It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicagos new curfew

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i believe laws such as these are put into place due to the fact that so many parents out there are a complete waste of skin.

i am a parent myself, and im all up in my kids life, i have a 14 & 6 year old, and even tho its summer they do not need to be outside after 8:30pm.

i grew up with parents who did not do their job correctly,and i got into a lil trouble cause i knew as long as the police didnt catch me i was not going to get into any trouble from the so called parental figures, so i understand why this is in place.

As an adult now that has kids, i see the importance of being a parent and making sure your Kids do the right things at all times.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If parents can't control their children then too bad. The gov shouldn't be doing it.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
If parents can't control their children then too bad. The gov shouldn't be doing it.

Yeah forget about crime rates. Let the 12 yr olds run the streets. Hey, let's legalize drunk driving while we're at it. The gov't shouldn't be controlling how people operate the vehicle they pay for with their hard earned money. And school... if the kid doesn't wanna go to school, let him sleep or whatever they choose to do with their day. The gov't shouldn't be tellin us our kids have to be educated and stuff! Its their God given right to be a dumb drag on society... This is America! Land of the FREE! How dare the government!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watts

Yeah forget about crime rates. Let the 12 yr olds run the streets. Hey, let's legalize drunk driving while we're at it. The gov't shouldn't be controlling how people operate the vehicle they pay for with their hard earned money. And school... if the kid doesn't wanna go to school, let him sleep or whatever they choose to do with their day. The gov't shouldn't be tellin us our kids have to be educated and stuff! Its their God given right to be a dumb drag on society... This is America! Land of the FREE! How dare the government!

Let's not legalize drunk driving. (WTF? The hell does drunk driving have to do with the topic at hand.)

It's up to the parents to make their children go to school.

It's up to the parents to keep control of their kids, not the cops.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation
I hate to even waste a post replying to you people. So because some kids are out of control you believe it is proper to punish them all? Un-fricken-believable. Just goes to show you how the nanny state mindset is propagating throughout this country. Yes, massah, please save us from ourselves. We promise we gonna be right proper folk from now on.

You want the nanny state so bad? Why not move to England?

And you really think your safe in rural America? LOL. When the National Guard rolls into town and tells the police chief or town sheriff to comply or face arrest for treason or sedition, what do you think is going to happen? I'll guarantee your family isn't going to be in charge.

Get a clue people.

How is it punishment? What does a 12 yr old kid need to be doing in the streets of CHICAGO after 8:30pm????
That's literally the equivalent of saying "why do all babies have to be in a car seat in the back seat just cuz a few died sitting in the front passenger seat? Why should they all be punished because a few parents didn't know how to drive?? THE GOVERNMENT IS A FASCIST NANNY STATE!"

LOL... some of the stupidity on display in this thread is amazing. I'm really in shock that this is a cause for anger and outrage lol... good ol' America. "Where everyone gets mad at the wrong things."

Based on the replies to this thread, I see why curfews are needed for little kids.... there's a lot of bad parents willing to defend their irresponsible parenting here.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Let's not legalize drunk driving. (WTF? The hell does drunk driving have to do with the topic at hand.)

1. I was using sarcasm to point out how dumb your logic is but apparently you missed that too.

2. & 3. WOW.... sooo apparently, you've NEVER heard of Truancy Police in your whole life huh? They kinda... ya know... patrol the streets... looking for kids that aren't in school during school hours... since ya know... Truancy is kinda against the law... *facepalm

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

1. I was using sarcasm to point out how dumb your logic is but apparently you missed that too.

2. & 3. WOW.... sooo apparently, you've NEVER heard of Truancy Police in your whole life huh? They kinda... ya know... patrol the streets... looking for kids that aren't in school during school hours... since ya know... Truancy is kinda against the law... *facepalm

As I said. It should be up to the parents to decided wether their children should go to school.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been said yet, but what about homeless children? Homeless families?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

As I said. It should be up to the parents to decided wether their children should go to school.

Well thank God you're not in control of anything important.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy
I don't know if this has been said yet, but what about homeless children? Homeless families?

Unfortunately... that would probably be an issue for child protective services.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The same goes for you.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The same goes for you.

I know right. Heaven forbid our kids become educated and come in the house at a decent our. Next thing you know we'll actually be required by law to feed em too.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by NuroSlam

Care to list those reasons? A 12 year old should be in bed @ 8.30pm-9pm max. Even my 17 year old is not allowed to wander the streets at any given time at night and is always in bed by 10.00pm-10.30pm.

So whats the problem?

LOOL I feel so sorry for your kid

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The same goes for you.

I know right. Heaven forbid our kids become educated and come in the house at a decent our. Next thing you know we'll actually be required by law to feed em too.

If your kid isn't interested in learning, the kid won't learn. The kid will sit in class daydreaming.

It's up to you to make sure your kid comes home at a decent hour. Not the cops.

That's certainly what you can expect if you depend on the government to keep your kid at home. Next thing you know, there will have to be a law to feed your kid.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I lived in Chicago for a while. Lots of kids not being taken care of here. Could never sleep because they were always on the streets late at night, playing in the alleys. Prolly should be a curfew as the parents here are a lost cause. Chicago is a very segregated city, with lots of "slums". I had a neighbor in one of my last apartments, it was a one bedroom, with 15 crazy kids. They were from Kentucky, moving to the city to escape an arrest. Those kids would be throwing bricks at cars, robbing apartments, etc....
Chicago is messed up, and is truly windy regarding the weather AND politics. Its corrupt and they don't care about the poor, or helping they're situations ( they BULLDOZED Cabrina Greene/public housing). Add in that crazy cold- along with being poor and not taken care of, and you have a recipe for wanderng grifters/street kids/gang members/thieves.

(...the police are a little corrupt too. they used to bust into my apartment all the time. once they busted in while me and my roomate were playing chess....that was the funniest look I have ever gotten from a police officer)
edit on 30-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I believe crimes commited by the youth, or drug use,alchohol ect. are social issues reflective of the breakdown of morals in the adults, monkey see monkey do i guess. I do not believe that the government taking over parenting of children is the sollution, as this does nothing to address the root causes of the issue. Poverty, adult drug abuse, alchoholism, domestic violence, lack of education resulting from said issues, all have a more damaging effect on children in the long run. The main targets of this policy will be the poor areas I am sure, i bet dollars to donuts that this will not apply to the posh neighborhoods, or Rom's neighbor's children. So how does taking money from already cash strapped parents and placing it in the hands of a obviously corrupt government's coffers fix the problem? All those parents who would allow this or any other government to dictate to them anything regarding their children are not fit to be parents. It would be a cold day in hell before i allowed the same people who are screwing over the American public, and countless other countries every day to be the moral police. Mabey the world would be a better place if you cowards would stand up to the criminals at the top instead of blaming the ones at the bottom. But i guess that would be to much effort and you might have to give up the few crumbs you get that fall from their table. Better to just bend over for them, instead of addressing the real issues plauging America.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As much as I applaud this law, for those uncaring parents who don't seem to understand the dangers of their children being out at night, oh let's say, since it's dark some pedophile might just snatch them, because the parents are too stupid to realize no child should be out at night. I can't help but criticize it at the same time. No one should be telling me what time my child should be home. If a parent is too stupid to realize that it's dangerous once the sun goes down, they shouldn't be having children in the first place. This is where children services comes in. My daughter NEVER leaves my sight, nor will she ever, unless she's at school of course. (She's only a year, mind you)

What next, are they going to have a bell they ring at 1pm to tell us we must feed our children, or we'll be given a fine?

Children should be at school, regardless if the parents want them to or not. Just about all children would prefer not to go to school so they can play, why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CHILDREN. They do not understand the consequences of not getting an education. Sh*t, if it was up to the parents, most children would not attend school.

Just my 2 cents =)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In my opinion, this is just plain STUPID!

The cops have enough on their hands, and now they have to play taxi or child-picker-upper? You kiddingme?

How will they afford to enforce all this non-sense? What about Mr. Adult Burglar, Mr. Drug Dealer or Mr. Murderer? Since chasing these types may involve a shoot-out or possible loss of life or injury, it seems to me that the cops will avoid pursuing the REAL bad guys, and just deal with the little ones because it does not place them at risk, makes them feel like they did something good, and brings in the bacon which secures their paycheck. The real criminals will not be affected by this one bit. While the copper's are bringing the little ones home and issuing citations, the REAL bad guys are left to do as they please.

Parents are responsible for their kids actions - I agree there. But Chicago is over-stepping their bounds into the home and the private dynamics of a family. That is NOT where government should be.

How dare anyone tell someone else what time is right to be in bed or at least at home? We are not in a police state yet (although we are getting there pretty fast). This is not Nazi Germany!!!

I disagree 1,000% with Chicago and their stupid curfew implementation. Does anyone really think this will benefit the kids? I don't think so. It will benefit the city's wallet. That's it.

If a kid or adult wants to commit a crime, the curfew will not stop them. Never has and never will. Criminals don't obey the law. They scheme to break or avoid the law and know very well how to do it.

I think we are only fooling ourselves if we believe this will lessen the crime rate.

-E2
edit on 30-7-2011 by EyesII because: Clarify myself.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It just goes to show you that here, especially in America, the education system is flawed, outdated, and basically dead. We don't place a value on it. We have a broken system, with broken teachers. If we actually pumped as much money and time into it, we could fix so many problems with our country- and maybe even the world. But here in America its quick "Duct-Tape" fixes...shoddy workmanship in need of constant repair and maintenance....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Crapspackle

Try employing the young folks and I'll bet breakins would go down 99%.

Typical conservative response: instead of caring, sharing, and make life better for everyone, clamp down, control, and lessen it.

Where's the three-strikes law for passing dumb laws?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join