It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Ever Picture of Rainbow Toad, Found After 87 Years

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
that's it? only 1 picture of this rainbow toad?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wow,thats a pretty good looking frog,very colourful,thanks OP.

As good as this is,it makes me think of how us humans are affecting nature the way we do....

Cheers

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

I KNOW. That' s what I found out when I went looking. Hopefully when they get all back and settled, they will put more up. I looked for video also. You would think...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

A nice light thread once in awhile is always refreshing. He sure is one unique looking fella, this toad looks more reptilian then amphibian to me. Especially his head and nose. I am fascinated with wildlife. We are constantly coming across more species all the time, and that is just on land. There is a lot of unexplored ocean out their!
I thought I would use this post for a quick message not many people know about for some reason, please do not feed any type of water fowl or bird bread. It is not good for them and they will die if to much is consumed. It is safe to feed them grains though I don't think people should feed any wildlife at all IMO.

Good post Anon! S+F

peace, Nova
edit on 15-7-2011 by Novatrino because: spelling

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool, I dont think we've found half the species on this planet.
Crazy it took 87 years though, you'd think there are better things to do than look for toads?
I dunno.

I'd star and flag but i dont know how to

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregory11

If you want to star and flag just click the blue flag word on the left side and to star just go to the OP or opening post and click on the hollowed out star.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
"oh wow!"
pore guy, I hope hr finds a girl friend.
I wish they would just let the land keep its secrets and grow.
there is so much land that uset to have trees in UK.
but now its just empty.
they could plant lots of trees.
it would do the world a lot of good.
in so many ways.
they could even use 1/4 for logging.
as long as they Never touch the other 3/4.
so it would pay for its self to.
so stupid you humans.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
So is this toad so colorful because of camouflage or because it's poisonous? Cool find. Hopefully we can get DNA samples at least so that even if their habitats disappear, we will have something left.

Here are the top ten "most wanted", according to the FBI, check, Conservation International, link provided by harlot7 earlier:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b31411a1282e.jpg[/atsimg]

Go number 8! GO!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What a bittersweet thread - sweet for those marvellous inspiring discoveries in nature, and bitter for the knowledge that us humans have made such a rotten mess on this beautiful planet.

I accidentally killed a tiny little salamander in my garden the other day. It was a beautiful little thing, and I never knew there were amphibians like that in my country, let alone in my garden. I had such a sickening feeling when I watched it die after I had scraped that heavy plant pot over its tender belly and its insides came out. Only then did I get a chance to study its graceful beauty.

We need another Noah's Ark to preserve man and animals on this earth the way we are going.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Verry niice, this is part of the reason I love this website, ive seen alot of new species just by checkin ats. Thanks foe the post

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Awesome map! I didn't even see that! Now, to all our fellow Columbian ATS members, look for that beaked frog for me & send me a pic. Just don't tell anyone where you found them ; ) Let them stay hidden.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Makes you wonder what there is out there that WE will NEVER know about as they have gone exstint. However, on the other hand, maybe there is hope that those species will somehow survive, flurish and be "re-discovered" in the future.

could that toad be a cross breed? two toads diff colors go at it lol to make rainbow or maybe one lady toad got hit up by all the colors of toads n poped him out. animals are as unique as us

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Awesome find! I don't think it's that pretty honestly lol I know shoot me
I like the blue one you posted though, that one is very pretty!

It's amazing what we find after so many years. Makes u wonder what's still out there! Our planet is awesome!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
That is pretty cool. It sucks that all the really pretty colors in nature are used up on animals like toads and frogs and bugs and stuff. I would like to see vibrant red an blue cats and dogs but until then, this is a really neat find. Nice to see some stuff is still getting by just fine without us.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
What's the difference between a toad and a frog?

Taxonomy of frogs and toads:
Kingdom: Animalia
Subkingdom: Metazoa
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Amphibia
Order: Anura

After this you get to family, and that is where frogs and toads split. True toads are all members of the family Bufonidae. There are also several frog species that are called toads in the common name, but if you look up the scientific classification, this reveals that they are indeed frogs. They are just called toads because of their resemblance to toads.

Frogs have finer bodies with narrower waists while toads' bodies are broader.
When on a flat surface, frogs lie flat, but toads tend to sit upright.
Frogs have feet which are specially structured to act as suction caps to enable them to climb trees and other surfaces. Toads are entirely ground-dwelling.
Frogs have an amazing variety of colours - green, yellow, orange, red, black and even blue. Toads are duller in appearance.
Frogs have long, webbed hind feet: they can jump and leap very far because they have strong back legs, but toads cannot leap very far or jump very high because they have short hind legs. Toads walk instead of hopping.
Some frogs have poison glands, but all toads have poison (Paratoid) glands behind their eyes.
Frogs have slimy, slippery and delicate skin, but toads have drier skin with warts.
Frogs' eggs are laid in bunches or clusters, whilst toads' eggs are laid in long strings.
Generally, frogs live near water (although there are some desert species which hibernate until rains come). Toads tend to live on land, although near boggy areas.
Some frog species are diurnal and some are nocturnal: toads are almost exclusively nocturnal.
Frogs have teeth for gripping their food (not chewing). Toads do not have teeth.
There are no native toad species in Australia, but there are many native frog species.
Frogs have smaller ear drums than toads.
Toads have different cartilage in their chest compared to frogs.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...

I was going to say frogs have a tenancy to hang in trees and water more while toads are more land based..

Also I think toads are more anti social and only hang around others when they want to have sex(spring) I am going on the american toad here however.

Other than that I have no idea what the differences in toad and frog are.. Although I hear they both taste like chicken.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I am been meaning to do that-the comparision.

Thanks. Star

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Ya no problem.. I had nothing else better to do when I did this..

I used to have 5 toads a while ago i found on the side of the road as tadpoles.. I wanted to do a science project for my kids so I got into an obsessive interest with these toads and learned alot about them.. If you look up my past threads i made you will see what having them toads led me to.. They are pretty interesting animals.. exp when you feed them lightning bugs..

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I never tried that. Tadpols. Hmmmm.

I was wondering why there was more mention of them collection specimens and/or video.

One would think..... Unless, they only found those few and decided against it. Or it wasn't the time to do it-logistically.

We were watching our pet toad last night, eating up buggies. Not really a pet but we adopted him. As big as my fist (and I got a big fist). The wife build a Toad House... but he doesn't like it. Everytime she puts him back...gone the next morning. Maybe he doesn't like the color.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join