It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trillion Dollar Coins That Could Save America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_007

Master, While I agree with you 100%,there is no way in hell the U.S. Government is going to let 500,000 trained soldiers sit on Military bases waiting for orders and collecting paychecks.

Are you crazy? Our military may be stoopid...but they know why those people aren't here.

Safety,Control,and Profits

Keep It Real

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
WOW. If my household goes into debt, instead of cutting back and working harder, wish I could just print up some money.

I wish i had a nail in my nailgun for every person, right or left, who tried to compare running a nation of 350 million to a 'household'.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Originally posted by pikestaff
Do you know the Bank of England has million pound notes? I cannot remember if its ten or twenty of them, used for internal accounting, so there is nothing new about high denomination notes ( apart from the Weimar inflation notes)

Id had no idea we had printed 1 million pound notes

The million pound note was issued in connection with the Marshall Aid Plan after World War II and was intended for internal use as ‘records of movement,’ for a period of six weeks only. It is believed that nine examples were produced and only two, Numbers Seven and Eight, survived.

The two notes were given as mementoes to the respective U.S. and U.K. Treasury Secretaries. The Number Seven was first sold in 1977 and is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as being the highest denomination note in private hands.

edit on 30-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This would be impossible, unless the Treasury has 35,112,359 lbs of Platinum sitting around in its vaults.

1,000,000,000,000/ $1780 (current price of platinum per an ounce)
= 561,797,752 ounces of platinum to make 1 Trillion dollars.

561,797,753/16 (ounces per lb) = 35,112,359 lbs of Platinum to make a 1 Trillion Dollar coin

Plus you know the treasury would have to print the money to buy the platinum (adding more to the debt) assuming they don't have enough platinum.

Carry that coin around in your pocket

edit on 30-7-2011 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

lol , I dont think the value of money has to match the material its made from. It would be hard to find a substance worth 1 trillion that could be made into a coin. I think Anti matter comes in at 62.5 trillion a gram though

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by asmall89

lol , I dont think the value of money has to match the material its made from. It would be hard to find a substance worth 1 trillion that could be made into a coin. I think Anti matter comes in at 62.5 trillion a gram though

Unobtainium perhaps?

LOL

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
reply to post by Pervius

and russia can survive and win a nuke war....

next...

Hahahahahahahhahahhaha hhahahahhhaahaha cough cough cough, hahhhhahahhhhahahhhhahhhhaahahhaha Yeah right! Russia is so outdated with their milltary they would never know what hit em trust me, oops sorry to be off topic
But seriously good luck with all that lol

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Sounds nice but in the real world eveyone in that chain would hold back a bit and save it for later so in the end you may only get $5 to make the full round trip. It is like a lot of things. They look nice on paper but just do not work in the real world.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Now I know why they are all looking for alien life from outer space. They are looking for someone else to borrow money from. I wonder what the exchange rate is for 'space bucks'

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

the presidential dollars are made of bronze, doubt if it matches the value of the bronze in it. the copper in the penny is worth more than the penny....
the silver in a silver eagle is worth quite a bit more than a dollar...
whatever the value of the metal of their trillion dollar coin, I bet it's value is more than the paper that the federal reserve note is printed on!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
this is the same thing as printing as much money as you want with a printing press, it will lead to inflation.

besides, i would try to steal one and make a necklace out of it. behold, the most expensive bling in the world!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I've got an idea for a game show they could raise some funds with its called:

"Who's Dumber than a Legislator"

think outside the box

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this sucks.... my friend got arrested for printing money...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
god this sucks, none of this is even worth anything.

gold isn't worth anything, nor platinum, or money or any of it. all that matters is life and we're wasting it away playing monopoly. we could give everybody a trillion right now just for nothing, the world would still go round and everyone would be happy.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sailormon

you and i think alike i been saying for a while now the whole thing
nwo mason religion just magik once you figure out the trick look around all of the world has been
mesmerized like a 6 yr old at a magic show
now hoard nickles the only money we make with value everybody can afford

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Now I know why they are all looking for alien life from outer space. They are looking for someone else to borrow money from. I wonder what the exchange rate is for 'space bucks'

even in space they use gold, ie Gold-Pressed Latinum

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
'Tis truly a sad day in the Union when we are told that the answer to all our problems is more funny money. It's gross; Ohbummer, his cronies, Janet Incompetano and Bernanke, all of them are gross. Promise me, my friends, that when this nation is re-claimed we fry these criminals in a federal court and punish them to nothing less than the fullest extent, 'cause I am tired. I would storm the Capitol tomorrow if I could.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yeah that's what I thought right after I wrote my post. They probably meant the treasury could coin two coins and say they're worth 1 Trillion dollars.

An antimatter coin there we go! Problem solved. Or maybe some dense radioactive mineral like plutonium could do the trick.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vtcajun

Take a macro economics class sometime.

Jobs are never created because you think people need them. They are created because there is more demand for goods and services then there is capacity to service that demand.

That demand comes from the bottom, where all demand comes from.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmall89
This would be impossible, unless the Treasury has 35,112,359 lbs of Platinum sitting around in its vaults.

Wrong. Interesting math, but you are completely missing the point here.

The whole loophole that would allow Geithner to do this is based on his power to issue platinum coins in any DENOMINATION.

Such a coin does not have value based on its metal content. It has value based on the legal authority of the US government. In other words, it's fiat money, just like the ordinary coins in circulation today, which are made of metal which is worth a tiny fraction of their legally denominated value.

The denominations he can issue gold and silver coins in are specified. Thus there is no loophole to exploit there.

The loophole is that he is allowed to issue platinum coins and no particular denominations are specified.

More realistically would I think be 1000 billion dollar platinum coins(1000 coins made of ~1 oz of platinum denominated at 1 billion dollars each). This would require ~62.5 pounds of platinum. They would fit in two ~31.25 pound sacks, and allow an average grown man to carry 500 billion in each hand.
edit on 30-7-2011 by 11andrew34 because: clarification

edit on 30-7-2011 by 11andrew34 because: math lols

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join