's so stupid. This would punch a hole in the American dollar big enough to drive a truck through. You see what happened to Zimbabwe after the Bush War ended? They currently have trillion-dollar bills in circulation. Deposit what you want into the Reserve, it'll just inflate the value of the dollar. If this is seriously being considered, I wouldn't want to be in the US next week.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The almighty, predominant global superpower; the United States of America, cannot be completely defeated until its back is broken, and it falls paralyzed, gasping for those last few precious breaths.

Almost ready for the death blow now.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

you have to admit its gotta be nice to be government imagine what we could get to do.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
bad idea if you ask me
people won't know what to do

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well if we are going to print 2 coins, we might as well print 20. Use 14 of them to pay of the debt, and use 4 of them for next years spending and the last two should get us through the rest of this year.

We could then give everybody a tax free year next year.

The downside, We will need all the money we can hold onto seeing it will take a wheelbarrow full of Benjamins to buy a cup of coffee.

The upside - the country will be debt free for a couple of years.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenceOfSilence

People are talking about a trillion here or there without really understanding what a trillion is... But it hardly matters now.

Between the current and near future liabilities and obligations, the $14.5 trillion in debt, and the deficit, the US is facing about $80 TRILLION to deal with.

What is the GDP of the entire planet?

Bah, why sweat the little things?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

en.wikipedia.org...

think that answers your question quite surprising

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hey, isn't this about the same thing Zimbabwe did as they crashed into oblivion with inflation %'s in the thousands? I seem to recall they just printed higher and higher denominations until counting the zeros to buy bread would give anyone a headache.

Or the Weimer Republic...

This isn't good. Not good at all.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

and USA's weapons are not outdated right .. maybe you should check Yamantau ,uragan defense and the 200 underground cities that Russia has ,which are meant to withstand mass nuclear assault.

secondly check Elipton super weapon of Russia ...it is the most powerful torsional superweapon ever made by man and HAARP is a piss poor copy of the Soviet Sura system.

thirdly read about the psychotronic weaponry of Russia ,refer psychotronic Golgotha

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
i don't see this as very likely. sure, there's a loophole, but no country in their right mind would do something so stupid. the government has done some pretty stupid stuff, but this would be economic suicide.

does anyone have credible information on how likely this is? i just don't see it happening.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
What a joke...

Just like amerika.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
How on Earth does 5% of the world's population own 33.67% of it's wealth??
Whereas Asia has 52% of the population and 24% of the world's wealth..

these systems are hilariously flawed.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join