It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why God's Word The Bible IS Infallible!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

Originally posted by Glass

“All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean." -- Matt 7:12

If mankind applied this Golden Rule - no matter what religion they belong to, what will be the result?

Ah, now this all makes sense. Obviously, you want people to:

-Question and ridicule your beliefs

-Condemn, persecute, and hate you for your beliefs

-Preach to you and proclaim that their belief system is the one true belief system

-Tell you how to live your life

For this is what you do to others, so shall others do unto you.

i wasn't the one doing the mocking but presenting the facts but right away someone responds with a napkin

in any case there's so much that the bible can offer - but a napkin tissue? is this a serious intellectual conversation?

The napkin analogy does not mock God. It mocks your book that you claim is written by God.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Blasphemy!!! Don't you dare talk about my napkin religion that way ever!!!!!! You ready to feel the wrath of my napkin????

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

EDMC- I noticed that you haven't responded to my post, the relevant portion of which is:

Problem is that you are not reading the Bible, you are reading YOUR INTERPRETATION of the Bible and you are a fallible human reading it through fallible human perceptions. There is a big difference.

Now, this can be said of any reading of any book that requires thinking and considering, but the fact remains-your understanding of the Bible comes from your interpretations or the interpretations of teachers and preachers. Not to say there isn't value in the Bible, because there is, but it is still your interpretation.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Don't feel bad... he's ignoring me too... it seems as though he just wants to make snide comments at the worst of his "enemies" rather than have intellectual debate with those who truly want to discuss the matter at hand...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

[Staff Edit - Off Topic quote removed]

just as the infallible Word of God said:

"knowing this first, that in the last days mockers shall come with mockery, walking after their own lusts," (2 Pet 3:3)

thanks for proving me right!
edit on 18/7/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

ummm... how does this verse apply to people mocking you for claiming that a book, which didn't exist when this letter was written, is the infallible word of God?

I have a feeling context means little to you though... Are you one who twists and contorts texts to suit your own purpose?

there was a time when the word of God was highly respected - but nowadays it's treated like a piece of napkin.

twisting it, comparing its contents as if a piece of napkin.

but to me it's the infallible word of God

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

but to me it's the infallible word of God

I underlined the most important thing you've said on this thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

Don't feel bad... he's ignoring me too... it seems as though he just wants to make snide comments at the worst of his "enemies" rather than have intellectual debate with those who truly want to discuss the matter at hand...

not ignoring everyone - just looking for time to reply back.

As for intellectual debate - i have no problem with that as the proofs are undeniable.

just to mention one - the rise and fall of the world powers, right down to our time is impeccably accurate. Only someone with knowledge of time is able to foretell future events hundreds even thousand years in advance.

If you're familiar with the book of Daniel - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Glad that you saw that - I'm speaking for myself and it's up to you to believe if what saying is true or not.

That is discuss the message not the messenger.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

you are correct there was a time when the Bible was highly respected... usually because there was some kind of corporal punishment for not doing so... that is besides the point though...

I do have a high respect for the texts found within the bible... I personally do believe that there was some "Godly Inspiration" involved...

Just because others mock it through some napkin reference does not give you the right to use a letter from Peter out of context so you can feel "right"...

The fact of the matter is, based on your comments so far, you are very misinformed on what the Bible is and how it was assembled... and it seems to me that you're using a holier than thou hard headedness to mask your ignorance of the book you call the infallible Word Of God...

Of course you are free to believe whatever you want... If like me your faith is not based on reason... as I personally find very little reasonable to the human mind about God then that's fine...

However, when you come into a conversation implying that your faith is based on reason one should be prepared to defend it with an intellectual argument....
edit on 18-7-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: funny fingers

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
What about the verses in the bible that claim that the Bible is NOT the exact word of God?

1 Corinthians 7:12

"But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away."

This alone invalidates the your idea that every word in the Bible is uttered directly by God.

1 Corinthians 7:25

"Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgement, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful."

You see here how Paul is saying that he is using his best personal judgment, and that what he's saying is not directly from God? He is telling you that he is writing his own opinion. Then, in Paul’s next letter to the Corinthians, he says:

2 Corinthians 11:17

"That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting."

edit on 18/7/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

When the Bible said that they were inspired - it doesn't mean that they are like robots, unable to write what they have in mind. No, God gave them that freedom, he also let them write down their sins and mistakes. In the verses you've quoted - Paul was merely counseling the congregation (according to his experience) as to matters of marriage or singleness. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet

EDMC- I noticed that you haven't responded to my post, the relevant portion of which is:

Problem is that you are not reading the Bible, you are reading YOUR INTERPRETATION of the Bible and you are a fallible human reading it through fallible human perceptions. There is a big difference.

Now, this can be said of any reading of any book that requires thinking and considering, but the fact remains-your understanding of the Bible comes from your interpretations or the interpretations of teachers and preachers. Not to say there isn't value in the Bible, because there is, but it is still your interpretation.

In what way I'm interpreting the Bible? The Bible interprets itself, imho whenever we put our own interpretation without the support of the Bible - that's when we get into trouble.

on this i'd like you to test me out.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

The fact of the matter is, based on your comments so far, you are very misinformed on what the Bible is and how it was assembled... and it seems to me that you're using a holier than thou hard headedness to mask your ignorance of the book you call the infallible Word Of God...

by all means then, please let me know how was the bible put together?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet

Here's what the Bible say:

2Pe 1:20 Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet's own understanding, [fn]

2Pe 1:21 or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

So one must need to test whether an interpretation is coming from God (or from God's Word).

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Blasphemy!!! Don't you dare talk about my napkin religion that way ever!!!!!! You ready to feel the wrath of my napkin????

not sure why the mod did not remove this post

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Moses wrote the first five books - the Pentateuch - the rest of the completed books were collected by one of the most qualified bible writers - Ezra.
I suppose that would also mean that Moses wrote the book of Deuteronomy since it is the fifth book? And he wrote these verses? Deuteronomy 34: 5-7

5. And Moses the servant of the LORD died there in Moab, as the LORD had said. 6 He buried him[a] in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone.

Of course Moses was recognized writer of Deuteronomy - but the last chapter (34) was obviously penned by Joshua - Moses' successor. But this is not unusual as some of the Bibles were written by other people (Psalm) yet the recognized writer was the one who contributed most.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by Cantmakedisup
reply to post by Griffo

But seriously, men wrote the bible. Not 'god'.

True but they were guided by God - thus the author is God - hence God's word.

Where does the bible even say that all of the books that were chosen to go into that collection you call "The Bible" are God's word?

to quote the scriptures again:

2Pe 1:20 Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet's own understanding, [fn]

2Pe 1:21 or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
This must require a belief in the bible in the first place....

I say accurate KNOWLEDGE then faith in order to believe.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Griffo

Where does the bible even say that all of the books that were chosen to go into that collection you call "The Bible" are God's word?

But it doesn't say that "no prophecy in scripture that a group of men will decide upon came from the prophet's own understanding"

Your verse you quoted doesn't say anything about whether or not what you are reading is inspired by God.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Well let's start with you answering the first question I asked you... If Moses authored the first five books of the bible why did he tell two different creation stories in the first two chapters?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Griffo

But it doesn't say that "no prophecy in scripture that a group of men will decide upon came from the prophet's own understanding"

Your verse you quoted doesn't say anything about whether or not what you are reading is inspired by God.

how 'bout this?

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." -- 2 Tim 3:16, 17

Or these (and many more)

Rev 1:10 It was the Lord's Day, and I was worshiping in the Spirit. [fn] Suddenly, I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet blast.

Rev 1:11 It said, "Write in a book [fn] everything you see, and send it to the seven churches in the cities of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea."

-- NLT

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join