It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicagos new curfew

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
So, how does the government know the best way to raise a child. Last I heard, foster children and those that are kidnapped from their parents by the state are far more likely to be arrested or comet crimes. Seems quite clearly that the governments tactics create criminals. Well I hues the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Let parents decide what is best for their children, not power hungry politicians.

Oh, I believe it is also beneficial for children to be slowly given freedom over time to teach proper decision making and a bit of real world experience. If kids are not given this opportunity, when they are finally free from the jail they call home they will more likely not know how to control themselves. Children should be given the opportunity to make mistakes to learn from this mistakes. It is not however the governments responsibility to protect everyone from everything on the planet, I mean, every time you get in your car to drive to work you have a better probability of injury then walking down the street in the dark. If parents want to give their children freedom then that is their decision to make.

This reminds me of a story.....
My fiance has a coworker who left her children with their grandmother for a weekend and the grandmother went out to pick something up from the store and left the children at the house temporarily. Well the neighbors called the cops for some reason and now social services is making the mother take a drug test, I guess to prove competency or something. What incredible over-regulation is this that parents are no longer allowed to teach responsibility and self control by testing them in situations where thy are alone.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

It's much like the change in road rules over the ditch that has since saved 35% of young drivers under the age of 21. It was suggested to be enforced here in Australia but the Govt said no.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

I think you are over exaggerating. This is about curfews for young kids in Chicago. To understand where the mayor comes from...he's Jewish and Jewish parents do have strict curfews on their children.

I can't stand Rahm Emanuel, I know who he is and where his father comes from and what Benjamin Emanuel was.......but I have to agree with Rahm Emanuel on this new law.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

It's much like the change in road rules over the ditch that has since saved 35% of young drivers under the age of 21. It was suggested to be enforced here in Australia but the Govt said no.

Victoria already has the most severe speeding and drinking laws in the western world..
The Fed does not decide state road laws..

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
i say gather them up and sell them to mongolia.

or vietnam for the war reparations.

send them to papua to clear jungle.

hold them till the parents come and get them.

hostage, what's wrong wit dat?

you parents don't know where your kids are at 11:00pm?

eta; any with tatoo's send to el salvador

edit on 30-7-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

The fed does not decide state law but can influence them

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I hate to even waste a post replying to you people. So because some kids are out of control you believe it is proper to punish them all? Un-fricken-believable. Just goes to show you how the nanny state mindset is propagating throughout this country. Yes, massah, please save us from ourselves. We promise we gonna be right proper folk from now on.

You want the nanny state so bad? Why not move to England?

And you really think your safe in rural America? LOL. When the National Guard rolls into town and tells the police chief or town sheriff to comply or face arrest for treason or sedition, what do you think is going to happen? I'll guarantee your family isn't going to be in charge.

Get a clue people.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Who is talking about punishing anyone? Having your children at home at night should not be considered a punishment. It makes one wonder what being home with you might be like.

Few years back a 13 year old was shot dead in a yard because he was stealing change out of the ashtray of a parked car. The kid is dead and the husband and father that was protecting his property is in prison.

The curfew is working out much better and if there are 12 year old kids out there that do not like it, too bad. People need to stop allowing their childrent to roam the streets at night. Not every town is all nice and safe. Not every homeowner waits for the police to come. I will take snotty teenagers having to go home at night over being shot in the street over pocket change any day.

One man's punishment is anothers life saving technique.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

i understand you aren't talking about the Chicago curfew. But the Chicago police didn't create the problem of youth being a major pain in the arse. That was created by failing parents and the youth themselves. Sometimes parents have no control over their children no matter what.
My daughter when she was 16 was brought home by the police for tresspassing on railroad property. We dealt with it at the doorway, the police said good nite and that was it. This was in the Chicago suburbs.
Now, parents start complaining about how their child is being disrespected and whatnot (same with problem in schools with teachers). i've seen this grow over the years.
If i did something wrong my mother and father took care of it and the police would send you (or bring you) home knowing the parents would deal with it.
For some reason and i'm not sure why, our culture has changed. Parents blame the schools for their failing kids (mine were home schooled so i could be blamed), then if and when kids get out of hand and the police are involved it's the polices fault.
No every individual is responsible for their own actions, and parents are responsible for their children, and if those children cannot be raised by their parents as to not disturb the rest of us who also have rights, then the system will take over and assert my (and your) rights to live in a safe community. And what is deemed a safe community is the community itself. This is why some cities in America are nice and some suck.
Chicago wants to be a world class city, San Francisco does too, so they "take care of business" so to speak. New York was getting out of hand and they cleaned up Times Square. Sometimes problems arise out of this as San Fran was getting stricter so a lot of transient youth (hippie kids) moved up to the Seatle and Vancouver areas where now those police feel overwhelmed and react poorley, but it's to get rid of them (where are their folks?).
No one wants to deal with anybody else kid or problems (we're all too lazy and self absorbed). But once the tipping point is reached someone is going to react within the community. And sometimes it is gonna seem heavy handed, but if the original control was there to begin with (which is the parents) then the problem wouldn't arise.

Generally nobody cares what the heck anyone does as long as it doesn't involve them. But when your stereo gets stolen, or your car stolen, or your business spray painted, or crack hos are on your childs walk to and from school, or zombie meth heads are walking around your neighborhood the tipping point gets reach. Rahm is trying to handle the situation before it's totally out of control (it already is out of control).

Of course there is corruption within the Chicago police and city departments (it is Chicago) but that's a totally different level. That level is golf clubs, horse racing, real estate and high end union jobs and stuff like that, not juvenile delinquency. i went to school with enough mobsters kids and they were very well behaved (dad didn't want no problems with junior).

As for some impending encroachment on our rights all you have to do is move to another city that doesn't have these limits. Or move into the counties and areas where there are no cities or towns. i lived in a very rural area about ten miles from where i live now and it was infiltrated with meth-labs and junkies because of the lax county codes and police enforcement. So i moved to a better place, closer to the city but still rural and with a different type of people. i do not want to fear being bit by a loose pit bull or jumped by some tweeker if i'm out walking at night. And even though i could carry a sidearm why is it my responsiblity to have to shoot some idiot when i pay taxes for others to control (maybe shoot) that idiot.
America is big enough and varied enough you can find kindred spirits anywhere.

This paranoia that America is going to create martial law, or drag us to some Fema camp is ridiculous.
Look how they do it, Lybia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pannama, Granada, all they do is come in with supersonic jets that you never see and boom-boom-boom-out go the lights. Then they canvas the areas with drones and helicopters to pick of the rest You'll never know what hit ya. But that is another level. We can't be confusing our levels of control and saftey.
The Globo-Narco-Military-Industrial complex don't care about what the ants do as long as you stay out off their kitchen. Something which Noreaga, Sadam, and Ossama didn't understand as they thought they too were big league players.

Sorry backinblack for my response turning into a rant

edit on 30-7-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2011 by trika3000 because: because my stupid eyes can't see what i write

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Well, somebody does. In my neighborhood, there are very young children, ages 5-8 out at 9:30 p.m. riding bikes in the middle of the street, or just walking around. No parents in site. This is a set up for trouble, or someone could get abducted too.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Curfews are for protection and security, not punishment. Wise up. Children today are not taught responsibility or respect by their parents, so someone has to intervene. Even when I was a child there were curfews, and you know what? Very little crime and we never heard of abductions.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

stop lying, you know darn well that you don't make your 17 year old go to bed at 10pm.

jeez, the nerve of some people?????

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Oh please. This issue is about safety for everyone. Especially the kids.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
He said he grew up with a curfew. So, where did he grow up at, Berlin?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

PALEEESEE, take the wool from over your eyes, here Ill do it for you. This issue is about more control of his city and it starts in the homes. If he can control the home-front then he has control of the streets then he has control of his city. Then the President gives him a nice pat on the back for doing as he is instructed. Like everyone in here has been saying, little by little until there is no more....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

Oh yes I do make my 17 year old go to bed by 10.00pm....lights out at 10.30pm. Perhaps thats partially why he's doing well in school?

I'm an old fashioned parent with old fashioned rules....I have very little respect for the new comers who keep trying to remind me this is 2011.....which is why they should be even more strict than I am.

See Rahm Emanuel and I come from very similar backgrounds with the same belief system when it comes to family.
edit on 30-7-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

"I grew up with a curfew," Emanuel said. "When the lights on the street went on, you took your tail and made it home and [got] in the house. And that's what I believe is the right policy for the safety and security of our kids … it means that we're aligning good parenting and the laws of the city."

Well Rahm, when I was growing up in the 70's, my parents let me play outside in the dark, in the yard so we could catch fireflies until 10:00 pm. We also loved pitching tents and sleeping outside in the summer time. We used to sit outside until midnight sometimes, just watching the stars while grandma slept in her recliner by the window and kept one eye open on us. Amazing times.

Amazing that Rahm feels the need to tell other parents how they should be raising their children.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
EH... I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I am against the gov't impeding upon us and how we live our daily lives. But what need does a kid under the age of 12 have to be out past 8:30 pm on the streets of chicago? I'm sure this doesn't apply to the kids being out past 8:30pm with their parents. But with all of the child abductions, and shootings each year this may not be a bad move.

Damn that is hard for me to say!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hmm. What happens when Rahm says we need a curfew for adults? It's too dangerous for adults to be out late at night, so all adults need to be home by say, 9:00 pm.

Will you all be complying with this, since it's for your own safety?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I support the curfew for unsupervised kids under 12 in Chicago, because the parents (of the Black kids) do not care. The curfew also exists for under 18 kids but at a later time.

What this does is allow the police to stop and pickup kids and return them to the parents due to the dangers on the street in the bad neighborhoods. Also many being picked up ARE the bad kids stealing and killing other kids.

In other good towns where everyone is honest and cares for each other, this is not a problem and I don't care there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join