It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt Ceiling: Why Not Cut Off The Welfare Checks Too?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

The level of hate in this thread, imo, is too high for me to find tolerable.

No wonder our nation gets by with so much war.

The level of hate is MANUFACTURED by the elite.

This is why Government agents DESTROYED the printing plates for Congressman Lindbergh's two books:

“Why Is Your Country at War ?“

and

“Banking and Currency”

If you want the real reason for our wars:
Days of Infamy and The War on Terrorism

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

How can you say that people on social security are obese and lazy? You can't even collect social security unless you paid into by working on the books for years. That is just a lazy statement on your part.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I put up a very ignored (and admittedly highly speculative) thread awhile back called "bloodless coup" in which I wondered if the new Republicans were planning to just let the Federal Government shut down due to lack of funds. I put that thread up during the budget meetings. One of the things that made me think it is that the the Republicans made special funding arrangments for the Military (and the military only) for the remainder of the calendar year. Was a bit of a red flag for me. Why fight each issue you disagree with (each entitlement, each example of federal over reach into the rights of the states) on a one by one with a democrat controlled legislature and in full view of the press. Just dig in your heels, and don't agree to the money, shut the whole thing down.
It would give the Republicans issue and social wins galore and might explain their entrenchment now when it otherwise seems like the are painting themselves into a crazy corner.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I can't believe some of the responses I have read on this thread.

You know, there ARE people on welfare who are lazy, I don't know the percentage, and I grew up watching a few welfare families that could of been working but had been on welfare their entire lives, so I know it exists, and people do take advantage of the system, but not everyone, and not the MAJORITY.

For everyone who says simply to get a job, well I hate to break it to you, but it is NOT that simple anymore. I have been looking for a year, and have found nothing. The older you get, the harder it gets, I havn't given up, and am actually reapplying at places I have already applied at.

I have relocated twice trying to find something, not just small re-locations, but 1000's of miles.

I am sure once we get our economy straightened out, it will not be so hard, but right now, if you don't have a degree, chances are, it is going to be VERY hard to find work unless you live in a large city, where jobs can still be found, and even then, like I said, the older you are, the harder it is to find work.

It is damn depressing. I hate being on food stamps and not being able to provide properly for my wife and daughter. I should of had no problem finding work here, but there just isn't any....

Anyone who says different needs to walk in my shoes for a few days and see what happens when a hard working person suddenly finds themselves almost homeless with no job, and no money for food.
Did I put myself in this situation? NOPE, due to circumstances beyond my control our lives and our apartment suddenly collapsed, ironically, not due to the economy, but due to a slum lord and exposure to black mold.

You cut off welfare and people will die, plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I put up a very ignored (and admittedly highly speculative) thread awhile back called "bloodless coup" in which I wondered if the new Republicans were planning to just let the Federal Government shut down due to lack of funds.....

Interesting.

Given the Banker/Corporate elite fund the ReBoobs and DemiRats, one wonder about the actual REASON for this "bloodless coup"

Are they trying to force a smaller government

OR

Are they insuring "Global Governance 2025" ???

The National Intelligence Council.

The NIC is a center of strategic thinking within the US Government, reporting to the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and providing the President and senior policymakers with analyses of foreign policy issues that have been reviewed and coordinated throughout the Intelligence Community.....

The National Intelligence Council is pleased to release Global Governance 2025: At a Critical Juncture. The report, produced in conjunction with the European Union's Institute for Security Studies, is a follow-on to the NIC's 2008 Global Trends 2025 study. Global Governance 2025 provides an informal contribution to an important international debate on the way forward for global, regional, and bilateral institutions and frameworks to meet emerging challenges such as climate change, resource management, international migration flows, and new technologies. While not policy prescriptive, the report shares a strong belief that global challenges will require global solutions. The report's primary purpose is to help policymakers in the US and abroad to chart a course for effective management of international problems. In addition, we hope that it will stimulate a broad-ranging debate among academic and nongovernmental experts.

Global Governance 2025 is innovative in many ways. It is the NIC's first unclassified report jointly developed and produced with a non-US body. The report is a culmination of a highly inclusive process that involved consultations with government officials, media representatives, and business, academic, NGO, and think tank leaders in Brazil, China, India, Japan, Russia, South Africa, and the UAE.....

www.dni.gov...

If you may recall John Perkins of Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

...Covertly recruited by the United States National Security Agency and on the payroll of an international consulting firm, he traveled the world—to Indonesia, Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and other strategically important countries. His job was to implement policies that promoted the interests of the U.S. corporatocracy (a coalition of government, banks, and corporations) while professing to alleviate poverty—policies that alienated many nations....

Perkins writes, "The book was to be dedicated to the presidents of two countries, men who had been his clients whom I respected and thought of as kindred spirits–Jaime Roldós, president of Ecuador, and Omar Torrijos, president of Panama. Both had just died in fiery crashes. Their deaths were not accidental. They were assassinated because they opposed that fraternity of corporate, government, and banking heads whose goal is global empire. We Economic Hit Men failed to bring Roldós and Torrijos around, and the other type of hit men, the CIA-sanctioned jackals who were always right behind us, stepped in.... www.democracynow.org...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

you're a sheep. Obama never wanted to take away social security and medicare in order to start repaying the debt, instead opting to repeal the harmful bush tax cuts for the rich. Obama only agreed to consider touching social security and medicare as a compromise so that republicans (obligated to serve the wishes of their wealthy corporate campaign donors) would allow a bill that removed the bush tax cuts to pass in the senate.

Touching medicare and social security was soley a republican idea . You're looking at reality through a heavily filtered lens
edit on 20-7-2011 by beansanmash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I can't believe these types of threads...nothing but thinly veiled racism.
Unbeknownst to many and as quiet as it's kept most social welfare recipients are CAUCASIAN.
The biggest recipient of welfare by the way ARE CORPORATIONS,,but we don't want to mess with them because they are too powerful, right?

Go ahead and cut off welfare...you would only be hurting for the most part OTHER WHITE PEOPLE

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I can't believe some of the responses I have read on this thread.

You know, there ARE people on welfare who are lazy, I don't know the percentage, and I grew up watching a few welfare families that could of been working but had been on welfare their entire lives, so I know it exists, and people do take advantage of the system, but not everyone, and not the MAJORITY.

For everyone who says simply to get a job, well I hate to break it to you, but it is NOT that simple anymore. I have been looking for a year, and have found nothing. The older you get, the harder it gets, I havn't given up, and am actually reapplying at places I have already applied at.

I have relocated twice trying to find something, not just small re-locations, but 1000's of miles.

I am sure once we get our economy straightened out, it will not be so hard, but right now, if you don't have a degree, chances are, it is going to be VERY hard to find work unless you live in a large city, where jobs can still be found, and even then, like I said, the older you are, the harder it is to find work.

It is damn depressing. I hate being on food stamps and not being able to provide properly for my wife and daughter. I should of had no problem finding work here, but there just isn't any....

Anyone who says different needs to walk in my shoes for a few days and see what happens when a hard working person suddenly finds themselves almost homeless with no job, and no money for food.
Did I put myself in this situation? NOPE, due to circumstances beyond my control our lives and our apartment suddenly collapsed, ironically, not due to the economy, but due to a slum lord and exposure to black mold.

You cut off welfare and people will die, plain and simple.

Folks like the ones you have mentioned won't care until it happens to them.
Too bad Karma is not an instant occurence....
I wish you the best of luck

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
One thing that bothers me. How does Obaam think he can cut off Social Security? That money comes directly out of my check? So weekly/biweekly money is there to cover it, direct from the taxpayers(us)! If SS is that secure with there money i, they should buck up out of the trust fund? How much has our government stolen from it?

The bigger question to ask is, since they say they can not pay it, were is the mmoney and were are my weekly confiscations going too?
edit on 7/20/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/20/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by beansanmash
reply to post by Alxandro

you're a sheep. Obama never wanted to take away social security and medicare in order to start repaying the debt, instead opting to repeal the harmful bush tax cuts for the rich. Obama only agreed to consider touching social security and medicare as a compromise so that republicans (obligated to serve the wishes of their wealthy corporate campaign donors) would allow a bill that removed the bush tax cuts to pass in the senate.

Touching medicare and social security was soley a republican idea . You're looking at reality through a heavily filtered lens
edit on 20-7-2011 by beansanmash because: (no reason given)

True.
I wouldn't denigrate sheep by calling the OP that..more like a troll and a flamethrowing one at that.
I imagine that the OP may be sufficiently young enough that he/she does not realize that everything in this World is not black or white, that there is plenty of gray in between and that neither failure nor success are static. Life can go from being good to being very bad in a New York minute and no one is safe from these hills and valleys in life until the day they drop dead.
edit on 20-7-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Can I quit work and have the government send me a check?

Can I quit work and have the government provide a FREE college education?

Can I quit work and have the government buy my groceries?

Can I quit work and sit at home and "live the good life" ???

I guess not - Since I try to make something of myself I have to keep squeaking by ... Those on the government draw live better (and that isn't fair or right or should be).

What should be is if you don't work you don't eat .... least for the men of the country ....

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nazarenec
reply to post by SirMike

Can I quit work and have the government send me a check?

Can I quit work and have the government provide a FREE college education?

Can I quit work and have the government buy my groceries?

Can I quit work and sit at home and "live the good life" ???

I guess not - Since I try to make something of myself I have to keep squeaking by ... Those on the government draw live better (and that isn't fair or right or should be).

What should be is if you don't work you don't eat .... least for the men of the country ....

With all due respect you haven't the foggiest notion what you are talking about.
One can't get enough Government grants to get a complete free ride through college..college isn't free for ANYONE in this country unless you have a whole crapload of grants and/or scholarships. The majority of the college funding is from LOANS.
ANY benefit you get from the Government (whether State or Federal) HAS some SERIOUS STRINGS ATTACHED and if you did any measure of research, you would discover this. No strings attached if you are out in the workforce drawing a paycheck - how can getting a Govt benefit be better than that?
Last time I cared to look there is a limit on how long a person can receive Welfare..thus no lifetime recipients - that is BS.
Do some research.
But I know thast won't happen because your preconceived notions and ingrained beliefs must be propped up at any cost.
edit on 20-7-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
How can you cutoff taxpayers?

They pay taxes and will pay taxes for the rest of their lives you can't just cut them off,it would be chaos lol..unless that's the plan!

Give them jobs if there are so many!

Need schooling?Give people free schooling and stop making the people who can't afford it pay for it!They pay taxes.Why should they have to pay to go to school too??Use some of the trillions of tax dollars you take from the people!

Everybody pays taxes.So it's only fair everybody gets free schooling.That way people have the experience.Then when they are done school,there should be a job waiting for them.Provided by our trusty Government!

Why make it so only rich people can get proper schooling?It's not fair!So only rich people get the good jobs?

So you go to school which doesn't guarantee you a job when your done and you're left owing thousands of dollars for the student loan.

That's because they know there ISN'T ENOUGH JOBS for everybody because if there was the government would hook everybody up who don't have one!

Then you can't call them welfare bums lol.The government is responsible for those people being on welfare don't blame the people,they're just trying to survive!It's not their fault the system isn't fair!

That's how you treat your own tax paying people?With scraps not even a dog would eat?A dog would look at it and be like..."what the hell is this?..you can get your own damn paper from now on,I quit"

Instead of giving people a couple of lousy dollars to survive a month..give them jobs and pay them MORE than a cheap little welfare cheque!Then you will see "change".That's where the real problem/solution is.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by ren1999

Good point.

Keep in mind that those who want these benefits to be ended are those who will be literally SCREAMING and CRYING for them when they find themselves broke and jobless!

They're brain-washed sheep!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaganArchangel
college isn't free for ANYONE in this country unless you have a whole crapload of grants and/or scholarships. The majority of the college funding is from LOANS.

I can back up that statement up with personal experience. Most people are certainly not getting a free ride through school, which is one reason why you see news stories about students graduating school and owing 40K or more in loans. Great way to start off that new career! For most people today it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nazarenec

Where do you people get this stuff?

Nobody who "quits" their job gets unemployment.

The bulk of student financing is done via student loans that have to be repaid and which cannot be discharged under bankruptcy.

The majority of those who collect food stamps are either unemployed, or make less then $12 an hour. Plus -- those that make close to the cap, get significantly less food per eligible family member.

I'm not sure what you do to be a "contributing member of society," but may I suggest you try to read twice as much as you talk or type?

That will help a lot!

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Quit worrying about Social Security.
It ain't going no where.
Worry instead about how this country is divided.
Worry instead how we all have become about me,me,me.
Worry instead how easy it is for TPTB can make you hate a group of people you don't know anything about or understand.
Worry that this country is morally and spiritually broke.
Worry how easy it is for us to judge people.
Worry about your country's soul.
And then for god's sake weep.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

We all know how much Obama loathes the military, except for a brief period when they captured Osama and ended up getting a small bump in the popularity polls as a result.

Wait, LAT week he was a war monger.

This week he hates the military?

You guys used to be much more consistent with your talking points.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beansanmash

I'm.a sheep, yet you defend Obama for threatening to cut off SS?

Let me remind you, mine is merely a question, yet Obama is allowed to toy with the lives of SS recipients and military personnel, use them as bargaining chips and get away with it.
Think about that for a second.

Can you not see the point that is being made here?

Blatant and convenient selectivity.
That's b-a-a-a-a-a-d!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join