It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicagos new curfew

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Big Brother never had to tell me how to be a responsible parent but when I see young kids roaming the streets late at night as young as 9 years of age over here in Sydney......it sickens me to the stomach because these little ones are always amongst teens also without curfews getting in to all sorts of trouble when they should be at home in bed or with their heads in their school books.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
i grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and we always had a curfew, exceptions were always made if you had a legit reason for being out. Some parents do not seem to be able to keep an eye on their children and someone has to. This is the "it takes a village" concept in action. i used to tell my kids (now grown adults), "If you don't learn to control yourself someone else will control you". Loose control of your kids and this is what has happens.

City workers (police) tend to be lazy, do you think they want to deal with this? But, on the other hand they would have to deal with vandalism, gang thuggery, thieves etc.
This in the long term is probably going to cost Chicago money as it will most likely be those who cannot pay fines. Plus, the court appointed attorneys and other court costs. But i'm sure those in decision making positions have weighed that against crimes being committed by youngsters out late at night and the cost which comes with that.

i now live about 90 miles from ST.Louis and East St. Louis and crime and shooting by youths is extreme. And no one is moving there, including business. So these cities are dying. Something has gone wrong with our culture.

What else are you gonna do with thug kids roaming around? This law was not made because nice polite children were getting to stay out at night because their parents seen fit. This is to force bad parents to be at least watchful parents. Come on we all know how the urban areas are (urban is not code). The problem is they have to blanket, they can't say so and so isn't allowed out after curfew and so and so is.

i live in a rural area where everything closes at 9:00pm. so what is there to do after 9:00pm? Party... and youngsters shouldn't be partying because the get into other trouble. Like i have already said, something has gone wrong with our culture. And i am a socially a progressive liberal and fiscally and child raising a conservative so i try to look at both sides of it.
edit on 30-7-2011 by trika3000 because: extra letter

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Unless the constitution or Bill of Rights set age limits, which I don't believe they did, then by what power can a Government body enact these laws??

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Children don't have rights... until 18yrs of age and then gain some more at 21

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The constitution does not mention age..

Children have rights...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Let me add to my response post... you can legally be emancipated if you are under 18

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Bad parenting aside, since when did the government decide it knows what is best for your children. Is this some sort of ruse to get us used to martial law?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Yeah, tell me about it. Govt should enforce curfews even here in Australia. I'm sick and tired of all the graffiti, drunk kids etc on our streets. The average 16 year old has more rights than parents this day and age but education does start at home and alot of parents fall short of their responsibilities!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

i think the constitution does mention age requirements, President has to be older than 35, individual states can't make the age of senators higher than 25. Individual state constitutions and bills have their individual laws... Such as how old you can be when you can marry, drink and such... Of course children have rights not to be harmed and abused, what i meant is they cannot actively participate in the system. Voting has an age limit. Everthing concerning children and their rights about age can be found on the internet.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Putting bad parenting aside, when did Govt know whats best for your children? When bad parenting got out of hand!!!!! HELLOOOOOOOOO!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Unless the constitution or Bill of Rights set age limits, which I don't believe they did, then by what power can a Government body enact these laws??

There are lost of age restrictions to laws in the US. The constitution does not say anything about being 16 to drive but try taking a car for a spin at 13. When the government has to keep stepping in because parents cannot keep their children safe or out of trouble, then it behooves the community to enforce parents to keep those kids off the street altogether. I would rather pay taxes toward a curfew then to pay taxes toward tracking down car stereos and muder victims. Trust me, if someone's kid is out in my driveway after sundown and his parents or the cops are not around to protect my car, they are going to wish they had kept their child home that night.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam
At no point did i say I live in Chicago, I live in Phoenix, and I grew up in Dallas, sorry but my parents would allow me to stay out at friends houses later when I did well in school.

So when you posted this

I'll give you one right off the top of my head. Its summer so no school, I personally live in a very secure area so the idea of my 12 year walking between buildings (patrolled by police and private security) at 9:15 at night for it not to be a sigh of bad parenting skills, but of a little extra leeway in growing up.
edit on 30-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

in regard to your OP about Chicago, you did that because...?

That is nice you have a safe place for your 12 year old to wander around after midnight and all but this is about Chicago, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

And that same crime could have just as well happened at 8:00 at night, or even noon time. Its about parenting and while you may feel the need to have big brother tell you how to raise your child I do not share that belief and I don't like the idea of being forced to be some automaton that has no clue how to raise a child.

You do not get it. If you are being a good parent already, no one is going to tell you how to do it. If you are letting your 12 year old roam around Chicago all hours of the night, you are not being a good parent.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

The city of Chicago govenment decided when children were running amok like little thugs. Chicago is an open all nite city, for resturants, hotels, bars and clubs where adults spend money. The theft and vandalism and drug trafficking by the youth was getting out of hand. As i mentioned about St.Louis and East St. Louis is my previous comment, those towns are dying because of crime. No one wants to go to downtown St. Louis anymore at nite. It's getting bad in urban areas. i've lived all over the USA Chicago, San Fran., L.A., and Phoenix that is why i retired in a rural area. Something has to be done. And fear about martial law is merely fear. Americans (especially rural Americans) have guns. And in rural areas everybody knows each other including the police, so who gonna enforce martial law our sons and daughters in uniform?
edit on 30-7-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

We didn't have that stuff in the 70's, so it was stay at a friends a little longer doing what kids do under supervision, government has been stripping parents of their responsibilities since the introduction of the Federal Public Indoctrination system.

Your very own thread is about children who are apparently NOT being supervised.
Did you read your OP?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Personally I believe it's also a case of bad policing..

I know here in Melbourne our police and pollies constantly talk about underage children being drunk etc but they NEVER arrest them..
Why not??
They have let it get to this stage as much as the parents have because there is NO punishment..
IMO there's no money it so it's better to concentrate on motorists that go 3klm/h over the speed limit..

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I don't know about the laws in melbourne but this is how bloody stupid the laws are here in NSW.....

Your kid can not purchase alcohol or cigarettes under the age of 18 but if your kid under the age of 18 visits his/her friend's house and alcohol is served there and consumes alcoholic drinks, it's not illegal and Police can do nothing.
edit on 30-7-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

True but if they are on the street it's a different story..

I remember that Cory idiot with the yellow glasses..

Police say there were hundreds of drunken kids but guess what, NONE were arrested and charged..

What is that telling these fool kids??
Go out, get drunk and cause trouble because the police will NOT touch you..

There should have been multiple charges that night and parents should have had to pay..

Instead you suggest that ALL must suffer freedom loss whether they are good or bad..
That's what I disagree with..
Why should everyone suffer for the crimes of the few, especially when authority seems uninterested in policing..

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

The fact is, it's not in small numbers; this has now become so rife especially among teenagers. We DO have a problem out on our streets, a very big problem especially in Victoria, NSW and Qld.

I personally think the legal drinking age should be increased back to 21.

I don't feel my liberties are lost when curfews are enforced, in fact it would'nt apply to me simply because I do have strict curfews anyhow...so how would it affect me?
edit on 30-7-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The fact is also that if they had of been policing their OWN LAWS properly for years then it would never have come to this..

They create the problem, then react and come up with a solution, which as always means the average citizen relinquishing more of their rights and freedom..

SOP mate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join