It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Ever Picture of Rainbow Toad, Found After 87 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39d6247f4488.jpg[/atsimg]
An adult female Bornean Rainbow Toad, also referred to as Sambas Stream Toad, was spotted by scientists in Penrissen, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, June 13, 2011.

One of the world's 10 most-wanted amphibians has finally been spotted (no pun intended). The Borneo Rainbow Toad, known for its vibrant, patchy coloring and unusually slender limbs, eluded scientists for 87 years before being spotted June 12 in the forest on the Malaysia-Indonesia border.

The toad was last seen by European explorers in 1924, who left detailed sketches from the 1920s as the only illustrations identifying them.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02faa08e641f.jpg[/atsimg]

The researchers, working as part of Conservation International's Search for Lost Frogs initiative, discovered two more toads nearby, ranging in size from 3 centimeters to 5.1 centimeters. The adult female, adult male and juvenile all had bright pigmentation.

"The European explorers had found the frogs at a lower elevation. Logically that's where you would expect to find them again," he said. "Some studies have shown that some species are moving up in response to climate change."

Source: abcnews.go.com...

LOVE IT. Isn't nature just full of surprises. You learn something new everyday-especially at ATS.

To cool. Now the wife will want one of these. She saw an all blue one that she wanted also:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96743b4808e6.jpg[/atsimg]

We are into toads. I have 2 HUGE ones around my house. We were watching him last night hop around and gobble up little crickets-under the Full moon light. Just so much fun with the wife and kids. Totally unexpected.

Well, the guy that found this baby was one lucky dude. I am glad his efforts paid off.

Makes you wonder what there is out there that WE will NEVER know about as they have gone exstint. However, on the other hand, maybe there is hope that those species will somehow survive, flurish and be "re-discovered" in the future.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Awesome frog, great thread.

Goes to show that even with Google Earth we shall continue to discover new things!

P.S: If you resize it all awesome-like I will sport that as my avatar.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Very prettyful!
It amazes me how beautiful and colourful animals/reptiles can be

Thanks for sharing op

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the list of animals that have never been seen again (still) is much, much longer, and growing.

Cool story.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
All bow down to Hypno toad!!

Cool find, always good to know nature thrives.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Posting now so i can come back and see the pics. Kawabunga dude!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Must be a very wise toad to elude humans for soo long.
Hopefully it isn't taken into a lab and "studied".

Very cool toad!
Thanks for the post!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Oh what an interesting looking little fella he is!! I do love it when new things appear when you think theres nothing else left of this planet that has not been tampered with or erased,

Hopefully this little guy will breed and head of to the unknown paths of us humans,

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Yes indeed, very interesting.

I have been looking for photos of the other two noted but nothing as of yet.

Must not be as eye catching as this baby!

If you stare at her long enough.... you start to hear the DOORS/Jim Morrison. (well I did anyway
)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Awesome pictures.

It's amazing some of the stuff that is out there if you just spend some time looking for stuff. I've seen all types of new critters to me especially when i've had to spend long periods out in the desert.

Really fascinating stuff.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I'm glad you like the thread and pic so much.

I'm sorry I don't know how to down size a picture.

Let me know what to do. Can you go to my media and get it?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I love those little guys, frogs and toads have got to be the most vividly colorful animals on the planet, next to birds probably. I used to have a ton of poisonous dart frog pictures saved on my old computer and I would always have some cool-looking frog as my background.

What's the difference between a toad and a frog?

reply to post by ThinkingCap

Goes to show that even with Google Earth we shall continue to discover new things!
I'm not trying to derail the thread, but check out this cracked article about discoveries made by actually using Google Earth.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is a wonderful thread! I love the pretty colors of the Rainbow Toad what a great find i love frogs and toads.. We have many toads around our property this year i think there just so cute ..I hope they find more lost species S&F

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I like frogs, especially the very colorful ones. Around here, we just have the regular greenish or greyish kind. I found a toad once that was sort of reddish colored, sort of a dead pine straw color.
I know you should never pick up a very bright blue or yellow tree frog from the jungle. Probably any frog from the jungle at all, but especially a colorful one.

I know I was watching a documentary once and there was the cutest but tiniest little frog that almost jumped on this man and he freaked out and said if it had touched his skin it would have probably killed him. It was such a tiny frog, like the size of a dime.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
WOW! How adoarable. I had no idea we had such pretty toads! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! So many amazing creatures in the world!!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
cool pictures. I always love watching all the documentary on animals the BBC would have to be the best ones.
I remember when i was little my older sister told me if i kissed a toad i would get magical powers....
she lied
edit on 15-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It's Kermit Skiddles!
Very nice, thanks for sharing. The diversity of the forests amazes and inspires, both in plant and animal species.
You might enjoy another celebration of frogs here *

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing this interesting story. Nature always amazes me. I hope they left the little guys were they found them in the wild.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Very Nice Find! Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I was thinking.

I wonder what the reaction of the first people to see it was. They must have been blown away by the oddity of it and the beauty of it-at the same time.

And, to sketch it. People probably didn't believe them.... "Oh sure there is a brightly multi-colored Toad..."

What did they say back then? "Without a sketch-it didn't happen...."

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join