It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt Ceiling: Why Not Cut Off The Welfare Checks Too?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I don't know how much it is really, but I hear that 1 in 7 Americans is ON food stamps so it must be a significant amount of money that is being pumped into local economies.

In Georgia, according to the latest info I read, only about 61% eligible for them get them. Georgia has been wanting people to apply because it helps state revenues.

In my area, grocery stores have been closing left and right. That's what I mean- it's not a vacumn.

1 out of 7 is a huge, HUGE number.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

And if I may add.

If you give someone on welfare, ssi, or disability around 600.00/ mth, I would guarantee that 100% of that money goes immediately, within 30 days, back into the economy. And most likely, local economy.

These people don't have left over for savings or investments.

However, giving the super rich a tax break, and I would wager they just continue to accumulate wealth via savings and investments. and spending money abroad is much more likely.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
You want to cut off aid checks -- what kind of country do you really want to live in -- really? just really.

What kind of country do you want to be.
edit on 19-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

I dont know one that rewards effort and hard work? not one that rewards knowing how to fill out paperwork, lie about there income, and do whatever the rules allow them to do without any thought of morales or there fellow man!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
I am ashamed and saddened at the speed and ease we Americans turn on each other. Why all the anger towards people who are suffering most, why not be angry at the banks, Wall Street, and the numerous corporations who shipped American jobs overseas, many who avoid paying taxes at all.You want to talk about leeches look at Blackwater and Haliburton and all the other vultures who drain or defense budget. I understand your anger but lets be mad at the people who DID something to put us into this mess.

My husband and I were laid off a month apart two years ago. I worked in a construction related field and he in heavy industry (his company shipped the factory to Mexico) I went back to school knowing I couldn't find a job in my field again. Now that I am out of school there are still no jobs.My husband takes any work he can find but it's all been temporary and pays 1/4 what he used to make. We lived on 14,000 last year compared to 50,000 two years ago. YES we applied for food stamps. I suggest anyone else try and feed a family on the $200.00 a month they give us. Everyday for the last four months I have checked the paper and about six different sites online I am lucky if I can find two jobs a day to apply to. I am registered with five different temporary job agencies and only managing to get 40 hours of work in four months. I dare anyone to suggest that any of this was our fault or that we are leeches. I am so sick of this country and most of the people in it who want to sit and blame the victims not the guilty. Not everyone on public assistance in uneducated, unskilled or unwilling to work.

The plan works, we are so busy blaming and fighting each other that we never see the puppeteer pulling the strings.

2 jobs a day eh? I live in one of the worst hit cites 47th on the list of top 50 biggest cities and i can find far more then 2 jobs a day to apply to...... and we arent blaming the ones looking for jobs and trying at least im not.. Most of us mad have seen first hand the welfare abusers who sit and do nothing to better themselves. Hanging out and chillin while collecting there money from my paycheck.

P.S. maybe you shoud lower your standards 8.00 an hour is more then 200 month in foodstamps even at 10 hours a week.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

edit on 19-7-2011 by ghondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'd work for minimum wage, no problem.

but I am "over-qualified"

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Alxandro,

Let's just give you Republicans what you want and see what happens to the U.S.

Let's end taxes for all investment and interest earnings. Let's lower the rate from 16% to 0%.
Let's raise all taxes on people who get a paycheck to 40%.
Let's raise the sales tax in each state to 20%.
Let's end Social Security with its Medicare.
Let's end all employment insurance.
Let's end all social programs and family assistance.
Let's lower the minimum wage to $5.00 an hour.
Let's bring back indentured servitude and debtor's prison.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Furthermore, if state and local governments end welfare without giving these poor people a job, don't you think they'll start a crime spree, rioting and pillaging?

Let's all keep a close watch on the state of Michigan to see what happens after they end welfare. I bet it won't be pretty.
edit on 19-7-2011 by ren1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
reply to post by Mr Objectivity

i dont know where you live, but in my city, 90% of all the welfare recipients are uneducated folk who breed like rabbits to keep their free money.

i for one am sick of my tax money going to these people and to make bombs. time to spend some of that money on the working class.
edit on 19-7-2011 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

Would you be able to back that unsubstantiated claim with a link of some sort? We're all about denying ignorance around here.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't believe in entitlements and welfare. I believe we need to take care of each other though, as humans who love do.

I also know that living off of 12 bucks an hour, TAXED, isn't much of a living at all, specially in today's economy.

What I do believe in, is having enough WORK for the people in this country.

This is simply not the case.

I DO believe in an honest day's work earning an honest day's pay.

There are extremes going on at both sides of the spectrum.

But, I digress, such are the woes of socia-capitalism.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

...It's almost like his entire term has been engineered to make us lose confidence in the government, the president and our country as a whole. I've never been big on NWO conspiracy theories, but this administration is like a perfect storm of bad decisions. Either it's all engineered to crush our government and soften us up for the NWO, or these are the stupidest, most worthless bunch of nimrods we've ever voted into office.

It is to weaken our country so TPTB can take away our sovereignty. It is no longer a "conspiracy" it is right out in the fraken' open. It looks like they have even set the blasted DATE!

Just before the formation of the World Trade Organization in 1995:
David Rockefeller speaking on Sept. 23, 1994 "This present window of opportunity, during which a truly peaceful and interdependent world order might be built, will not be open for too long — We are on the verge of a global transformation."

Henry Kissinger, World Affairs Council Press Conference, Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, April 19th 199: "The New World Order] cannot happen without U.S. participation, as we are the most significant single component. Yes, there will be a New World Order, and it will force the United States to change it's perceptions."

David Rockefeller in an address to a Trilateral Commission meeting in June of 1991 - "the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world-government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the National auto determination practiced in past centuries" QUOTES

Strong on national sovereignty at the opening session of the 1992 Earth Summit...

"The concept of national sovereignty has been an immutable, indeed sacred, principle of international relations. It is a principle which will yield only slowly and reluctantly to the new imperatives of global environmental cooperation. It is simply not feasible for sovereignty to be exercised unilaterally by individual nation states, however powerful. The global community must be assured of environmental security." -Maurice Strong at the 1992 Earth Summit. www.nationalcenter.org...

However everyone has ignored these warning signs, calling us tinfoil hat nuts. So they have gotten more bold.

Strong served on the U.N.-funded Commission on Global Governance. The Commission's final report, "Our Global Neighborhood" sets forth detailed plans to achieve what is called "Global Governance."

Our Global Neighborhood

Report of the Commission on Global Governance
(ISBN 0-19-827998-1; Published by Oxford University Press, 1995)
A Summary Analysis

The Commission on Global Governance has released its recommendations in preparation for a World Conference on Global Governance, scheduled for 1998, at which official world governance treaties are expected to be adopted for implementation by the year 2000. Among those recommendations are specific proposals to expand the authority of the United Nations to provide:

* Global taxation;
* A standing UN army;
* An Economic Security Council;
* UN authority over the global commons;
* An end to the veto power of permanent members of the Security Council;
* A new parliamentary body of "civil society" representatives (NGOs);
* A new "Petitions Council";
* A new Court of Criminal Justice; (Accomplished in July, 1998 in Rome)
* Binding verdicts of the International Court of Justice;
* Expanded authority for the Secretary General.

...."Next to life, liberty is what people value most," the report says. It also says: "The impulse to possess turf is a powerful one for all species; yet it is one that people must overcome." It also says: "global rules of custom constrain the freedom of sovereign states," and "sensitivity over the relationship between international responsibility and national sovereignty [is a] considerable obstacle to the leadership at the international level,"/ and "Although states are sovereign, they are not free individually to do whatever they want." /.... sovereignty.net...

A year ago in The Global Journal this article appeared Of What Use is Global Governance? written by Pascal Lamy, Director, World Trade Organization (WTO) He speaks of the European Union as sort of an intermediate stage.

...the very incarnation of an international organization of integration in which Member States have agreed to relinquish sovereignty in order to strengthen the coherence and effectiveness of their actions.

...If there is one place on earth where new forms of global governance have been tested since the Second World War, it is in Europe. European integration is the most ambitious supranational governance experience ever undertaken. It is the story of interdependence desired, defined, and organized by the Member States. In no respect is the work complete—neither geographically nor in terms of depth (i.e., the powers conferred by the Member States to the E.U.), nor, obviously, in terms of identity....

Our challenge today is to establish a system of global governance that provides a better balance between leadership, effectiveness, and legitimacy on the one hand, and coherence on the other...

And lastly there is "Global Governance 2025" by by US & EU Intelligence Agencies courtesy of Freedom of Information Act, at cia.gov.

The Atlantic Council has a summary HERE

This report analyzes the gap between current international governance institutions, organizations and norms and the demands for global governance likely to be posed by long-term strategic challenges over the next 15 years. The report is the product of research and analysis by the NIC and EUISS following a series of international dialogues co-organized by the Atlantic Council, TPN, and other partner organizations in Beijing, Tokyo, Dubai, New Delhi, Pretoria, Sao Paulo & Brasilia, Moscow, and Paris. ....

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Cuz you'd suddenly have millions of people homeless and tens of millions of children starving is a very good reason to not cut out welfare. But this attitude only comes because people are taught that poor = lazy and stupid. The truth is quite different.

My question was always this: how can these people pull themselves up by their bootstraps when they can't even afford the laces to begin with?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

And what about the folks that rely on SS checks?
Won't they become homeless as well?
Soldiers have children too, don't their lives mean anything to Obama?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

as it stands right now those who receive social security are the largest voting block in this country....

And when Granny has to move in with Sonny and wife and the two females in the house start cat fights you can add all the sons, daughters and families

I lived with my parents after my divorce and I KNOW where of I speak. There is a darn good reason the chinese symbol for trouble is two women under the same roof.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Are you saying people that live off their Social Security checks don't need their tiny boosts?

Your selectivity sickens me.
If you're going to attack me you need to attack the President too, I'm not the one holding the military and seniors over the barrel.

Where in my post did I say anything about supporting that bastard or his decisions regarding what areas of the budget to cut? I despise the man for the fact that the elderly are hurting because of our broken economy. I could give a # less about our military though. Every one of them who are over seas, engaged in war are traitors to their oaths they took upon enlistment. The fact that they are ignorant that they are breaking their oaths to defend the constitution gives little to their defense. In case you are ignorant of the fact as well, every war that we have engaged in since WWII has been without a declaration of war from the Congress, which is a breach of the constitution.
It is YOU who are being selective. You think that the military should come before our citizens who are hurting due to a #ed up economy that could be easily blamed, partially at least, on the fact that we spend as much on our military as the rest of the world combined, when those resources could have been allocated towards bolstering our economy instead of destroying the infrastructure of third world countries.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
I am ashamed and saddened at the speed and ease we Americans turn on each other. Why all the anger towards people who are suffering most, why not be angry at the banks, Wall Street, and the numerous corporations who shipped American jobs overseas, many who avoid paying taxes at all.You want to talk about leeches look at Blackwater and Haliburton and all the other vultures who drain or defense budget. I understand your anger but lets be mad at the people who DID something to put us into this mess.

My husband and I were laid off a month apart two years ago. I worked in a construction related field and he in heavy industry (his company shipped the factory to Mexico) I went back to school knowing I couldn't find a job in my field again. Now that I am out of school there are still no jobs.My husband takes any work he can find but it's all been temporary and pays 1/4 what he used to make. We lived on 14,000 last year compared to 50,000 two years ago. YES we applied for food stamps. I suggest anyone else try and feed a family on the $200.00 a month they give us. Everyday for the last four months I have checked the paper and about six different sites online I am lucky if I can find two jobs a day to apply to. I am registered with five different temporary job agencies and only managing to get 40 hours of work in four months. I dare anyone to suggest that any of this was our fault or that we are leeches. I am so sick of this country and most of the people in it who want to sit and blame the victims not the guilty. Not everyone on public assistance in uneducated, unskilled or unwilling to work.

The plan works, we are so busy blaming and fighting each other that we never see the puppeteer pulling the strings.

First, I feel for you. I really do. You are exactly the reason that I don't want to see programs indiscriminately slashed.
You are also the reason that I want the people who ARE just sitting back and abusing the system to have to start taking their responsibilities seriously. In many states legitimate, trying to find jobs, unemployed people are getting less money for unemployment than they usually would because the rolls are so high that there isn't enough money to pay out the full amount. So, they slash benefits either by less weekly or fewer weeks. It isn't fair to you and anyone else who is acutally using the safety net the way it was intended that the net is weaker right now because other people have been sitting around playing video games on the government's dime for the last year.
I wish you all the best and hope you find good employment soon.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

.....So you go on and on, blaming everything on the "poor"......

Have you ever lived in the inner city????

Do you have ANY experience of what you are talking about or are you just regurgitating what your Marxists profs have stuffed you with?

(And yes I have lived in the inner city and had rapes and murders out side my window)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I don't know, and that's not the focus of my address in this topic. I know a good bit about what it was to grow up in poverty and have a twin sister who now lives in it and spoke of my knowledge from that angle.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I definitely think he should do it. He needs to cut funding for everything.
IMO the Republicans think he's weak. He needs to grow a pair and say I'm not going to budge. You need to figure out a way to get this done. And when the Republicans fail to compromise he should be all over the news telling the public how the Republicans screwed them out of their money.

Not raising taxes on the rich in this climate when they are still making big bonuses isn't going to go over well.
And it doesn't have to be a big tax increase but a little something to help out.
Reagan raised taxes and everyone loves the guy. I think Obama needs to take a play from that playbook.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ghondon

I have lowered my standards. I have applied at every burger joint and grocery store in town with out even one calling me back. Once they see how much I made at my last job and that I have a degree I suppose they think that as soon as I find a REAL job I would quit. I have gone to day labor at 5AM and waited all day for a job. The work I have done through a temp service was for minimum wage and I was glad to have it. Maybe I am just being picky I could do telemarketing at someplace that will rip me off or start stripping since those are the jobs that are hiring here in my state, that happens to be 48th on the list.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

understand this if your rich all you have to do is pick up and leave the country and they have.

to tax people already paying taxes and when over 50 million people in this country pay no tax whatsoever

that is ridiculous.

you want to know when there are no more rich? think of the former soviet union

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join