It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Chicagos new curfew

page: 1
11
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Really not a lot to say other then I am completely NOT shocked, especially from this mayor. You know the one, never let an emergency goto waste guy Rahm Emanuel
Its short so heres the whole thing, use liberal editing when replying, it makes things interesting


CHICAGO, July 29 (UPI) -- The Chicago City Council has established new curfews for children under 12 and parents of repeat violators could pay heavy fines, officials in City Hall said.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel has given his blessing to the curfews, which require the young children to be inside by 8:30 p.m. weekdays and 9 p.m. on weekends, the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.

Emanuel said parents who exercise "insufficient control" could be fined up to $500 or community service if their young children receive two curfew citations in a calendar year, and fines up to $1,500 for "three strikes."

"I grew up with a curfew," Emanuel said. "When the lights on the street went on, you took your tail and made it home and [got] in the house. And that's what I believe is the right policy for the safety and security of our kids … it means that we're aligning good parenting and the laws of the city."

Former Mayor Richard Daley set the curfew times two years ago at 10 p.m. weekdays and 11 p.m. weekends for children under 17. The same curfew had also applied to younger children.

There it is, government needs to teach you parenting.
www.upi.com...



+7 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There is no reason why young school age children need to be roaming the streets past 8.30pm full stop. It's a shame that the Govt needs to put curfews on your youngsters because so many parents just simply don't have a clue about proper parenting.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Will the parents in Chicago please stand up and show your local government that you can handle your own business.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam
 

Quit picking on the angry little Jew.

Line 2



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
There is no reason why young school age children need to be roaming the streets past 8.30pm full stop. It's a shame that the Govt needs to put curfews on your youngsters because so many parents just simply don't have a clue about proper parenting.

One could actually give a number of reasons a 12 year old may be out on the street at 9: Especially in areas of higher population.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Wasn't this the same city government that deemed parents unfit to pack their own children's lunches?



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Care to list those reasons? A 12 year old should be in bed @ 8.30pm-9pm max. Even my 17 year old is not allowed to wander the streets at any given time at night and is always in bed by 10.00pm-10.30pm.

So whats the problem?



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Care to list those reasons? A 12 year old should be in bed @ 8.30pm-9pm max. Even my 17 year old is not allowed to wander the streets at any given time at night and is always in bed by 10.00pm-10.30pm.

So whats the problem?

I'll give you one right off the top of my head. Its summer so no school, I personally live in a very secure area so the idea of my 12 year walking between buildings (patrolled by police and private security) at 9:15 at night for it not to be a sigh of bad parenting skills, but of a little extra leeway in growing up.
edit on 30-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
when will they ever get it through their thick heads that parenting is the parents responsibilty not the governments.

this is what fascism looks like or totalitaran rule

but i expect this from the guy from the party of never let a good crisis goto waste and when theres not one make one up.


cant stand that guy and all i say is glad i dont live in chicago
edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
when will they ever get it through their thick heads that parenting is the parents responsibilty not the governments.


When will parents start parenting? They implemented a curfew here. Know what happened? Car breakins went down 87%.
If mom and dad cant keep the kids inside or under thumb, then the cops are going to have to.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


What part of Chicago do you live in?



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Firstly, there is no secure area for kids to play in regardless of what time it is day or evening. It's this mentality that got an 8 year old Jewish boy murdered in a supposedly "safe and secure" area where they too have their own private foot patrols and police. Thats worst case senario but nevertheless, # happens.

Every country as summer holidays and daylight saving does'nt help but growing up comes all in good time; wandering the streets at 9.15pm is not going to teach them anything other than trouble either they get in to or it comes to them.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96
 


Parenting is the responsibility of the parent but unfortunately there's lack of that in many areas so Govt has no choice but to enforce it on the parents.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Care to list those reasons? A 12 year old should be in bed @ 8.30pm-9pm max. Even my 17 year old is not allowed to wander the streets at any given time at night and is always in bed by 10.00pm-10.30pm.

So whats the problem?

I'll give you one right off the top of my head. Its summer so no school, I personally live in a very secure area so the idea of my 12 year walking between buildings (patrolled by police and private security) at 9:15 at night for it not to be a sigh of bad parenting skills, but of a little extra leeway in growing up.
edit on 30-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)


Its funny that you object to this. No GOOD parent is gonna let their 12 year old child run the streets after dark in this modern age... we're not talking a 70's era suburb in some pristine middle of the road town... we're talking CHICAGO. Ever read about its crime rate? I'm guessing you haven't.

Hell, they're not even teenagers... they don't have a job, can't drive, have no after hours places that they need to be... there's no GOOD reason for a 12 yr old kid to be out alone in Chicago past 8:30pm. Its kind of ridiculous that you're trying to argue otherwise.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crapspackle
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


What part of Chicago do you live in?

At no point did i say I live in Chicago, I live in Phoenix, and I grew up in Dallas, sorry but my parents would allow me to stay out at friends houses later when I did well in school.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Firstly, there is no secure area for kids to play in regardless of what time it is day or evening. It's this mentality that got an 8 year old Jewish boy murdered in a supposedly "safe and secure" area where they too have their own private foot patrols and police. Thats worst case senario but nevertheless, # happens.

Every country as summer holidays and daylight saving does'nt help but growing up comes all in good time; wandering the streets at 9.15pm is not going to teach them anything other than trouble either they get in to or it comes to them.

And that same crime could have just as well happened at 8:00 at night, or even noon time. Its about parenting and while you may feel the need to have big brother tell you how to raise your child I do not share that belief and I don't like the idea of being forced to be some automaton that has no clue how to raise a child.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Wow, when my kids won medals and decent school reports, I had a system where I "purchase" them off the kids for Westfield shopping centre gift cards to they can go and buy something they want be it a video game, clothes or sporting gear.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


Wow, when my kids won medals and decent school reports, I had a system where I "purchase" them off the kids for Westfield shopping centre gift cards to they can go and buy something they want be it a video game, clothes or sporting gear.


We didn't have that stuff in the 70's, so it was stay at a friends a little longer doing what kids do under supervision, government has been stripping parents of their responsibilities since the introduction of the Federal Public Indoctrination system.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam

Originally posted by Crapspackle
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


What part of Chicago do you live in?

At no point did i say I live in Chicago, I live in Phoenix, and I grew up in Dallas, sorry but my parents would allow me to stay out at friends houses later when I did well in school.


my, aren't we special.

was that 30-40yo?

or last year?

they should get the kids off the streets, everywhere.



posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by NuroSlam

Originally posted by Crapspackle
reply to post by NuroSlam
 


What part of Chicago do you live in?

At no point did i say I live in Chicago, I live in Phoenix, and I grew up in Dallas, sorry but my parents would allow me to stay out at friends houses later when I did well in school.


my, aren't we special.

was that 30-40yo?

or last year?

they should get the kids off the streets, everywhere.

I think its clear I live in Phoenix, perhaps you have heard of it and its crime?



new topics

top topics



 
11
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join